Six-Year-Old Upset By Lack of Female Friendly Avengers Toys

vid87

May 17, 2010
Despite a lot of agreeing and disagreeing with the above, I can only focus on two things:

-There needs to be a massive study and overhaul on marketing demographics - I'm really curious about how many women, young and old, saw Avengers (preferably for reasons other than "because Loki") and like comics, games, etc., not just for the sake of effective marketing but because I'm really in the dark about what modern women like.

-I wonder if Scarlet Witch is going to get left behind too. Considering they're fighting Thanos, I imagine reality manipulation would be crucial to success.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Then there is the issue that Black Widow and (up to a point) Hawkeye are the underdogs of the team.

Watch that scene where the camera cycles around the team as they prepare to battle (you know, they one they use for every commercial) and we got: Flying brightly colored armor/robot that shoots missiles and lasers, Super soldier with humongous shield that uses the american flag as a suit, Armored literal god with a big storms-creating hammer and a cape, Naked green guy that shouts a lot and is as muscular and big as any three other characters put together and... a guy with military gear and an Olympic grade bow and a girl with a suit tighter than her own skin and two 9mm guns that are smaller than her hands (seriously, even some Beretta would look more impressive than those toys).

Its not like the female member was Ms Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Spider Woman or any other member with some cool power...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
vid87 said:
-I wonder if Scarlet Witch is going to get left behind too. Considering they're fighting Thanos, I imagine reality manipulation would be crucial to success.
Yes, most likely.

When FOX bought the rights to the X-Men, they also acquired the rights to every mutant character in the Marvel universe. Because of that, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (Magneto's sons) are likely off the table; despite the fact Whedon has expressed interest in using them.

vid87

May 17, 2010
hermes200 said:
vid87 said:
Yes, most likely.

When FOX bought the rights to the X-Men, they also acquired the rights to every mutant character in the Marvel universe. Because of that, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (Magneto's sons) are likely off the table; despite the fact Whedon has expressed interest in using them.
I was under the impression that not only was that indeed happening, but the big deal was that Quicksilver was showing up in BOTH Avengers 2 and Days of Future Past. I think the agreement was that Marvel could use them as long as there's no mention of mutants or Magneto.

http://www.themarysue.com/quicksilver-avengers-x-men-crossover/

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
vid87 said:
Despite a lot of agreeing and disagreeing with the above, I can only focus on two things:

-There needs to be a massive study and overhaul on marketing demographics - I'm really curious about how many women, young and old, saw Avengers (preferably for reasons other than "because Loki") and like comics, games, etc., not just for the sake of effective marketing but because I'm really in the dark about what modern women like.

It's really rather simple.

1. Create an action figure for all characters in the movie.
2. See which one sells more.

Seeing as the female characters ARE made but are consistently the cheaper to buy in their set of heroes (than their male counterparts), it is easy to deduce that they are the least popular. What's more is that female fans of the series would most commonly rather play with Iron Man than a lesser known/weaker character. So female fans does not necessarily mean demand for female characters.