Simulated Mars Mission Turned Astronauts Lazy

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Frozengale said:
They basically just kept describing my life right now. I guess I can compare being laid off to going on a journey to Mars.
I know, it feels like they've been observing me by mistake.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Blarkuntvhite said:
The idea of the first manned flight to Mars bringing along an Xbox or something is rather bizarre
You do realise that a journey to Mars would take several months?

FFS, maybe there is something to the idea that education these days is being dumbed down... >.>

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, the comments on this page are funny. The human body relies on gravity and physical activity to work properly, that includes brain function. There is no such thing as a brain that can operate independent of the body so the body must be healthy. This is the biggest thing that prevents manned missions to mars. People seem to think the fact they are not in space on a momentous journey matters. It doesn't matter at all. The brain will shut down as time goes on. And with the muscular atrophy and bone loss from a zero gravity environment, it will happen even faster. Before the first manned moon mission (trying saying that five times fast), scientists surmised that the energy saved from not using the body would supercharge the brain. It seemed like all win, men to go the moon, they get smarter being in space, and they come home and everyone is better off. The reality is that a zero gravity environment turned them into lethargic lumps after only 8 days in zero g. They couldn't walk unassisted at all when they got back. If you were to sleep for that time, you would still be able to get up and walk on your own (not without a little discomfort, mind you). And their IQ's tested lower after touch down as well. Combine that with little to no way to mentally stimulate the astronauts in such a small environment and you have an impossible mission.

My boss has the idea the best. Build a mobile space station that will travel slower but give the opportunity for more activity and mentally stimulating activities. Even if you build it and it take 8-10 years for the journey, it would still be a much better proposition. They would still need to find a way to stimulate some sense of gravity though. I mean, massive rotating sections may not be possible, but certainly are a step in the right direction.

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
17 months of nothing in an enclosed space? That's almost enough to finish a total war campaign!

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Wait, hold on. Why can't they have natural light? Can't the invest in space windows? I mean, they still get starlight shining on them, right? Or would that be disorienting?

I thought they'd have some sort of look out. And they aren't allowed to put on spacesuits to wander about outside? That'd be good exercise, right?

I don't understand how space missions work. I thought for sure there'd be exercise and windows, though.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Wait, hold on. Why can't they have natural light? Can't the invest in space windows? I mean, they still get starlight shining on them, right? Or would that be disorienting?

I thought they'd have some sort of look out. And they aren't allowed to put on spacesuits to wander about outside? That'd be good exercise, right?

I don't understand how space missions work. I thought for sure there'd be exercise and windows, though.
They could just have windows, sure. If they wanted to die from radiation poisoning and/or cancer. Sure, people can space walk in suits, but their exposure is measured in minutes, not months.

Also, how is floating around in zero G good exercise?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Denamic said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

They could just have windows, sure. If they wanted to die from radiation poisoning and/or cancer. Sure, people can space walk in suits, but their exposure is measured in minutes, not months.

Also, how is floating around in zero G good exercise?
Cos they did it in 2001.

Also, I did say Space Windows. Not glass windows. Make it so the windows are futuristic and not let in deadly radiation. Problem solved probably!

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
A Smooth Criminal said:
I think sitting inside any room with no natural light and not actually doing anything would make anyone lazy and lethargic...

I'm looking at you, yes you...
you caught me.

OT: well, now they know and can prepare the next test i guess. these results seem to be about as expected.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
I think sitting inside any room with no natural light and not actually doing anything would make anyone lazy and lethargic...

I'm looking at you, yes you...
yes, and please tell me how to voilonteer, i want to be the next guinea pig in such an experiment. its heaven. you cna sit on your ass whole day playing games and watching movies.

BlazeRaider said:
17 months of nothing in an enclosed space? That's almost enough to finish a total war campaign!
or a civ 2 game.....

disgruntledgamer said:
The less you do the lazier you get, who would of thunked it. I usually support scientific research, but sometimes you just have to use common sense, besides I'm pretty sure there are millions of nerds around the word voluntarily already doing this experiment for years.
i would, but the food isnt going to buy itself, so i need work :(

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Is this really a good example of what would happen, though? What are the chances that there would ONLY be one person going at a time? Or that they'd be locked out of each others modules? Or that they'd be unable to interact with the rest of the crew? If there's only ONE dude left, things are already fucked to hell, and there's no way (except in some science fiction movies) that he's going to survive on his own on Mars.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Why do I suddenly have to think of the movie Dark Star, where exactly that became a problem as well. Expect that in the movie, they didn't have much more entertaiment, then there would have been in 1980. XD

"Let's have some music in here Boiler! Sure thing!"

Yep, months in a enclosed area, and they could not even get stuff from the shop around the corner. ;D

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
To all those saying that the excitement of exploring space, combined with the desire to keep themselves alive, would keep them active during those long months: I disagree.

For an example - Soldiers in Afghanistan who have to deal with IEDs (or bombs, if you prefer) nearly every day for 6 months manage to get bored by this to the point that they start making mistakes and getting killed - Literally, they get bored of looking for things that are trying to kill them, things they know are there and that they find all the time.

Now, obviously astronauts are going to be more switched on than the average squaddie, but you put anybody in any situation for an extended period without giving them a bit of a change, and eventually they will get bored of it and lose motivation.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
the darknees abyss said:
so being space makes you lazy i need to become an astronaut i already got the lazy thing down.
Yeah I`ll come with you, then I can finally play my gigantic games backlog.

But unfortunately lazyness is the result of the Mission, NOT the Qualification! :-/

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
The solution is simple.

Step 1: Add windows.
Step 2: Make the lighting the same all along the ship - and maybe put it on a 12-hour on, 12-hour dimmed cycle to help regulate those sleep disorders.
Step 3: Zero-g sports room (cause no one can think "zero-g sport" without thinking of something cool and totally not lethargy inducing.)
Step 4: Windows. Did I mention that?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
So it sounds like being deprived of solar radiation causes laziness?

Should have brought a UV lamp in that case.