Six Hearthstone Cards That Need a Good Nerf

Jun 11, 2008
The Madman said:
Dexterity said:
Priests are countered by 4 damage minions. They really struggle with removing any minion that hits for exactly 4 damage. Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Azure Drake, Yeti, anything.
KDR_11k said:
Both of these are 10 mana cards though, you cannot play them in a turn where you do ANYTHING else and if you draw them earlier than turn 10 you've got dead weight in your hand. Both open you up to being overrun before you even hit turn 10.
drakonz said:
both of those cards are predy much dead past rank 15 so i dont see reason to change them unless you are talking about buff
Yes yes, I know how to play against the cards just fine. I've certainly put enough hours into Hearthstone that I ought to by now. But as I said originally my problem with both those cards is that they're just not any fun. Not fun to use, not fun to have used against. You can't really combo them with anything, they don't really do anything clever, they're just these two big stompy spells that end matches with a resounding sigh all-round.

If I lose to some Jenkins Rogue/Shadowstep combo, that's fine, I probably could have anticipated it and it takes a fair bit of foresight to pull off. Same with the Savage Roar/Force of Nature or even the crazy inner fire tricks Priests can pull off. Hell, even hunters with the damned Unleash the Hounds at least takes *some* effort.

By contrast again Pyro and MC are just... they're boring. That's why I dislike those two cards.
With the amount of cycling that goes into Miracle Rogue and Hunter getting those cards requires about as much effort as Mind Control or Pyroblast. Gadgetzan basically cycles a large portion of the deck and Hunter has Tracking for consistency and deck thinning on top of Flare for deck thinning and a cycle. Also the Druid one is 2 cards. It isn't hard to come up with 2 specific cards to combo in the course of the game.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Dexterity said:
Pyro is just a pain, since its ONLY use is to deal damage to the enemy hero.

Mind control can be easily played around though, and I disagree in how you think it's a boring card. I find it to be quite fun, and can be a huge turnaround to cocky players.
It's not fun to have to play around though, as it makes playing a big creature to try and save yourself impossible. For example if I'm playing my pally deck and I throw down a Tirion at the last moment it can save my ass against the right player, especially if I've been counting their removal and know there's no assassination/hex/poly/etc on the way. But against a priest? Late game cards like that just aren't an option, I can't even play them because I know it's just going to end up hurting me.

MC takes an entire dynamic out of Hearthstones late game experience and I think that's lame and unfun. Ragnaros? Ysera? Tirion? Like hell I'm playing any of those against a priest. Maybe if MC was like Shadow Madness where the effect only lasted one turn but with a reduced cost? Then you could combo it with other cards and do neat tricks with it... But as it stands right now I just don't like it. Same with Pyroblast. Again I just don't think they're fun cards and that they're also so powerful just makes it worse.

You can't really do anything with them, they just end games in an unsatisfying manner with minimal effort. Eug.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
The Madman said:
Dexterity said:
Pyro is just a pain, since its ONLY use is to deal damage to the enemy hero.

Mind control can be easily played around though, and I disagree in how you think it's a boring card. I find it to be quite fun, and can be a huge turnaround to cocky players.
It's not fun to have to play around though, as it makes playing a big creature to try and save yourself impossible. For example if I'm playing my pally deck and I throw down a Tirion at the last moment it can save my ass against the right player, especially if I've been counting their removal and know there's no assassination/hex/poly/etc on the way. But against a priest? Late game cards like that just aren't an option, I can't even play them because I know it's just going to end up hurting me.

MC takes an entire dynamic out of Hearthstones late game experience and I think that's lame and unfun. Ragnaros? Ysera? Tirion? Like hell I'm playing any of those against a priest. Maybe if MC was like Shadow Madness where the effect only lasted one turn but with a reduced cost? Then you could combo it with other cards and do neat tricks with it... But as it stands right now I just don't like it. Same with Pyroblast. Again I just don't think they're fun cards and that they're also so powerful just makes it worse.

You can't really do anything with them, they just end games in an unsatisfying manner with minimal effort. Eug.
See, that's shitty, but neither Priest nor Mage are competitive against current meta-game, which is a WHOLE lot more infuriating to lose to. It's the same mindset except it's more cards that all play on that mindset. Face UTH hunter? Good luck playing ANYTHING. Miracle Rogue? LEEEEEEROOOOOY

JEEEEEEEEEEEENKIINNNNS.

I agree that those cards seem really cheap, but statistically speaking they're -so- much easier to play around.

EDIT:
Also, MC like Shadow Madness?

God fucking no. At least with MC they can't attack on the same turn. Imagine them taking your Tirion, smiting it, suiciding it, and then getting the weapon.

pls god why.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Can't say I agree with the reasoning too much on any of the cards you've mentioned, except Ragnaros, seeing as those cards always have a considerable condition to be played properly, otherwise they can be thwarted quite easily or prove outright useless.

To me, the biggest gripes I have is generally Hunters and their cards, that are just akin towards aggro, and aggro alone, for a VERY low mana cost and amazing synergy no other class can even compare to! Their spells and units are simply better than every other class unit in the game (For 6 mana, previously 5, you can/could get 1/2/3/4/5, 2/1 dogs with card draw equal to the hounds spawned, allowing you to either clear the board, damage the opposing hero significantly, and yet still have TONS of spells or units you can play during your next turn. It's like using an AK-47 that has its clip reloaded while you're shooting. It's retardedly powerful.).

They do not have a single card to their class that I do not detest. Name it, and I shall explain it. Just infuriating that you have a 90% chance to lose if you haven't filled half your deck with strong taunt cards.

And it ain't even interesting, especially since EVERY - SINGLE - HUNTER I've fucking met on Ranked or Casual uses the same shitty combo without flaw or differentiation. I can get whopped by a Mage or a Priest or a Warrior through a hundred possible ways, and a game is never the same as the last one, as they have a good range of options and strategies to choose from, while Hunter can only do Steady Shot, Explosive Trap and Call the Hounds, every time without fail and pray that you die before he does, cause he ain't got shit for survivability!

I think the Hunters should just get a massive re-boot of their cards that can allow for more flexible plays than mere aggro combo-wombos that we've all seen a million times and are sick of shit of.
Make it interesting, make it memorable. Not a "Oh, he is going to rush me. Hmmm, hmmm, yep yep" moment.

Or maybe it's just me.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Literally all of these cards are fine, you have no idea what you're talking about. Knife Juggler is fine, Warleader is fine, Savage Roar is fine, Leeroy is fine, Faceless Manip is fine, and Ragnaros is fine. This seems more like a "Six Hearthstone cards I can't counter because I suck" list than a legitimately serious nerf list.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
I can see why unleash the hounds is on there every time I play a mirror match with hunters we always end up employing the same combo of unleash the hounds and scavenging hyena(and i realize after reading the comments that this has been done to death but i only started playing about a month ago)

A'tuin

May 6, 2013
kortin said:
Literally all of these cards are fine, you have no idea what you're talking about. Knife Juggler is fine, Warleader is fine, Savage Roar is fine, Leeroy is fine, Faceless Manip is fine, and Ragnaros is fine. This seems more like a "Six Hearthstone cards I can't counter because I suck" list than a legitimately serious nerf list.
If you think this (in my opinion decent) list is crappy, please do not check the Prima guide for "25 best Hearthstone cards", you'll have a heart attack. (http://www.primagames.com/games/hearthstone/tips/these-are-25-best-cards-hearthstone-heroes-warcraft)

Some gems from that "guide"
-Commanding Shout, Charge, and Magma Rager is a combo you should use. 7 damage for 3 cards? What a deal!
-Summoning Portal (or almost anything on the list) is better than Fire Elemental
-Defias Ringleader should be saved until turn 7 (assassinate text)
-Jaraxxus and Malygos are the best Legendaries. Rag, Leeroy, Ysera, Cairne or Sylvanas aren't worth mentioning.
-Having 2 Headcracks is awesome, but Priests using heal to counter the Headcrack is "wasting mana"
-Flamestrike should be mainly used with Malygos, because it's very common to need 9 damage board clear.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Dropping Ragnaros' damage output (when silenced) would be a good way to bring him into line, or even reducing his attack damage to 7 instead of 8. It would still be amazing value. Upping the mana cost on the Manipulator to 6 would be good enough for that, I think, and the suggested nerf for Knife Juggler is good too. Savage Roar could cost one more at least, or cost one less and buff one less, and Murloc Warleader definitely needs to be nerfed. +1/+1 would be better, definitely. Dropping Leeroy's damage by one, or maybe having it summon three whelps...? It's hard to figure out how to nerf something that's used as a super finisher or removal without removing its uses.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I'm still waiting on Blizzard instituting a graveyard for each player, never mind nerfing cards rather than just banning meta warping cards, which I don't really think is happening (could be wrong though).