Skyrim Fits On One DVD

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
Obviously the new AI is so good they made a mage character and got him to shrink the data.
I was going to say something somehow related to my surprise at the data-shrinkage, but god damn it, for some reason this makes me laugh so hard I can't remember.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Just like with Oblivion and Fallout 3 and NV, I'll be having gigs upon gigs of mods.
I'll likely exceed 8 GB worth of data with texture packs and new content.
At least, eventually.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I'm not usually a "THIS ISN'T NEWS" person, but are we really reporting on the fact that it comes on a fucking disc?

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
RandV80 said:
Yeah this is the main worrisome point. Could be Bethesda simply used some magic to fit a game that has no business being on 1 DVD to fit on 1 DVD. This is cutting it close to console wars but as far as disk space goes the 360 is the red headed step child of the industry. As someone who will play Skyrim on PC I'd be much more impressed to here "Skyrim will be a 50GB install!" than I am hearing they got it onto 1 DVD for the 360. I'll give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt here but I still be glancing at the 360 crowd with suspicion that the game would be bigger without them.
I know what you're saying.

Who knows how great Skyrim could have actually been if Bethesda wasn't selling out? If they were actually focusing on PC... well, that will never happen.

I stopped giving Bethesda the benefit of a doubt a long time ago.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
that's pretty impressive. But I can't imagine they crammed it in without cutting some few corners first.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Well that's nice of them, a sandbox game with disk-swapping would be one hell of a chore.

The Bandit said:
I'm not usually a "THIS ISN'T NEWS" person, but are we really reporting on the fact that it comes on a fucking disc?
Did you read the news?
They have put more game onto the disk than the disk should fit.

They have TARDIS disks, how is that not news?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
The Bandit said:
Presumably they mean that Bethesda is only producing a single disk, with the implication that there will be some sort of massive battle to the death to see which lucky fan gets it. At least that's what makes the most sense to me.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
Ha, playing this on consoles? Oblivion wasn't even remotely bearable without mods crammed right up its rear end.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Tharwen said:
This is what happens when you're working in the same company as John Carmack, High Wizard of Games Technology and Related Arts. Woo, go ZeniMax!
So then.... why is RAGE, the game Carmack is making, requiring multiple disks?
To be honest, I couldn't care less.
RAGE, which once was top of my buy list, is now completely off the list.
Strange though, for as much as I've come to dislike it, a game made by the same publisher seems to be doing everything right.
Though I gotta say, the guy in charge of the Elder Scrolls franchise (whose name has slipped me at this moment) has impressed me a lot. He can have my money.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
It's not that weird.
What they did was to cut some things to make space for others.
They shortened the total number of dungeons,but added jobs and proffessions.
They removed stats and attributes and added perks.
The amount of content is about the size of Oblivion actually.

Graphics wise,from what we see the game has upgraded dynamic lighting and weather/particle effects,and the burden of these falls on to the processor instead of the memory.
If you pay some attention to most of Skyrim's textures they are about the same quality as in Oblivion.
Usually what takes the most space in a game's disc are textures.That's the reason some developers release on the PC texture packs only as downloadable content and doesn't include high res textures to the disc,because they would need a much larger space.

Knowing that Skyrim will be about the same size as Oblivion and that it will have similar texture quality,it isn't that much of a surprize actually.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Dr_Horrible said:
SextusMaximus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
SextusMaximus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
Maybe I just don't understand how 360 hardware works, but is this news? It's pretty standard for rpgs, especially, to put it on one disk because f carrying over player data.
But this isn't a normal RPG.

[HEADING=1]THIS SKYRIM![/HEADING]
Good point, good point... I say 250 gigs or else!

I just hope you don't kick me into a bottomless pit...
I wasn't actually quite thinking along those lines when I posted, but yes, now would be an adequate time to use that meme.

Not going to, though - cause I'm nice and all.

[sub]and I've ran out of pits[/sub]
Phew, guess I dodged a bullet there... Good to know.

Also, you may wish to put up a safety railing.
More like, dodged a PIT.

Amirite?

Oh, I know - I am TOO witty.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Khravv said:
Tharwen said:
This is what happens when you're working in the same company as John Carmack, High Wizard of Games Technology and Related Arts. Woo, go ZeniMax!
So then.... why is RAGE, the game Carmack is making, requiring multiple disks?
To be honest, I couldn't care less.
RAGE, which once was top of my buy list, is now completely off the list.
Strange though, for as much as I've come to dislike it, a game made by the same publisher seems to be doing everything right.
Though I gotta say, the guy in charge of the Elder Scrolls franchise (whose name has slipped me at this moment) has impressed me a lot. He can have my money.
Actually Carmack started developing Rage along with its new graphics engine about 6 years ago,and he expected that by the time Rage will be ready that a new generation of consoles (xbox720,ps4) would also be there,to run the engine at its full glory.
But Sony and Microsoft decided to delay the next generation,and Rage had to come out on this hardware,so after they made the game that good,they started trying to find ways to make it run.
Graphics where degraded among other things,but while current console's processors and graphics cards are able to run the game,the game still keep some of its next gen requirements.

Consider Rage as a toned-down game of the next generation instead of a current generation game with good graphics.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Just hoping this won't mean they'll have to stick to one single voice actor doing 3 different lines.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Why do consoles not have decent hard drives? There's no excuse for anyone to ever have to change disks during gameplay, regardless of what platform they're using. It's not the '80s any more.