since when is christmass a religions event?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Yopaz said:
You mentioned the name (which I mentioned at once is only the case for one language).
Well yeah because I figured that's what the topic was about..."Christmas". I also never said that no other celebration exists and that Christmas is the only one and it goes by no other name.

You mentioned that Christians believe they celebrate the birth of Jesus, but ignored my question what difference it is to claim you celebrate the birth of Picasso.
I thought that was rhetorical.

But to answer it, well it isn't, if you want to go ahead I'm not going to stop you :)

You said it was an American thing, but you ignored my question about how a religion with middle-eastern origin with strongest support in Europe has a unique origin for a holiday in America.
Actually I was referring to how Americans would call it "Christmas", at least the English speaking ones, and how some would believe that it is a strictly Christian event. Christianity originated in the Middle East but it has spread to other parts of the world.

You didn't respond to any of this and you still claim to respond to my posts in full.
Okay, well there are you happy? To be honest I don't even know why I needed to have a discussion, I honestly didn't think my post would cause this much hostility and anger over such a petty thing that I don't even care about.

Calm down dude, take a chill pill, a chillaxative, lay down and rest your head for a bit :)

It's all over now (I hope).
Now I don't think you understand my first point there. I said that the name is different in other languages I haven't mentioned one other holiday but Christmas at all.
In English it's Christmas, in German it's Weinacht and in Norwegian it's jul. So what I am trying to make you understand is that the name isn't a good indicator because it changes from country to country. What doesn't change however is that Christians believe this is a holiday that is all Christianity. Also what makes you think I need to calm down? I am slightly annoyed at your claims that you answer my posts in full, nothing more.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Yopaz said:
Now I don't think you understand my first point there. I said that the name is different in other languages I haven't mentioned one other holiday but Christmas at all.
In English it's Christmas, in German it's Weinacht and in Norwegian it's jul. So what I am trying to make you understand is that the name isn't a good indicator because it changes from country to country.
Yes I know, the OP only specifically mentioned America and Australia and only used the name "Christmas", so I tought the issue was mainly with English speaking people and "Christmas" in general.

Also what makes you think I need to calm down? I am slightly annoyed at your claims that you answer my posts in full, nothing more.
Haha, I'm just joking around with you, trying to stop this from spiralling out of control and resort to name calling and other acts of aggression.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
From what I've celebrated, Christmas has become the holiday to gather around loved ones and give presents that are supposed to mean something and then eat a meal that had been previously prepared and talk/have fun for the rest of the holiday.

If that is not Christmas, then I don't want your holiday.

In defense of the Christ part of Christmas, my mother has a manger scene by the tree. That's about it.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
SamuelT said:
Zen Toombs said:
Also, Santa is St. Nicholas, a Catholic Bishop. Just throwing that out there.
Nope!

The dutch, and inspiration for Santa, Sinterklaas is St. Nicholas. Santa I believe was inspired by this phenomenon and created by some company or other, I think it was Cola.
Um, how are we not saying the same thing? (Admittedly, you are being significantly more specific, but still.)

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
JamesStone said:
Wasn´t the other way around? Didn´t the Romans stole the Greek´s Gods? Zeus became Jupiter? Hermes became Mercury? I always thought it was that way.
yeah i accidentally mixed them up.