Skyrim Metaphor?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
CyanideSandwich said:
Skyrim is a metaphor for Nazi Germany.
It doesn't really hold up beyond the name. And even then, it's known as the Fatherland because it marks the point where humans first landed on Tameril and was the home of the first Dragonborn Emperor.

CyanideSandwich said:
Try Ulfric to begin with. I believe he is a metaphor for Hitler.
Again, it doesn't really hold under scrutiny.

CyanideSandwich said:
He was very bitter about a previous war (with the Dominion) and hated the Dark Elves for it.
It was a war he lost, where he was captured and tortured all after having countless countrymen slaughtered around him. That's more than enough reason to hate elves in general. Most of these points serve to make his position reasonable rather than any attempt to draw a parallel to Hitler. There are other notable historical figures where this would work.

CyanideSandwich said:
He was also a great public speaker, much like Hitler.
He's the leader of a popular rebellion. Those are very generally lead by someone who can work a crowd to the extent that it is one of the fundamental requirements of organized rebellion.

CyanideSandwich said:
The first thing you notice when entering this place is a Dark Elf being abused and the ghetto that Dark Elves are forced to live in.
Segregation, racism and abuse/terror could represent any number of places and times. In fact, it would more or less stand in for just about anywhere more than a few hundred years ago. The American South in 1953 is a fairly modern example.

CyanideSandwich said:
Most people you meet in Windhelm have a military background or are in some way supporting everything that Ulfric is saying, agreeing with his racist views and encouraging the war.
These are people who likewise often fought in a brutal war and lost and then had a fundamental tenant of their religion stolen from them. If anything, it offers a good representation of the Holy Land during the crusades.

CyanideSandwich said:
I think it goes without saying that the Khajit represent travelling gypsies. They are discriminated against as well
Their pattern of speech actually better resembles any of a number of north african or middle eastern languages. Couple that with their basic environment (jungle and desert) and I think you'd find an easier time drawing a connection to a number of African or Asian nations than Eastern Europe. In fact, the only thing they have in common with gypsies is the nomadic lifestyle but this is largely enforced outside of Elsewyre because it's hard for a Kajiit to find a steady job.

CyanideSandwich said:
with their caravans being routinely raided and destroyed.
Everyone's caravans are raided and destroyed. Bandits seem to be a terrible problem in Tammeriel.

CyanideSandwich said:
What are your thoughts on this, Escapist? Am I onto something, or am I batshit insane?

Neither. You're simply drawing a connection when there isn't one.

You have a popular rebellion based on religion and nationalism lead by a guy who speaks well but probably wants power as much as anything else. Nazi Germany was not a popular rebellion, nor was religion much of a factor. Nationalism was there I suppose. Most of the racism comes from that nationalism thing in Skyrim and therein lies your one useful connection. By and large, I'd say you'd have a better time looking at places like the Holy Land during the Crusades or France towards the end of the hundred years war or the various conflicts in Chechnya or Lebanon's most recent Civil War. All of these have stronger parallels with Lebanon's being nearly perfect in every way.

In Lebanon, you had three basic factions: Maronite Christians, Sunni and Shia muslims. Historically, this region had been part of Syria (and earlier, Persia which we now call Iran). Following the end of a disastrous war (the Six Day War), several million Sunni muslims were displaced. Many ended up in Lebanon. There was a fragile balance of power between the three groups that was upset by the influx, providing a significant basis for the opening shots of the civil war. During the war, the various factions fielded militias of various strength and there were a number of leaders on all sides that could work crowds. Outside powers used the war as a way to expand their influence. The nation was occupied by both Israeli and Syrian forces until the end of the war when Israel largely retreated but a puppet government remained controlled by Syria until 2005 when a bombing killed an influential figure leading to yet another popular revolt and the precarious state of the nation today. Hezbollah was formed and is generally considered to be little more than an agent of the Iranian state.

The parallels you can draw in that particular case are impressive. You've got multiple factions separated by religion and cultural issues. You have outside powers with an obvious stake in the war. You've got obvious sectarian division which often resulted in racism by default (A Sunni Muslim in the area is likely to be Arab for example). You've got firebrand leaders on all sides. You've got milita units supported by outside powers attempting to move the conflict in a particular direction (kinda like the Thalmor justicars).

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
CyanideSandwich said:
The first thing you notice when entering this place is a Dark Elf being abused and the ghetto that Dark Elves are forced to live in. Remind you of anything?
Poor Black people in the United States of America? Windhelm is Harlem (or Compton, if you will), etc. etc. ad infinitum.

It's a big open game, and it's been pointed out that you can probably apply any damned 'metaphor' you want to Skyrim if you look hard enough for it.

So, I'm gonna join the majority, and say it's a coincidence, but I'll add that I too enjoy finding similarities in such things, so I've no drama with you doing it.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
I'd just like to point out that there is a huge difference between discrimination and attempted genocide.