Skarin Reviews- Mass Effect: Pinnacle Station

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009

__________________________________​

Mass Effect is a game that needs very little introduction, almost everyone who has access to a console or a PC would have either heard of or played BioWare's 2007 title at some point in their existence. The game took the world by storm with it's amazing sci-fi universe, gripping storyline and controversial media attention for exposing a three second glimpse of a pixel side boob..but I digress. The point is, ever since fans got a taste of the world of Mass Effect, they have been clamoring for more and Bioware were more than happy to oblige with announcements of a sequel; Mass Effect 2 set to be released in early 2010. Until then however, fans would have to make do with DLCs

Bring down the Sky was the first DLC to be released in 2008 consisting of a short storyline arc that further expanded the Mass Effect story and universe by introducing a new world and a new alien race. Overall, it was an enjoyable 90 minute excursion into the world that we all knew could have been presented on a much epic scale but was held back because it was a DLC and possibly because climaxing your writing and design team before the actual sequel might be a mistake. Still, we were all very hopeful for the final announced DLC before the second coming.

On August 25th EA and Bioware released the final Mass Effect add-on for the PC and X360, titled "Pinnacle Station". The release came with hardly any publicized announcements or fanfare that it took almost everyone by surprise. The game just silently went live, almost as if the developers were ashamed of their creation...and rightly so. To put it simply, the game is pure, utter, bollocks. The new content in Mass Effect: Pinnacle Station consists of a trip to a space station in an asteroid belt, where you can enter a battle simulator and play out 13 combat missions set in five geologically distinct levels. Each level will see Shepard indulge in either time trial based killings, surviving waves of enemy attacks for as long as possible or controlling a set number of checkpoints. That about sums up the entire Pinnacle Station experience.

If you were looking for a story, mission, jobs or even an RPG in this release, you will be disappointed to find that the game has none. The whole game is just a combat arena where players have to make it on the leaderboard at the end of each challenge (actually the DLC requires that the players have to place first in each challenge). I honestly tried to like this game, I tried to look at it's positives and nothing really jumped out at me. It just reeks of last minute, haphazard and loosely cobbled together gameplay. The only plus sides are that it is cheap, it retails for 400 Microsoft points ($5) and that Tech Officer Ochren, the station's Salarian computer geek is a really likable character, akin to HK-47 of Knights of the Old Republic only more patronizing than comical. Even then, the game is definitely not worth the money, it may be $5 but it's far from a Mass Effect experience with about three hours of unsatisfying gameplay. Adding insult to injury is the sheer amount of glitches and bugs strewn throughout the game. The most prominent and annoying glitch is the one that causes the game to freeze, preventing me from even completing combat scenarios on multiple occasions.

Bottom Line: This may be a Mass Effect title but it is not a Mass Effect game. Even Bring down the Sky with it's 90 minute gameplay is a considerably better package than what is on offer here. Sadly, you get no value for money with Pinnacle Station , I struggle to understand why this was even released. Perhaps if the game offered a multiplayer mode there might be a redeeming feature to this release but there is no such option. So truly, you have a game here that is very much like playing single player Counter-Strike with bots. It's rarely fun and nothing compared to the full experience.

Recommendation: I found this game to be a waste of time and money. Having no plot or story and riddled with bugs makes this game a massive let down for the fans of the genre and the Mass Effect game. If you would like a first hand experience of this, you can buy the game for $5.

I know this is a short review but there really is nothing to see nor review in this game. It's hopelessly broken

Mass Effect: Pinnacle Station [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.134802]

Death to Spies: Moment of Truth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.134495]

Trine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.132012#2966560]

The Path [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.131763]

Psychonauts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.127811]

Overlord II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.127136]

Tales of Monkey Island: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.126361]

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Xbox 360) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.126157]
As always, comments and criticisms are more than welcome :)

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
It's sad because I can the kernel of a good idea in the station. The next game boasts improves combat and more action (supposedly), so an expansion pack to add in more combat is a good thing. Even in arena setting could be fun for those of us who have spent 200+ hours in the game and know how to milk every scenario to its fullest. It could be a challenge. Instead, the bugs in the game make it really disappointing. Survival mode is a joke, I think everyone was amazed at how long it took their character to die. And the rest of the trials...could have been better. I don't know if the BioWare team farmed this out because they were busy with ME2, or if it was rushed because it needs to come out well before ME2, or what. But it's not up to the usual standards and that's really sad.

ME is so story-heavy, they could have gotten away with a lighter, action-oriented expansion pack. But one that's buggy and not compatible with all versions of the game (didn't work with Platinum Hits) is just inexcusable. Oh well, I for one still eagerly await ME2, despite the unfortunate misstep.

Mikela

Aug 20, 2009
When was this even released??. Lol, talk about low key publications..what's up with that?. Actually I can't blame them, the game sounds horrible.

Shame though, I was looking for a Mass Effect fix before next year and this game sounds like it could have done the job, if it just got a little more work done on it. Oh well, that's my Aussie dollars saved thanks to you.

Coincidentally I wasn't aware of Bring down the Sky existed as a DLC, or that Mass Effect had DLCs for that matter, but since you brought it up and made it sound alright, I might just take that to keep me going till next year.

Nice short and sweet review btw!.

Skyfall

Mar 15, 2009
high_castle said:
It's sad because I can the kernel of a good idea in the station. The next game boasts improves combat and more action (supposedly), so an expansion pack to add in more combat is a good thing. Even in arena setting could be fun for those of us who have spent 200+ hours in the game and know how to milk every scenario to its fullest. It could be a challenge. Instead, the bugs in the game make it really disappointing. Survival mode is a joke, I think everyone was amazed at how long it took their character to die. And the rest of the trials...could have been better. I don't know if the BioWare team farmed this out because they were busy with ME2, or if it was rushed because it needs to come out well before ME2, or what. But it's not up to the usual standards and that's really sad.

ME is so story-heavy, they could have gotten away with a lighter, action-oriented expansion pack. But one that's buggy and not compatible with all versions of the game (didn't work with Platinum Hits) is just inexcusable. Oh well, I for one still eagerly await ME2, despite the unfortunate misstep.
What?. I can't quite follow what you wrote, I mean I got the gist of it; pinnacle station sucks but everything else made my head spin.

On topic: I agree with your points completely. I was one of the few that d/led the thing when I first heard about it been released and what a waste of installation time and space it turned out to be. I never even could finish it, the game froze on me on seven separate occasions!. I threw the controller away after like half an hour of play. I do agree with Ochren though, he is a brilliant character even if the interaction with him is limited via the simulator.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Skyfall said:
high_castle said:
What?. I can't quite follow what you wrote, I mean I got the gist of it; pinnacle station sucks but everything else made my head spin.

On topic: I agree with your points completely. I was one of the few that d/led the thing when I first heard about it been released and what a waste of installation time and space it turned out to be. I never even could finish it, the game froze on me on seven separate occasions!. I threw the controller away after like half an hour of play. I do agree with Ochren though, he is a brilliant character even if the interaction with him is limited via the simulator.
Sorry. That's what happens when you type something at 3 in the morning. You leave words out and right a mess of hard to understand ramblings. What I was trying to say is that Pinnacle Station sucks in its current form, but it needn't have. An arena expansion, even one light on story, could have been good because ME2 will be more combat-oriented. Thus, a combat-oriented expansion would help prepare you for that. But because the expansion is riddled with bugs and doesn't even work with the Platinum Hits version of the game, it will never live up to its potential.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Mass Effect was a picture-perfect opportunity for DLC. I mean shit, they could have added a new area to the Citadel, added a new planet/planet cluster for exploration, taken off the end game similar to Fallout 3 -- anything besides just pure combat and it would've given me an excuse to replay the game again. Basically, I wish that Mass Effect would have followed the Fallout 3 DLC model and ran with it. Seriously, just give me a reason, BioWare, and I'll happily replay Mass Effect again and again. Buggy combat simulators, however, are not a reason.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Pretty much spot on. Whats worse is that BioWare knew they had a shit product on their hands. Thats why we never even saw a sliver of info about this DLC untill it mysteriously appeared on XBL.

It has virtually no story, is buggy, gives useless rewards for any level character that can actually complete it, and is just all around bad.

They could have at the very least incorporated the leaderboard to link with your XBL friends to offer some form of competition but they don't even do that.

It was a pathetic DLC and really not even worth $5...

Skyfall

Mar 15, 2009
high_castle said:
Sorry. That's what happens when you type something at 3 in the morning. You leave words out and right a mess of hard to understand ramblings. What I was trying to say is that Pinnacle Station sucks in its current form, but it needn't have. An arena expansion, even one light on story, could have been good because ME2 will be more combat-oriented. Thus, a combat-oriented expansion would help prepare you for that. But because the expansion is riddled with bugs and doesn't even work with the Platinum Hits version of the game, it will never live up to its potential.
Oh I see!. Yeah I agree partly then. I don't think that a combat heavy DLC was necessary at all. If ME2 was going to be combat heavy then sure let it be heavy, everyone would master in within the first ten minutes or even less if they played the original.

The DLC should have been more expansive, more roaming and more on the lore. The space station would be awesome if it engaged in something other than combat.
NoMoreSanity said:
Damn, I was going to review this.

But you're right. It's like they looked at the combat for Mass Effect, it's weakest point, and said "Hey, let's make a DLC filled only with our games broken Combat! That'll sell!" I'm still doing the Admiral's Mission, mainly because the Snipers kill you in one hit on my difficulty and rockets can as well. Not even counting the fact that all the enemies Bum Rush you as if you were a better piece of Mass Effect DLC.

Shit, shit shit is the best way to describe it. Why does Shepard need to go to Pinnacle Station anyway? Why does Shepard take time off from saving the motherfucking Galaxy and go off playing in a simulator? Fucking bollocks.

Also, even worse, all the simulations are resuses of graphical assets in the main game. There is nothing new here, no new enemies, new moral choices, nothing!

Great review, summed it up perfectly.
I noticed the re-used visuals too and those Star Trek style holodeck walls. It's like the developers were saying, "Fuck it!. We'll use the old backgrounds but we'll also make it smaller and incomplete."

I wonder if I can get my $5 back?. If I did, i would download Zombies vs plants or Crayon Physics deluxe instead of "Pinnacle Station". Grrrr..

Spicy meatball

Feb 17, 2009
I am now officially avoiding this DLC. What's really going to be a slap in the face is if Mass Effect 2 is just as bad. Oh the horror!

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
It was a tad underwhelming, but I knew what sort of DLC it was and didn't expect anything exceptional. For $5, it could have been a lot worse. That, and the fact that it wasn't even developed by Bioware; it was outsourced to a Demiurge Studios. At worst, it's a retread of some of the game's most mediocre gameplay; at best it's a chance to test out new tactics, get an okay apartment, and get a bit of some cool voice-work.

Although it's very true: the combat environments are disappointingly old and uninspired. That, and the fact that there were no new weapons or armor was unpleasantly surprising.

Skyfall

Mar 15, 2009
RebelRising said:
It was a tad underwhelming, but I knew what sort of DLC it was and didn't expect anything exceptional. For $5, it could have been a lot worse. That, and the fact that it wasn't even developed by Bioware; it was outsourced to a Demiurge Studios. At worst, it's a retread of some of the game's most mediocre gameplay; at best it's a chance to test out new tactics, get an okay apartment, and get a bit of some cool voice-work.

Although it's very true: the combat environments are disappointingly old and uninspired. That, and the fact that there were no new weapons or armor was unpleasantly surprising.
I am pretty sure that it was a joint venture between both Demiurge and Bioware, or at least Demiurge had support from Bioware. What would be even more upsetting though is if the 1.02 patch came from Demiurge and they got paid for it.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Skyfall said:
RebelRising said:

I am pretty sure that it was a joint venture between both Demiurge and Bioware, or at least Demiurge had support from Bioware. What would be even more upsetting though is if the 1.02 patch came from Demiurge and they got paid for it.
Ever notice Bioware has this tendency to make GREAT games, but on the follow up they outsource it to a company that cocks the whole thing up for shit?

KOTOR 2 is rushed to release full of bugs and unfinished content
NWN2 is... just... no
Now this.

What the FUCK Bioware?

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Skyfall said:
Yes, Demiurge did develop the DLC but it had support from Bioware and in essence it is Bioware's baby and responsibility. Also yes, Demiurge did make the 1.02 patch but that makes sense since they were also the ones that did the 1.01 patch and made the Mass Effect PC conversion.

Pinnacle Station confuses me more than it disappoints, with Mass Effect's massive universe and lore they could have explored countless possibilities and chapters to make a kick-ass DLC, but the best they could come up with was time trials?. Really?. I'm sorry but that's just wrong.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Skyfall said:
RebelRising said:

Ever notice Bioware has this tendency to make GREAT games, but on the follow up they outsource it to a company that cocks the whole thing up for shit?

NWN2 is... just... no
Now this.

What the FUCK Bioware?
Well, at least now they are finally going to do their own sequel, Mass Effect 2, and as far as I can see, it's looking great.

And well, I guess you're right about the efforts both Demiurge and Bioware put into it. I have a very finite understanding of the inner workings of corporate relationships. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed by the DLC, but with the year or so that they had since BDtS, I am surprised they didn't come up with something much more fulfilling.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
A very solid review, I have a clear picture of what the DLC is like.

TsunamiWombat said:
That would be Obsidian Entertainment, at any rate a good expansion pack made by Bioware is Throne of Bhaal, you can't say that was bad.

Spicy meatball

Feb 17, 2009
Why did the DLC go up a a Bioware product if it was not them that did the programming. Surely the other company had to be listed otherwise it's product dishonesty isn't it?. At any rate I am I am reconsidering purchasing Dragon Age on account of this. I don't even know if Bioware is involved with the project anymore.

Jul 9, 2008
I've bought this DLC but haven't had a chance to play it as of yet, but I'm hearing conflicting things. Most are saying it's horrible, a couple of my friends say it's awesome. At this point, I'm just personally lowering my expectations so that I'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Skeletor 0

Jul 29, 2009
Disappointing. I starting to wonder if all Bio-ware employees have split personalities. One a brilliant game designer with original ideas and a great connection with their audience and the other a complete crackhead whose designing while trying to see whether they can actually stick their head into their computer.