Six Days in Fallujah Triggers Outrage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Six Days in Fallujah Triggers Outrage

The inevitable outrage against Konami's [http://www.konami.com/] Six Days in Fallujah, an game in development based on the 2004 battle against insurgents in the Iraqi city, has already begun.

Atomic Games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90729-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-A-Documentary-Wargame] with the assistance of numerous veterans of the conflict and will present the battle in a more realistic light than usual, offering "insight" into the reality of war both through the game itself and in interviews with Marines who took part in the conflict that will be interspersed throughout.

But that sort of documentary approach isn't adequate for some observers, who are calling the game "crass and tasteless," according to a report by the Royal Marine [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1168235/Iraq-War-video-game-branded-crass-insensitive-father-Red-Cap-killed-action.html] killed in Iraq in 2003, said the game "glorified" the war in Iraq and showed "very poor judgment and bad taste."

"It is particularly crass when you consider what actually happened in Fallujah. These horrific events should be confined to the annuls of history, not trivialized and rendered for thrill-seekers to play out, over and over again, for ever more," he said. "It's entirely possible that Muslim families will buy the game, and for them it may prove particularly harrowing. Even worse, it could end up in the hands of a fanatical young Muslim and incite him to consider some form of retaliation or retribution. He could use it to get worked up and want to really 'finish the game'."

"I will be calling for this game to be banned, if not worldwide then certainly in the UK," he added.

Similar sentiments were expressed by the TechRadar [http://redirectingat.com/?id=92X363&url=http%3A//www.stopwar.org.uk/]. "It is estimated that up to 1,000 civilians died in the bombardment and house to house raids carried out by invading troops. So many people were killed in Fallujah that the town's football stadium had to be turned into a cemetery to cope with all the dead bodies."

"There is nothing to celebrate in the death of people resisting an unjust and bloody occupation," she continued. "To make a game out of a war crime and to capitalize on the death and injury of thousands is sick. There will never be a time when it is appropriate for people to 'play' at committing atrocities. The massacre in Fallujah should be remembered with shame and horror, not glamorized and glossed over for entertainment."

But of course the truth is that there is an appropriate time to "play at committing atrocities," as evidenced by the plethora of games based on the Second World War and other conflicts that have resulted in far greater loss of life than the war in Iraq. The problem with Six Days in Fallujah, according to Tim Collins, a former colonel in the 1st Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment, is simply its proximity to the ongoing conflict.

"It's much too soon to start making videogames about a war that's still going on, and an extremely flippant response to one of the most important events in modern history," he said. "It's particularly insensitive given what happened in Fallujah, and I will certainly oppose the release of this game."

But at least one former member of the military has expressed support for the game. Andy McNab, an ex-Bravo Two Zero [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service], said the cultural attitude toward videogames in the U.S. is considerably different than in the U.K., adding that in the U.S., "Everybody has been watching it on the news for the last seven years."

He also pointed out that other forms of entertainment have been used to tell stories about the war almost since it began, without suffering this kind of backlash. "In America a 90 year old and a 12 year old will know what happened at Fallujah," he said. "It's on the TV, there are books about it... so the game is a natural extension to that... it is folklore. The only difference being that it is presented in a different medium."

"The media has used the war as entertainment anyway," he said. "The hypocrisy is in the fact that when the media wants a 'shock horror' story they will focus on something like this."

How the game's documentary styling will actually hold up is unknown; despite all the recriminations about what it will and will not do, Six Days in Fallujah is still in development and is only tentatively slated for release sometime in 2010.

via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/04/07/outrage-over-konami039s-quotsix-days-fallujahquot]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Shindler's List is also crass and tasteless. Those horrific events should be confined to the annuls of history, not trivialized and rendered for thrill-seekers to see it, over and over again.

Bah...

Ray Huling

Feb 18, 2008
Malygris said:
But of course the truth is that there is an appropriate time to "play at committing atrocities," as evidenced by the plethora of games based on the Second World War and other conflicts that have resulted in far greater loss of life than the war in Iraq. The problem with Six Days in Fallujah, according to Tim Collins, a former colonel in the 1st Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment, is simply its proximity to the ongoing conflict.

It's not the body count that determines whether a battle is an atrocity or not.

My Lai Massacre? A few hundred people.

D-Day? 20,000+

The former was an atrocity, and we've yet to see a game made about it. The latter was a soldier-to-soldier battle, and you can't get away from games about it.

Fallujah is not controversial merely because it is near to us. It is controversial because people argue--with good reason--that it falls closer to My Lai than it does to D-Day.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
I completely agree with Andy McNab on what he said, this isn't an issue of making any of these war events "glorified", this game is [supposedly] doing the same thing that books and movies have been doing for the last 30 years- presenting a side of the same story that has been given many times before, only this time it's from both a sympathetic everyman role and a character who has been faced with what many would consider the impossible (i.e. The choice over whether to save and take a life).

Unfortunately. the mainstream media doesn't see video games the same as many more intelligent and cultured people see video games- A viable and growing media that is still in it's infancy.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
AUGHH! Urge to kill rising.

People like this need to just piss off and die. When they quoted some guy saying that it will provoke Muslims into violence, I had to stop reading for a few seconds, out of sheer anger at the ignorance.

"These horrific events should be confined to the annuls of history, not trivialized and rendered for thrill-seekers to play out, over and over again, for ever more,"
Yeah, great idea: Lets pretend it never happened. We'll just wait until the next time someone wants us to invade a country on false pretenses, bad intel, and poor planning, to acknowledge we made a mistake.

"It's much too soon to start making videogames about a war that's still going on, and an extremely flippant response to one of the most important events in modern history," he said. "It's particularly insensitive given what happened in Fallujah, and I will certainly oppose the release of this game."
Insensitive to who? The people who fought there? They're the ones that asked for the game to be made. Christ.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I've never understood why it's okay to write books, make movies and TV shows about something, but not make a _reasonable_ game about it. There are bounds of taste, to be certain, but if we can make FPS games about the bloodiest and most costly battles ever engaged in by the human race, then the entire Iraqi war is fair game, too.

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Survival Horror Game??? It does seem a little too soon for a game about the Iraqi war but hey I'd buy it. Unfortuanetly I can see this game being horribly biased, either portraying US soldiers as being horrible evil invaders or the other extreme of them being the ultimate patriotic good guys fighting against the heartless Insurgents.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
oliveira8 said:
Shindler's List is also crass and tasteless. Those horrific events should be confined to the annuls of history, not trivialized and rendered for thrill-seekers to see it, over and over again.

Bah...
All nasty history must be forgotten, after all, if the children forget, it didn't happen, right?
Totally agree. If you close your eyes and wish really hard all the bad things will go away!

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
There are constant news broadcasts about the war. There are documentaries. There is a TV series that recreates the first weeks in Iraq. Several games have already taken place during the conflict as well.

F*** em, one day they're going to have to learn that video games can engage with mature topics just like everything else. The fact that the game wishes to engage with topics like civilians in a war zone and the atrocities of war makes it all the more appropriate.

It isn't about time someone made a game that dealt with this stuff?

confernal

Feb 5, 2009
What a bunch of idiots for hating the game because of that... Do you think that people didn't die in the World Wars? Wheres your critism for that?

elmaxx

Oct 2, 2008
looking forward to this game.

Would like to see what sort of effort was put into it before opening my big mouth and bitching without even informing myself ;)

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Ray Huling said:
Malygris said:

It's not the body count that determines whether a battle is an atrocity or not.

My Lai Massacre? A few hundred people.

D-Day? 20,000+

The former was an atrocity, and we've yet to see a game made about it. The latter was a soldier-to-soldier battle, and you can't get away from games about it.

Fallujah is not controversial merely because it is near to us. It is controversial because people argue--with good reason--that it falls closer to My Lai than it does to D-Day.
?You kill one person it?s a tragedy, you kill ten thousand people it a statistic." By Joseph Stalin.

Dr.Zoidberg

Mar 4, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
oliveira8 said:

Bah...
All nasty history must be forgotten, after all, if the children forget, it didn't happen, right?
If I remember correctly, Turkey still uses this method. Every time someone recognizes the event, they become all defensive and claim it never happened.

And anyway, does anybody even know what story/how they'll tell the story yet?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Glorified the war? Wouldn't we have to see the final game to say that? From what we heard about the design goals it'll probably bang on the "war is hell" drum.

But yeah, it's expected that the news media will pounce on it, after all distorting the facts until it looks like the competition is ruled by an evil overlord is their job.

Ray Huling

Feb 18, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
It isn't about time someone made a game that dealt with this stuff?
Sure. But it's not going to happen here.

This game will be G.R.A.W. with Arabs.

The soldiers will be involved only in the marketing of the game, and a good number of people will be taken in by the atmosphere of authenticity this will provide.

I mean: what stuff do you think this game could possibly deal with? What are the odds that this game will put a player in the position of having mistakenly killed a civilian?

"You blew up the wrong house and crushed three young children to death! Don't you want to kill yourself?!?"

Fighting insurgents amongst civilians and killing a whole lot of both is what Fallujah was all about. There's not a chance this game will deal with that issue.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Which was the town that was leveled due to a firestorm after a allied bombing raid?

Guess what peeps, war is crappy. People die, we lose friends and family.

But we will always have war... If you think you are better than that you are lying to yourself. Ask yourself why most peace demonstrations end with violence? And it isn't because there are lovers of war there.

Loss is bad and every soldiers life is an important lesson in humanity. But to get upset over a game depicting the terrorist take over of a city in Iraq and its subsequent release sounds like it should be a movie. So why not a game?

Dont jump on the sensitive people but don't give in to them either.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Xiado said:
Look, someone will always be offended by something, and will inevitably complain. We should just stop caring.
While that response is reasonable, that is the last thing we want to do in this situation!

If we ever want games to grow as an art form, to be a form of expression, to be able to show atrocities in history, with the maturity and dignity that the people who died should be shown as in movies, books, and documentaries, than we have to face these issues head on.

I get it, it's the Daily Mail, they suck, I know. But even the Daily Mail has a point that if this game turns out to be a glorified version of what is (apparently) a horrible massacre in Fallujha (I don't know much about what happened) then we've just completely desensitized the entire medium!

We have an opportunity to prove these guys wrong, that this game can show the horrors of war while being mature and letting the player know that this stuff was horrible and bad, while at the same time letting the player enjoy themselves somewhat. That combination is going to be hella tough since it's usually one or the other.

I know, the daily mail sucks a load of donkey balls, but we have to take their criticism because we have the chance to prove them wrong. We want to do that, not ignore them and say "Fuck you! We can do what we want!" because then we show that they're right about Video Games being an immature hobby.

Of course, we know next to nothing about the game or how it'll play, so we'll have to wait and see...