Simple

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
My experience with Tumblr is a little different.

To me, Tumblr is a place where a bunch of slacktivists go to smugly make the least controversial social commentary among like-minded people so they can all pat each other on the back for being so progressive.
And mine is just full of funny dog pictures and me promoting my own band. The internet is what you make it!

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
What's wrong with Cardcaptor Sakura? D;

OT: I don't own any social media account stuff. I have a phone, and random people to talk to in pubs/bars.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
CaitSeith said:
RJ 17 said:
As I said in the Off Topic Discussion thread on this note:

RJ 17 said:
*In a pirate voice* Arrrgh! The loyalties of the rabid left be a harsh and fickle mistress!
Seriously, from what I can tell groups such as the over-aggressive feminists will never be satisfied because they don't want to be satisfied. If their grievances were ever addressed and resolved, they'd no longer have anything to be pissed off about...and then what would they do with their lives? They'd have lost their purpose.
I prefer to see them living without a purpose than all of us living in a shitstorm. Luckily those aren't the only two options.
Groups like PETA and some radical-feminist groups and religious groups only real purpose is make themselves feel like they're the only decent, moral people in the world. The best way to keep that up is to have ridiculously unrealistic expectations and interpret everything as uncharitably as possible. The purpose is their own ego and has nothing to do with anyone else.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
whatever55 said:
that looks nothing like josh whedon. 0/10
Well, I was going to point out that it looks nothing like JOSS Whedon, but now I'm just wondering who this Josh guy is.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
I've actually had a really good experience with Tumblr. Probably because all of the blogs I follow fall into one of three categories.

1. Artist's blogs, who are generally too poor and overworked to care about controversy.
2. "Ask-a-character" blogs that run for a couple months, peter out and disappear.
3. Blogatog.

I avoid all other social media like the plague.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Between this and the group of dickbag writers who are boycotting PEN because of their tribute to the 'racist' Charlie Hebdo, it's been a pretty shit month for the 'left'.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
It seems like all nerds both love and hate Joss Whedon simultaneously. Personally I don't get either position.

But yeah, it speaks very well of human nature when the shortest, simplest, and one of the most unregulated platforms is the most popular.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
erttheking said:
It's true. But you want to know what the sad thing is?

These people type in three words of an uninformed opinion and we can't stop talking about them. That's the really sad thing. They barely have to try and the spotlight just zooms in on them.

Cuz we love some bullshit and to have someone to hate.
Which why, though I still hate Twitter, I don't blame it. We've always been like this. Twitter is just the newest way to express what hate-filled little creatures we really are.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
I've never understood the love people have for Whedon. Buffy was good and Angel had its moments and were my first encounters with his work when young but since then It's become obvious he can only write one character. He writes that character very well but it's still only one character.

OT: Every mention of this Snafu is hilarious. The fact is that people who identify as feminists harassed him over black widow and Scarlet witch and yet people are pulling the old "Just because they say they are feminists doesnt mean they are" That they supposedly hate. Says alot about the two camps currently stinking up the internet.

Whedon claims he just left twitter because he wanted quiet time but come on. Theres trying to defend your feminist cred and then theres just Vehemently denying that you are on fire while the flames slough your skin off.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I read a little bit about this nonsense and people need to get a grip. What a bunch of self righteous assholes people are, they think they are better than yet attacking someone with such ferocity as to make them leave twitter shows that those people attacking him are the real assholes.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Hutzpah Chicken said:
I remember the old days before all this social media. The day's that 4chan and 7chan fought in the Boxxy Wars.
My old days were when bandwidth was measured in 4 digit Baud rates...
I wish I could still remember anything else from that long ago.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
RJ 17 said:
I don't care how silly it sounds, but one of the things I am most proud of in my life is that I have never - and will never - had an account on a social network site.
^ TallanKhan likes this.

OT: Every time I see a story like this I lose a little faith in humanity. There is something awfully toxic about the idea that a creative is "at fault" just because their output doesn't fit with any particular group's agenda. Criticism is one thing, criticism is positive, if you find something offensive, say so and if you feel that strongly don't buy the next thing they produce. That said, it is a huge leap from that to "I don't like what you made so you are in the wrong"

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I only have a Facebook to talk with friends, organise meetups with them and hear about news so I can Google it and attempt to find something unbiased/un-sensationalized (It's great exercise for your patience by the way). Never really cared about Twitter or Instagram or Vine or any of that newfangled stuff.
Problem is people take things on the internet too seriously, start following untested things and taking whatever guff they see at face value. People get scammed more easily and just seem to do whatever's hip and cool.
There's no fact checking anymore.
Got into a debate the other day with someone about Islam which started because they used the term 'Dark Ages' incorrectly.
World's knowledge at your fingertips and all that jazz.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I'm kind of confused why people are blaming Joss Whedon's leaving twitter on angry feminists.

I thought he was attacked by angry fan boys who hated Age of Ultron and I was generally under the impression the movie didn't live up to the hype. Hell when I googled what the heck was going on this morning, the first thing that pops up is a Verge article that titled "Joss Whedon says angry feminists didn't drive him away from twitter."

Actually, he's essentially saying the entire internet drove him off the internet because he's looking for a quiet place to write.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I could not agree more more. Burritos fucking rule!

And twitter gets to... Eeesh. You said it all the best, Grey.
I still fucking hate tumblr, too, but twitter's anti harassment policy is so fucking spectacularly useless, they might as well just Dox you themselves.

Also, marzipan condom!? Been watching some of Malcolm Tucker's greatest hits, I see :p
(though to be fair, he used 'marzipan dildo')

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
So, has anyone here bothered to look up Whedon's OWN story in all of this?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/joss-whedon-on-leaving-twitter#.svJP6yp5VO