Skyrim HD Remake Announced, Free For PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Skyrim HD Remake Announced, Free For PC

The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim Special Edition will be a free upgrade for PC users who own Skyrim and all its DLC.

One of the big predictions for Bethesda's E3 presser was a Skyrim remaster [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167633-Bethesda-Reportedly-Showing-Skyrim-Remaster-Prey-2-Wolfenstein-2-and-More-at-E3], and it looks like it's come true in the most glorious way possible. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition is a HD remake of the original game, releasing on October 28, 2016 for the PS4, Xbox One and PC. But here's the big kicker - if you already own the Skyrim legendary edition, or vanilla Skyrim and all of its DLC on PC, the Special Edition will be a free upgrade! Check it out in the video above.

The Special Edition comes with all of the previously released Skyrim DLC, and will have full mod support on the PS4 and Xbox One versions, likely in a similar vein to the recently released Xbox One Fallout 4 mods [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167573-Fallout-4-Mods-Now-Live-on-Xbox-One].

It simply looks to be Skyirm given a HD coat of paint, and as far as we can tell there is no additional content being added.

It'll be interesting to see if Valve and Bethesda will revisit their paid mods experiment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140575-Valve-Announces-Paid-Skyrim-Mods] for the Special Edition of the game, as this will be the first time console users will have access to mods.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
That's pretty damn good on bethesdas part. And everyone here thought it wouldn't come to pc!

May just have to upgrade

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Stop calling them remakes when they clearly aren't, this is a remaster, there is a bloody difference: remakes are made from scratch, remasters take the original assets and just put a fresh coat of paint on them. Oddworld: New N Tasty is a remake. Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary Edition is a remake. Serious Sam HD is a remake. Skyrim Special Edition, System Shock Enhanced Edition and Doom 3 BFG Edition are not remakes, they are remasters.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I know it's a nice gesture, but if you have it on PC you can get mods that do a far, far better job of remastering Skyrim than Bethesda appears to have done.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
I think its a smart move that Bethesda is giving it away free for PC. Mostly because of the mods that make it look nice by itself, and second because if they did do that, PC gamers wouldn't let them hear the end of it. Overall a good move on their part, if a bit redundant.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Ambitiousmould said:
I know it's a nice gesture, but if you have it on PC you can get mods that do a far, far better job of remastering Skyrim than Bethesda appears to have done.
But to be fair, some people don't like modding.

I only mod from Steam, rarely do i go anywhere else for mods simply because i can't be arsed, steam mods are quick and easy to do.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
No offense, but this just looked to me like Skyrim Vanilla on PC with the settings turned up to high.

The textures and the geometry are still butt-ugly (although that video fragmenting doesn't help wither) and the individual assets will still probably be pretty janky.

ENB would probably look better to be honest. There's also probably a few total conversion mods that make it look better as well.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Buizel91 said:
Ambitiousmould said:

I only mod from Steam, rarely do i go anywhere else for mods simply because i can't be arsed, steam mods are quick and easy to do.
Well that's fair enough, and I can understand that. Modding can be a proper pain in the arse. That said, for things as simple as graphics mods (things like ENB not included, because that really is a pain the ring) it's often just a case of having the mod manager do everything.

The thing is, this seems to be just HD textures and some fog (or so I hear). Mods can add all that (but with even better textures, and more choices of textures to allow a user to choose what's best for their rig, right down to HD bird's nests) and things like improved models, meshes, parallax, effects, lighting, skyboxes, animation, reflection, refraction, and probably a metric shit-tonne more that I don't know about or understand. Obviously this isn't even touching on other content like items and gameplay changes.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Ambitiousmould said:
Buizel91 said:
Ambitiousmould said:

Well that's fair enough, and I can understand that. Modding can be a proper pain in the arse. That said, for things as simple as graphics mods (things like ENB not included, because that really is a pain the ring) it's often just a case of having the mod manager do everything.

The thing is, this seems to be just HD textures and some fog (or so I hear). Mods can add all that (but with even better textures, and more choices of textures to allow a user to choose what's best for their rig, right down to HD bird's nests) and things like improved models, meshes, parallax, effects, lighting, skyboxes, animation, reflection, refraction, and probably a metric shit-tonne more that I don't know about or understand. Obviously this isn't even touching on other content like items and gameplay changes.
But as a free upgrade? This is getting released in October, it might look even better And some new stuff could be added, who knows?

The way i Mod, i haven't seen a mod like this at all, there are some that give you new weather effects sure but nothing like on the video. Not sure about any other modding sites or whatever but i'm pretty sure there is nothing like this on Steam.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
I realize it's been done to death by now, but let me just stress what mods already do on PC:

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Shame that they're not bothering with the god-awful writing. Then it might actually be worth a 'remaster'.
I'm not liking this whole console generation, we used to complain about samey sequels but now it's just the same game full-stop.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Asclepion said:
Holy fucking shit. I thought the second photo was real for a second there.
Have you got a list of mods you could PM me to get it to that level? If not, tomorrow's going to be a long day.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Ambitiousmould said:
Hence it being free. I presume this is simply for the sake of consoles and the PC release is more for the sake of convenience than anything else.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
That's pretty damn good on bethesdas part. And everyone here thought it wouldn't come to pc!
It came to PC over two years ago, everything shown in those trailers was released by the modding community, in some case several times over a long long time ago. Just looks like Bethesda cherry picked the best parts of the modding communities work and then applied them to their 'remastered' version and are now going to charge the console owners a fee for the pleasure of owning that... imagine that a large company charging people to play other peoples work... what sort of shitty company would do that?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Laughing Man said:
It came to PC over two years ago, everything shown in those trailers was released by the modding community, in some case several times over a long long time ago. Just looks like Bethesda cherry picked the best parts of the modding communities work and then applied them to their 'remastered' version and are now going to charge the console owners a fee for the pleasure of owning that... imagine that a large company charging people to play other peoples work... what sort of shitty company would do that?
I meant it coming for free, They could of easily charged for it, very easily infact. Sure they would of been laughed at for being idiotic, but it could of easily been the case.

I don't care if mods have done this for years, It looked good, and apparently runs at 64 bits as aposed to the 32 it's running at atm

It means instead of modding the game to be 64bit, and modding the mod to allow other mods to be used, People can mod the 64bit version of the game, which i read will reduce crashes and such.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Welcome to the PC Gaming Masterrace ;)

If it makes sense or not, it is quite nice to get this "upgrade" for free.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Isnt that basically just selling a update patch at this point, The only new thing thats really been announced which hasn't been done by already existing and easy to install mods is console mods.

Fimbulvetr3822

A line, held
May 8, 2012
Creator002 said:
Asclepion said:
Holy fucking shit. I thought the second photo was real for a second there.
Have you got a list of mods you could PM me to get it to that level? If not, tomorrow's going to be a long day.
Likewise, I'm thinking of having another swing at Skyrim over the summer and having it look this good would be great