Skyrim: ProTips

Niko Stepz

Dec 17, 2009
When you sell anything to a merchant if you sell groups of items (6 things or more in one transaction) it will only count as 1 point towards your speech skill. To maximize speech training while buying/selling always buy things 1 at a time.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Enter a drinking contest with a guy in an inn called Sam as soon as you can. The reward for the quest will really help you out in a hard fight.

Bagk Nakh

May 18, 2011
Niko Stepz said:
When you sell anything to a merchant if you sell groups of items (6 things or more in one transaction) it will only count as 1 point towards your speech skill. To maximize speech training while buying/selling always buy things 1 at a time.
Speech also raises based on the value of an item. Again why enchanting can be quite useful for raising speech.

Niko Stepz

Dec 17, 2009
Eighth 1 said:
Speech also raises based on the value of an item. Again why enchanting can be quite useful for raising speech.
Now that I didn't know ! I'll have to start enchanting more !

Kyle1527

Jun 3, 2010
Also, get enchanting to 100 and get two 50% elemental resistance enchantments on yor boots and shield, which means you can be immune to 2 elements!!!

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Go to the shrine of Talos in marketh and activate it and it will give you an option of unlocking things for you so you dont need to use lockpicks on every locked container or door just the highest leveled lock.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Eighth 1 said:
Kyle1527 said:
2: Fastest way to get good armour: Fast travel on a cart to riften, then travel south west to Lagrabshur, accept the daedric quest - doesn't matter if you do it or not and then steal the armour on the makeshift shrine - full set of Orcish armor at level 1.
You got to Whiterun and were still Lvl. 1?
That's the first place I went to after leaving Riverwood (I did do one quest in Riverwood, so I leveled up a little bit there). I imagine the same is true for many people, especially if they followed the Imperial fellow in the beginning.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
triggrhappy94 said:
8) And how do you get all the soul gems for that?
How the hell do you not get soul gems? I literally have 15 of those giant baskets in Proudspire manor filled up with soul gems. Common, Pretty, Grand, Black you name it. I be trippin gems.

OT: To easily deal with melee focused enemies, climb onto a knee high ledge. They're like small fortresses that let you pick away at even Deathlords without any trouble at all.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Ryan Kerr said:
Enter a drinking contest with a guy in an inn called Sam as soon as you can. The reward for the quest will really help you out in a hard fight.
Except the Dremora summoned by the reward has a nasty habit of turning on you.

photographerleia

Nov 9, 2011
Eighth 1 said:
Since we're grinding Smithing up in here, if you want easy/cheap ebony ingots early on go to Gloombound Mine (next to an Orc tribe southeast of Windhelm). It's an enemy free mine with about 50-54 pieces of ebony ore and a smelter right outside (a pickaxe is required, but you can buy one from the smith in Windhelm or steal one from the mine).
This actually raises a question. Will mines "re-spawn" the raw materials after a while so that you can go back and mine there again?

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
photographerleia said:
Eighth 1 said:
Since we're grinding Smithing up in here, if you want easy/cheap ebony ingots early on go to Gloombound Mine (next to an Orc tribe southeast of Windhelm). It's an enemy free mine with about 50-54 pieces of ebony ore and a smelter right outside (a pickaxe is required, but you can buy one from the smith in Windhelm or steal one from the mine).
This actually raises a question. Will mines "re-spawn" the raw materials after a while so that you can go back and mine there again?
I have a feeling they dont respawn, and if they do its very slowly and not on the 48 hour schedule for shops much less 2 weeks.

DustyDrB said:
Eighth 1 said:
Kyle1527 said:
2: Fastest way to get good armour: Fast travel on a cart to riften, then travel south west to Lagrabshur, accept the daedric quest - doesn't matter if you do it or not and then steal the armour on the makeshift shrine - full set of Orcish armor at level 1.
You got to Whiterun and were still Lvl. 1?
That's the first place I went to after leaving Riverwood (I did do one quest in Riverwood, so I leveled up a little bit there). I imagine the same is true for many people, especially if they followed the Imperial fellow in the beginning.
Thane of Whiterun at level 4.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Does anyone else think it's kind of weird that so many people approach these games with the same mindset you typically find in MMOs?

I mean it's a single-player game. When you abuse specific mechanics or developer oversights in order to shortcut your way to some perceived or very real advantage, it seems like the only person you're getting a leg up on is yourself.

The "don't fuck with giants" tip is a good one, but even that will rob a new player of a very important (and hilarious) lesson.

The best way to experience these games is to know nothing going in and everything coming out.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Raj has one!

Pro Tip: Never do moon sugar and skooma in one night. Will end up married to angry nord who not let you sleep in own bed.

Also, enchanting good for bringing gold! Jeweled amulet worth 320? Triple that with sneak enchantment. Mjoll cannot say Raj do nothing smart. He make money when he tries. He not try often, but it counts when he does.

And never underestimate speechcraft! Very useful. Save Raj much stabbing.

That is, Raj getting stabbed, not him doing stabbing. Honest.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
1. Mines (ore nodes) and dungeons (including all items not in containers) will respawn every in-game month.
2. Grab the Transmute spellbook from the Halted Stream Camp north of Whiterun for easy alteration leveling. It also lets you turn all iron ores (around 45 in that dungeon) into gold.
3. In a small pond north of Whiterun is a skeletal arm holding a sword. What kind of sword it is depends on your karma. Steel for the good characters, Orcish for the bad.

targren

May 13, 2009
Probably obvious, but came in handy: When you level up during a dungeon crawl, don't necessarily use it right away. I know, you really, really want that new perk, but when you're getting creamed by the dragonpriest at the end, you'll be glad you have the free instant refill for all three bars.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Acrisius said:
Amnestic said:
Kyle1527 said:
9: Save often; Sounds obvious, but you have no idea how often I have bullrushed through a dungeon only to have a companion die on me -_-.
I'd add "Save in different save slots" in case a quest bugs out on you or something and you need to reload from before you started said quest or something. Or simply to help prevent save corruption. I generally have 10+ save slots alongside auto-save and quicksave, and even then that's sometimes not enough.
I might have taken that to the extreme, as I have now above 230 saves...
It's better than losing your progress. I had to repeat the entirety of Ysgramor's Tomb last night when I didn't save once there.

Mar 9, 2010
[li]Werewolves have an awesome sprint power attack that'll knock your enemies down and take off a load of their health. Perfect for taking out giants and other high health enemies.[/li]
[li]If you're going to become a thief then I suggest you also join the Dark Brotherhood. They give you boots and clothing that are great for sneaking around, the boots make you pretty much silent.[/li]

[li]If you use Beast Form a lot then I suggest you complete Ill met by moonlight and don't do as Hircine says, leaving Sinding alive. You'll finish with the Ring of Hircine that gives you a power by the same name that lets you transform into a Werewolf.[/li]

[li]There's an Orc fort South East from Windhelm and East of Kynesgrove that houses a mine. This mine, Gloombound Mine, houses ebony and iron ore stacked to the rafters. I left with enough ebony ore to make a full set of ebony armour and upgrade it, about 48 ebony ore in total. The best part is that it regenerates after a while.[/li]

Rhaff

Jan 30, 2011
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
[li]Werewolves have an awesome sprint power attack that'll knock your enemies down and take off a load of their health. Perfect for taking out giants and other high health enemies.[/li]
[li]If you're going to become a thief then I suggest you also join the Dark Brotherhood. They give you boots and clothing that are great for sneaking around, the boots make you pretty much silent.[/li]

[li]If you use Beast Form a lot then I suggest you complete Ill met by moonlight and don't do as Hircine says, leaving Sinding alive. You'll finish with the Ring of Hircine that gives you a power by the same name that lets you transform into a Werewolf.[/li]

[li]There's an Orc fort South East from Windhelm and East of Kynesgrove that houses a mine. This mine, Gloombound Mine, houses ebony and iron ore stacked to the rafters. I left with enough ebony ore to make a full set of ebony armour and upgrade it, about 48 ebony ore in total. The best part is that it regenerates after a while.[/li]
Or when doing Ill met by moonlight, side with sinding, giving you the ring, and then kill him, hircine will then give you saviors hide when you exit the cave. Also if you want Bolars Oathblade, you will have to explore said cave before starting the quest, since the quest transforms the cave.

photographerleia said:
Eighth 1 said:
Another easy way to get ebony and gold ingots, is at mehrunes dagons shrine. Even though you dont get that many, it respawns ever 3 ingame days or so, and you get 4 daedra hearts plus some other loot each run.