SimCity Offline-Mode Patch Won't Be Arriving "Any Time Soon"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Vault101 said:
Deep breaths vault, deep calming breaths. :p

You have to remember, you are talking to a person who thought that "that game where you try to hook up with cripples" which was released for free....was a highly pirated game.
yeah that did....raise the red flag (well it was already raised but it hoisted it further) its just when people put "lol" at the end of their points it pisses me off to no end

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
Desert Punk said:
If you want a really good laugh

http://www.ea.com/executives

Not a single one of their own executives are even playing that shitty game they released :3
The real comedy is the two people playing warfighter.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Vault101 said:
Deep breaths vault, deep calming breaths. :p

You have to remember, you are talking to a person who thought that "that game where you try to hook up with cripples" which was released for free....was a highly pirated game.

And here, this should entertain you:

That guy was either a troll or very poor researcher.

Also: Are the other Saiyan Lets Plays as good as the Simcity one? Because that was brilliant.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Ed130 said:
"Think Consumers First"?

Aww, it's cute, they must think we're anthromorphic wallets.

OT: Oh Maxis, Maxis, Maxis...I loved the Sims series (Though with Sims 3 you just went weird somewhere...) and now you're shooting yourself in the foot. I've never had any interest in your new SimCity game and that worsened when I saw two DLC 'skins' go for pre-order for $10 each. That's when the alarm bells went off pretty hard. Heck, I didn't know about the multiplayer focus or the always online DRM till a couple of days before release.

It's easier to dig to the side and up! Going down will just help you find lava!

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Vault101 said:
....assuming your not joking

what? how the hell is a game like Diablo 3 "niche"
Diablo 3 is a game made to cater toward the Dungeon-Crawler/Diablo Franchise niche.

I didn't say it was a small niche, but it certainly isn't a game designed to appeal to people not already interested in dungeon-crawlers or previous Diablo games.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
Then I hope they won't mind if I have no plans to give them my money anytime in the foreseeable future.

"but, but, but, you're a huge pile of money looking at me!"

OT as soon as I heard this was always online I lost interest, as far as I can see there is no reason why they couldn't have made it a solo game as well as a online multiplayer.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Sonic Doctor said:
I wish they would just say no. They kept harping on and on that the single player was going to have to be online for their DRM to work.

---------------------------------
I wish EA would stick to their guns more often and just tell people, "This is how we are going to do business, deal with it, move onto to someone and something else. And, if you use piracy as a way to 'get back at us', will rain fire and brimstone down upon you, for pirates are the evil plague that needs to be eradicated."

Yes they would lose paying customers, but not enough to matter. I know there are plenty of people that play EA games, like me, that can easily put up with what they do. I hate more the pirates and people that think they deserve to play games the way they want instead of how they were designed, than having a little inconvenience of waiting a little bit as they fix the problem and get the DRM to work.

I'm all for a war against piracy even if there are friendly casualties blown by the wayside. Pay or you don't play. Don't have a demo to test a game, too bad, look at reviews and let's plays to make your decision, or pay and live with the purchase. Don't have the internet to handle the game, too bad, wait till you do or find another game.

I seriously don't care if I'm viewed as some mustache twirling bad guy "ruining" fun and "consumer rights", as long as I know I'm on the right side.

Come on EA, don't falter to the silly complaints. Channel your wrongly demonized outside and practices, while nurturing that good at heart core that they are to blind to see.
I'm not actually interested in debating piracy with you, I just thought I should point out that nobody ever thinks they are on the wrong side.

On second thoughts, let's talk. Punishing paying customers, even by accident, is only helping the pirates.
If we are comparing this issue to war then it would be like carpet bombing an area based on a rumour that your enemies are there and damn the consequences.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Nocturnus said:
Here's the fact of the matter. SimCity, from the very beginning, was designed to be an online multiplayer game.
No, the fact of the matter is that SimCity is a single player game, just like every previous version, and they shoehorned multiplayer elements in to try and justify the always online DRM. Too bad nothing ever justifies always online DRM, especially when it fails this spectacularly.

But hey, keep defending EA for no reason, they might notice and send you a fruit basket one of these days.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
zinho73 said:
NotSoNimble said:
Sidney Buit said:
NotSoNimble said:
EDIT: Before you troll me: Look at the companies that are currently being pirated the most... Square Enix, Bethesda, hell, even Valve games are more pirated than Diablo 3... lol
#1 pirated game: Crysis 2 (EA)
#2 pirated game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
#3 pirated game: Battlefield 3 (EA/Sega)
#4 pirated game: FIFA 12 (EA)
#5 pirated game: Portal 2 (Valve Corporation)

Would you like to rephrase your statement?

I suppose you could look at Diablo 3 specifically, but that's a niche game that only a tiny portion of gamers would even enjoy. I haven't even once been motivated to look at Diablo 3, and none of that has anything to do with it having online DRM.

Edit: The above list are PC piracy stats from 2011. Similar results are found on other platforms and other years.
Diablo 3 doesn't have the always online DRM? The games you listed do?

Eh?

EDIT: Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Farcry 3, and Skyrim are at (mostly) the top today lad. They don't have the DRM. Or am I wrong about that? I admit, I could be. I only hear about Diablo 3 and Sim City being the devil.

There are more sure, but even Minecraft is currently being pirated more then Diablo 3.... so is Assassins Creed Revelations.... REVELATIONS for damned sake!

Boarderlands 2, the Japan graphic novel where you try to score with cripples, a lot of games that were released well before Diablo 3. Left 4 Dead 2... Amnesia the Dark Descent, Batman Arkham city, COD MW2, CIV V, Total War Shogun 2, Mafia 2, ect ect

But NOOOOOOOO

It's always online DRM that makes people pirate.... lol

People don't pirate games made from good devs right?

Tell that to the thousands of people right now pirating The Witcher 2!

*giggles
Always online DRM clearly reduces piracy - at the expense of harassing paying customers. Those companies are making you pay for their problem.

More important, it is not clear if piracy even reduces revenue for the companies, because most pirates would not buy the game anyway. The extra cost with servers and maintenance (and free games and law suits and returns) might not be worth it.

On top of that, companies are losing their good will. Diablo 3 only sold its millions copies because of the name alone. I, for one, am not willing to ever pre order a game from Blizzard again, and gave buying the next Starcraft.

Atrocious DRM can hurt your business a lot and, most importantly, hurts the consumer - the game is not yours anymore and this is simply terrible.
^This. This man's got it.

I'm pretty sure the statement 'DRM hurts the paying customer more than anyone else' rings truer than ever before in this case

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Reducing piracy is basic raising fidelity. And fidelity in business and in personal life requires the same thing:

Respect, willing to give up certain things, complicity and care.
Being good in bed also helps.

Imposing conditions in order to be together may work for awhile, but sooner or later, people would not mind about you anymore.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Sonic Doctor said:
Yes they would lose paying customers, but not enough to matter.
All I can do is hope that it is indeed enough, because when enough people give in is how consumers as a whole get trampled.

Sonic Doctor said:
I know there are plenty of people that play EA games, like me, that can easily put up with what they do.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Sonic Doctor said:
I hate more the pirates
Fair enough

Sonic Doctor said:
and people that think they deserve to play games the way they want instead of how they were designed
And why is that? Exactly what harm am I doing to a game by modifying it to be more fun for me? So long as I'm not reselling it, profitting from it, or claiming the modified form is entirely my own creation, how does it harm the creator? I was unaware the developers somehow know what I like better than I do myself. The odds a publisher will make exactly the experience I want are slim-to-nil, but what they make might be close enough that I can turn it into a more perfect experience for myself. I will never buy into the idea that a game is a service or a rental or a license instead of a product.

Sonic Doctor said:
, than having a little inconvenience of waiting a little bit as they fix the problem and get the DRM to work.
Waiting a little bit, waiting even one single microsecond, that product is not functional(and therefore arguably fraudulently advertised and sold) as was agreed when the client paid money for it.

Sonic Doctor said:
I'm all for a war against piracy even if there are friendly casualties blown by the wayside.
People like you are the reason for things like minimum wage, workplace safety regulations, consumer rights&recourse, and so on; the kind of intentionally-isolated-view who couldn't care less, or worse pretends that the misfortunes of others aren't real, until you're the one being kicked around.I'm absolutely aghast that you'd consider committing fraud (You're 'friendly casualties' who will be cheated out of a game they paid their money for) an acceptable behavior by a corporation, or anyone. I'd guarantee that if you were the one who's game was disabled by a faulty piracy-flag, accused of being a pirate when you sought technical support, and had your Origin account and all the games on it locked because of it, you'd be crying bloody murder over that injustice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came

Sonic Doctor said:
Pay or you don't play.
Fair enough
Sonic Doctor said:
Don't have a demo to test a game, too bad, look at reviews and let's plays to make your decision, or pay and live with the purchase. Don't have the internet to handle the game, too bad, wait till you do or find another game.
Absolutely unacceptable; how is it fair/right/good/beneficial that the consumers, who DO pay for the product and keep the company in business, suffer for the acts of the pirates? This is like saying it's acceptable to assault one of your friends so long as you yourself were attacked by someone earlier.
A let's play, much less a review (and that's before even considering corruption) is wholly insufficient to emulate the actual experience of playing a specific game.
Wait till you have internet? You can't be serious. That will never happen in rural areas until/unless it becomes legislated (as was done with phone lines), and even then it would takes years, if not decades, to construct the infrastructure. And that's not even accounting for things like frequent travelers. And if this practice isn't stopped dead in its tracks, soon the 'other game' possibility wont exist for those people.

Sonic Doctor said:
I seriously don't care if I'm viewed as some mustache twirling bad guy "ruining" fun and "consumer rights", as long as I know I'm on the right side.
1. No one ever thinks they're on the wrong side.
2. How is what you're suggesting not 'ruining consumer rights' then? What's the line between acceptable/unacceptable? What recourse would a consumer have over being explicitly robbed?
3. If you get your way, you entirely deserve what's coming; publishers won't stop where they are now, as companies like EA will do as they have always done: they will keep pushing exactly how far they can exploit people like you.

Sonic Doctor said:
Come on EA, don't falter to the silly complaints.
Whether or not EA's launch of the Simcity is ultimately determined to be fraud or not from a legal perspective, the allegation itself is a pretty damn serious matter. Serious enough that people are taking it to their banks and implicitly accusing EA of such by instigating back-charges.

Sonic Doctor said:
Channel your wrongly demonized outside and practices, while nurturing that good at heart core that they are to blind to see.
The only thing EA want's to nourish is their bank account, and they will happily abuse your faith in them to do it.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
NotSoNimble said:
EA Maxis is working/updating/changing things, in such an aggressive way, that PC gamers should be thankful.

The numbers have spoken, and this much care (after launch problems) is truly a step towards the right and only direction.
So basically your idea is this:

Yeah no thank you, Maxis fucked up on this big time and I'm not wasting my money on DRM that has been proven to not work.

And Diablo wasn't pirated that much because it was a rubbish game.

Oh and how bethesda gets pirated a lot? Your right, you want to know what else?

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

Yeah, look how BADLY no DRM is hurting them.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Crazy idea here...but if you want to "earn back gamer's trust" then maybe you shouldn't blatantly lie about offline mode being impossible to do.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
I've got news for ya, doc. That kind of honesty WOULD kill the company, which is why they can't do it. Think about it. They already say alot of boneheaded things in an attempt to keep things in check. If they're honest now, they're dead.