Skyrim Fits On One DVD

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Khravv said:
Tharwen said:
This is what happens when you're working in the same company as John Carmack, High Wizard of Games Technology and Related Arts. Woo, go ZeniMax!
So then.... why is RAGE, the game Carmack is making, requiring multiple disks?
To be honest, I couldn't care less.
RAGE, which once was top of my buy list, is now completely off the list.
Strange though, for as much as I've come to dislike it, a game made by the same publisher seems to be doing everything right.
Though I gotta say, the guy in charge of the Elder Scrolls franchise (whose name has slipped me at this moment) has impressed me a lot. He can have my money.
Todd Howard (AKA Complete Badass) is the name you're looking for.Now he can have ALL OUR MONEY,YAY!

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
So... Why didn't they just do like FM3 and have 1 main game disc and 1 disc with a bunch of the rest of the content for you to install?

Not that i care, i would only ever buy an RPG on the PC anyway. Controllers simply don't have enough buttons.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
And time marches on....

I remember, one day long long ago, thinking "Wow, this game is so huge, they had to put it on a DVD!" Now, I've got "Wow, they managed to fit the whole game on just one DVD!"

I feel old. ...hey, what's that noise? There better not be kids on my lawn. I've got my best shakin' stick right here!

[small]Of course, I'll likely be getting this on Steam, so it doesn't affect me directly, but anything they can do to reduce download size is just peachy with me.[/small]
Remember even before DVD's when a game was guaranteed to be great because it came on 4 disks. Just a mark of the times that tech is getting so good that we can have duch HUGE games and still fit them in reasonably small media devices.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
CRRPGMykael said:
Khravv said:
Tharwen said:
This is what happens when you're working in the same company as John Carmack, High Wizard of Games Technology and Related Arts. Woo, go ZeniMax!
So then.... why is RAGE, the game Carmack is making, requiring multiple disks?
To be honest, I couldn't care less.
RAGE, which once was top of my buy list, is now completely off the list.
Strange though, for as much as I've come to dislike it, a game made by the same publisher seems to be doing everything right.
Though I gotta say, the guy in charge of the Elder Scrolls franchise (whose name has slipped me at this moment) has impressed me a lot. He can have my money.
Todd Howard (AKA Complete Badass) is the name you're looking for.Now he can have ALL OUR MONEY,YAY!
Ah yes. That is what I thought, but I didn't want to be wrong and prove myself an idiot :p
So far it seems that man thinks the way I do, at least regarding his decisions in Skyrim.
He will have my money.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Mad World said:
RandV80 said:
Yeah this is the main worrisome point. Could be Bethesda simply used some magic to fit a game that has no business being on 1 DVD to fit on 1 DVD. This is cutting it close to console wars but as far as disk space goes the 360 is the red headed step child of the industry. As someone who will play Skyrim on PC I'd be much more impressed to here "Skyrim will be a 50GB install!" than I am hearing they got it onto 1 DVD for the 360. I'll give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt here but I still be glancing at the 360 crowd with suspicion that the game would be bigger without them.
I know what you're saying.

Who knows how great Skyrim could have actually been if Bethesda wasn't selling out? If they were actually focusing on PC... well, that will never happen.

I stopped giving Bethesda the benefit of a doubt a long time ago.
Well the good thing about Elder Scrolls is even if they design down a bit for the console crowd PC players can correct this themselves and then some with the wonderful TES Construction Set we get to have. The moment they pull on Activision and take that away from us... well then it's time to cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

For giving Bethesda the benefit of the doubt I was more talking about that they made some magic happen or cut from the 360 version to make it all fit, rather than cut stuff from everyone's version to get it onto a single DVD for the 360. So that they built the game first and then started puzzling how they could fit it on one DVD.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
They should be able to make the game under 1GB if they used more advanced techniques.
.kkreiger managed to get these graphics for an FPS level:

In less than 200kb.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Dr_Horrible said:
SextusMaximus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
Maybe I just don't understand how 360 hardware works, but is this news? It's pretty standard for rpgs, especially, to put it on one disk because f carrying over player data.
But this isn't a normal RPG.

[HEADING=1]THIS SKYRIM![/HEADING]
Good point, good point... I say 250 gigs or else!

I just hope you don't kick me into a bottomless pit...
Give it a year for my beloved modding comunity. My oblivion folder is 60 Gb large :)

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Crono1973 said:
McNinja said:
The HDDVDs the 360 uses can handle up to 15 gigs on a single layer, double for dual-layer. The Blu-ray discs can handle about double a bit less than a dual layered HDDVD disc, which is why ME2 was two discs on the 360, but only one disc on the PS3.

However the techniques they used to save space is pretty neat.
Wow, you do know the HD Disc war was won by Blu-Ray right and HD DVD is now a dead format. What made you think that they would be putting Skyrim on a dead format?
If you hhad even attempted to read the thread, you would have noticed that I clearly thought that the 360 used HDDVDs, and considering that the 360 came out before blu-ray did, one would think that the 360 used the superior format, at least in later models. I also stated later that I read somewhere that the 360 used the HDDVD format. I was wrong, and I don't need a thousand people telling me I was wrong. How about next time you read the thread instead of finding something someone said and basically calling them a moron?

Monoochrom said:
McNinja said:
The HDDVDs the 360 uses can handle up to 15 gigs on a single layer, double for dual-layer. The Blu-ray discs can handle about double a bit less than a dual layered HDDVD disc, which is why ME2 was two discs on the 360, but only one disc on the PS3.

Except ofcourse that the 360 uses normal DVDs.

Fail
Oh yes OF COURSE it uses regular DVDs! How silly of me think something different? I'm clearly a fucking moron and deserve nothing less than a good waterboarding.

Oh wait. No I don't. I got mixed up because, as I said earlier in the thread, I had read somewhere that the 360 used HDDVDs. Next time try not to come off a such a douchebag.

Jesus christ do people not read threads anymore? Read a page or two then post something stupid which multiple people have already posted.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Monoochrom said:
McNinja said:
Monoochrom said:
McNinja said:

Except ofcourse that the 360 uses normal DVDs.

Fail
Oh yes OF COURSE it uses regular DVDs! How silly of me think something different? I'm clearly a fucking moron and deserve nothing less than a good waterboarding.
Precisely, considering, you know, how you didn't even bother to check before spouting garbage?

Oh wait. No I don't. I got mixed up because, as I said earlier in the thread, I had read somewhere that the 360 used HDDVDs. Next time try not to come off a such a douchebag.
No, you didn't read that anywhere because it never used those. All there ever was, was a seperate drive, purely for movies. Next time try not to be so fucking thick.

Jesus christ do people not read threads anymore? Read a page or two then post something stupid which multiple people have already posted.
Because I totally give a shit that somebody already corrected you. Not like you could have just edited that post, huh? Next time try not to be a pansy when people call your bullshit out.
I A) didn't know it was garbage, B) DID in fact read it somewhere, and apparently just got the info wrong, and C) you could've not wasted your time responding to my retardation when several people already did.

Also, I like your attitude. Very "I'm better than you in every way, so much so that I know for certain what you did and did not read, and have the balls to tell you so." You'll go far in life with that.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
There are allot of methods to improve graphics that do not require a HUGE amount of different textures.

If they feel they can use these methods to create a graphic effect well enough.. I would say more power to them. And us ;)

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Bethesda, if you had the magic to shrink a huge game like skyrim onto one DVD, you should have just used that spell to remove the inevitable bugs this game is going to have.

And now my semi-witty comment is out of the way, I am going to keep freaking out over how awesome skyrim is going to be.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
things like huge tracts of land

That's impressive, Bethesda, but I'm still not sure I really understand how you can fit all of Skyrim in 8 gigs, or as I like to describe it, less than the size of my Bob Dylan .mp3 collection.
Monty Python references, Bob Dylan, and Skyrim continuing to do all the pre-release things that please me are giving me even more reasons to smile on my birthday. Good article, Mike.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
zenoaugustus said:
Mike Kayatta said:
things like huge tracts of land

That's impressive, Bethesda, but I'm still not sure I really understand how you can fit all of Skyrim in 8 gigs, or as I like to describe it, less than the size of my Bob Dylan .mp3 collection.
Monty Python references, Bob Dylan, and Skyrim continuing to do all the pre-release things that please me are giving me even more reasons to smile on my birthday. Good article, Mike.
Thanks! Also - I am really glad someone caught that Monty Python reference. Happy birthday!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Tharwen said:
Your avatar. Yes good sir. Just yes.
You're the second person to recognise it! Some people had the audacity to suggest that Toan was holding a Pokeball... As for disks, World of Warcraft and its expansions have each come on at least 3 disks (maybe not Cataclysm. I never owned it), and reinstalling took at least a day every time. The Sims has 4-ish too, if I remember that correctly, and Myst 3 came with one disk for each world. Of course, they were made a while ago so they probably don't count.

Also, I feel like I could have made an UNNNNLIMITED POINT CLOUD DATA joke...

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
Skyrim Fits On One DVD

Using dynamic effects and other wizardry, Bethesda has somehow managed to cram the entire world of Skyrim into a relatively tiny package.

Everything we seem to hear about Skyrim involves growth. Bigger maps, better graphics, L.A. Noire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112577-Skyrim-Legalizes-Gay-Marriage] earlier this year), yet somehow, perhaps by sacrificing a few mud crabs to a Daedric prince, Bethesda has seemingly ignored the laws of physics and managed to fit all of Skyrim onto one, count it, one DVD.

Now, before you get all "this is how they did it with advanced data compression" on everyone in the forums, nerd, let's just take a moment to breathe in the sweet, sweet aroma of being able to place just one disc into our Xbox 360s and never need to leave our couches for anything other than fridge-runs and bathroom-breaks for sixty hours straight. Get a good whiff? Okay, onto the tech.

According to a previously leaked half-hour Skyrim walkthrough video, developers claimed they were able to handle the majority of Skyrim's environment utilizing "dynamic effects." Essentially, what this means is that whenever the sun sets during a rainstorm, allowing your argonian vampire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112598-Bloodsuckers-Return-in-Skyrim] to stalk the poor people of Dawnstar, the game applies these filters on the fly to already-produced textures as opposed to having the need for a second texture set for each condition (i.e. an argonian texture, a wet argonian texture, and a wet argonian in the dark texture are all simply "an argonian" with different filters that can apply to all other textures as well). That's impressive, Bethesda, but I'm still not sure I really understand how you can fit all of Skyrim in 8 gigs, or as I like to describe it, less than the size of my Bob Dylan .mp3 collection.

The confirmation comes from Bethesda's art director Matt Carofano, who answered the question during a brief interview with ripten.com at this year's PAX Prime. Granted, Carofano isn't marketing or PR, so perhaps it's too soon to call this statement official. On the other hand, Carofano has been involved with the entire game's production, including the design of game cases and disc labels, so he probably has a pretty good idea of what's going on. There's still no word regarding the number of Skyrim discs you'll need to keep track of for PS3 or PC, but it's probably safe to say that if they got it down to just the one for the 360, they'll likely be doing the same for the others.

Source: Geek.com [http://www.ripten.com/2011/08/28/bethesda-confirms-that-skyrim-will-fit-on-one-xbox-360-disc/]

I caught the Monty Python reference, you clever person you. Also, I didn't think you could get an Argonian vampire. Aren't they like immune to disease and half immune to poison?