SimCity's Toothpaste Partnership Gets Off to a Sparkling Start

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
If someone has that animated gif of that news reporter's head exploding (or whatever he was... guy with glasses and moustache in a suit), please post it for me. I don't think I can accurately say my reaction to this article without it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Gonna brush my teeth
driving my Nissan Leaf....

Damn, was gonna write a poem to our beloved corporate overmasters but those don't quite rhyme.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Because when you think of videogames, you also think of dental hygiene.

Just seems like a logical jump to me.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Chessrook44 said:
If someone has that animated gif of that news reporter's head exploding (or whatever he was... guy with glasses and moustache in a suit), please post it for me. I don't think I can accurately say my reaction to this article without it.
Here you go.

This seems poorly thought out, it doesn't even have any relation to toothpaste! The chance to win a TV is nice though.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I see why they closed off SimCity with DRM and closed off mods.

Anyone else glad they didn't buy this game?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Well it looks like we have a lot of proponents of tooth decay in here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq-UbBUeCkI

You guys are the teacher.

Kayweg

Aug 5, 2010
Legendary game franchise turns tooth paste promo.

Next up, Home Depot announces new MMORPG.
Working title "Rise of the crowbar", CGI trailer imminent.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Sometimes, I struggle to find meaning within my daily existence at my job-- is what I'm doing important? Will it change the world?

And then I see something like this, which was the primary job of several people (at least) in the marketing departments of EA and for OralB, probably for months.

And I realize, my job is so much better in the deeper meaning department.
Really no contest.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Really, it's just product placement; does it really have to make "sense"?
It could be so much worse; they could be advertising Tenga Eggs.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
duwenbasden said:
poiuppx said:
What saddens me in this whole affair is... well, you know how EA markets the hell out of their games, right? I mean, to the point some games probably have more marketing budget then actual game-creation budget.

This was what they came up with. People were paid and money was set aside for this partnership.

Some days I really want to take EA to the side and explain budgets to them, and how the larger your budget is for product creation & marketing, the more you need to bring in to make a profit, thus creating unreasonable burdens and... look, I'd at least tell them to lay off dumb shit like this.
I just find it amusing a company failing at budget control made a game about budget control.
Irony. They has it. Heh.

On topic: When I stopped laughing, I realized that we're watching the EA monolith slowly but surely collapsing.

They're drawing as much money as they can from whatever source they can, in this case, Proctor & Gamble. I imagine in a year or so, we'll hear an Enron-style story about how the execs poured fortunes into their wallets just before the company collapsed. Wall Street will sigh, "Another one?" and players of their games far and wide will be as irritated as people who use The Sims Social are right now.

Enjoy the show, folks, and please stand well away so you don't get splashed.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
kailus13 said:
Chessrook44 said:
Here you go.

This seems poorly thought out, it doesn't even have any relation to toothpaste! The chance to win a TV is nice though.
Yep that's the one, thanks.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
That would make more sense though "Because we're hoping you'll be that excited.""When the servers go down, you can play with yourself!""Because you're playing this for self-satisfaction anyway."

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
*sigh* If I can play offline....I'll be buying this for PS3....I know. I'm ashamed. BUT IT LOOKS FUUUUUUN!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
I might actually buy SimCity if that was the offer...

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
So which brand of toothpaste do i buy for the "play offline" dlc?

Sorry, EA brings out the snarkiest in me.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Kayweg said:
Legendary game franchise turns tooth paste promo.

Next up, Home Depot announces new MMORPG.
Working title "Rise of the crowbar", CGI trailer imminent.
Isn't that a Gordon Freeman sounding movie?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
I might actually buy SimCity if that was the offer...
kailus13 said:
That would make more sense though "Because we're hoping you'll be that excited.""When the servers go down, you can play with yourself!""Because you're playing this for self-satisfaction anyway."
Kidding aside, there are cheaper, more effective ways to get involved with a product you enjoy than a shitty video game.
Which about sums up my thoughts on all product-placement.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Kidding aside, there are cheaper, more effective ways to get involved with a product you enjoy than a shitty video game.
Are... are you flirting with us?