Skyrim HD Remake Announced, Free For PC

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Asclepion said:
To be fair, you need a super monster PC to run Skyrim smoothly with those kinds of mods. Scaling up to 2k or 4k? Hope you've got a few thousand dollars lying around (possibly more).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Asclepion said:
I've little doubt those mods were the result of hard work, but just looking at it I can tell that these things would nuke most processors.

Also what is with the modding community's obsession with T&A? I'm not saying that there's something wrong with it, but it seems like whenever you look at mods in a game that has as many as Skyirm, T&A always seems to be near the top.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Creator002 said:
Holy fucking shit. I thought the second photo was real for a second there.
Have you got a list of mods you could PM me to get it to that level? If not, tomorrow's going to be a long day.
Fimbulvetr3822 said:
Likewise, I'm thinking of having another swing at Skyrim over the summer and having it look this good would be great
anthony87 said:
A quick word on what mods those are and I'll love you forever.

Please and thank you.
Sure!

One of the most important mods will be ENBseries. [http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrim.html] ENB is a fantastic mod that adds a number of user-configurable postprocessing effects into the game. There are many ENB presets people have made. Some are realistic, some are noir, and some make you look like a CGI anime character. [https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/57189-1-1411610031.jpg] My personal favorite is VandB ENB [http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65584/?] (amazing color balance, subdued DoF, and low system requirements).
There are tutorials online for how to set this up.

These screenshots were taken from Real HD RGR ENB (WIP) [http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75056/?]

The author has also provided a link for the mods:
Modlist + Loadorder Link [https://mega.nz/#!vMFjxJoa!3-Ow_s8v05bK3eV3c203VumwvPH415FYnv6b4_f_Lj0]

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
RealRT said:
Stop calling them remakes when they clearly aren't, this is a remaster, there is a bloody difference: remakes are made from scratch, remasters take the original assets and just put a fresh coat of paint on them. Oddworld: New N Tasty is a remake. Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary Edition is a remake. Serious Sam HD is a remake. Skyrim Special Edition, System Shock Enhanced Edition and Doom 3 BFG Edition are not remakes, they are remasters.
A-fuckin'-men comrade! English has a pretty goddamn broad vocabulary. Is it really that hard to distinguish between two similar, but different words?

OT: I'd say anyone who pays full price for this on consoles loses their rights to complain about the gaming industry's business practices for ever and all eternity. Good on them for making it free on PC though. That reminds me, Skyrim is probably getting old enough that a decent laptop might run it with mods installed these days. Probably upgrading next year.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fappy said:
Asclepion said:
To be fair, you need a super monster PC to run Skyrim smoothly with those kinds of mods. Scaling up to 2k or 4k? Hope you've got a few thousand dollars lying around (possibly more).
Oh Fappy, you know PC elitists never take into account money. I mean, if homeless people don't like being homeless, they should just buy a house, duh. My house has 20 ACs to keep my mansion cool all summer, and the most luxurious silk bed, and its in super Warhammer 40K definition. You can see the molecules!

I still think they should have just updated Morrowind. Don't need a remake, just update visuals, fix a ton of bugs, and maybe add achievements and controller support for PC. They say its cause it was from the days of Xbox, but Kotor II did it. Tons of people never played it and don't get why so many of us still praise it, would be a good excuse for those hesitant to go back and see how great it is.

And no, I don't use mods, even on PC.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I meant it coming for free, They could of easily charged for it, very easily infact. Sure they would of been laughed at for being idiotic, but it could of easily been the case.
Bethesda do not deserve a hearty slap on the back for giving us something that can be gotten for free for free. Though I am interested in this statement about them making it 64bit, interested given that doing that alone would require a significant ground up rework of the game engine code to implement and given this is Bethesda, the company that wanted to make fucking money off of other peoples hard work, I seriously doubt they are going to this level of trouble to implement it and doing it for free.

I am guessing they will just work whatever code the modding community has come up with to work round the limits of 32bit in to their core game and then call it a day.

If on the other hand they ARE doing a total rewrite of the code to make it 64bit then yeah well done to them but until I see it I won't believe it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
erttheking said:
Asclepion said:
I've little doubt those mods were the result of hard work, but just looking at it I can tell that these things would nuke most processors.

Also what is with the modding community's obsession with T&A? I'm not saying that there's something wrong with it, but it seems like whenever you look at mods in a game that has as many as Skyirm, T&A always seems to be near the top.
The Nexus community is just like that, lol.

I appreciate it though since I mostly play female characters. I don't use the ridiculously revealing armor sets (they're tacky as fucking hell), but when I am playing my barbarian chick it helps to have a character model that looks the part. Gotta have that 6-pack mid-drift. Plus we wouldn't have so many awesome cosmetic options for female PCs if not for all the pervs. I have like 300+ hair options for female PCs in my game currently.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ravenshrike said:
erttheking said:
Asclepion said:

Because they're really easy to download and install and completely unlikely to crash your game? The question is not why, it's why not? Besides, the naked guy mod for Skyrim has 3/4 of the downloads of the most popular female one so it's not like it's only guy pervs.
I imagine many things are easy to download, I'm just wondering why this gets more attention than all of them. And I wasn't exactly singling out genders here. Why is there so much focus on T&A, regardless of gender? I'm not condemning, I'm wondering.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
MatthewTheDark said:
I think its a smart move that Bethesda is giving it away free for PC. Mostly because of the mods that make it look nice by itself, and second because if they did do that, PC gamers wouldn't let them hear the end of it. Overall a good move on their part, if a bit redundant.
It's less of a smart move and more of an absolutely necessary move on Bethesda's part.

In order for the console versions to sell well, Bethesda needs lots of mods to be made for the console versions, but in order for mods to be made, the modders need access to the PC version of the Skyrim Special Edition.

If Bethesda had charged money for the PC version instead of giving it away, then very few people would have bought it, would would mean very few mods would get made for the console versions, which in turn would negatively affect the sales of the console versions and cost Bethesda (and Microsoft/Sony) a lot of potential money.

It seems like an altruistic move, and in some ways it is, but the main reason Bethesda are doing it is because then need PC originating mods to drive the console sales and allow them to reap that full price 'next-gen' console remaster money.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
In my experience running ENB with shaders such as depth of field is way less performant than if this is implemented in games natively. So if Bethesda does their homework, we will get all of these shineys without the great ENB performance hit.
On the other hand, ENB itself might run better on this new version, because it will have an easier time of modifying the existing shader system, rather than having to implement it via hacks as it does now.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Laughing Man said:
Though I am interested in this statement about them making it 64bit, interested given that doing that alone would require a significant ground up rework of the game engine code to implement and given this is Bethesda, the company that wanted to make fucking money off of other peoples hard work, I seriously doubt they are going to this level of trouble to implement it and doing it for free.

I am guessing they will just work whatever code the modding community has come up with to work round the limits of 32bit in to their core game and then call it a day.

If on the other hand they ARE doing a total rewrite of the code to make it 64bit then yeah well done to them but until I see it I won't believe it.
Isn't Fallout 4 64-bit? If so, they probably just ported the whole game to the latest engine branch, especially since that would be the easiest way to port the game to current gen consoles as well.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...will my save, on PS4, be as screwed up as it was on the PS3...until half a year later?

>_>

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Isn't Fallout 4 64-bit? If so, they probably just ported the whole game to the latest engine branch, especially since that would be the easiest way to port the game to current gen consoles as well.
Hmmm didn't think of that. Yeah they did some upgrades to The Creation Engine for Fallout 4, a lot of them to do with lighting (the lighting stuff they mentioned in the Skyrim HD video) some stuff with hair and clothing dynamics, body dismemberment and they made the whole thing 64bit so yeah I guess if they recompile it to the new version of the engine maybe it is an easier job, since they already did the hard work prior to launching Fallout 4 (i.e making The Creation Engine 64bit.)

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Damian Porter said:
So, what's exactly different in this remaster for PC users?
The DoF and "Godrays" from Fallout 4, plus some additional foliage and changes to the color and behavior of snow. A native x64 .exe so that the game can use more RAM without having to hack it and risk more crashes. If you're someone who never uses mods, it'll be like having a handful of the less processor-intensive mods pre-installed with hopefully better performance and less crashes/bugs.