Skyrim Too Easy?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
I can't really relate too much, but so far, I'm a level 10 and 1/2 spellwarrior(a spell in one hand, a sord in the other) and I've been playing for approx. 8 hours, and the game is a little bit unbalanced, for eg:
-Giants always insta-kill you
-Mammoths and dragons always, always kill you just as you've removed half of their health bar.
-Flame, Frostbite and shock are all s***, unless you invest in the augmented perks.
-Rockjoint is very hard to cure, as I can't find any temples near the wizard's college.
-Armor doesn't count for S***.
(On Adept difficulty, on very rare occassions, I had to turn on God Mode because I was sick of dying all the time)
I have both 25% damage upgrades. Flame, Frostbite, and Shock are still shit after like...level 5. I'm up to Adept level spells right now (Which I can toss around like candy), but those aren't doing the job anymore either. Still need like 13 more Destruction levels to advance to Expert level spells, though...

Why must Destruction level so slowly? I literally gain a level in Illusion every time I cast Muffle...

Edit: I do one shot everything that isn't in a quest dungeon/boss, though. Actually, I managed to kill one boss before the boss area finished with it's 'setting up' animation.

Edit 2: Town Guards have the second highest stats of ANYTHING I've fought so far. That includes DRAGONS. The highest stat award goes to Morokei.
I know how you feel :(
The thing is, I still have the mage stone activated(near helgen), and it still takes stupidly long to level up destruction.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I'm not sure how you can be "one shotting" enemies on master when I'm level 14 on adept with 73 archery totally perked and a Fine Elven Bow and I can't one shot certain bandits, even with sneak shots.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Playing a high elf battlemage on Adept difficulty, the game is still bloody hard sometimes. But I think that's just because I havent found any good maces or destruction spells yet.

Also, it seems like noone is doing the College of Winterhold quests, mages dont seem to be that popular on the Escapist. My character is an Altmer who wields an mace/sword in one hand and a destruction or restoration spell in the other.

[EDIT] Also, try fighting two giants and three mammoths at the same time when you have only just started. I was travelling to Whiterun and I came across the bastards and they just all ganged up on me and killed me in one hit.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
Kopikatsu said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
I can't really relate too much, but so far, I'm a level 10 and 1/2 spellwarrior(a spell in one hand, a sord in the other) and I've been playing for approx. 8 hours, and the game is a little bit unbalanced, for eg:
-Mammoths and dragons always, always kill you just as you've removed half of their health bar.
-Flame, Frostbite and shock are all s***, unless you invest in the augmented perks.
-Rockjoint is very hard to cure, as I can't find any temples near the wizard's college.
(On Adept difficulty, on very rare occassions, I had to turn on God Mode because I was sick of dying all the time)
I have both 25% damage upgrades. Flame, Frostbite, and Shock are still shit after like...level 5. I'm up to Adept level spells right now (Which I can toss around like candy), but those aren't doing the job anymore either. Still need like 13 more Destruction levels to advance to Expert level spells, though...

Why must Destruction level so slowly? I literally gain a level in Illusion every time I cast Muffle...

Edit: I do one shot everything that isn't in a quest dungeon/boss, though. Actually, I managed to kill one boss before the boss area finished with it's 'setting up' animation.

Edit 2: Town Guards have the second highest stats of ANYTHING I've fought so far. That includes DRAGONS. The highest stat award goes to Morokei.
The thing is, I still have the mage stone activated(near helgen), and it still takes stupidly long to level up destruction.
I got to level 58 before realizing that I didn't have the Mage stone activated. (I died right after I activated it, but forgot to go back and do it again)

Also, I was stuck at level 59 FOREVER until I got a tooltip that said 'Progress towards your next skill degrades if you serve your sentence in prison.' Which sucked, because I was doing alot of that. (Dark Brotherhood quest chain)

Now I just say 'I'd rather die than go to prison!' and flee on my demon horse. Town Guards are freakin' persistent, though. I've had a group of five of them chase me halfway across Skyrim before they got ambushed by a Dragon...

Edit: And now I've heard that you can potentially get up to 5000% damage on swords. Also this:

BRB, rerolling character.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Raddra said:
power attack daggers in stealth unseen and he just lies back down re-dead.
You can safely just hit the normal attack, I saw somewhere that the damage multipliers don't stack from sneak attack and power attack.

However, there are some gloves in the game that double your sneak attack multiplier. 30x with daggers makes pretty much everything instantly dead.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Kopikatsu said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

I got to level 58 before realizing that I didn't have the Mage stone activated. (I died right after I activated it, but forgot to go back and do it again)

Also, I was stuck at level 59 FOREVER until I got a tooltip that said 'Progress towards your next skill degrades if you serve your sentence in prison.' Which sucked, because I was doing alot of that. (Dark Brotherhood quest chain)

Now I just say 'I'd rather die than go to prison!' and flee on my demon horse. Town Guards are freakin' persistent, though. I've had a group of five of them chase me halfway across Skyrim before they got ambushed by a Dragon...
I remember that I was previously defiled in Skyrim when I was on the 7000 steps, it took quite a lot of retires just that I could kill the dragon, and I nearly thought oof giving up when the snow troll appeared(I was around level 7/8 then). Seriously, Adept difficulty is like Hardened difficulty in CoD.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I do not look bad fondly on the years my battle mage had to hit deadra 1000 times before he would die. I like skyrim

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Edit: And now I've heard that you can potentially get up to 5000% damage on swords. Also this:

I want that ring! WANT WANT WANT!

OT: I don't know, Skyrim's really really hard sometimes (mostly early game). Also, I find the strength of the giants utterly nonsense. I've had one giant take on a Dragon alone, kill it, only taking maybe a sixth of it's health in damage.

Of course, now my character's really taken off and can mostly one hit enemies with my bow and 30X stealth dagger damage boost (which also has a chance to instantly kill. Not OP at all!).

Considering my stealth skill is so incredibly high that enemies can't spot me until they bump into me, the game is incredibly easy now.

Except for the Giants. God I hate those Giants.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
Kopikatsu said:

I want that ring! WANT WANT WANT!

OT: I don't know, Skyrim's really really hard sometimes (mostly early game). Also, I find the strength of the giants utterly nonsense. I've had one giant take on a Dragon alone, kill it, only taking maybe a sixth of it's health in damage.

Of course, now my character's really taken off and can mostly one hit enemies with my bow and 30X stealth dagger damage boost (which also has a chance to instantly kill. Not OP at all!).

Considering my stealth skill is so incredibly high that enemies can't spot me until they bump into me, the game is incredibly easy now.

Except for the Giants. God I hate those Giants.
Naaaah. I watched a full health Dragon fight two Cave Bears. The Bears killed the Dragon and neither of them took more than a 1/15th of their health in damage. Then they came for me. THEN THEY CAME FOR MEEEEEE.

I died.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ghost whistler said:
Witty Name Here said:
I never understood there's always at least one person who plays on the hardest difficulty of any game and always says it's easy. I've had quite a bit of hell on a few Skyrim quests, so I don't see how you're "One shotting everyone"
Neither do I. Archery is complete crap. You need to have it at least 40 for it to be on an equal par with any other combat type. It's slow, aiming is a pain in the ass, and as a result levelling it up takes ages. One shotting people, what the fuck.
If you level up enchantment, it's possible to get 5000% one handed damage while dual wielding.

Enchantment is broken.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ghost whistler said:
That may be true, but the difficulty in the game is a mess. After making my way up to hrothgar and killing that troll (took 5 times) i complete the farmer's quest and when i leave his house 5 thugs jump me. I can't take that many mobs on at all. My companion has vanished (fuck knows why they had to hobble the player with yet more broken ai followers, new vegas was bad enough) and i can barely scratch even one of them. Archery is useless against thsi many people, any time I swing at one he blocks it while the other 4 wail on me. How on earth are you meant to play like this? Level scaling would have been preferrable to this random difficulty spike.
There is level scaling, though...

It kicks in HARD at level 20.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
I didn't notice the difficulty being too low...and I'm playing with a generic sword and shield, heavy armor, huge amounts of health kind of character.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ghost whistler said:
I don't know how i'm meant to play this. I'm level 11. I feel as if the game punishes me for following the quests (and i've done lots of side quests as well) almost from the start. There I am doing what I'm meant to do and suddenly I run into a mob that I can't deal with. Hrothgar is a prime example (it's also extremely boring walking up that path); the frost troll is really tough and he's right at the top. All that journey and if you can't fight him it's back with your tail between yoru legs - and it's not as if there's a warning that there are tough monsters at the top (a journey routinely made by a local farmer!). It feels like the game pulls the rug from under my legs.
Run past him. He's right near the Greybeard's place. The Greybeards are godlike and will smite the Troll.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
DrWilhelm said:
captaincabbage said:
Witty Name Here said:
captaincabbage said:
Witty Name Here said:
I never understood there's always at least one person who plays on the hardest difficulty of any game and always says it's easy. I've had quite a bit of hell on a few Skyrim quests, so I don't see how you're "One shotting everyone"
I know what you mean man, I've been fucked over far too many times for my liking so far in Skyrim. I'm level 15 atm specializing in destruction magic and axes and I can't comprehend how someone could simply be that good that the game. Hell, I turned the difficulty down to apprentice and it's still fucking hard in points.
Especially those fucking finishing moves. I hate it SO MUCH that enemies can perform finishers on you when you're on low health, it's just fucked. Hey Bethesda, I DON'T LIKE BEING STABBED IN THE GUTS REPEATEDLY.
I'm fine with the finishers, what drives me crazy are the dragon encounters, those things are pretty tough, the worst part was after an ESPECIALLY brutal mission (I wont spoil anything, let's just say it involves "Northwatch Hold" and the Greymanes, you'll probably get it if you know those two) A dragon spawned right outside the place, it was in an isolated part of Skyrim so I could either, outrun the dragon or pray to the Nine that a few NPCs would come along to help me fight the thing.
I dunno, I've found the dragons to be fairly easy. What really shits me is that I can cleave my way through a dragon no problem, but I'll get my ass handed to me on a platter by almost any magic-user.
And I guess I hate those finishers because you'll still have a bit of health left that you could have used fighting, but it's all just taken out in a very in-your-face style, that seems to beckon "Well well, looks like you just suck, amiright?"
Same here. The first story dragon was very hard, particularly as I decided to charge straight at the beast without support and was promptly barbecued and carved to pieces. Every other dragon though has been strangely easy, causing me to suspect that they aren't scaling correctly to my level. They're still fun to fight though, and can get very tense if they attack a populated area. I have a something of a hero complex in games like this, and I absolutely must save everyone.

On the other hand I keep getting my ass handed to my by groups of enemies. One on one, even the toughest, battle-axe wielding bandit will go down without having to dip into healing spells and potions, but give that bandit a buddy and I'm in for a damned tough fight. That goes double for groups of spiders. That troll on the seven thousand steps was an absolute pain as well. Gangs of mages can be a nightmare if I go about it wrong, but because of their abysmal armour they become trivial if I can down one or two before they all open up. Even with a low level, un-perked marksman and sneak skill, a sneak attack arrow can bring one down, making the fight considerably easier.
I dunno. I don't think it's a scaling issue (because fuck scaling), I think it's more of a confidence booster, allowing you to getthe hang of dragon fighting whilst getting some sould to start off with and making you feel like a badass.