Skyrim PC Requirements Revealed

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Every game requiers a processor much faster than mine... but for some reason my laptop can still run them with flying colors...

Soeroah

Aug 24, 2011
Anyone know how this would cope?

System Model: P55-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3580MB RAM
Page File: 1936MB used, 5221MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display: Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I'm absolutely crap with computers so I don't know if that's the right information or not. It's a desktop, not a laptop, about a year and a half old with no subsequent upgrades.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Didn't Bethesda also mention something about mods being transferable to console versions?
How do we do that, Bethesdie?

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Wow, I think I can actually run it on my laptop. That said, I'd rather give it a miss until I get a desktop. Or maybe get it on console.

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
Hmmmm..... I hope I can run it on ultra:

- i7 870 2.93GHz
- 8 GBs RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Anyone know?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Woot, looking at the recommended specs, should be able to play it on ultra :D

I know that seems a little up my own arse saying, but I've upgraded my PC last year and when I heard Skyrim was coming out, I really wanted to enjoy it 100% (was afraid I rushed with upgrading), so this is kinda awesome news for me :>

Iszfury

Oct 25, 2011
"Reassuring news for anyone out there that doesn't have the finan..." (Misc. pointless blather)(proceeds to point out the performance consoles deliver relative to price) (etc.)

Not trying to enflame the comments section (or am I?), but I genuinely hope that we all play nice and treat this as the news it is, that:
a.) The recommended req's (GTX 260) indicate relatively few compromises graphically for having a console counterpart
b.) The game's going to be badass
c.) It comes out in two weeks!!11!!!

Game is vying to be one of the better looking RPG's this gen, along with the Witcher 2...
Also, note, the minimum requirements generally only establish the minimum hardware to operate the game PLAYABLY. This doesn't mean you're incapable of running it altogether, unless, of course, you have incompatible drivers/DirectX generation/unsupported architectures/etc. Occassionaly, though, you'll have exceptions. I had a laptop from 04' w/ an integrated gpu run Oblivion relatively well on low....still. Be careful when purchasing hardware.

EDIT: For grammatical errors. Bah. Late night tiredness.

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
TheHecatomb said:
DX9, really? Man I'm all for wellwritten engines that go a bit easy on your hardware but this seems a little too gentle. Come on, it's an Elder Scrolls game, it's supposed to bend your pc over and skip the lubricant.
Really? You expect Bethesda to split the pc market or lose that part of their market that don't have cards that run DX10 or DX11? Get real dude.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
danpascooch said:
As someone who wished they knew more about specs than they do, I have a couple of questions.

My video card is a Radeon HD 6570M/5700 series, does that mean it counts as a Radeon 6570? Or a Radeon 5700?

Also, I am using an i7 processor (eight cores) at 1.6GHz

I notice that is under the minimum for Ghz, but I am well over the recommended for number of cores, does my high core count compensate for the low Ghz? And if so, by how much? Obviously there isn't some conversion formula I can plug this shit into, but it would be nice to know where I can consider my processor to fall on the scale.
A 6570M runs about the same as a 4870 in a desktop so you should be fine on that front. Your processor is a bit weak, it would have probably been better to get a 2.4 or something dual core, because most programs are optimized for two cores still. You should be fine, but you might want to turn down the field of depth and other CPU demanding settings.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Welp, I was going to have to upgrade eventually (better than buying everything new...). But I have to ask, are processors complicated to upgrade? I have an Intel core duo E8500 (3.16 GHz) , and an ol' Nividia 8800 GT card. The card I know how to switch out, but I've never upgraded a processor before. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it have to match up with the motherboard? And if so, are they now generally pretty easy to upgrade, like going from a recent enough Intel to a newer model?

I just hope for some sales around Official Pre-Christmas after quickly seeing the price on some of these parts.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Skyrim seems a helluva lot more optimized than Oblivion if it's minimum requirements are around that. Of course, at that I'm assuming it runs like a slightly updated version of Oblivion. I couldn't really tell without actually trying to run it.

Still, I think I'll happily take whatever they've got planned for the 360 and save myself a headache. Also, Bethesda was pretty enthusiastic about at least giving 360 users access to user-created content (if not the ability to make it). That probably means no hot mods or anything, but I'm sure they might allow the "Neighborhood Watch Chicken" bug to be modded back into it.