Skyrim Child Killing Mod

Miniges

Aug 20, 2008
Easton Dark said:

If anything, it makes tag more believable.

Maybe if the kids weren't such jerks people wouldn't make these as quickly :/
Lol.
But seriously, I think this was handled the right way by everybody. Bethesda keeps their hands off a sticky subject and the modding community gives the fanbase another play option. The circle of life.
The one thing i can see going wrong in the existence of this mod is some dolt at fox news catching wind of this and thinking it's some how in the vanilla game and going ape on Bethesda.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Father Time said:
Seanchaidh said:
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
What does it say about your mental health that you want to kill children in a videogame?
Absolutely nothing.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way...

Would you do it in real life? No. The other day, around 2am at Jack in the Box some 14 year old fuck was giving me and my buddies shit. For a solid hour. We're adults, early to mid twenties. No one was there to help him and even the workers expressed the desire to throw him out on his ass.
He did not leave until I threatened him with a knife. Would I have seriously hurt him? Not with the knife, but it got my point across.
So you know what I do in Skyrim? Ignore the shits.

Who cares if you could do it in earlier games? Who cares if the community wants it? IT'S.FUCKED.UP. And you're fucked up for wanting it so bad. Get help, and stay the fuck out of my neighborhood because if I saw you I would think of the kids next door and run your ass over without thinking twice.

Next time you're on a date/talking with your significant other, tell her about how good it makes you feel to kill kids in a video game, see how it goes.
Really?

You have a problem with killing video game people-- provided that they're children-- but you proudly admit threatening an actual young person with a knife? And then threaten anyone who would have the inclination to want to kill annoying NPCs (if those NPCs are children) with vehicular murder?

Interesting.
That sort of thinking belongs in PETA

People for the ethical treatment of animations.
You Mr. Time have just......WON A THREAD FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!
*crowd roars*

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
You would then argue "why are adults ok to kill and not kids?" to which I would counter argue that this standard where children are sacrosanct is all through society and our culture and is generally recognised. The people posting here arguing against child killing in games are part of the majority, not Random McKilljoys.
Children are sacrosanct by society's laws, yes, but so are adults. Murder is a crime regardless of the age of the victim. Theft is a crime. Breaking and entering is a crime. By the looks of the descriptions of some quests (I reiterate that I have yet to play Skyrim) from upthread, it seems that numerous ones call upon you to break many of modern society's laws.

While you personally choose to play a character who values human(oid) lives - and more power to you for doing so - others may desire to play a Dovahkiin who doesn't care so much. If for one reason or another, I choose to play a Stupid Evil Dovahkiin, killing an entire town - genociding an entire race - is perfectly acceptable within the game's parameters but killing children is somehow too 'evil'?

I reject that premise.

And I normally play a Neutral/Chaotic Good style characters. I've not played Stupid Evil for years, except to observe what endings/storyplots the 'other side' has to offer. Mass Effect? Almost pure Paragon. Dragon Age? I played Good. Baldur's Gate? Chaotic Good. Fallout 3/NV? Generally a good character who had strong ethical beliefs in personal freedom. My characters would get along with yours perfectly. I'm on the other side of this debate though.

I find it interesting that upon a cursory glance of this thread, not one person has brought up Bioshock: a game where choosing to save or murder children is a decision which is forced upon the player at least once.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Seanchaidh said:
What does it say about your mental health that you want to kill children in a videogame?
Absolutely nothing.

Would you do it in real life? No. The other day, around 2am at Jack in the Box some 14 year old fuck was giving me and my buddies shit. For a solid hour. We're adults, early to mid twenties. No one was there to help him and even the workers expressed the desire to throw him out on his ass.
He did not leave until I threatened him with a knife. Would I have seriously hurt him? Not with the knife, but it got my point across.

Who cares if you could do it in earlier games? Who cares if the community wants it? IT'S.FUCKED.UP. And you're fucked up for wanting it so bad. Get help, and stay the fuck out of my neighborhood because if I saw you I would think of the kids next door and run your ass over without thinking twice.

Next time you're on a date/talking with your significant other, tell her about how good it makes you feel to kill kids in a video game, see how it goes.
Really?

You have a problem with killing video game people-- provided that they're children-- but you proudly admit threatening an actual young person with a knife? And then threaten anyone who would have the inclination to want to kill annoying NPCs (if those NPCs are children) with vehicular murder?

Interesting.
You also missed this little gem:
Would I have seriously hurt him? Not with the knife
OT: Nope. I'm not gonna touch this thread with a ten foot pole, because it's already a brewing flame war.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Seanchaidh said:
Absolutely nothing.

Really?

Interesting.
You also missed this little gem:
Would I have seriously hurt him? Not with the knife
OT: Nope. I'm not gonna touch this thread with a ten foot pole, because it's already a brewing flame war.
mostly brought about by you congratulations

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Sweet, getting this mod for sure. Is there one for killing all NPCs too ?

I'm fine with child killing not being vanilla, since that's flac the devs don't need/want and it can be modded easily enough, but I'm not fine with the whole invincible NPC thing.

"With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate,or persist in the doomed world you have created."

This, remember this ? Why Bethesda took that away after Morrowind I'll never know, nor is there a reason good enough.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Do you realize how much schtick ANYONE would get if they featured a child being killed? Bethesda did the right thing by all accounts and made children unkillable.

The player can be a sadistic person, it's a lot safer to just leave child murdering out, and let the modders add it in later. That means Bethesda are not liable for any legal action.

Same with a nude mod, when modders came to add this to the oblivion mod library, they found that all textures were already there. The textures for nipples, proper shading, and the below regions were all there already. The modders just removed the underwear, and maybe add a little boob physics. So the intention was there, they just didn't execute it.

Anyway, I'm seeing a lot of posts being flagged, I hope I'm not one of them D:

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Robert Ewing said:
Do you realize how much schtick ANYONE would get if they featured a child being killed?
Like Bioshock? A glance over a googlesearch for 'Bioshock controversy' reveals very few hits about the Little Sisters. In fact, most of Bioshock's controversy hits are based around it's (now removed) DRM system. There was some mentions, but it seems to mostly be reporting on one article by Boston's The Patriot Ledger - an article which no longer has a working link, apparently. Edit: A google sitesearch of the Patriot Ledger reveals no such article anymore. Interesting...

I can't see anything from any 'mainstream' news venues.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
They need to replace kids not kill them. Remove them from the game, or replace them with dogs. Both options I'am okay with. Dogs could be cool, add a sense of worth for that bit of pixels.

Kids in Sky rim, and Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas all degraded the experience of these games. Purely because of how abusive they were, and the fact that they taunt you where ever you go. Dogs would be better.

Request: Can a modder please disable children in Skyrim?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
pumuckl said:
Dreiko said:
pumuckl said:
Dreiko said:
But they really don't care about gamers in this aspect and that's the thing that pisses me and most others off, they only really care about their image and other such empty things and that is the whole spectrum of consideration regarding this aspect, matters of immersion or consistency be damned.
welcome to capitalism, *hands common sense tophat and reality monocle* you'll need these.
Oh but that's not a free market effect my friend. Unless you're willing to state that a lot of people wouldn't buy the game if they found out that you could kill kids as well as everyone else, then I may be able to see your point.

They didn't do it cause the game wouldn't do well in a capitalist society, they did it cause other people who are the ones who actually don't want to be in a free market system would cry foul and ***** and moan and bother them tremendously, in effect stifling capitalism and enacting communist thought police practices.

True capitalism is all about supply and demand...and there is no such thing as "negative demand", no matter how much some people may not want something in a game it has absolutely no effect on it actual market power, just because some will cry and moan and go on TV and say a bunch of stupid things they still are just single digits as far as capitalism is concerned, those people will simply not play the game and the rest of them will, that's all.

By making a game rated M Bethesda is already excluding every kid below, say...age 10 or so and those are way more sales than those that would have been lost by including child killing. Why did they do that? Well, cause for immersion and consistency reasons you can't have an E-rated Skyrim, despite the fact that it could sell more. Disregarding wider markets to cater to your trusting fans and followers is not incompatible with capitalism, it is in fact the best way of playing it safe and minimizing risks...and I say that including child killing for consistency and role-playing sake is worth it.

*returns hat and monocle, as his Orcish figure is too large for them*
you're right, but i'm talking about stock holders and such. As a game, you only wanna piss off fox sexily, in a way that doesn't offend the average gamer, but actually draws them in, like allowing hot female nord on elf action for instance, which if you noticed they mention every six minutes that you can be a lesbian. What you dont want to have, is someone labeling your game the child killing simulator, which the media would in a heartbeat.

now, a large share of gamers are in fact under the age of 18, or are over 18 and are still man children so their parents buy them the games. You would be loosing profit if mom just heard on the radio that game is about killing children and dragging their limp body around town with you. if you think kids dont play M games just as much as you do, i'd like to ask what age you played mortal kombat the first time.

Also, you run a risk of losing investors who want to avoid that drama (child killing simulator! sponsored by gerber!). If you have read anything about initial pitching in any media industry, you know that target demographics play a huge role in any final product. and bethesda is in the end a company, not your genie who wants to make your wishes come true. they just accidentally almost did. Plus, they'd have to spend extra development time (probobly not much, but still) and we'd all miss out on lesbian nord sex.

too close this off cuz this is way too ranty for my taste, ask yourself, if video games dont operate like normal business, why do they advertise soo damn heavily? why do they have the most attractive display at every major store? why do they release so many statements and trailers making the game seem like god, when everyone who's already there fan and target core audience knows it'll be more walking through dark dank dungeon then battling dragons from atop a tower. Even rockstar these days wants to appeal to the mass, and add more maturity to their grittiness, and we have to deal with it.

/endrant *exhales deeply* holy sh*t try writing a reasonable rant while ur girl IS SCREAMING IN YOUR EAR

But I already said that kids over 10 would play the game man, I never said that only adults play mature games, that was the point, even in the under 10 age group they still lose so many more sales than they would if they made this slight alteration. Similarly, just enabling for kids to die like other NPCs is not more work, in fact it's more work to make em immortal when everything else dies.

I seriously doubt part of pitching skyrim entailed what things in it die and what don't. It pretty much went like this:
Bethesda: "We're making more Elder Scrolls and you're paying for it."
Publisher:"Thanks for the free profits, dinner at 7?"

Games are a business of their own, you can't entirely liken them to books or movies in this aspect as well as the storytelling and interactivity fronts. They advertise for many reasons, most people don't really know about every game ever and are casual about it, the popularity and monetary power of those people who only really know farmville or whatever is stupid to ignore but at the same time I wouldn't take that as a sign of a creator's true intention but more as them, like the publishers, accepting free profits without the ties to fulfill those dragon roof fights they advertise for. Game business models shouldn't try to imitate anything, they should find their own form and adhering to limitations long removed from those mediums is counter-productive.

When was Lolita published...the 50s right? Imagine the controversy of a game tactfully presenting a story about pedophilia...it would be a major shitstorm wouldn't it?

Making kids un-killable in a game as momentous as Skyrim prolongs the period that games will be unable to present stories as troubling as that (well...out of Japan) and that is bad both for my dream game, gaming as a whole and the publisher's pockets as well.

Oh and a personal question...why are you posting from the kitchen?

Tipatap

Aug 7, 2011
Chew on this; I plan on installing this mod, but I will never use it.

I do not want to kill kids, neither in real life nor in Skyrim, nor any other game I've played. But if a dragon attacks, and wreaths fire down on a child, it should die. As is the same for a bear, troll, or most other manner of creatures.

Murdering a child, whether on purpose or not, should result in a 10,000g fine, along with all people in the Hold becoming hostile, in a ripple effect from the center, and not stopping looking for you.

Those are my two cents, anyways..

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
apsham said:
I worry when/if people on this forum become parents. Chemical castration should be an option for.. most all of you.
to you
u didnt even read this thread did u i recommend u read the guy's post below you that is all

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
if a dragon comes to town and kills everyone, i wanna be able to properly mourn what has happened without little billy ruining it all- I'm downloading this mod, simply so that when a dragon comes by and kills Billy, i can become enraged and avenge the child, rather than just sit in disdain watching the little immortal billy run around the dragon unharmed

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Why are people even arguing about this?

If you don't like it, don't get the mod, or better yet, don't play the game, considering *innocent* NPC's will get killed at some point in the game, either directly by or your actions.

There's no moral or ethical debate here - if one type of NPC can be killed, and the community obviously doesn't have a problem with that, then all types of NPC should be able to die.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Sadly, I don't play on PC. The immortal children running around insulting people is getting really immersion breaking. When a dragon attacks Riverwood, I don't immediately run to a child's aid. Why? Because he can fend for himself. He's immortal. So I can let him be a distraction for the dragon. That is utterly ridiculous.

Now, I have no desire to go on a child murder spree. Hell, I don't have a desire to go on an adult murder spree. Killing a child is no less moral than killing an adult. It's still a human life being lost, regardless of how long it's been alive. Honestly, I just want the children to be mortal. I want to feel like I've made a difference when I've saved one's life.

And to those that want to murder the annoying ones? Have at it. It's no more wrong than murdering a grown man.

It says nothing about my mental health. I did wonderfully in high school (Seriously, a kid here brought up high school to insult people?). I love children, and I'm currently raising one. We all just need to stop being children. But alas, welcome to the internet. Anonymity is a lovely thing.

Oh, and to the kids that say "If you want this mod stay away from my neighborhood," Can that not be said about anyone who's played a game ever? We've all murdered virtually. It's ROLE PLAYING. Virtual. Separate from reality, and affects none of mine.

Who I am in Skyrim is nowhere near who I am in the USA.