Skyrim PC Requirements Revealed

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
Stuffzors.
Eh, yeah. I remember playing Oblivion on my older rig and having to hunt for low-poly grass mods that didn't remove anything to the game's aesthetics but gave me a tremendous FPS boost.

And a texture pack that also removed nothing to the game's visual flair and made me save on memory use.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
*drools* upgraded my pc EXCLUSIVELY FOR THIS GAME (well, obviously coming with benefits for other games, but STILL)

Ultra here I commmeeeee

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Well that's a relief. I was expecting much worse.

Let's hope they don't fall in the "Rage" console port trap all is well.

Oh, by the way, does somebody know what "recommended setting" actually stands for? Because I thinks it's pretty vague. I doubt it but does it mean you can play the maximum settings with that configuration?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
danpascooch said:
A
Also, I am using an i7 processor (eight cores) at 1.6GHz

I notice that is under the minimum for Ghz, but I am well over the recommended for number of cores, does my high core count compensate for the low Ghz? And if so, by how much? Obviously there isn't some conversion formula I can plug this shit into, but it would be nice to know where I can consider my processor to fall on the scale.
My Guess; no.
I don't really know any game that utilises 8 let alone 4 cores fully. Hell, the idea of 64-bit is also almost rendered useless.

Hopefully you are not using a laptop, if you aren't then don't worry as it easy to apply adequate cooling and power if need be to around 2.3GHz at the minimum.

As for the GPU, apparently it's an equivalent to 5730-5750 series.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Still undecided whether to upgrade my pc for this. I know I have to upgrade my pc, I have all the parts in a basket on an online store as well. It's just whether I wana fork over the money for pretty much 1 game.

Decisions, decisions...

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Dammit! So Steam is required for any version of the PC release? Looks like I won't be getting Skyrim after all then...

Don't get me wrong, I love Steam, use it all the time. It's perfect for everything BUT Bethesda games. Modding is such a pain in the ass, and I can't play it vanilla with that atrocious interface. Oh well, looks like I'll be reinstalling Oblivion instead!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I can run Battlefield 3 on high with no hiccups at all, even with a myriad of explosions and buildings falling apart around me. I don't think I'll be having a problem.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Anyone know if Skyrim will make use of DirectX 11? Cant remember if this was mentioned before.
9 is really outdated.

Reptiloid said:
Dammit! So Steam is required for any version of the PC release? Looks like I won't be getting Skyrim after all then...

Don't get me wrong, I love Steam, use it all the time. It's perfect for everything BUT Bethesda games. Modding is such a pain in the ass, and I can't play it vanilla with that atrocious interface. Oh well, looks like I'll be reinstalling Oblivion instead!

Im with you on the modding part, thats gonna be a clickfest and i do regard it as a fu towards modders.
If i'm going to make mods for it (most likely) i will get a pirated version just to test them on.
Also i dont see what the advantage of Steam for Skyrim is? Yes, you can play it right at midnight on release day, but no physical copy/map/manual/extra's.
Steam has nothing to offer for the singleplayer game experience.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Hmm, well wattaya know, my new laptop exceeds the recommended, and here I was worried I'd end up needing to play it with everything on low.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
F said:
Does it really need steam...because if so what about modding? Can't add mods to a steam copy can you?

Also It seems my laptop could play it...just about.
modding is easy on steam, my mate has loads of mods for his Steam vertion of lots of games

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Reptiloid said:

Modding a Bethesda game is easy. You dump the files into the game's data folder then you select them in the launcher. Installing the Geck is just dropping the files into the games main dir, and using the geck is easier still.

The only thing steam ever does is open the games launcher and hog some system resources.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
F said:
Does it really need steam...because if so what about modding? Can't add mods to a steam copy can you?

Also It seems my laptop could play it...just about.
I'm pretty sure you still can do mods, in tie with steam. You can do it with New Vegas, in pretty sure.

O.T. Well my machine will probaly need an upgrade next year.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
mad825 said:
danpascooch said:
A

I notice that is under the minimum for Ghz, but I am well over the recommended for number of cores, does my high core count compensate for the low Ghz? And if so, by how much? Obviously there isn't some conversion formula I can plug this shit into, but it would be nice to know where I can consider my processor to fall on the scale.
My Guess; no.
I don't really know any game that utilises 8 let alone 4 cores fully. Hell, the idea of 64-bit is also almost rendered useless.

Hopefully you are not using a laptop, if you aren't then don't worry as it easy to apply adequate cooling and power if need be to around 2.3GHz at the minimum.

lol, are you joking? an i7 is MORE than enough for ANY game out there. i7 has 4 cores with multithreading(aka uses smart technology to double the output of the 4 cores to 8).

long story short, more cores = less Hz needed = less temperature problems. i have at least 3 games that use my i7 to full capacity. an i7 is MORE than enough for skyrim. the whole point of having multiple cores is so you DONT have temperatureproblems. if you have 2 cores running at 2.3gh, that means 2.3 * 2 = 4.6. but if you have 4 cores, running at 1.8 Ghz, that means 4 * 1.8Ghz = 7.2 Ghz.

as for the GPU, any Gfx over the 200 series for nVidia and the 4000 series for ATI will work with this game.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
draythefingerless said:
mad825 said:
danpascooch said:
A

My Guess; no.

lol, are you joking? an i7 is MORE than enough for ANY game out there. i7 has 4 cores with multithreading(aka uses smart technology to double the output of the 4 cores to 8).

long story short, more cores = less Hz needed = less temperature problems. i have at least 3 games that use my i7 to full capacity. an i7 is MORE than enough for skyrim. the whole point of having multiple cores is so you DONT have temperatureproblems. if you have 2 cores running at 2.3gh, that means 2.3 * 2 = 4.6. but if you have 4 cores, running at 1.8 Ghz, that means 4 * 1.8Ghz = 7.2 Ghz.

as for the GPU, any Gfx over the 200 series for nVidia and the 4000 series for ATI will work with this game.
That not the way it works unfortunately, adding cores doesn't necessarily scale evenly even when the code is optimized for multi-core processors. Also you don't seem to understand the difference between cores and clock speeds (a 4ghz single core does not equal a 1ghz quad core), but them most people don't...

The 1.7ghz model i7 is really designed for multi-tasking on laptops (not really game focused) but if Skyrim is sufficiently optimized for a quad core then you shouldn't have any problem, provided your graphics card is up to snuff.