Sink The Pirates

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Geoffrey42 said:
You've just mixed console piracy with PC piracy, and while there are parallels, I think it best if we keep discussions of the two separate.
Acquaintance of mine had Mariokart on the Wii a few days before it was released.

I'm not sure there is a difference.
If console piracy and PC piracy have reached equivalence, what reason do developers have for flocking to the consoles? All just an illusion? I have no numbers to back up my point, and I lack the familiarity with the Console Piracy environment that I have with the PC Piracy environment. All I have to go on in this case is a general understanding that console piracy is not nearly as widespread: yes, for the dedicated, they can do what they want (the homebrew channel looks kind of awesome, btw), but it has not reached the level of Joe Schmoe. Will it get there? Very well could. Just don't think it is right now.

Asehujiko said:
A huge fallacy i see in each and every anti piracy argument is that they consider piracy stealing instead of copying.

To demonstrate it, using your car analogy:
If you have a car and it breaks it's still wrong to steal somebody elses car because that way the other person ends up with no car, which he still paid for just like you.
I wouldn't call this a fallacy as much as a place where the two examples are not exactly parallel. It's worth clarification: when I steal a physical object from its rightful owner, I am causing at least one bad thing, and potentially two. The "at least" is the taking of something from someone else; if they are uninsured, they have just lost that car; if it is insured, I have taken from their insurance company, AND them, because their rates will go up. The "potentially" is the loss of an additional sale to the owner/maker of the car; but, only if I were someone who would've bought a car if it weren't for the theft.

Now, in the internet world, the first half of the analogy doesn't quite fit; I have not denied access to the original purchaser, though, like insurance, if my theft results in increased costs for the manufacturer (paying creeps like SecuROM for snakeoil), the legal purchaser suffers due to increased cost of purchase of future goods. The "potentially" part is that one that we should really care about: if I, the thief, would've made a purchase without easy access to the stolen variety, the manufacturer has lost a sale.

To bring this back round to the current argument, from the "companies are stupid" perspective, the end consumer SHOULD NOT have to pay for the increased cost of integrating things like SecuROM, because A. We know that they don't work, and B. We know that they actually worsen the experience for paying customers, the people the producer/manufacturer should actually care about (as opposed to appeasing their ignorant shareholders, which I know, is their job, but there is more than one way to pander to ignorance).

Finally, to the real point: as John Galt and ErinHoffman have been discussing, the thing that matters is the lost sales for the industry, and whatever impact that has. This is extremely difficult to quantify, and the Cevat position that "every copy made is a sale lost" is stupefyingly ignorant. On the other hand, the pro-piracy position that "the current environment doesn't cost the developers any sales at all" is similarly dumb. The real world exists somewhere in between, and that's the debate worth having.

Unknower said:
Oh yeah, about Crytek, let's defend them a bit. Or actually, let's not be ridiculous.

Stating Crysis works only on 1% of computers is stupid. Maybe this is the same as the "10 means perfect" -argument: I'll never understand how people can think that way. I mean, damnit, what about putting graphics settings to high, medium or even low? For crying out loud guys, you loved Portal and Crysis probably has better graphics on medium. Think about the gameplay, damnit, gameplay!

Though no 1.3 patch sucks, I agree with that.
I don't feel that I'm being ridiculous. I may be being somewhat hyperbolic, but when estimating (with no real numbers to go off of), it is difficult not to seem so. What you may be ignoring is just how many PCs there are in the world. [a href=http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSL2324525420080623?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews]Gartner says >1 Billion.[/a] Given that, I think my 1% figure is actually overly generous. Crysis is still well known for NOT being optimized to run on lower end hardware (as opposed to the Source engine, which is known for being very good at scaling down), and that's fine. Crysis was designed to be the most awesomest thing at the time that it came out. Why would I pay 60 bucks at launch for a game that I know will only run at a 1/4 of its intended glory on my sad little X800 Pro? I did not pirate it. I simply didn't buy it. Because while I am a member of the PC FPS Consumer segment, I am outside the segment that Crytek chose to target. I'm not even a lost sale! They never wanted me!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Skyweir said:
For all you who say that thievery/piracy is wrong regardless of circumstances, what if a "pirated" drug could save thousands of tuberuclosis or HIV victims that can not afford the legitimate product? Is it still wrong to try to manufacture such a product, and the IP "owners" be damned?
I'd say that they will start bitching that by "denying" income to the pharma company you are slowing the developmet of new medicines.

Another thing i'd like to know is why all anti-pirates seem to think that the law is a flawless divider between inherent and unconditional good and inherent and unconditional evil. The very existance of the usa as independant nation proves that the point is moot.

kiltmanfortywo

Jul 14, 2008
Your idea of the pirated drugs has no bearing in this situation or argument. In you case, pirates are helping the world as a whole while in real life nobody except pirates benefits. This is like justifying murder by pulling out a hypothetical army of zombies.

Kiltman

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
while in real life nobody except pirates benefits.
No.

I'm not a pirate, and they have provided me with benefits. What sort of benefits, I hear you ask? No-CD cracks, for one. The programs that *let* me create the ISOs that allow me to keep my game CDs in good condition for longer, for another.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Asehujiko said:
Skyweir said:
For all you who say that thievery/piracy is wrong regardless of circumstances, what if a "pirated" drug could save thousands of tuberuclosis or HIV victims that can not afford the legitimate product? Is it still wrong to try to manufacture such a product, and the IP "owners" be damned?
I'd say that they will start bitching that by "denying" income to the pharma company you are slowing the developmet of new medicines.

Another thing i'd like to know is why all anti-pirates seem to think that the law is a flawless divider between inherent and unconditional good and inherent and unconditional evil. The very existance of the usa as independant nation proves that the point is moot.
I had a very long bit "bitching" about my point of view on pharmaceuticals, good and bad, and decided it was too off topic, so who cares. Let's actually take this example from left-field and bring it back around to relevance.

Question: When Merck found a cure for Onchocerciasis (colloquially known as "river blindness"; take a wild guess as to why) they did not produce it for a high price and prevent 3rd world countries from getting access. They gave it away. Why would they do something so selfless and nice? They're a giant evil corporation, right? Why aren't the companies with AIDS and TB treatments as nice as Merck? (Why isn't Merck as nice as Merck when it comes to HIV antiretrovirals?)

Answer: There was never a market for Onchocerciasis treatments in 1st world countries, where people can pay the elevated prices that make drug research worthwhile, but live in conditions that don't result in river blindness. By giving it away to poor countries where the disease is endemic, Merck lost no sales to people that would've bought it otherwise (because there was no such population), and gained goodwill to shore up all the "evil" things they are perceived to do. The goodwill was apparently worth more than any marginal return on selling the drug near cost, so they gave it away.

When it comes to drugs that actually have a market in the US, no drug company is nearly as nice. If they don't sell the drug in the markets that will buy it for the price that it will bear, they cannot make back the money they invested in R&D/M&A, and subsequently can't research more drugs. If they give the drug to poor countries that wouldn't buy it anyway, they create a secondary market where people "able" to pay (through insurance, sometimes through the nose, but "able" nonetheless) obtain the generic equivalent from 3rd world countries. This, to them, represents lost revenue, so they just hold onto their precious patents and sell it for as much as they can, for as long as they can, until it becomes generic worldwide. The argument of the "pirates" of pharmaceuticals is similar to that of the software pirates: I'm providing this drug to people that have use for it, but who wouldn't've bought it otherwise, thus the pharmas aren't "losing" anything. The crux lands in the same place: how MANY sales would pharmaceuticals lose by releasing their TB and HIV drugs as generics in 3rd world countries?

All of this to demonstrate that similar forces are at work for videogames. How much money do developers/publishers actually "lose" in terms of revenue not realized by the current piracy environment? Is it really enough to justify all the hoopla?

To your other comment about law as the flawless divider: I agree with you, except that you're generalizing "all anti-pirates", when some anti-piracy advocates have perfectly reasonable perspectives. I think a fairer characterization is that "all poorly thought out anti-piracy arguments" seem to stem from, or at least use as one of their supports, the infallibility of the law.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
kiltmanfortywo said:
By illegally transferring between mediums, you are a pirate. It is illegal and you are a pirate. Yo Ho.

Kiltman
Congratulations on blurring the definition of "piracy" to the point of sheer uselessness. So, any violation of law in regards to Intellectual Property immediately qualifies as "piracy"?

Just tip-top, I say. Tip. Top.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
kiltmanfortywo said:
By illegally transferring between mediums, you are a pirate. It is illegal and you are a pirate. Yo Ho.

Kiltman
Congratulations on blurring the definition of "piracy" to the point of sheer uselessness. So, any violation of law in regards to Intellectual Property immediately qualifies as "piracy"?

Just tip-top, I say. Tip. Top.
Yeah, pretty much. Copyright infringement includes violations of the eula, which is illegal. If your argument against piracy stems totally from legality (which it has to in order to be all encompassing, as loss of sale arguments won't work in cases where no sale was possible to begin with) you might as well throw people who use ISOs, no CD patches, personal use backups and anything else you can think of in with the pirates.

Law is government enforced morality. What is it saying here? Either 'I take bribes' or 'I'm a raving lunatic'.

kiltmanfortywo

Jul 14, 2008
I have stated pretty much anything I got to say here. Now it is just getting repetitive and petty. Apparently nothing I say can penetrate to you the fact that piracy is wrong and it will be impossible for you to convince me otherwise.

If you are a pirate, try to think about things a little beyond your personal sphere and consider the overall consequences of thousands, if not millions of people with the mentality "one person/sale/theft can't make a difference." It adds up.

For those of us attacking piracy, realize it is going to be a fruitless labor. They are so deeply rooted in their false justifications and have lied to everybody, themselves including, so much that it will be impossible to get them to see logic/right from wrong/the truth. It is like trying to interrogate a crazy man; it ain't gonna work.

Kiltman

P.S. I ain't gonna reply to what ever flak this takes.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
P.S. I ain't gonna reply to what ever flak this takes.
Cutting and running so you can ignore that the grey area exists? Cute. (Not that it's much of a grey area...)

They are so deeply rooted in their false justifications and have lied to everybody, themselves including,
Care to explain how I'm lying to myself? Care to explain how I'm using false justifications? Care to explain how, in your words earlier, I'm defending piracy? How I'm a pirate?

Didn't think so.

so much that it will be impossible to get them to see logic/right from wrong/the truth. It is like trying to interrogate a crazy man; it ain't gonna work.
Logic? Backing up my gaming collection so that it lasts longer is proof of logical thought. This is the situation (Playing games with the CD in the drive) > This is what will happen if it continues (CDs wear out faster) > This is the solution. (No-CD cracks/ISOs) Logical.

Right from wrong? Hah. Am I stealing? No. Am I hurting the industry? No. Am I harming people? No.

The truth? You call everybody who uses backups, everybody who does the practical thing to keep their CDs in good shape - and to remove the restriction of "must be near gaming collection in order to game", everybody who doesn't share your opinion... You call all of us pirates. Your views are inflexible.

I'd say I see the truth pretty well.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
kiltmanfortywo said:
I have stated pretty much anything I got to say here. Now it is just getting repetitive and petty. Apparently nothing I say can penetrate to you the fact that piracy is wrong and it will be impossible for you to convince me otherwise.
We are not trying to convince you that piracy is right. We are trying to show you that your arguments are even more retarded then the pirate ones.

Yvressian

Jul 19, 2008
I didn't like the article at all, quite frankly. It was overly smug and completely ignorant for the most part, insisting that modern commercial practise is the carbon copy of an ideal system of social contracts, to which there are no exceptions and variance.
Ryan Sumos take on the subject of piracy was a much more inclusive view that didn't opt for a fingers-in-ears approach, but rather an inclusive perspective that most people would like to ignore becuase it threatens their arguments in the sense that they are found not to be all-encompassing and utterly justified.
First of all, there is allways middle ground to be found in misguided right vs. wrong debates and painting the subject black and white never does anybody any favours.
To pretend that piracy is a case unto itself that doesn't imply personal socio-economic perspective, the availability of products, profit margins, national taxes, varying policies by different governments all over the world which are never the most ideal example of the free market economy in which all members of society are fairly rewarded for their efforts and charged for various services relatively based on their fiscal capacities.
Believe me, piracy would be much less of a problem in a society in which all social contracts would be followed to the letter. In other words most "victimless" crimes occur for various reasons, but not becuase of a few malicious bastards with a messiah complex, which the author seems to think is all that software pirates are. Let me give you an example: in my country (a south-eastern european developing democracy) most smaller software stores offer pirated titles under the counter because they simply can't sell enough retail products to keep in bussiness. The average (legal) game here costs about 100$ (1/11 of the average monthly wage here) because of rediculous VAT taxes and customs taxes. That's a lot more than people can dish out for a single game which they may or may not like (since there are no rental sevices here).
I can certainly understand the frustration of the industry, but the kind of near-sightedness and a childish refusal to take in other opinions demonstrated in this article can only hurt a debate that could eventually help to create a solution to this problem.

radio_babylon

Jul 21, 2008
As I understand the basic fabric of the social contracts that struggle to keep most of humanity from bashing each other's heads in with the bleached femurs of our enemies, there are some basic concepts about right and wrong that we all agree to by living within a society.
this is the root problem right here... i dont mean the violation of the social contract though, im refering specifically to "bashing each other's heads in with the bleached femurs of our enemies"...

a social contract can only be maintained when there exists a suitable punishment for breaches, and a suitable authority capable of appling said punishment.

i feel fairly certain that were i (and my legion of anti-piracy minions) granted the authority to brain any pirate i could get my hands on with a bleached human femur (or other suitable blunt instrument) until their heads popped like an overripe melon, youd see a fairly dramatic decrease in the rate of piracy.

silly sophistry stops counting for much when you know there is a very good chance youll get your grey matter spilled on the pavement for pirating.

incidentally, i think this is actually the primary root cause for the MAJORITY of what ills "civilized" humanity in this day and age: the simple fact that you can walk around being an insufferable cockknocker all the time fairly free from the fear of someone knocking your goddamn block off like it so richly deserves. sure, itll probably happen eventually, but not EFFIN RIGHT AWAY as probably would have happened in a more "primitive" time.

Greg Zeschuk

Jul 21, 2008
Sean, you are very wrong. No matter how many flaming anti-piracy posts you, or anyone else make, piracy is here to stay. If the industry can't deal with the problem and change the game distribution model and pricing, it's more likely the said industry will sink.

Panzeh

Nov 24, 2007
I think the people who say piracy is here to stay are right, but I don't think they'll like the consequences.

Because most good-budget computer games are trying to be sold to tech-savvy teenagers, piracy is going to be a fact of life. This is a demographic that knows how to pirate and for a number of reasons won't spend money on games, and you're trying to sell to them. They are the biggest market for non-casual games and once you stop selling to them, you can kiss your FPSs, RTSs, and RPGs goodbye.

Not to say that you'll never see those genres but you won't see them with the kind of production values and polish you're used to.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
radio_babylon said:
this is the root problem right here... i dont mean the violation of the social contract though, im refering specifically to "bashing each other's heads in with the bleached femurs of our enemies"...

a social contract can only be maintained when there exists a suitable punishment for breaches, and a suitable authority capable of appling said punishment.

i feel fairly certain that were i (and my legion of anti-piracy minions) granted the authority to brain any pirate i could get my hands on with a bleached human femur (or other suitable blunt instrument) until their heads popped like an overripe melon, youd see a fairly dramatic decrease in the rate of piracy.

silly sophistry stops counting for much when you know there is a very good chance youll get your grey matter spilled on the pavement for pirating.

incidentally, i think this is actually the primary root cause for the MAJORITY of what ills "civilized" humanity in this day and age: the simple fact that you can walk around being an insufferable cockknocker all the time fairly free from the fear of someone knocking your goddamn block off like it so richly deserves. sure, itll probably happen eventually, but not EFFIN RIGHT AWAY as probably would have happened in a more "primitive" time.
Killing everybody who disagrees with you doesn't make you right.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
I got three words as to why the industry ought to listen to pirates:
Information.
Is.
Power.

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
Regarding your point about piracy killing PC gaming, I think you are absolutely off-track.

Your willingness to blame pirates for the death of PC gaming omits the fact that acquiring a PS3 is far cheaper than preparing a Crysis-ready personal computer. Not to mention that PC's have been downgraded image-wise from functional supercomputers to internet waystations or WoWBoxes. You might even go so far as to say that PC gaming is a huge, unrealistic luxury at this point, what with the other gaming options available to consolers.

I miss its glory days, I really do. There's no such thing as a real adventure game available on consoles. Certain game genres have nearly vanished. It's not pretty for someone who's been gaming longer than 10 years.

But don't get it twisted -- PC gaming is not a dying beast because of piracy. In the world of video gaming, the big ol' lout is just finding itself hopelessly outdated, watching as the industry evolves without it.

Concave Vex

Jul 22, 2008
Justification is a coping device, entitlement is an illusion, and righteousness never existed in the first place.

Humans have as many rights to self and property as any animal, that is to say none at all; a living organism is a mobile, semi-sentient equivalent to a cup of water.

Ownership is an illusion, thusly are all forms of governance and law fataly flawed; you want a system that has a decent chance of lasting at least a decade uncorrupted look to your over-engineered cup-of-water body for an example.

Simpletons