Skyrim elves look AWFUL :(

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Consider: perhaps they aren't supposed to be aesthetically pleasing?

The Altmer are essentially the villains and the Dunmer are considered to be inferior lowlifes.

Just because other fantasy settings involve elves that are "beautiful" doesn't mean that TES games do - the TES setting tends to diverge pretty regularly from stock fantasy tropes.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Hafrael said:
Plus Mannimarco kicks everyone's ass.
Yeah I remmeber that guy, he was supossed to be some big bad who was a powerful necromancer that was the bane of the Mages Guild.

I also remember killing him in like 2 seconds and wondering if there was more to it.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Disagree.

Dunmer look great. Altmer look less great, but still cool. The thing to bear in mind is THEY ARE NOT HUMAN! They are elves, they are supposed to look different. I love the elf aesthetic in Skyrim; they are familiar enough, but their features are exagerrated to give them an alien feel. Better than the "pretty humans" that seems to be the industry standard for elves.

Also, Argonians finally don't look like a rainbow threw up. They actually look good for once. The Khajiit have been massively improved as well. And the humans don't look like a product of two centuries of inbreeding like they did in Oblivion. All in all, great work on the face front.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Hafrael said:
Plus Mannimarco kicks everyone's ass.
Yeah I remmeber that guy, he was supossed to be some big bad who was a powerful necromancer that was the bane of the Mages Guild.

I also remember killing him in like 2 seconds and wondering if there was more to it.
Psst.

You can't kill a god. (He probably faked it to get Traven off his back)

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
ninonybox360 said:
OT: Like it has been said before elves are not meant to be pretty.
To us. We are humans, they are a different species. They are supposed to look different. I'm sure that they find their own species normal and us to be weird looking. I like that they aren't just humans with pointy ears.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Elamdri said:
All I'm saying is that I've killed enough Drow in my time to know that THIS:

is not a dark elf.
Dunmer =/= Drow.

That's all that really needs to be said - just because they have dark skin and are elves doesn't mean they're drow.

As for the rest of the topic, I love the alien look of the elves in Skyrim, I only wish there was more options for hair color and that it was easier to see the eyes on some of the races.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
KelsieKatt said:
I like how the elves look overall, as it is I hated the way characters looked in Oblivion. My main complaint is there isn't enough variety in the appearance options and a lot of them tend to look like a slightly tweaked variation of the default face with a different hair style.

Or at least the female ones do... I don't play male characters.

I have both a Dark Elf and a Wood Elf character and I wish that the two of them looked more unique compared to one another. And I mean more in terms of facial structure. The main difference between these two characters rests almost entirely on the shoulders of their totally different hair and warpaint. That's mostly it though. The facial structure looks way too similar.
Strange. I thought the opposite. When I made my Dunmer I felt there was not enough hairstyle choices yet I was content with the facial options. I mean look at my Dunmar and then look at the Dunmer Compilation pictures.

http://www.skyrimwiki.com/images/c/c3/Dunmer_Compilation.jpg

I was able to change my character into looking more human than elf yet could have made him look the same as the rest from those compilations.

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
The only good elf is a dead elf... Doesn't matter what they look like as long as it's blood is on my weapon and corpse at my feet.

I do have to say though that I prefer the look of elves in The Elder Scroll series then any other rendition. Just because Tolkien made them popular doesn't mean that is the only way you can interpret an elf. Same goes with any fantasy creature. Well to an extent like it'll probably be hard to make a rendition of a Dragon that can breath Rainbows and Butterflies. That would be just weird, but who knows someone might one day be able to pull it off.

And in closing if you have such a problem with elves in Elder Scrolls just imagine them to be a mutation and kill all of them on sight for being an abomination. That would make me happy since means one less elf to worry about.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
it's much easier in Skyrim to make faces that aren't hideous, but it suffers from the thing that both Morrowind and Oblivion did - the character customization screen has TERRIBLE lighting

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
so you want humans with pointy ears? well aren't you boring and conventional. Just stop playing skyrim then. Either that or quit whining like a baby.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
ITT: OP makes a statement that begins a legitimate discussion then responds with sarcastic shit, meanwhile others over react to said shit.

OT: they look a hell of a lot better than Oblivion. Everyone looked really dumb in Oblivion. Don't know about Wood elves though...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
stefman said:
so you want humans with pointy ears? well aren't you boring and conventional. Just stop playing skyrim then. Either that or quit whining like a baby.
Or just... play the character without going into 3rd person mode, or try and find a helmet that obscures your face, or just use war paint to completely obscure your face in black and hide it under a hood.

that's what I'd do if I didn't think the possibilities were amazing, which I do.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I play as a bosmer but I think especially the dark elves are great. If you don't like the large foreheads, I did see a mod for that on the Skyrim nexus.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Well, if your problem is with the jutting brow and you have a PC version of the game, you are in luck. There is a mod to get rid of that. Personally I found it went against how the elves looked in the established lore (they weren't exactly pretty before, but they didn't have the jutting brow) so I downloaded it, and they look a lot better while still being distinctly different from a human. It now comes packaged with the detailed faces mod which is also excellent so here is a link. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=26
Oh and if you don't have the PC version.... well, afraid your up shit creek.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
lacktheknack said:
http://theelderscrollsskyrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/altmer.png

...I'm gonna go ahead and call that an improvement. Maybe the elves aren't SUPPOSED to be pretty.

...In fact, I'm gonna go with that. Who says all races have to fit a traditional version of "aesthetically pleasing"?
What is that unholy thing on the right? Oh, an elf? Well I'd agree, they look hideous, but people only assume they will look good, and there lies the problem.

ZippyPizzahead

Apr 23, 2011
Within minutes of the Construction Set being released, there will be at least 10 revamped appearance mods for every race in game. This argument is null.