Skyrim PC Requirements Revealed

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I could probably play it...however thease days I usually go with the safe option asmuch as a gamepad can suck somtimes

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And wow, my laptop actually can run it! Elder Scrolls dont dissapoint once again!

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
rvbnut said:
TheHecatomb said:
DX9, really? Man I'm all for wellwritten engines that go a bit easy on your hardware but this seems a little too gentle. Come on, it's an Elder Scrolls game, it's supposed to bend your pc over and skip the lubricant.
Really? You expect Bethesda to split the pc market or lose that part of their market that don't have cards that run DX10 or DX11? Get real dude.
Or they could do the sensible thing and have them as options. And switching DX modes is hardly breaking new ground for pc games you know, Half life 2 could go between 7 and 9, and pretty much every DX 11 game I've seen nowadays can be played in DX 9.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
good thing I replaced my rig for this game!
FUCK YES I CAN PLAY IT ON HIGH! sadly I still use a shitty VGA monitor (DAMN YOU HIGH MONITOR PRICES!)

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Welp, I was going to have to upgrade eventually (better than buying everything new...). But I have to ask, are processors complicated to upgrade? I have an Intel core duo E8500 (3.16 GHz) , and an ol' Nividia 8800 GT card. The card I know how to switch out, but I've never upgraded a processor before. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it have to match up with the motherboard? And if so, are they now generally pretty easy to upgrade, like going from a recent enough Intel to a newer model?

I just hope for some sales around Official Pre-Christmas after quickly seeing the price on some of these parts.
If I'm not mistaken that Core 2 Duo is LGA775 socket, which means you are limited to other LGA775's for upgrading. So you have the possibility to get a Core 2 Quad or Core 2 Extreme. However, LGA775 is quite outdated as of now, so I'd rather recommend using the one you have if gives you acceptable performance, or getting a new motherboard that supports newer AMD or Intel processors (LGA1156 for example). Or simply waiting for rumored new socket(s) that might be along in 2012.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
*looks glaringly at Radeon HD 4550*
Ooooh yes, you WILL be able to play it ahhahahahaha!!!
Yay! Now I get to use the developer console!
...but 6 gigs HDD space....? Little small don't you think? Oh well, I CAN USE THE COMMAND CONSOLE!!!!!!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Vicarious Reality said:
Well shit, so i need to buy a duel core CPU now?
I would say go for a quad core. Pretty soon it will be the norm.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
Hmm, I've got a 512MB Nvidia 8600. There might be hope that I can get this without a costly upgrade after all.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
rvbnut said:
Really? You expect Bethesda to split the pc market or lose that part of their market that don't have cards that run DX10 or DX11? Get real dude.
Nice attitude, I take it you have something against progress? Did you write similar complaints when Sony released the PS3 or Microsoft the 360? Hardware changes, DX9 is outdated. Deal with it.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Well aslong as the new engine is optimised nicely, I will be enjoying myself some Ultra. Having almost double the rec specs on most aspects is a beautiful thing.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
ouch, I´m stuck with a old single core and no money to replace (would need a whole motherboard, plus a new copy of Windows 7), well as long as it´s realitive lag free I dont need fancy pancy graphics X3 X3

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Ironwampa said:
Andy Chalk said:
Skyrim PC Requirements Revealed

The system requirements for the PC version of Skyrim turn out to be surprisingly gentle.

For being part of a franchise famous for beating the crap out of otherwise respectable gaming hardware,
Since when was Bethesda known for making games with high system requirements?
...since always? The first game, Arena, was pretty much the Crysis of its day, Daggerfall looked fairly good but had engine problems, Morrowind needed a beefy machine just to run and if you wanted that fancy pixel-shaded water you had to have a top-of-the-line graphics card, and Oblivion looked good but was horrendously optimised.

Anyway, I guess low sys reqs are one benefit of an extended console generation.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Ha. It will just run on my laptop. Seems a waste the desktop PC I built, since I basically built it for Skyrim. Oh well.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
6gb on hdd? thats a bit..... iffy....
oh well, nothing mods cant fix! i mean nowadays you can make morrowind look better than oblivion, so what the hell - it cant be bad for us, glorious pc gamers.

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
TheHecatomb said:
rvbnut said:
Nice attitude, I take it you have something against progress? Did you write similar complaints when Sony released the PS3 or Microsoft the 360? Hardware changes, DX9 is outdated. Deal with it.
I see your point and raise you a "It's bethesda. Deal with it".