MarcusStrout

Sep 20, 2008
Lets see here.

Godpower over little people? Check.
Artful Architecture? Check.
You can set them on fire? Check.
What do we do now?

SEQUELIZE IT!

Will Wright has been milking the Sims franchise for all it is worth. The Sims was a monumental step up in the customization process from the earlier SimCities, and The Sims 2 was more of the same, with full 3D and better graphics. With reportedly over 3,600 traits for your Sims and thousands of objects and construction tools to customize, will the Sims 3 be the best yet? Or will it shit the bed if customization goes too far?

EDIT:http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/home.jsp?languageCode=en

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
The problem I had with Sims 2 was there was so many things I could do I didn't know where to start...And I didn't. Sims 3 will make that feeling even worse.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I've never seen customization get too far unless it was interfering with actual gameplay.

But I am disappointed that the graphics of the new game are not all that far removed from Sims 2.

Downside

Sep 16, 2008
definately going to be a hit. The sims series is going to be milked until it keels over. I bet they release a new expansion pack every week until the sims 4 comes out.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
However the graphics of 2 are sufficient for the needs of the games. If they upped the graphics again it would mean the lower end PCs wouldn't be able to cope meaning a huge slice of the fans will not be able to play.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
scarbunny post=9.72749.771828 said:
However the graphics of 2 are sufficient for the needs of the games. If they upped the graphics again it would mean the lower end PCs wouldn't be able to cope meaning a huge slice of the fans will not be able to play.
I disagree. I think by this point most of the lower end PCs should be able to handle better graphics than this. The bump from 1 to 2 was much more dramatic than this bump from 2 to 3.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
I agree that most computers can handle better its the old argument of does sims really need to look better? Sure it would be nice if it did but if they sacrifice game play and new ideas to focus on graphics then they have missed the point.

However Im expecting Sims3 to come with blank white people models, and a stool. Followed quickly buy the "Sims3: Body Shop expansion" and "Sims3: Walls and Roofs"

MarcusStrout

Sep 20, 2008
I am sort of excited for the idea of a seamless neighborhood, and I am glad that they didn't bump the graphics up to 11. I really liked the expansion packs from the original, and liked the gameplay of Sims2. It really comes down to how much customization you are comfortable with.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I want them to blur the lines between reality and entertainment, so that I'm no longer sure whether I'm ruining the lives of real people or just simulations. That's my ideal for this series. I'll give it a ten once I've locked myself in my room and ceased to answer my phone for fear that the police have finally caught onto the 'all-seeing killer.'

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I liked The Sims 2 alot. Don't really understand why theres so much love for the origanal Sims...I was just bored by it. Will Sims 3 be better?...possibly. They're making the whole world seamless, which seems like a good idea on paper but when its put into practice it probley means you can't concentrate on one specific charcter for very long, as theres so many people to deal with.

They've also decided to do away with the whole make your sim go for a shit, or make him eat a sandwhich and they've decided to make it much easier. Which, again, seams like what everyone who hope for, but thats really what the Sims is all about right? Forming a routen for your little guys while still managing to earn lots of money and fuck lots of people. If they just go to the bathroom by themselves...thats a section of the game you no longer have to do, which just means less game for me. Its like in AC where you only need one button to do all the climbing.

At the end of the day, I'll probley get this...eventually. Its mainly my sister who likes the sims anyway (even though her sims die after the first 3 minites even though they got millions of dollars, she has a real nake for making people missable) so if she wants it she can go and buy it. I'm not crossing my fingers and I'm deffintly not picking up ever single expansion pack...this time *turns red and shuffles out of the room*

Doctor Panda

Apr 17, 2008
I have no hatred for the Sims 2 at all - and i was really, really scared they were going to fuck it up. The extra complexity added depth without actually making it too difficult to play, the graphics were nice, and most of the new mechanics were very well balanced. I'd actually be very scared of dumbing it down, since a large part of the appeal (for me at least) was the sense that i could make my sim do whatever i like, even if it makes absolutely no gameplay sense whatsoever. Want to play somebody with OCD who washes their hands every 10 minutes? Go for it! It's a real roleplaying experience in the true sense of the word.

Whether they can improve on that in the sims 3? Well, I'd say no. But i said no about Sims 2 and that blew me away so I'm just going to keep my damn mouth shut.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
The only way they can improve on Sims 3 is to include murder. That would be sweet; purchase a pistol, eliminate your neighbours, throw them in the swimming pool, return home and level up Creativity. And you could make it look like an accident, too! Push bookcases onto victims, drown them in pools, throw a toaster into the bathtub, shove down stairs... the possibilities are endless I tells ya!

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
My only complaint so far is that I don't like the look of the new Sims very much. Eyes are noses are somehow... something... in some way...

SomeBritishDude post=9.72749.772090 said:
I liked The Sims 2 alot. Don't really understand why theres so much love for the origanal Sims...I was just bored by it. Will Sims 3 be better?...possibly. They're making the whole world seamless, which seems like a good idea on paper but when its put into practice it probley means you can't concentrate on one specific charcter for very long, as theres so many people to deal with.
I think it still works like in the previous games. As in, you control only couple of Sims and only they get older.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
You know what? Sims 3 will be an amazing game to play..... after the 5th expansion pact.

Sims 2 is a great game after you add the first couple expansions and ignore the worst load times in gaming history but Sims 3 will follow the same route. The core game will have 3 different shirts, 4 jobs and only a single hat to pick from and it won't be till they released xpac 3428423 that you get the customization you want out of the game.

I think I'll pass.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
The Sims 2 was good when you modded it to the standards of The Sims (1) so no more bullcrap goes down. The Sims 3 is just losing the core parts of the enterprise, except maybe the ability to build a room, put people in there, sell the doors, fill with room with fireplaces and flammable objects, than watch the sims scream for help.

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
NO WILL WRIGHT NO! YOU WILL NOT HAVE MY MONEY! I WILL NOT BUY A NEW GAME AND NEW EXPANSION PACKS FOR THE SAME CONTENT I W.... Whats that? you have combined PETS and MAKING MAGIC into MAKING MAGIC PETS?!?! SIGN ME UP!

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Surely they've covered everything you can do with The Sims by now. How many hundreds of expansions has it been?

clarinetJWD

Jul 9, 2008
I'm sure I'll end up buying it...I loved the original, and never got around to buying the second one, so unless somehow the 3rd is substantially worse than 2, I'll be picking it up to get my Sims fix.