Skywind Mod Jams Morrowind Into Skyrim

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
charge52 said:
To be honest, do you really think any added voice acting, if any is actually added, is going to be any good? Even if it is good, due to the amount of dialogue there probably won't be huge variety in voice actors, and it will just be the whole Oblivion and Skyrim problem of finding tons of people with the same voice. Not to mention that radiant AI is pretty flawed, and the only difference would be certain people would be in bed at certain times, which would make being a thief way easier than it was. Also, it doesn't really count as improving Skyrim if it comes packed with another mod. Not to mention the fact that most people who want to play Morrowind, don't really want to have to buy two games, they want to buy one game, Morrowind. In fact, most of the things this remake would do, could easily be done now. If I wanted to be a werewolf in Oblivion, there's a mod for that, if I want to remove the level scaling in Oblivion, there's a mod for that. If I want upgraded visuals in Morrowind or Oblivion, there are mods for that. If I want better combat in Morrowind, Skyrim, or Oblivion, there are mod's for that which I could just download now. This mod doesn't really add much that isn't already there.
Well I guess with Skyrim having all of Morrowind and Oblivion mapped out in a low detail geometry, adding them into Skyrim was a eventuality regardless of how you feel about 'upgrading them all'. I personally think most people have/or will play Morrowind, doesn't mean we can't play it with everything upto scale with the new games... rather than "trying" to make it up to scale with all these different mods. It can be done with one all encompassing mod for all 3 games.

And at the moment there is no mod that allows you to play all games with your one character.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
TheUnbeholden said:
charge52 said:
To be honest, do you really think any added voice acting, if any is actually added, is going to be any good? Even if it is good, due to the amount of dialogue there probably won't be huge variety in voice actors, and it will just be the whole Oblivion and Skyrim problem of finding tons of people with the same voice. Not to mention that radiant AI is pretty flawed, and the only difference would be certain people would be in bed at certain times, which would make being a thief way easier than it was. Also, it doesn't really count as improving Skyrim if it comes packed with another mod. Not to mention the fact that most people who want to play Morrowind, don't really want to have to buy two games, they want to buy one game, Morrowind. In fact, most of the things this remake would do, could easily be done now. If I wanted to be a werewolf in Oblivion, there's a mod for that, if I want to remove the level scaling in Oblivion, there's a mod for that. If I want upgraded visuals in Morrowind or Oblivion, there are mods for that. If I want better combat in Morrowind, Skyrim, or Oblivion, there are mod's for that which I could just download now. This mod doesn't really add much that isn't already there.
Well I guess with Skyrim having all of Morrowind and Oblivion mapped out in a low detail geometry, adding them into Skyrim was a eventuality regardless of how you feel about 'upgrading them all'. I personally think most people have/or will play Morrowind, doesn't mean we can't play it with everything upto scale with the new games... rather than "trying" to make it up to scale with all these different mods. It can be done with one all encompassing mod for all 3 games.

And at the moment there is no mod that allows you to play all games with your one character.
Considering the fact that to many, Skyrim and Oblivion are definitely not "upgrades" from Morrowind, than no one is bringing Morrowind up to scale. Add Morrowind to Skyrim, and you simply won't have half the things that were in Morrowind. The fog that added to the atmosphere, the immersion provided through the fact that NPCs couldn't get into conversations with someone who has the same voice, and so on. Not to mention it would be practically impossible to balance being able to play all three games with the same character. At most all they could do is make it so all the character shares is Appearance and name, but is essentially a separate entity in each.

wookiee777

Mar 5, 2012
I'm not going to bash people who are interested in this project, but I am not interested. One of the reasons I love Morrowind so much because it's so different from the other games in the series. Why would they homogenize it?

EDIT: Sorry, my brain is tired. Even though I read the article I still got it mixed up. Disregard my homogenization comment.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I think my eyes are bleeding, but the visuals on this mod are just beutiful.

But wait a moment, wasn't Morrowind mostly destroyed when Red Mountain erupted?

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
blackrave said:
Unless it involves time travel this mod makes no sense lorewise
Vvardenfell should be ash wasteland, instead they made it to look like in TES3

A little Nirn history here
In between TES4 and TES5 (around E4Y40 to be more specific) there was one particular event that took place in a book "The Infernal City"
I won't spoil it but it resulted in Ministry of Truth (the big floating rock above city of Vivec) crashing into the Vvardenfell with full force (because it wasn't stopped, but rather suspended in a form of stasis, so all original kinetic force was still there)
That started massive eruption of the Red Mountain (the volcano in the middle of Vvardenfell)
So at the point of E4Y200 (when TES5 takes place), Vvardenfell is heavily changed (maybe even still mostly uninhabited)
Maybe Dunmer are starting to retake their land back (it is 160y after the catastrophe), but it is unlikely, since most of Morrowind mainland is taken over by Argonians after weakened Dunmer were defeated in a war with a Black Marsh (another event that took place in between TES4 and TES5 and after destruction of Vvardefell)

So yeah, Morrowind is complicated province to make right.
I've got to be honest, this kind of storytelling annoys the fuck out of me.

The whole point of Morrowind's story is that you're this reincarnated Chosen One who ends up taking back the province for the natives. It's painted as this big epic event. It's a legend in the making.

And then a few centuries later, all of that is undone by a big old volcano eruption. What was the point of the player going through all that shit in Morrowind if the island is just going to get nuked not long after?
Actually, the whole point of Morrowind wasn't that you were some reincarnated chosen one taking the provinces back for the genocidal xenophobic natives - The point is that in order to stop some crazy genocidal god from bringing about a Zombie Apocalypse, you have to destroy one of the key artifacts holding the world together, and rob the power from the guy who's keeping the giant rock from smashing into the continent and blowing everything up. You didn't save the world in Morrowind - you broke it. You broke it hard.

Besides, the time between Morrowind and the Red Year is comparable to the current age of U.S.A.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
I tried to get into Morrowind several times, but I recall having difficulty actually finding the main quest. I also recall that the water was extremely shiny. But if this mod works out I may give it a shot. Now that I've plugged so many hours into skyrim I'm also considering giving Oblivion a chance, so why not Morrowind. If I can find the disc...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
morrowblivion (morrowind+oblivion) also required to have both games installed. result was bethesda banned that mod as copyright infrigment or something.

Wonder how they're gonna enforce the need to have Morrowind to install and play the mod.
the mod does not work without the original morrowind files. the mod itself carries no such files and they have to be "found" on your machine. now whether that morrowind on your machine is legal or pirated it cant know, but thats your problem, not the mod creator.
to put it simply: it wont work without morrowind.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Trivun said:
And lo, we are provided with yet another reason to call for Bethesda to finally make a full-on Elder Scrolls game featuring every region with missions and quests and such across all of Tamriel, as an official part of the franchise. TAKE MY MONEY, DAMMIT!
...You mean the first game? [http://youtu.be/WpviWOu02GU?t=39s]

I mean, its nice and all, but you'd be better off playing Daggerfall. Its free now!

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I've got to be honest, this kind of storytelling annoys the fuck out of me.

The whole point of Morrowind's story is that you're this reincarnated Chosen One who ends up taking back the province for the natives. It's painted as this big epic event. It's a legend in the making.

And then a few centuries later, all of that is undone by a big old volcano eruption. What was the point of the player going through all that shit in Morrowind if the island is just going to get nuked not long after?
You're not the chosen one. You're A chosen one, half the game is about BECOMING the Nerevarine, not being born him. And the other half is about how its entirely possible that the Nerevarine prophecy is just Azura's way of getting revenge on the tribunal, and Vivec himself is uncertain what will happen to the giant floating meteor once his magic fades. Nuking Vvardenfell is pretty much the coolest plot development in the series, just for how it completely fucks over the whole chosen-one fantasy cliche.

Which they then embrace whole-hog in the next two games. Fucking Bethesda.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Li Mu said:
Irridium said:
Hm, it'd be nice to play Morrowind with combat that isn't total ass.
Perhaps you and I played very different versions of Morrowind.
Combat in Morrowind = HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK *enemy dies*
Combat in Skyrim = *try to do some cool move and fail* HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK HACK *enemy dies*

Anyway, this mod seems too good to be true. So I will pretend it doesn't exist until it is actually released.
This is how I remember skyrim combat:
You charge past the guy, striking him down. Then you decapitate guy behind him and slash two more with one hit. If there are any remains you set them on fire with shout and THEN maybe comes hacking, AS A WEREWOLF!

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Vhite said:
This is how I remember skyrim combat:
You charge past the guy, striking him down. Then you decapitate guy behind him and slash two more with one hit. If there are any remains you set them on fire with shout and THEN maybe comes hacking, AS A WEREWOLF!
I keep trying to do the special attacks, but it never seems to work when I want it to.
But I guess that's not the fault of the game, just the fault of me sucking at the game.

Although what annoys me most is when I am sniping with my bow and I've got a clear shot. I fire and find that the arrow has gotten stuck in the floor in front of me. Despite there being about a mile between the cross-hair and the floor.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Hells yeah.
I hope they find a way to make spears work again and to allow you to put clothes on over your armour.