Skyrim Patch Notes Released

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011

Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
[/quote]

So that WAS a bug? I thought dragons were just dickheads and every now and then one would just prance about the sky being all like:

Hey, like my fancy wings? Yeah I thought so, too bad you cant have them.
Like my shiny scales and pearly white teeth? Yeah they're pretty cool too.
Man, it must SUCK not being a dragon and all...
Did I mention I'm a freakin' dragon?

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
DustyDrB said:
I haven't experienced this with any other companion. I've mostly used Erandur (best companion in the game), but have gone with Lydia, Kharjo, and that priest of Azura (whatever her name is) some too. Aela does use the swords and shields I give her, though. But at level 40, the hunting bow just sucks. It kind of sucks at level 4.
I tried to give Aela a really good enchanted Daedric bow, but she wouldn't use it. Same for pretty much any companion, they always use their default bow over the ones you give them, at least for me. Tried to give Vilkas some good enchanted Wolf Armor gauntlets that increased his two-handed damage, but he wouldn't equip over his weaker, normal wolf gauntlets. The way companions equip your stuff is really finicky in general honestly.

If you want Aela to be a decent archer, I guess giving her some Fortify Archery enchanted gear will make her somewhat decent, but the hunting bow still sucks. *shrug*

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
DustyDrB said:
I haven't experienced this with any other companion. I've mostly used Erandur (best companion in the game), but have gone with Lydia, Kharjo, and that priest of Azura (whatever her name is) some too. Aela does use the swords and shields I give her, though. But at level 40, the hunting bow just sucks. It kind of sucks at level 4.
I tried to give Aela a really good enchanted Daedric bow, but she wouldn't use it. Same for pretty much any companion, they always use their default bow over the ones you give them, at least for me. Tried to give Vilkas some good enchanted Wolf Armor gauntlets that increased his two-handed damage, but he wouldn't equip over his weaker, normal wolf gauntlets. The way companions equip your stuff is really finicky in general honestly.
Did you give them arrows to go with it? Im not sure how Skyrim works, but I remember in New Vegas the companions only had infinite ammo for their default wep and would only use other weapons if you gave them the ammo to go with it. Maybe its the same here?

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
TimeLord said:
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead

Thank the gods! That damn bug made me give up on Marrige since the guest arrives dead your bride turns on you and refuses to marry you!
How does that work exactly anyway, I'm actually curious. Does the bride suddenly decide to hate you because the corpse stinks up the wedding and ruins it?

OT: Well this seems like an okay start, but I heard the game has far more than just those, and will need a lot more fixes before I consider buying it.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Prof.Beany said:
Did you give them arrows to go with it? Im not sure how Skyrim works, but I remember in New Vegas the companions only had infinite ammo for their default wep and would only use other weapons if you gave them the ammo to go with it. Maybe its the same here?
Yeah, tried that. Didn't work, unfortunately. The companion system as a whole feels like a step down from that game. They should've brought back the companion wheel or something similar for Skyrim. Kinda clunky going back to the dialogue menus. (Especially considering they have an order companion option, which would be useful if it wasn't so clunky using it)

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Prof.Beany said:
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
So that WAS a bug? I thought dragons were just dickheads and every now and then one would just prance about the sky being all like:

Hey, like my fancy wings? Yeah I thought so, too bad you cant have them.
Like my shiny scales and pearly white teeth? Yeah they're pretty cool too.
Man, it must SUCK not being a dragon and all...
Did I mention I'm a freakin' dragon?[/quote]
I never knew the voice in my head could sound so camp...

Also thought this was Working As Intended, just so when I gave up and forgot about them, they could scare the shit out of me as they barrel rolled from behind next to my ear.
archvile93 said:
TimeLord said:

Thank the gods! That damn bug made me give up on Marrige since the guest arrives dead your bride turns on you and refuses to marry you!
How does that work exactly anyway, I'm actually curious. Does the bride suddenly decide to hate you because the corpse stinks up the wedding and ruins it?

OT: Well this seems like an okay start, but I heard the game has far more than just those, and will need a lot more fixes before I consider buying it.
From what I hear, it cancels the wedding, but if you try again, the corpse returns, and you need to drag the corpse into the basement like the dirty laundry of yours that it is.

As for bugs, apart from the game occassionally crashing when I alt-tab, I've had none for the PC. Besides really minor ones like an arrow being in my knee for a couple of rooms too long.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
archvile93 said:
TimeLord said:

I guess she just basically accuses you of murdering the poor soul who dropped dead since you are the one running around Skyrim murdering everything else, it actually seems like a reasonable accusation to be fair.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I am finding the glitches up until now quite funny aside from the ones that break entire quest lines, having said that I would like to see less dragons fannying about while I try to get their attention, something has gone awry when I am bored enough that I stand on a hill flicking arrows at dragonsj just to get their attention!

Also what about "Fixed issue where having guards after you in a town 10 miles away makes a plot relevant npc follow you forever asking what you want" or
"Fixed frequent issue where character decides he doesn't wan't to use his weapons today oh no sireebob" or
"Fixed semifrequent issue where entire bodies of water become invisible and the floor turns blurry" or
"Fixed issue where beating the dragon you are supposed to capture makes it jam itself through the mechanism and refuse to talk to you" or ect ect you get my point.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
wait...wat? You can get married in Skyrim?

I should've thought that through... female-female marriages allowed in this game or am I doomed to a lonely, single life?

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I'm glad they are fixing the issue with dragon corpses. The first dragon you can kill just stayed at the guard tower forever, but its physics changed to near weightless and collision errors kept making it jump around. Eventually it landed in Whiterun's gate!

A firebolt sent it flying out into oblivion, but I've seen other corpses threaten to stick around and go bouncy on me.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
antipunt said:

I should've thought that through... female-female marriages allowed in this game or am I doomed to a lonely, single life?
There aren't any restrictions on gender when it comes to marriage. If they like you and are flagged by the Radiant system as willing to marry, you can marry them male or female. You just need to talk with the priest of Mara in Riften first.

Eccentric Lich

Dec 8, 2009
This is a really disappointing patch.

How about fixing the random dragon skeletons that fall out of the sky? Or the one where companions don't equip things that you give them? Maybe fixing the major one where you sometimes can't tab out of conversation? No? Just rare and minor bugs? Thanks, Beth.

I wasn't expecting them to fix destruction, but it would've been nice. It's like they see giving players the ability to mod as an excuse to release a painfully unfinished game.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
How about the part where it won't let me buy the house in windhelm? That's a bit of a problem.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Ugh, programming these kinds of games must be a motherfuckin nightmare.

So many objects, interacting with many other objects, in many possible ways, in many possible environments, under many possible situations.

I'm surprised it's running as well as it is, even without the patch.

They should have kept the corpse at the wedding. It's pretty funny.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
archvile93 said:
TimeLord said:

If we're going by the dialogue in this video, it's because the body is a tripping hazard. :p

Eccentric Lich said:
How about fixing the random dragon skeletons that fall out of the sky? Or the one where companions don't equip things that you give them? Maybe fixing the major one where you sometimes can't tab out of conversation? No? Just rare and minor bugs? Thanks, Beth.
Yes, "rare and minor" bugs. I think they're downplaying some of the issues they did fix; I've seen non-attacking dragons and non-absorbing souls way more often than I'd like.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Installed the patch today. Games crashed on me 4 times in a row after dieing or loading a save.
Fuck. Bethesda are fucking lucky I love their games.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Jonci said:
antipunt said:

There aren't any restrictions on gender when it comes to marriage. If they like you and are flagged by the Radiant system as willing to marry, you can marry them male or female. You just need to talk with the priest of Mara in Riften first.
Sweet, OK now I need to get hitched so I can see someone die spontaneously. I hope it's your mother in law

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
DarkRyter said:
Ugh, programming these kinds of games must be a motherfuckin nightmare.

So many objects, interacting with many other objects, in many possible ways, in many possible environments, under many possible situations.

I'm surprised it's running as well as it is, even without the patch.

They should have kept the corpse at the wedding. It's pretty funny.
Corpse wedding was hilarious when it happened to me. I showed up and 1 of my guests was dead for some reason, and another one kept walking straight into the far wall past the alter (glitch in pathfinding XD)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Glad they fixed the lag on the PS3. The other two I was hoping for but apparently didn't get are:

1) I want my 'Well Rested' bonus back! I cured my blood, but I still don't get anything when I sleep. This bothers me, and makes me wonder if it will be a problem when I get married. Will I not receive the lover's bonus too?

2) Orla is the only girl I've found--so far--who I think it worth marrying. She's cute, her voice is sweet, she's nice, and the fact that she hides her face behind that hood just makes her more attractive. Yet, from what I understand, even if you marry here and tell her where you want to live, she won't leave the temple. Come on...