Skyrim: ProTips

Kyle1527

Jun 3, 2010
1: Don't buy the house in Solitude. The house in Windhelm is twice as cheap and much better, with more mannequins and weapon stands if fully upgraded and IMO its much more homely. It also has a nice quest related to it.

2: Fastest way to get good armour: Fast travel on a cart to riften, then travel south west to Lagrabshur, accept the daedric quest - doesn't matter if you do it or not and then steal the armour on the makeshift shrine - full set of Orcish armor at level 1.

3: If you want to offload a lot of stuff, finish all the side jobs for the thieves guild in Riften, after this the fence Tonilia will have 4K gold to trade with. The easiest way to do these side jobs is take a numbers job from Delvin and a regular steal job from Vex. Do 5 in each city(Windhelm, Solitude, Whiterun and Markarth) and then do a special quest for each city. You must do at least one job from Vex and Delvin in each city. Once they are all done, you will also get 4 extra traders in the Ragged Flagon.

4: If your running low on lock picks, Tonilia sells about 40 of them, which restocks every 48hrs. This way you don't have to put ANY points into lockpicking.

5: Money Tips; Loot every corpse and chest you come across, hoard scrolls and potions and sell them if you don't intend on using them. Also, visit Falkreatj and ask the Blacksmith about his dog and then walk out of the town, you will start the quest "A Daedras Best Friend" - finish the quest and save Barbas to be awarded the Masque of Claucius Vile - which give you 20% better prices.

6: Train in restoration; really, you have NO idea how usefull this skill is. For one, you don't use health or stamina potions, which you can sell to make more money and it's invaluable when you have no potions to use.

7: For easy smithing, go to all the blacksmiths you know and buy all the iron ingots/iron ore and leather strips you can buy and then go to Whiterun, use the smelter to make the iron ores into ingots. Then, craft as many iron daggers as possible and rinse and repeat until you have attained your desired smithing skill.

8: For easy enchanting, enchant these daggers with your best enchantment (one that's worth the most) and sell them to the various blacksmiths around the world...or Tonilia from the thieves guild.

9: Save often and use more than one save slot, just incase a quest bugs or the world explodes or something. Sounds obvious, but you have no idea how often I have bullrushed through a dungeon only to have a companion die on me -_-.

10: Try enchant your boots/shield with elemental resistance, my Nord has 100% frost resistance - which is quite nice. Also, you can have two enchantments on one item with the Extra Effect perk, which can be unlocked if you have 100 enchanting.

11: GET A F*CKING COMPANION; when your a low level, don't ***** about not being able to kill the Frost Troll on the way up The Throat of The World...get your companion to charge in and aggro them, then hit them from behind as your companions takes the beating.

That's about it.

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
Thanks on the tip with Tonalia getting about 4k gold on her to trade. I'm hoarding too much loot.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kyle1527 said:
9: Save often; Sounds obvious, but you have no idea how often I have bullrushed through a dungeon only to have a companion die on me -_-.
I'd add "Save in different save slots" in case a quest bugs out on you or something and you need to reload from before you started said quest or something. Or simply to help prevent save corruption. I generally have 10+ save slots alongside auto-save and quicksave, and even then that's sometimes not enough.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
1. Agreed about the house in Solitude. It's arguably the fanciest looking, but both Windhelm and Markarth give significantly better "bang for the buck".

2. At least on the PC, Lockpicking is an utterly worthless skill. Picks cost little and weigh nothing, and while you'll break a lot getting into Master chests, you'll seldom use more than 1-3 on anything up to Expert.

3. The trade skills, particularly Smithing and Enchanting, will very quickly destroy the game's balance and trivialize the content. I highly, highly recommend NOT using them, or using them in extreme moderation, for this reason.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Disagree about Hjerim, a few reasons, it's buggy as hell and it's in Windhelm. Also Proudspire has natural light, that feels far more homely to me.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
When a vampire/if planning to become a vampire.

1 - If you need to feed or are a Level 4 vampire and cannot break into someone's house go to the Temple in Whiterun and feed on the injured NPC's at both night and daytime.

2 - Learn Alchemy you will need the Stamina and Health potions, trust me.

3 - You are now vulnerable to flame attacks remember this when fighting the low level dragons they flame attacks will waste you depending on your vampirism level. (I personally try to stay at level 2 Vampirism)

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Kyle1527 said:
1: Don't buy the house in Solitude. The house in Windhelm is twice as cheap and much better, with more mannequins and weapon stands if fully upgraded and IMO its much more homely. It also has a nice quest related to it.

2: Fastest way to get good armour: Fast travel on a cart to riften, then travel south west to Lagrabshur, accept the daedric quest - doesn't matter if you do it or not and then steal the armour on the makeshift shrine - full set of Orcish armor at level 1.

3: If you want to offload a lot of stuff, finish all the side jobs for the thieves guild in Riften, after this the fence Tonilia will have 4K gold to trade with. The easiest way to do these side jobs is take a numbers job from Delvin and a regular steal job from Vex. Do 5 in each city(Windhelm, Solitude, Whiterun and Markarth) and then do a special quest for each city. You must do at least one job from Vex and Delvin in each city. Once they are all done, you will also get 4 extra traders in the Ragged Flagon.

4: If your running low on lock picks, Tonilia sells about 40 of them, which restocks every 48hrs. This way you don't have to put ANY points into lockpicking.

5: Money Tips; Loot every corpse and chest you come across, hoard scrolls and potions and sell them if you don't intend on using them. Also, visit Falkreatj and ask the Blacksmith about his dog and then walk out of the town, you will start the quest "A Daedras Best Friend" - finish the quest and save Barbas to be awarded the Masque of Claucius Vile - which give you 20% better prices.

6: Train in restoration; really, you have NO idea how usefull this skill is. For one, you don't use health or stamina potions, which you can sell to make more money and it's invaluable when you have no potions to use.

7: For easy smithing, go to all the blacksmiths you know and buy all the iron ingots/iron ore and leather strips you can buy and then go to Whiterun, use the smelter to make the iron ores into ingots. Then, craft as many iron daggers as possible and rinse and repeat until you have attained your desired smithing skill.

8: For easy enchanting, enchant these daggers with your best enchantment (one that's worth the most) and sell them to the various blacksmiths around the world...or Tonilia from the thieves guild.

9: Save often and use more than one save slot, just incase a quest bugs or the world explodes or something. Sounds obvious, but you have no idea how often I have bullrushed through a dungeon only to have a companion die on me -_-.

10: Try enchant your boots/shield with elemental resistance, my Nord has 100% frost resistance - which is quite nice. Also, you can have two enchantments on one item with the Extra Effect perk, which can be unlocked if you have 100 enchanting.

11: GET A F*CKING COMPANION; when your a low level, don't ***** about not being able to kill the Frost Troll on the way up The Throat of The World...get your companion to charge in and aggro them, then hit them from behind as your companions takes the beating.

That's about it.
What a samaritan! Thank you, these tips are great, I could probably look this up, but do you know where you get a cart from? I already have a horse, can I use that with a cart?

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
i'm doing that quest for the college where i have to find the staff of magnus. i walked past 6 ghosts and now i'm trapped in a dungeon full of skeletons and big ass skeleton DRAGON. level 17, brenton, bad choice for a race, i can conjure a flame antoranch, familiar (wolf), probably the undead, storm antoronch, call of valor, and that's about it. other than this, this is all the help i have available and this dragon is PISSING ME OFF, what should i do?

EDIT: nevermind, i cheated by hiding behind the gate, which for some reason blocks all attacks. then i shot the skeletons with arrows, kills most in 1 hit, conjured flame antorachs and call of valor on the other side so the could break shit, then i finished off the dragon with flames b/c apparently, undead things that shoot ice hate living things that shoot fire.

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
You can get total magic immunity and 1000ish armour with the right combination of smithing, enchanting, and alchemy. I am a walking fortress of pain.

Oh, and free cast on any one type of spell. Two if you sacrifice some magic defense.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Uhm, Don't put points in Illusion if you're making a sneaky character. The entire Sneak tree will make Illusion pretty much useless ... fucking waste of 4 perks.

thousandthson

Mar 27, 2011
1. Giants are bad, very bad.
2. winterhold college is fun. (If your a mage)
3. Dicking around is fun
4. Two handed weapons are unwieldy at best
5. Magic is amazing
6. Go for destruction if your going to duel wield spells otherwise you will have to either buy a one handed weapon or die, a lot.
7. Use dragon attacks to your advantage whenever you can especially when your fighting a troll or giant.
8. Don't get cocky

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
A tip for Conjuration users: Reanimating bodies and using bound weapons levels up the skill WAY faster than summoning daedra. Just throwing that out there in case you find that it's leveling up slow. Alteration is the same way; for some reason the spells that add to your armor rating (such as oakflesh) level it up way faster than the others. Also there are a few items that are leveled in this game and they're all related to the Thieves Guild. Unlike Oblivion, these leveled items don't cap out at 20, 25, or 30. I believe they cap out at 50.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Get the black star(a reuseable black soul gem)not Azuras normal star. They say in game you can't capture animal souls with the black star but that's not true.

You have that and you will never have to fight with an uncharged magic weapon again!

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Something I do:

Hoard any and all ingrdients you find along your travels. Flowers, bug etc etc. They weight very little and with good Alchemy you can make some pretty expensive potions which you can sell for a lot of money.

Good ingredients to use are the ones for "Damage Magica Regen". THey usually make potions worth over 200 each.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Become Ethereal is one of the most useful shouts if you're a melee character, especially if you don't have dragonrend yet. It also makes jumping off cliffs really fun.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
For training your smithing don't bother with the daggers, make hide bracers. Takes 1 leather and 2 straps, you get the exact same experience with anything you make so this ends up being the cheapest. You can still take those to train your enchanting as well.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
1. Enchanting, Alchemy and Blacksmithing are completely imbalanced and broken overpowered.

You can loop the percentages of extra effects, resulting in weapons that do thousands of damage per hit.
(Like: Take Enchanting potion -> enchant better Alchemy on something -> brew better Enchanting potion -> Rinse and repeat -> you get the idea.)
elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Enchanting_(Skyrim)#Exploit_For_Extremely_Powerful_Weapons_And_Armor

2. If you're going to play on Master difficulty, avoid leveling up too quickly early. You leveling up means enemies become stronger. Which can be really bad.

3. The only real threat you will ever face are enemy magicians. I played on Master difficulty and every magic boss could onehit me. I needed 60% lightning damage reduction to survive one spell. Best way to avoid dying there is to exploit the bad AI, your companions and line of sight.

4. If you are using the computer, you can use the console in case quests are bugging/get stuck or something like that.