Skyrim Bug Turned Chickens Into Informants

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Beware the roving Chickens of Justice! Their strict adherence to and observance of the laws of Skyrim know no bounds! Woe be to the rogues of the land who think to roam free from the long wings of justice!

They're watching...

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
Oh dang, There must be some fowl deeds abreast if the guards started paying the chickens to keep watch!

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Ruairi iliffe said:
Hmm, talk about knowing something fowl going down.

But other than that, awesome find, would love to see the full Bug report :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

I do love me some puns =]

Would be cool if chickens did this in the local mage guild and what not, somewhere it could be explained better than just the entirety of Skyrim having magical spy chickens.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
GeorgW said:
We're simply different people, I've never been bothered by anything less than game breaking bugs.
I worded my original post really badly; it isn't the bugs that I find annoying, it's what Bethesda are doing about them that I find annoying. They know they're going to have a lot of bugs on their hand, so they're trying to come up with reasons as to why it is okay and everyone should just forgive them for it.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The Headline for the forum alone made me laugh.

Betheseda should include an option where you can choose to play with the bugs on--kind of like the "Strange Wasteland" perk in New Vegas. You can opt into spy chickens, the world geometry will occionally reach up and snatch characters, and the game could crash at any second.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Wieke said:
As far as amusing bugs go, this is a good one. Glad it was found though.

Has me wondering how hard debugging actually is for these kinds of projects. Cause as far as is know (which isn't all that much I admit) you'd need to add a break point to the function that alters the players "wanted" status so you can trace it back to the object that changed it. Though doing that would require at least a partial recompile of the project which could take some time.
In modern game design, a lot of this type of information is already being logged so that it can be shipped back to the manufacturer so that they can understand how their software is being used and improve it.

But there are a couple of things to consider. When creating a large development project first and foremost is that the code is broken down in to multiple subgroups of code and resources. So in order to add a specific log to says "who reported the crime", you would end up only recompiling a very small section of the game and not the whole game. Second, the way this usually works is that you capture the current memeory state when tracking down a bug of this nature. You can see what objects are in memomory and where the program is executing. You can then use a custom scenario builder and a binary search to get a very good idea of where the problem is well before ever looking at the code.

Finally, if they are really trying to track something down, you wouldn't play the same scenario over and over again, you would use a scripted to play the scenario. The game makers have a very greate ability to script "user" behavior for testing. In the end the life of a SDET or a game tester is much simplified by using reason to track down problems rather than trying to trace the code.

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
There are chickens in Skyrim?

I've never noticed that there were mundane creatures in the Elder Scrolls games at all, besides horses and bears and deer perhaps.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Two thoughts straight away -;
1: Maybe Skyrim's found a side-effect of a Bird Flu epidemic?
2: I'll never play Dungeon Keeper the same way again.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I can see the Judge Judy episodes already "Playing Foul with Fowl" "A Fowl with a Hawkseye is faster then a quick hand"

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I'm kind of sad that they fixed this. It would have been funny to leave this in for people to find out the hard way. But I guess I just enjoy the random chaos a lot more than other players. Oh well, back to the sims.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I swear every single inanimate object was an informant in Oblivion, because I know I could hardly ever get away with any crime.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
LOL oh wow this is just too funny

altho apparently killing chickens is still considered gruesome murder in the game...is that not a bug? lol

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
duchaked said:
LOL oh wow this is just too funny

altho apparently killing chickens is still considered gruesome murder in the game...is that not a bug? lol
First hour when I played the game, I got to that first starting village near whiterun. During the night when nobody was around, I ran about the place like the madman I was, when I decided to kill a chicken for the hell of it.
I then climbed the nearby mountain, went through the dungeon, got back.
It was daytime already, and when I entered the village I was greeted... By all villagers storming at me with axes/swords/bows/weapons.

That's right. I killed one chicken with no witnesses, and they all skipped the "pay your fine"-bit.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
It doesn't matter how funny they are; bugs are still bugs.
The tf classic(or 1 or whatever) spy originates from a bug causing enemies to look like teammates. Instead of removing it, they added it to the game as a new class. Sometimes bugs make a game better, Mostly they make ragdolls glitch out or crash stuff though.
Sometimes....