Skryrim: Random Facts,Questions, and Help.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Danyal said:
Another fact; a lot of guards in nearly all cities used to be adventurers like you. But they all got an arrow in the knee :(
Most of them also had orc armor. Ugly and strong, like the people who forged it.

Rule Britannia said:
Create iron daggers to power level Smithing (if you want to of course)
I went for leather bracers. Leather is pretty cheap, bracers cost 1 leather, 2 straps. It is impossible to max out smithing, unless you grind it. I needed to craft over 10 items just to get from 99 to 100.

pro tips for pro smiths:
Don't throw daedra hearts away.

MrLlamaLlama

Mar 3, 2011
^ The quest starts in Solitude, there's a dark elf whose name escapes me, but he's a rather shabby looking guy. Asks you to go and talk to his master or something.

edit: Nearer the Blue Palace than the centre of town.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Lil_Rimmy said:
Hold the pick up button. It's E on PC's. Dunno about consoles.
Hold A (360) or, I presume, hold X (PS3). I don't own a ps3 so not 100% on that. Definitely hold A on xbox though.

KageOokami

Nov 16, 2011
So does anybody farm soul gems or do you just purchase them. I do find them all over the place which is nice but i also purchase them.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
I had a question: The Nord race is totally immune to cold damage, right? So, being in Skyrim, do a lot of things deal cold damage, giving the player that chooses Nord an overwhelming advantage?
Negatory, Nords have a 50% immunity to cold. A great advantage over ice Dragons, but then Dunmer have a 50% resistance to fire, and Bretons have a 25% resistance to both. That's what character creation is about, weighing up the pros and cons and then realising that no racial abilities can defeat the awesome factor of Argonians.

Now, does anyone know where I can buy lock opening spells? I'd like some.

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Thanatus1992 said:
ThaBenMan said:
I had a question: The Nord race is totally immune to cold damage, right? So, being in Skyrim, do a lot of things deal cold damage, giving the player that chooses Nord an overwhelming advantage?
Negatory, Nords have a 50% immunity to cold. A great advantage over ice Dragons, but then Dunmer have a 50% resistance to fire, and Bretons have a 25% resistance to both. That's what character creation is about, weighing up the pros and cons and then realising that no racial abilities can defeat the awesome factor of Argonians.

Now, does anyone know where I can buy lock opening spells? I'd like some.

Ya other then the fact that Argonains regan health they are not the most usful race.

As for the unlock spells..... I dont think there are any. (I wish we could bash locks as well).

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Thanatus1992 said:
Ah, ok. My bad - I thought I'd remembered total immunity to cold from previous Elder Scrolls games (I don't actually have Skyrim yet). Thanks for the info.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
I have a simple question:
How the hell does clairvoyance work?
It's supposed to show you where to go, but I haven't seen anything happen yet.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
automatron said:
I have a simple question:
How the hell does clairvoyance work?
It's supposed to show you where to go, but I haven't seen anything happen yet.
Do you have an active quest? You need to mark a quest as active for it to work.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
ghost whistler said:
TBH this game is starting to do my head in now. It's not balanced at all. Doesn't matter how big and wonderful the setting is if the game just ambushes you with unstoppable mobs. I've reached a point where there are some foresworn dudes one of whom is a female ice mage. The rest of them are fairly easy, a couple of arrows and they die. She, on the other hand, kills me in a single shot of her frost magic. One shot ffs! She takes next to no damage (whether her frost sheild is active or not) from any attack and even if i block with a shield i still die. How can that make any sense? It certainly doesn't make for a fun game. It's not as if she's presented as a boss type character either.
Fus Ro Dah. Then stab the shit out of her.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Thyunda said:
I don't use AoEs. I'm a warhammer-wielding Nord and I never use Dragon Shouts near my companions. Lydia died when I sent her ahead to deal with an orc bandit, who caved her skull in with a battleaxe, and Vilkas died against Red Eagle, while I was clearing the skeletons out of the room. It was as I shattered a skeleton I saw the subtitles declaring 'Gah!' from Vilkas, and I turned around and Red Eagle had left his corpse on the stairs and was coming for me.
Huh... Maybe I just got really lucky then.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
when I alt+tab out and try to open it back up, it never works and all I get is a black screen with a border around it. My fix is pressing ctrl alt delete, and then pressing cancel. it works almost every time, I only crashed once.

also, I'm too lazy too read the rest of the thread! so, sorry if it's been mentioned!

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
webepoop said:
when I alt+tab out and try to open it back up, it never works and all I get is a black screen with a border around it. My fix is pressing ctrl alt delete, and then pressing cancel. it works almost every time, I only crashed once.

also, I'm too lazy too read the rest of the thread! so, sorry if it's been mentioned!
While the focus is on Skyrim, alt+tab though all of your windows until it's on Skyrim again. It worked for me, and it's a bit easier than Ctrl+Alt+Del

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Everyone in Markarth is corrupt or an asshole. Seriously, fuck that shitty town. I slit the throats of every guard in the prison mine, and just about every guard in the city. The Temple of Talos has a good 4-5 dead bodies in it alone.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
This may be a bit of an exploit, but you can get a good chunk of money pretty early on in the game by just visiting one easy dungeon. Halted Stream Camp. Those who've been there know where I'm going with this, but for those who don't, it's quite simple.

1. Enter the cave. You'll most likely have a bounty quest or family sword quest inside here.
2. See the Bandit down there mining? Go kill him, then take the pickaxe on the crate nearby.
3. Proceed to mine out EVERY iron ore vein you come across. There's also an orichalum vein.
4. In the main room, on a table beside the orichalum vein, will be a spell tome, Transmute.
5. Learn that tome, then proceed to change all of your iron ores (around 45) into gold.
6. Sell these at the smith, or smelt into ingots and make gold rings for smithing xp, and sell those.

Along with whatever loot the bandits/chests dropped, you'll have a pretty solid chunk of cash by the end of it. And the toughest enemy in the place is a Bandit Chief, who could be killed easily by using the overhanging firepots (shooting them and igniting the oil below).

Fudj

May 1, 2008
MrLlamaLlama said:
^ The quest starts in Solitude, there's a dark elf whose name escapes me, but he's a rather shabby looking guy. Asks you to go and talk to his master or something.

edit: Nearer the Blue Palace than the centre of town.

Thanks Muchly! have a cookie :)

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Some companions can be remarkably easy to anger. I was fighting a Cave Bear with J'zargo and caught him in the flames a little, and he instantly turned and attacked me.

Also, there's a spell in Alteration that allows you to turn iron ore into gold. It is awesome.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
So it turns out bandits with 2-handers can auto-kill you. Does anyone know any way to prevent this?