Skyrim or The Witcher 2?

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Been playing the Witcher 2 and it's really addictive. All the quests are different from each other and the fact that there is an actual story is really nice. Although you don't have the whole world in from of you to explore, the areas you get to work around are pretty big with a varied amount of monsters. The combat is also head and shoulders above Skyrim's

Skyrim on the other hand has much better customization and larger areas. The play styles in Skyrim are also more diverse than the Witchers but it is not as enjoyable to execute. It also has an abundance of dragons...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I enjoyed them both for different reasons and eventually came to despise them both for different reasons.

[sub](If that sounds vague it's because I'm not actually sure what the OP wants us to talk about.)[/sub]

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I've only played Skyrim, so I can't say anything about Witcher 2.
[small]Other than Silver and Steel is an awesome song.[/small]

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Do you mean which is best? Because those two are about as incomparable as you can get.

I prefer Witcher 2, but that's mostly because I like a focused linear story over a billion stories in a sandbox.
Both of them are RPG's in a fantasy setting. In both games, you play as someone who is close to being the last of his kind (Witcher or Dragonborn). Both have dialogue options. I could go on, of course. I fail to see how they are so mind-blowingly "incomparable". Maybe if these are the two only games you have ever played in your entire life, but otherwise...

In fact, if I try to apply your logic, all we can ever compare is games that are part of the same franchise, and even then, some franchises evolve to have a bigger difference between earlier and later games than there is between The Witcher 2 and Skyrim.

OT: I prefer Skyrim. It has a great atmosphere and an impressive amount of freedom.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
They're not comparable really.

In terms of what you can do, customization and feeling of scale Skyrim wins for me. But in graphics/aesthetics, story and combat Witcher 2 wins for me. The general 'feel' of both games are about equal, but for different reasons.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
Draech said:
shrimpcel said:
SecretNegative said:
Do you mean which is best? Because those two are about as incomparable as you can get.

I prefer Witcher 2, but that's mostly because I like a focused linear story over a billion stories in a sandbox.
Both of them are RPG's in a fantasy setting. In both games, you play as someone who is close to being the last of his kind (Witcher or Dragonborn). Both have dialogue options. I could go on, of course. I fail to see how they are so mind-blowingly "incomparable". Maybe if these are the two only games you have ever played in your entire life, but otherwise...

In fact, if I try to apply your logic, all we can ever compare is games that are part of the same franchise, and even then, some franchises evolve to have a bigger difference between earlier and later games than there is between The Witcher 2 and Skyrim.

OT: I prefer Skyrim. It has a great atmosphere and an impressive amount of freedom.
You have got to be kidding....

One of them uses swords and so does the other and therefore they can be compared....

Witcher 2 is a liniar story with few, segnificant choices with a predetermined char. You cannot redefine him outside what has been defined as his char. Skyrim's char is a blank slate in a sandbox. You decide more or less everything about him. Race, sex, Persona, skillset. These are in no way comparable. The world isn't tied to a specific story, but instead a giant sandbox. They have randomly generated quests in there for crying out loud.

God....
Well, didn't you just compare the two?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
The combat in Skyrim is clunky as hell and the story leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll say Witcher 2.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
SecretNegative said:
shrimpcel said:
Well, didn't you just compare the two?
Umm, the hell?

You know, the OP was asking for quality, he didn't compare these two in quality. It all comes down to what you want in a game.
Oh alright then. To be fair, the OP was not very clear on what he was asking! :)

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
I have played both, and didn't like either of them. Both were essentially action games with RPG mechanics, and both had terribly clunky combat. I guess I will say The Witcher 2 because I liked the more focussed experience, and the combat was the better one out of the two.

The thing that bothered me about the Witcher 2 the most was the inconsistent sword animations in comabt. I can see they included a ton of different animations of Geralt swinging his sword to keep the game interesting, but that added a ton of problems. In a combat system where you can't interrupt a sword swing once you've started it, you need to know EXACTLY how long the attack will take so you can time your dodge accordingly. The inconsistent sword animations made that impossible to do 100% of the time. It's bad game design. Compared to a combat system like Dark Souls, The Witcher just isn't up to snuff.

Not to mention the fact that I'm not sold on this being a mature and adult story. It seems like a lot of profane material was thrown in for the hell of it. I realize that in that time people were more than a little uncouth, but I've never heard someone say, "What the ass fuck is going on here?" That's just childish. Additionally, you can't make it more than thirty minutes without some profane sexual innuendo. It's fine at first but gets old quick.

I would go into detail about what I don't like about Skyrim, but I don't have all day.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
shrimpcel said:
SecretNegative said:

Both of them are RPG's in a fantasy setting. In both games, you play as someone who is close to being the last of his kind (Witcher or Dragonborn). Both have dialogue options. I could go on, of course.
You could, but the straws would probably snap so hard they'd blind you.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I personally think Witcher 2 is better in nearly every way since the combat is more entertaining and not just a "Mash attack to win". Also, the Alchemy system is more fun and less random in my opinion and in general the weapon variation feels better since it caters to how you want to play.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Draech said:
shrimpcel said:
SecretNegative said:

You have got to be kidding....

One of them uses swords and so does the other and therefore they can be compared....

Witcher 2 is a liniar story with few, segnificant choices with a predetermined char. You cannot redefine him outside what has been defined as his char. Skyrim's char is a blank slate in a sandbox. You decide more or less everything about him. Race, sex, Persona, skillset. These are in no way comparable. The world isn't tied to a specific story, but instead a giant sandbox. They have randomly generated quests in there for crying out loud.

God....
You just did the same thing you complained at him for. You sited 1 difference to support the notion they are incomparable. Linear and sandbox games are comparable especially if they have as much in common as these two do. About the only difference in them is linear vs open. Even Skyrim has a linear story inside of it.

I would suggest Skyrim. It's story isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It is a pretty decent story. Good but not great. Additionally, it offers player versatility much better and has that "whoops, I wasted a lot of time on fun diversions" thing going on. Plus, if you like mods it has a much larger community.