Skyrim Mod: Falskaar Adds 20 Hours of Gameplay

Dec 14, 2009
Fdzzaigl said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Cool.

I use SkyRe though, so until a proper patch is released, I'll keep my eye on it :D
The author says that it should be fine, so there shouldn't be many issues.

You can always use the ReProccer [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28467//?] to make sure any new items have the right stats.
I already use the ReProccer for the new stuff I add :D

Considering it's not fully compatible, I'll wait.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Looks pretty brilliant, it makes me sad I don't have a computer good enough to run Skryim, I had lots of fun with Oblivion mods. The best content mod I ever played for that was The Lost Spires, and whilst it was awesome (one of the few fully voiced ones), it was clearly not on par with official content, especially with the voice acting. I'm not so familiar with Skyrim so it's hard to tell what's new and what's using Skyrim's resources anyway, but this looks even better. My only niggle is that I'm a stickler for lore-friendly mods, but it's no big deal.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Caught this yesterday on the Nexus, had my interest imediately piqued as unlike most other purported 'story' content on there, this looks eminently professional.

First opinion though? "Goddamnit, I just finally got round to downloading Dragonborn." So I guess I'll wait a while before diving into this.

My only other issue with it is that the few screenshots I've seen look absolutely no different from vanilla Skyrim. I appreciate that a mod like this is obviously going to have to rely largely on recycling assets, but I have seen other, smaller mods use assets in different arrangements that give it the feel of a new place.

I know I really shouldn't comment on this until I play it, but from what I've seen so far, it does seem a little too much like more of the same. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm jonesing nonetheless for a little variety in the scenery. I just wish the Elsweyr mod had been made to this sort of standard...

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
...I love mod support.

Starke said:
Steven Bogos said:
It's stuff like this that makes me sad whenever I hear that future games won't have mod support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125024-Battlefield-4-Wont-Support-Mods].
For a second, I thought you meant future Bethesda games, and you scared me. Given that TESO won't have real mod support (for obvious reasons), it wouldn't surprise me if they were ditching support of future Fallout and TES games. :(
Me too... Personally I don't care about TESO, not anymore at least. I wasn't optimistic in the beginning, but everything I've seen from that game so far has made me less intersted. I'm not an MMO person, I don't enjoy myself in most MMORPGs, and TESO seems to have had to compromise too many of the features I know and love from the previous TES games in order to work as an MMO.

I am NOT worried that Bethesda will cut mod support from their future Fallout and TES titles though. There is a reason why they are still releasing tools for their games. They live much longer when people can mod for them, and mod support helps grow a large loyal following. I'm certainly one of the people eagerly waiting for the next Fallout, as much for the game itself as for the modding tools I get to play around with later!

Ultratwinkie said:
You eventually need to use this, because you need to create scripts that make the game actually work past static objects like buildings.
For Bethesda games it's not even eventually! As you know (you posted a screenshot of it after all) even the most basic modding takes place within their Creation Engine/TES Construction Set/GECK. If you want to make character models, weapons and such you'll need 3D modelling tools too, also not available for consoles. Then there is the software for making and animating skeletons and such (which I don't remember the name for, the one I used for Fallout: NV anyway...), and don't even get me started on scripting! Tricky stuff!

The only hope consoles can have in this regard is if it would be possible for PC mods to be ported to consoles. That would require some expertise from the modders themselves, but the biggest obstacle by far is the console manufacturers.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Great article there, though I believe there are actually quite a few other mods that would deserve spotlight like this just for the shear enormity of how they can change the game and make you want to replay it the umpteenth time. For example, SkyRE (aka. Skyrim Redone, http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9286) changes all the skills and adds a plethora of new elements and tweaks into the game, so it could be said it is a reason by itself to replay the entire game from beginning to end just to see the changes.

The mod I'm currently waiting for is this: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37216/?
It is a re-haul of the civil war where you actually has to take over the cities themselves, and if you don't try hard enough (don't follow orders, don't show up at the sieges, etc.), your side can actually lose the war! Once finished, that mod will be enough to make me re-play the game the fourth time.

Now, the only mod I am still missing would be one that makes all the NPCs react properly to my character's magnificent presence (like, say, not treating their Thane like a random beggar or the Jarls actually recognizing the Dragonborn when he walks up to them in full dragonbone armor and Daedric weapons) and make the dumb bandits run away instead of trying to fight me, and Skyrim would be perfect. For every other issue, we already have mods. :)

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Oh god it's stuff like this that just upsets me deeply through every fibre of my being. I need to get my Skyrim working so badly, I just can't seem to get past so many crashes despite my high end PC. :(

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
GabeZhul said:
For every other issue, we already have mods. :)
Best part... The developers don't even need to make the perfect game (although that would certainly be something to aim for!), cause modders will handle that part for them. Minecraft as another excellent example!

CaptainThom

Jun 24, 2013
This looks amazing its just a shame it isn't on steam workshop because i always forget my account for nexus forums :/

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Starke said:
Steven Bogos said:
It's stuff like this that makes me sad whenever I hear that future games won't have mod support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125024-Battlefield-4-Wont-Support-Mods].
For a second, I thought you meant future Bethesda games, and you scared me. Given that TESO won't have real mod support (for obvious reasons), it wouldn't surprise me if they were ditching support of future Fallout and TES games. :(
Don't be silly. That would be like Valve ditching indie support.

OT: Wow. I'm really impressed. If this doesn't land him a job, nothing will.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
And this is why I buy games like Skyrim on release day for $60, while I buy games like Battlefield 3 on sale for $17.
Wait, how does that make any sense?
You get more game for your money the longer the game is out.

So by the time you've finished the vanilla game, there's already more free content for you.

While with games like Battlefield, what you buy is what you get, forever.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
Between this and the recent Fallout: New Vegas Mod 'Project Brazil', the amount of penis envy I have towards PC Gamers with amazing rigs damn near reduces me to big sobby man-tears :(

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Starke said:
Steven Bogos said:
It would surprise the shit out of me if they did. Bethesda games and Creative Assembly games are so popular BECAUSE of their mod support. It would be crazy for them to attempt that even if they had a decent reason, which they really don't. It's a win win for dev and modder alike.Dev gets some really cool mods that add to the appeal of their game and get some fan loyalty and modders get to show off their skills for the industry they're wanting a job in while also getting their own amount of fame. The only downside for devs is making their game moddable... game engines are complicated beasts.