Skyrim puts Dragon Age to shame

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
RagTagBand said:
Oh look, it's this thread again x2

1 x "Herp derp, I hayte Dragun Age 2!"

1 x "Herf, Skyrim is da bestest game evar"

Nobody gives a shit, least of all Bioware or Bethesda, about your fanboy rhetoric. I mean, what exactly was your purpose in posting this thread other than to garner a few pages of "OH YEAH MAN I TOTUALLY AGREE!!1! SKYRIM IZ BETTER DAN DRAGON AGE 2"? Two worlds 2 released this year as well, as did The Witcher 2, How about picking a comparison that isn't so blatantly one sided and chosen for nothing more than easy fanboy points?

Better yet, choose a topic that has even the smallest amount of discussion value, that isn't just nerd-dick waving about which Medieval Fantasy based RPG you like pretending you're part of the most.
Pretty much my thoughts, I will consider myself ninja'd

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
DA2 put itself to shame, there is no competition needed.
You know when someone tells a really bad joke and noone laughs, and everything stays quiet till they leave the room, that was DA2.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
Crono1973 said:
Take a look at this thread, Bloated Guppy.
Well, let me clarify. I'm sure there are lots of "RPG fans" who enjoy both games, but I'm certain it's not a 100% overlap. I like both, but I know plenty of people who like one but not the other. Witness the endless threads we've had crucifying Bethesda RPGS for their sub-standard narrative structure, or Bioware RPGs for their linearity.

They're both RPGs, but they're very different RPGs.

Brian Hendershot said:
I like BOTH games but I realize they are both DIFFERENT types of playing. You could compare Skyrim to Two Worlds or Dragon Age to Sacred Angels but not Dragon Age to Skyrim.
That's silly though. You can still compare them. It's not like someone's comparing "The Incredible Machine" to "Doom". There are plenty of areas of overlap. You just can't do a 1:1 comparison down the line because they have different areas of focus.
You don't have to LIKE both, you just have to have an interest in both. Since they are both in the same genre and both have a similar setting, you can see how most (nothing is 100%, ever) people who like one will have an interest in the other. This is why they are comparable. I, for example, didn't like DA2 at all. I thought that DAO was alright but think that both TES games this gen are better than the DA series. I took enough of an interest to play them all though.

If you want a story, play a Bioware game. If you want open world roaming, play and Elder Scrolls game. Both though, appeal to WRPG fans. It's like saying "I want a burger" and then comparing the Big Mac to the Double Quarter Pounder and choosing one over the other.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Crono1973 said:
When you can't even compare WRPG's to one another without a bunch of people saying they aren't comparable, it's getting ridiculous.
That's exactly the thing,they are each unique games even if the same genre. That's the beauty of WRPGs.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Cenequus said:
Crono1973 said:
When you can't even compare WRPG's to one another without a bunch of people saying they aren't comparable, it's getting ridiculous.
That's exactly the thing,they are each unique games even if the same genre. That's the beauty of WRPGs.
With the same fanbase. Which one you play depends on your mood but sooner or later most WPRG's fans are going to try both. They absolutely are comparable.

The more I think about it, the more Bioware games seem like JRPG's. Story driven, party based, linear role playing games. Just thinking outloud.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Dragon age: Origins is far better game than Skyrim.

Average quest in Skyrim kill punch of people in a cave or ruin to get to mcguffin and repeat till bored with different McGuffins. At least some quests in Origins had some more thought in them.

Though I agree that dragon age 2 was worse, then again Dragon age 2 was kinda crappy game anyway.

To be fair Skyrim isn't bad game in my opinion though, but it is not very good rpg. Too much fighting and too little roleplaying or interesting npc characters. I think I remember 1 npc by name, and that's just because she hangs with me while I am butchering bandits or undeads.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Crono1973 said:
With the same fanbase. Which one you play depends on your mood but sooner or later most WPRG's fans are going to try both. They absolutely are comparable.

The more I think about it, the more Bioware games seem like JRPG's. Story driven, party based, linear role playing games. Just thinking outloud.
So the point you're making is that it's fair to compare both of these games because they have the same fans? I dunno, I can't really agree with that. It seems arbitrary especially since I know quite a bit of people who loved Dragon Age: Origins and utterly dislike every single thing Bethesda puts out. Same fanbase or not, they really are very different games in many ways. I just don't see this the same way you do.

OT: DA2 was pretty disappointing on it's own. I personally wouldn't compare anything to it.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
They're not even close to competing. Their only similarity is they're fantasy games but by your logic Skyrim is competing with every single game that had a whiff of an elfs fart on it in the last year. Listen, Skyrim is more likely affected by CoD:MW3 then how well Dragon Age2 sold. This thread is just fishing for conflict that isn't there.

And Dragon Age 2 was in my personal opinion was a stronger game compared to its predecessor.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
Radeonx said:
Well, Dragon Age 2 was completely and utterly rushed by EA, where Bethesda had more than 7-10 months to make a game.
Dragon Age: Origins blows Skyrim out of the water, but 2 isn't as good as Skyrim.
This.

However, I find it almost insulting to compare the two franchises. Just because they are fantasy games with dragons doesn't make them alike.

Dragon Age Origins, and to a lesser extent it's sequel, which I will be the FIRST to say was a disappointment, had succinct story lines to follow. It wasn't as open world as The Elder Scrolls series, and I'm FINE with that. My boyfriend and I started Skyrim at about the same time, playing in the same room on two different computers, and we're at two entirely different places in the game and really can't help each other figure things out. (It doesn't help that he plays as a dick who kills everyone he can and wonders why the guards are always killing him from a distance with arrows) I prefer the playable novel feel of Origins. I don't like going "why am I in this town, what was I doing?" constantly like I do in Elder Scrolls. I was never able to immerse in Oblivion. I was totally lost in Origins. Da 2 was much less immersive, and I'm having a better time in Skyrim than Oblivion.

Comparing the Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age franchises seems like comparing apples to oranges. However, I prefer apples, with their edible skins, and I prefer Dragon Age, it's shitty sequel not-withstanding.

Zeriu

Jun 9, 2011
Radeonx said:
Well, Dragon Age 2 was completely and utterly rushed by EA, where Bethesda had more than 7-10 months to make a game.
Dragon Age: Origins blows Skyrim out of the water, but 2 isn't as good as Skyrim.
The 2 franchises are so different it's utterly pointless to compare them. One thing is for certain though: DA2 sucks. Also, I like Skyrim more.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Nope. Dragon Age 2 was a massively flawed game that should never have been released in the state it was in, and I still had more fun with it than Skyrim.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
As the last four pages have said, this thread is completely pointless, but whatever...

Dragon Age (this applies to both games):
Somewhat linear
Good lore
Party-based, third person tactical combat
Dull combat
Good aesthetics
Decent Character Creator
Generic plot with some twists. You could actually affect the plot a bit.
Characters had characterization that couldn't be summed up in one sentence
Bland level-up system
Traditional equipment system
Good boss fights
Dragons were rare, but tough to kill

Skyrim:
Open world
Good lore
First person real-time combat
Combat was fun
Good graphics
Exhaustive Character Creator
Generic "kill an encient evil. Save the world." plot
Forgettable characters
Immersive level-up system
Traditional equipment system
Can't think of a boss fight besides Alduin and I killed him in 3 minutes
Infinite dragons, relatively easy to kill

As it stands Skyrim wins mechanics and world, but Dragon Age wins characters and plot. Combat is too different to be comparable and lore is a tie.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
I wasn't aware they were competing with each other.
/thread in only 1 post... hunh... well, time for us to move on then I suppose... Kind of feels like a waste though, I mean the OP even went through the trouble of getting a picture... :(

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Crono1973 said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Crono1973 said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Two different games...two different genres...two different sets of fanboys...WHO WILL WINNN????

Seriously. The only thing these games seem to have in common with me is that there are dragons...and...the studio that made them starts with a B.

You are comparing apples to bananas man. They are both fruits...completely different fruits that give you different vitamins.

Anyhow, I enjoyed both Dragon Ages and what little bit of Skyrim I have gotten to play, I have enjoyed! I think it's pretty unfair to compare them.
Yes, different genres. One is an WRPG and the other is a....WRPG. Maybe the party members in Bioware's games make it a WJRPG? Oh wait, doesn't Skyrim have companions too?

What next, Mario and Sonic are not comparable because while they are both platformers, one is a hedgehog and the other is a human?
Dude really? One is an open world game were you don't really need companions. One is a fairly linear game set up D and D style were you need companions to beat the freaking game.
Dude really, they have the same fanbase for a reason.
But they are different genres of games. Look. It's like comparing Star Trek to Star Wars. It just doesn't work...

I like BOTH games but I realize they are both DIFFERENT types of playing. You could compare Skyrim to Two Worlds or Dragon Age to Sacred Angels but not Dragon Age to Skyrim.
People have been comparing Trek to Wars since 1977.

I'm not really sure that they do.
Just because someone does something doesn't make it right. Look, you can compare them all you want to (like Bloated Guppy said in another post) but it's really just pretty pointless. They overlap yes, but not enough for someone to say this game is better then this game because of this. There simply is not enough overlap. IF they were both open world WJRPG then sure! But they are not. They have different game mechanics at play. Comparing the story is fine. But you cannot simply compare the game itself because the game mechanics are so different. That's all. You can keep quoting me if you want to, but I won't respond.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Brian Hendershot said:
Crono1973 said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Crono1973 said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Crono1973 said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Two different games...two different genres...two different sets of fanboys...WHO WILL WINNN????

Seriously. The only thing these games seem to have in common with me is that there are dragons...and...the studio that made them starts with a B.

You are comparing apples to bananas man. They are both fruits...completely different fruits that give you different vitamins.

Anyhow, I enjoyed both Dragon Ages and what little bit of Skyrim I have gotten to play, I have enjoyed! I think it's pretty unfair to compare them.
Yes, different genres. One is an WRPG and the other is a....WRPG. Maybe the party members in Bioware's games make it a WJRPG? Oh wait, doesn't Skyrim have companions too?

What next, Mario and Sonic are not comparable because while they are both platformers, one is a hedgehog and the other is a human?
Dude really? One is an open world game were you don't really need companions. One is a fairly linear game set up D and D style were you need companions to beat the freaking game.
Dude really, they have the same fanbase for a reason.
But they are different genres of games. Look. It's like comparing Star Trek to Star Wars. It just doesn't work...

People have been comparing Trek to Wars since 1977.

I'm not really sure that they do.
Just because someone does something doesn't make it right. Look, you can compare them all you want to (like Bloated Guppy said in another post) but it's really just pretty pointless. They overlap yes, but not enough for someone to say this game is better then this game because of this. There simply is not enough overlap. IF they were both open world WJRPG then sure! But they are not. They have different game mechanics at play. Comparing the story is fine. But you cannot simply compare the game itself because the game mechanics are so different. That's all. You can keep quoting me if you want to, but I won't respond.
If a game has to be near identical to be comparable then almost nothing is comparable to anything else. That's ridiculous. Most of the people who say "it's not comparable" turn around and compare it.

Just forget it, it seems like people on this site don't want to discuss games because nothing is comparable and an unpopular opinion is not welcome.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
M-E-D The Poet said:
Radeonx said:
No, no it doesn't
Dragon Age Origins was buggy shoddy and did not have great graphics
Skyrim was buggier for me, and I loved the graphics for Origins.
If I'm comparing the two games (Despite the obvious reasons why we shouldn't), Origins is better.
By far.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Cenequus said:
Crono1973 said:

Not saying people CAN'T compare them(just as you did with bioware/jrpg)but it's a comparison of what they have in common,and not of what they differ.It's Like for example when Neverwinter Nights 2 came out most reviews were making comparisons with Oblivion(see penny arcade since they did a funny comic about it some time ago).

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Radeonx said:
M-E-D The Poet said:
Radeonx said:
No, no it doesn't
If I'm comparing the two games (Despite the obvious reasons why we shouldn't), Origins is better.
By far.
if you are

I have a Robust gaming pc

for me skyrim flows as perfectly as kiss my hand

Also if I wanted to I could decently mod skyrim to work even better

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
M-E-D The Poet said:
Radeonx said:
M-E-D The Poet said:
Radeonx said:
No, no it doesn't
By far.
if you are

I have a Robust gaming pc

for me skyrim flows as perfectly as kiss my hand

Also if I wanted to I could decently mod skyrim to work even better
Yeah, Skyrim has better graphics.
Origins had a better everything else. Granted, I can't really compare the storylines/gameplay because they are nothing alike, but Origins was overall much better.