Skyrim: ProTips

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
My Protips:

1. Play the way you want.

I'm playing a pure hunter-type character. I've used magic once: to gain entry into the Mage's College so I could question someone there for a quest I was on. I eschew factions that don't fit my character (Dark Brotherhood), knowing I can always make a different character who it will make sense for them to join.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Kyle1527 said:
7: For easy smithing, go to all the blacksmiths you know and buy all the iron ingots/iron ore and leather strips you can buy and then go to Whiterun, use the smelter to make the iron ores into ingots. Then, craft as many iron daggers as possible and rinse and repeat until you have attained your desired smithing skill.

8: For easy enchanting, enchant these daggers with your best enchantment (one that's worth the most) and sell them to the various blacksmiths around the world...or Tonilia from the thieves guild.
Good tips but you should add that this is a fantastic way to make money especially when you get an absorb health or, better yet, banish enchantment for those daggers. Each one will go for a few hundred gold easily at a cost of about 50 per. Plus I'd say just pick whichever city you like best for a house, you can go to an enchanter or alchemist for the tables and stuff so just pick the nicest one.

Also don't be scared to spend time in jail. Your skill levels aren't reduced, they just lose what progress they have to the next level so especially at low levels it really doesn't matter.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Protip: go straight Archery with Sneak and Restoration. Congratulations, you can now beat everything.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
The only tip you REALLY need is: Stay the hell away from the giants.

Everything is nice, but not essential.

Oh, and liches/dragon priests. If you see a locked sarcophagus, you might want to just run, no amount of loot/dragon shouts are worth dealing with those bastards.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Kyle1527 said:
1: Don't buy the house in Solitude. The house in Windhelm is twice as cheap and much better, with more mannequins and weapon stands if fully upgraded and IMO its much more homely. It also has a nice quest related to it.

7: For easy smithing, go to all the blacksmiths you know and buy all the iron ingots/iron ore and leather strips you can buy and then go to Whiterun, use the smelter to make the iron ores into ingots. Then, craft as many iron daggers as possible and rinse and repeat until you have attained your desired smithing skill.

8: For easy enchanting, enchant these daggers with your best enchantment (one that's worth the most) and sell them to the various blacksmiths around the world...or Tonilia from the thieves guild.

11: GET A F*CKING COMPANION; when your a low level, don't ***** about not being able to kill the Frost Troll on the way up The Throat of The World...get your companion to charge in and aggro them, then hit them from behind as your companions takes the beating.

That's about it.
1) That's actually really nice. I've been chillin' in my Whiterun house, and it turns out there's a lot more to house.
7) If you don't mind carrying around a TON of pelts and furs, I find that making leather bracers from all the animals you find and kill throughout the game is a lot more effective. You also don't have pay for your materials.
11) How do you keep them from dying?
8) And how do you get all the soul gems for that?

OT:
Anytimes on how to easily raise Speechcraft/barter? Do they still give you points for each transaction, like they did in Oblivion?

EDIT:
My own tip: The fully upgraded Unrelenting Force is crazy strong. Use it to punt things off cliffs as often as possible.
I've cleared over 100 yards with a spider. I launched a bear over a hill, off a cliff, and nailed a pack of wolves. I launched a briar heart off a gaint cliff just because I got tired of dealling with god damn Briar hearts, and there were Hagravens shooting at me.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Kalezian said:
mega48man said:
i'm doing that quest for the college where i have to find the staff of magnus. i walked past 6 ghosts and now i'm trapped in a dungeon full of skeletons and big ass skeleton DRAGON. level 17, brenton, bad choice for a race, i can conjure a flame antoranch, familiar (wolf), probably the undead, storm antoronch, call of valor, and that's about it. other than this, this is all the help i have available and this dragon is PISSING ME OFF, what should i do?

Smash it with a hammer!

err, wait, your a mage-ish person....

I did that quest at level 10 or 14, I had already perked pretty high in Destruction-Fire, and as such already had Firebolt [my damage- 75pts. in 15ft], my magicka was pretty high also, and all I did was spam the hell out of Fire Rune and Firebolt.

I would say grab a companion like Lydia to get some aggro, then use your flame Antornoch as your damage.

you should grab some decent destruction spells also, like lightning bolt or some various kinds of lighting magic, because trust me, for that quest, you will need it
Is it wrong that i used my level 25 Nord Sword/Shield Warrior to do this quest? I don't think i was supposed to...

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
Kyle1527 said:
1: Don't buy the house in Solitude. The house in Windhelm is twice as cheap and much better, with more mannequins and weapon stands if fully upgraded and IMO its much more homely. It also has a nice quest related to it.

11: GET A F*CKING COMPANION; when your a low level, don't ***** about not being able to kill the Frost Troll on the way up The Throat of The World...get your companion to charge in and aggro them, then hit them from behind as your companions takes the beating.

That's about it.
1) That's actually really nice. I've been chillin' in my Whiterun house, and it turns out there's a lot more to house.
7) If you don't mind carrying around a TON of pelts and furs, I find that making leather bracers from all the animals you find and kill throughout the game is a lot more effective. You also don't have pay for your materials.
11) How do you keep them from dying?
8) And how do you get all the soul gems for that?

OT:
Anytimes on how to easily raise Speechcraft/barter? Do they still give you points for each transaction, like they did in Oblivion?
There's an exploit for speechcraft, somewhere in Riften. I don't remember where exactly, but if you look it up, you'll probably find it. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to spend days buying and selling the cheapest thing your friendly neighbourhood merchant has to offer.

As for the soul gems, every dwarven machine robot thing has one, so dungeon diving in dwemer ruins is the cheapest/easiest way to go.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
In Riften go to the Black Briar Meadery, talk to the dude behind the counter. He has a repeatable persuade check. Can very quickly raise it that way.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
Kalezian said:
mega48man said:
i'm doing that quest for the college where i have to find the staff of magnus. i walked past 6 ghosts and now i'm trapped in a dungeon full of skeletons and big ass skeleton DRAGON. level 17, brenton, bad choice for a race, i can conjure a flame antoranch, familiar (wolf), probably the undead, storm antoronch, call of valor, and that's about it. other than this, this is all the help i have available and this dragon is PISSING ME OFF, what should i do?

Smash it with a hammer!

I did that quest at level 10 or 14, I had already perked pretty high in Destruction-Fire, and as such already had Firebolt [my damage- 75pts. in 15ft], my magicka was pretty high also, and all I did was spam the hell out of Fire Rune and Firebolt.

I would say grab a companion like Lydia to get some aggro, then use your flame Antornoch as your damage.

you should grab some decent destruction spells also, like lightning bolt or some various kinds of lighting magic, because trust me, for that quest, you will need it
i got past that part (easier than i thought) but thank you! where do i go to get the lightning bolt destruction spell? i've found frostbite just a while ago, doesn't work well with fire apparently :\ too cheap to make it into a water spell, eh bethesda?

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Best of the 3 said:
Something I do:

Hoard any and all ingrdients you find along your travels. Flowers, bug etc etc. They weight very little and with good Alchemy you can make some pretty expensive potions which you can sell for a lot of money.

Good ingredients to use are the ones for "Damage Magica Regen". THey usually make potions worth over 200 each.
Garlic and Salt Piles. These are my bread and butter.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
Kalezian said:
mega48man said:
Kalezian said:
mega48man said:

Smash it with a hammer!

i got past that part (easier than i thought) but thank you! where do i go to get the lightning bolt destruction spell? i've found frostbite just a while ago, doesn't work well with fire apparently :\ too cheap to make it into a water spell, eh bethesda?

you are in luck, the Mages College has two people that specialize in destruction spells, at least my playthrough did.

Enthir sells some various spells, I found him on the second floor of the rooming area.

then there is Faralda who is also the Master Destruction Trainer, who not only should have almost every destruction spell for sale, but also has a quest that gives you Fire Storm/Lightning Storm/Blizzard. Sadly due to their cast times, Expert spells do more damage than the master ones, but damn if they aren't hilarious to use.

Also, Frost is great to use against Melee NPC's, stops them from using power attacks as often, Lighting is of course useful against mages, and Fire is more useful for mages that use a melee weapon in addition to spells.

Fire is supposed to increase damage taken to the person on fire, but Im not sure if it doubles for magic based attacks.
thanks a ton! i now know what i must do, after i get staff of magnus of course.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Kyle1527 said:
I just bought this last night.

You you you stormcloak

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
If you're starting out with a sneaky archer/daggers style character, you can pretty much nullify your shitty early game by outright stealing an elven dagger and orcish bow from Delphine in the Riverwood tavern.

From there, when you get to Whiterun and providing you have a half decent number of lockpicks, you can swap out that orcish bow for an elven one by picking the lock of a display case in the lower level of the Companion's guild.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
If you have high enough speech to invest in businesses the general goods guy in riverwood has 10k to trade with after you invest in his shop.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Bound bow, 100 free arrows per 2 min and it is as powerful as an un-upgraded deadra bow.
Plus you can get it at any level. (Found as loot, 50 conjuration)

Bagk Nakh

May 18, 2011
Since we're grinding Smithing up in here, if you want easy/cheap ebony ingots early on go to Gloombound Mine (next to an Orc tribe southeast of Windhelm). It's an enemy free mine with about 50-54 pieces of ebony ore and a smelter right outside (a pickaxe is required, but you can buy one from the smith in Windhelm or steal one from the mine).

Bagk Nakh

May 18, 2011
Kyle1527 said:
2: Fastest way to get good armour: Fast travel on a cart to riften, then travel south west to Lagrabshur, accept the daedric quest - doesn't matter if you do it or not and then steal the armour on the makeshift shrine - full set of Orcish armor at level 1.
You got to Whiterun and were still Lvl. 1?