SKYRIM WEAPONS WORTH KEEPING??

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The best weapons in an unmodded Skyrim are fully upgraded (after buffing up smithing skills with enchantments and alchemy) Daedric weapons.

Unfortunately, without mods, NONE of the "legendary" weapons or "Daedric artifacts" are worth keeping in the long run.

kma2012

Feb 9, 2012
This is my ridiculous arsenal

Amrens family sword
ancient nord greatsword of cold
axe of whiterun
dwarven dagger
dwarven warhammer
eye of melka
gaulder blackblade
iron mace of frost
reverent steel sword
staff of jyrik gaulderson
staff of magelight
staff of sparks
steel greatsword of souls
steel warhammer of arcing

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
There's no reason to keep any weapon that's worst than what you have, unless it's only slightly worse but has a useful effect.

THAT BEING SAID, I do tend to keep the 'unique' weapons just because they 'special' (Chillrend for example). I wouldn't sell Excalibur just because I am a smithing-god that can craft something better.

somerandomguy76

Sep 6, 2008
As with everybody on here, making your own is the way to go. I do always carry Dawnbreaker for Draughr encounters though. Such fun!

Personally, I love my Ebony War Axe with Paralyze. Named it Sting ;-)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nah, not really. And really, the only reason to save some is to snag their enchantments for later. Or sentimental value, if you like. The Daedric ones are the only ones worth keeping, unless you're a staff guy (can't imagine why you would be though). Anything you find in the world can be matched by crafting/enchanting a better one. Hell, max enchanting, you can set two enchantments!

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
kma2012 said:
Are there any weapons that you can obtain from defeating someone in Skyrim that you should keep??Thanks
Keep Ebony and up to sell at high level. Or goodish things at low levels.
At low levels: If you see a weapon with bigger numbers (other than weight) take it. Sell the old stuff. If you see a weapon with An enchantment carry it to an enchanting table and disenchant (only works once per enchantment but allows you to enchant your weapons with the same enchantment and gets up your enchanting skill).

If you see Unique stuff like:
Dragon Priest masks
Daedric artifacts (Wabbajack etc)
Kool stuffs you like the look of (to hang up in your house)
Quest items
Keep this stuff. It is useful and usually very powerful.

That is all the advice I have. And I usually only use bound weapons.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
kma2012 said:
Hello, I have a question about weapons in Skyrim..I tend to horde weapons quite a bit and I was wondering: Are there any weapons that you can obtain from defeating someone in Skyrim that you should keep?? like for future use? Or should I focus on just getting my alchemy and smithing up and making my own weapons??

Thanks
Glass, Ebony, or Daedric. Those are the best grades of weapons.

Take the appropriate perks, get your Smiting to 100, and drink down a Smithing potion, and you'll have one-handed weapons doing 70+ damage, and 2-handed weapons doing 100+ damage.

Dwarven weapons are good early on, but quickly get outpaced by the three types above. Of those three, Daedric is the best, but it's on the Heavy Armor side of the Smithing tree, so if you prefer Light, then you'll end up with Glass (unless you spend another 5 perks - worth it, IMO, for the best weapons, and for the ability to turn all those Solid Dwarven Metals into Legendary Dwarven Armors to sell).

As for magical abilities, put on the Soul Trap ability and enjoy the many, many souls.

May 5, 2010
I don't know about specific weapons, but I've been using an ebony sword for quite some time now. Probably at least the last 10 levels or so. Haven't found anything better, and enchanted weapons tend to run out of charge after one dungeon, in my experience.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
If you find a spear, keep at least one in reserve. And, as above, make sure you keep the longest and biggest one.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Dawnbreaker. Until you can forge your own weapons, it's pretty useful. Get smithing leveled up, and it's even better. Also, I believe the shield Spellbreaker is the best shield. Period.

However, if you max out smithing, and then max out "Enchantments are now X% stronger," then any weapon you forge is going to stomp anything the game gives you. Especially if you drink a potion, or equip gear that increases the effects of smithing and enchanting.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Get your enchanting and smithing up, then keep all the stuff you make and enchant yourself. You'll be set for the rest of the game.

The K-man

May 24, 2011
If you really want to have the best possible weapons, you need to max out all 3 crafting skills and put some points into them as well. Once you have done that, simply make the daedric weapon(s) of your choice, as well as a potion to increase the power of enchants and a potion to increase the power of blacksmithing improvements.

Then make sure you have a chest piece, gloves/bracers, a ring and a necklace. Drink the enchanting potion and immediately enchant them all with + to smithing improvements. Make sure to use all grand soul gems when you do this. Then, equip your newly enchanted items and head to the nearest grinding stone. Chug that smithing potion you made earlier and improve your weapon(s).

Im honestly not sure how high you can get the damage if you do this, as i simply used smithing and enchanting potions i found in dungeons (which are weaker than the ones you can craft with max alchemy). This will easily get one handed weapons, including daggers, over 100 damage. Slap on some gear with powerful +damage enchants and you can more than double that.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Raj keeps most Daedric weapons on hand. Good enchantments, better stats!
Very few things stab better then Mehrunes Razor.

Not that Raj stabs things. Mace of Molag Bal is also amazing weapon if you can get. Good against mages because of enchantment.

Favorite weapon of all is Ebony Blade though. While you wield it two-handed, it gets better from one-handed skills! Meaning i can stay sneaky with a dagger, but still have extremely hard hitting blade for real combat! Best of all? Unlimited charge! Saves much money on Grand Soul Gems.

And that is money Raj can use for moon sugar! Dont tell wife Mjoll though. She will have hissy fit. And by hissy fit, mean "will attack Raj with blunt table shaped object".

We go through tables a lot.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
None, really. The Daedra quest weapons are OKish if you can get them early, but in the end the only thing you really want to keep is that Daedric Longsword/Greatsword/Whateveryouuse upgraded to Legendary with dual enchants (Weapon Skill + Elemental).

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Skyrim isn't really one of those games where keeping weapons pays off. Everything in the world advances along with you. Eventually the thing you're using will be outclassed by something else.

cswurt

Oct 26, 2011
Just keep the unique stuff.
Daedric artifacts, etc. Things that ook like they have a unique name.
Not like "Fiery Iron Sword of Blah blah". That's just an iron sword with a random enchantment on it.
Y'know. Swords like 'Grimsever', etc.

Those are the weapons I like to use. They're powerful, but not overly so.
The game is easy enough as it is without exploiting the crafting system to one-shot any enemy you come across.
I don't see the point in power gaming like that.
If you want to take the challenge out of the gaming experience, why not just watch pre-recording gaming videos and pretend it's you?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Iron daggers.

Carry a shit ton of 'em and enchant 'em and sell 'em for like 5-7k a pop.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
Weapon (and armor) effectiveness depends on material and quality.

For Weaponry:

Iron is Base.

Steel is better than Iron.

Dwarven is better than steel

Orcish is better than dwarven

Skyforged Steel (accessiable via Companions only) is better than orcish

Elven is better than Skyforged Steel

Glass is better than elven

Ebony is better than Glass

Daedric is better than Ebony

Dragonbone only makes armor and is immaterial for weaponry

When in doubt, go for what has the HIGHER NUMBER. Enchantments are a matter of taste - drain stamina and drain health (drain, not damage) are the best for melee weapons, especially both at the same time.

Daedric quest items tend to be very useful for a specific purpose.
Actually, Dwarven weapons are better than Orcish, and Elven is the same as Skyforge Steel damage-wise. If anything, the latter is better as it's easier to upgrade with smithing.