Simpsons Character to Die in Season 26 Premiere, Clues Given

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Simpsons Character to Die in Season 26 Premiere, Clues Given

The Simpsons showrunner Al Jean says the upcoming death in the show is "obvious," with clues pointing to Krusty the Clown.

While The Simpsons has been on TV for a long time, fans might want to tune in this September for this season's premiere, as a character will die during the episode. During Fox's panel at the Television Critics Association (TCA) press tour, The Simpsons showrunner Al Jean talked about the TV series' upcoming 26th season and even opened up a bit about the character that's set to die in the season premiere. According to Jean, "It turned out bigger than we thought it was going to be...It's not going to be this blood bath where they all get murdered." When asked which character will bite the bullet, Jean mentioned that the actor who plays the character has won an Emmy, and that his clues have been "obvious."

Given that the premiere episode is titled "A Clown in the Dumps," it's easy to think that Krusty the Clown might be the one to croak. And when you factor in that Dan Castellaneta -- who voices both Krusty and Homer in the show -- has won an Emmy, well, all signs point to a grim future for Krusty.

Do you think Krusty will be the one to die? If not him, which character would you prefer be sent to Simpsons heaven? You can check it out for yourself when The Simpsons' 26th season premieres this September 28 on Fox.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I think Sideshow Mel, just because they wanna throw you for a loop. Show's known for its curveballs.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
BanicRhys said:
Let them all die, I say.

That said, it'll totally be Sideshow Bob.
I hope the show goes on till the day I die. Its a comfort blanket that I like and its better written than Family Guy. No matter how bad the show gets they aren't going to go back and go all George Lucas on the early seasons everyone loves and grew up with, they'll still be there. I mean the Simpsons isn't even a show that is clearly bad for a culture like a show like jersey shore or some other cheap low brow POS. So why not?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
The Simpsons jumped the shark so long ago it's not even funny. I really don't care which character dies; they collectively died in my estimation years ago.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Scorpid said:
BanicRhys said:
Let them all die, I say.

That said, it'll totally be Sideshow Bob.
I hope the show goes on till the day I die. Its a comfort blanket that I like and its better written than Family Guy. No matter how bad the show gets they aren't going to go back and go all George Lucas on the early seasons everyone loves and grew up with, they'll still be there. I mean the Simpsons isn't even a show that is clearly bad for a culture like a show like jersey shore or some other cheap low brow POS. So why not?
Hey let the "the show has been shit since [insert season here]" train roll, it's funny to watch it descend into mindless bickering.

That said I haven't watched it for years, mostly because I don't watch TV these days.

The show never got bad, it just parodies a family archetype and a world that no longer really exists.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
inu-kun said:
Mr. burns or grandpa simpson is my bet, but I'm too lazy to look if their actors won an emmy.
Grandpa simpson is the same voice actor as Homer and Crusty, so, Yes, he did.

As for Mr, Burns. Harry Shearer has won an Emmy too.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
BanicRhys said:
Let them all die, I say.
Yeah...say someone is going to die to get people guessing, and kill everyone off in the beginning of the first episode.

Then run the thing with half the scence backwards and in a weird order, and show how the apocalypse came.

Have zombie Maggie being thrown out the window by a dying Homer, and the show is suddenly worthwhile again.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Alex Co said:
Given that the premiere episode is titled "A Clown in the Dumps," it's easy to think that Krusty the Clown might be the one to croak. And when you factor in that Dan Castellaneta -- who voices both Krusty and Homer in the show -- has won an Emmy, well, all signs point to a grim future for Krusty.
What kind of logic is that? A voice actor for several characters has won an Emmy, therefore "all signs" say one of those characters will die?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Let's look at the major characters who have died [http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/In-show_deaths]:
-Maude Flanders
-Chip Davis [http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Four_Regrettings_and_a_Funeral]
-Ms. Krabapple[footnote]Kind of. The Character was put out to pasture when the voice actor died earlier this year and was implied that she had passed.[/footnote]

So, setting aside the obvious pattern of Flander's being the harbinger of death, here's people it's definitely not going to be:

Mr. Burns: He's a stand in for way too many tropes and figures to make this work
Grandpa Simpson: You can't kill the only old guy in the family.
Apu, Moe, Lenny, Carl: all solid support characters that would hit too close to home
Flanders: Yeah, sorry, he's not going away.
Sideshow Mel: Given he usually get's one of the initial mob shots, I don't think he's going away...
Any of the Simpson family: Kind of like killing Brian (which I maintain was well executed and could have been made permanent, even if the replacement character needed more development), some things just don't go over well with the audience.
Krusty: Actually, it could be him, but he's also one of the five members of the Springfield GOP, a major point of commonality to a huge number of characters, and the only other TV personality other than Kent Brockman

Who it could be:
Kent Brockman: despite being able to get more mileage out of this one in later episodes, his actual position is completely replaceable.
Sideshow Bob: He increasingly has little to do with the series, giving him a send off would be a good way to end that decades-running joke
Barney: Close enough to homer to really pack a punch

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The title of the episode kinds of gives away that Krusty or Bob will be at the center of it. The list of people that man voiced is pretty long, and some of them would be more interesting from a story perspective (like Barney or Grandpa), but the show was never good at being poignant; so my guess is one of those two...
DaxStrife said:
Alex Co said:
What kind of logic is that? A voice actor for several characters has won an Emmy, therefore "all signs" say one of those characters will die?
Read the article. "the voice actor won an emmy" was a clue about the character's identity...

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Unless they kill one of the Simpsons family (except grandpa) it doesn't matter. The only consequence would be that they lose a side character that they can use as a focus in future episodes and it will give a related character a few possible plotlines for the future.

I read somewhere that they planned originally for Krusty to be Homer in disguise. If they had stuck with that idea it might be a very interesting episode if Krusty is going to die.

NoX 9

I Want A Hug!
Jul 2, 2014
I guess ratings must be down? Fuck, it worked for Family Guy!

I've never really followed The Simpsons much. It's mostly funny when I watch it though, but I guess I haven't connected with the characters the way many others must have for them to want to do this.

Frostnatt

Apr 18, 2012
The original quote was "won an emmy for the role" and have appeared atleast two times. 8 different actors have won an emmy specificly for one role.

That leaves us with Bart Simpson (entirely unlikely), Homer Simpson (possible), Marge Simpson (most likely of the regular cast), Rabbi Hyman Krustofski (Possible), Lisa Simpson (unlikely), Edna Krabappel (already dead), Apu (Possible), Sideshow Bob (possible)

Most likely Sideshow Bob or Hyman Krustofsky (Krustys father) due to the title of the episode. But Krustys father have only been in three episodes (doubt that they would make such a fuss about it if it was him). I would say Sideshow bob.