Sleeping Dogs Review

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
cricket chirps said:
Looks like Yakuza, plays like Yakuza, is probably the american version of Yakuza. Not even a fan of the series ._. just screams familiar and not worth my time.
Yakuza has a different tone, no cars or guns... I dont see the similarity, apart from it being set in asia :D

OT: Looks about what i expected. Doesn't do anything new gameplay-wise but the setting is what makes it stand out. Should be arriving by post in a few days!

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Mark B said:
Nice review looks like it has some good ideas, which it executes well. However as you point out the shooting is weak and it looks like the cars drive a bit weird ? I think I'm gonna wait till it comes down in price.
Not a fan of arcade car handling? Most reviews have said the driving is great :)

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
I`m going to pick it up the next few days. I`m glad that i can finally start beating thugs without having to wear a cape or costume for once (Batman, Watchmen). I`ve seen no negative review so far and it looks like a real fun game. The storytelling seems to be a bit more to my taste than in the Yakuza series. No baloon chases and try hard emotional drama here and getting flowers to get laid is a more aceptable mission goal to me. Hopefully the love interest stuff isn`t to cheesy or at least as short as possible.

Edit:
"I`ve seen no negative review so far..."
Just watched the Angry Joe Show. He gave the lowest score i`ve seen so far (6 out of 10).

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Sleeping Dogs Review

Are you a cop or a gangster?

Read Full Article
I really doubt you'll read this but is the triad/cop points a moral choice thing? Like Infamous or do you advance in both?

OP: I was heartbroken when Activision cancelled this. As a sequel to True Crime I couldn't wait. The first one was an under appreciated masterpiece even if it was kinda silly. The second was... good, I liked it a lot and played through it loads but it had so, SO many problems. I feel obligated to get this but I learned my lesson from all the Duke Nukem fans who knew Forever sucked and still got it for the sake of it. I need a game for my birthday and I'm torn on whether to get this or not. The gunplay in TC was never top notch but the bullet time was awesome sauce. And yes I know Max Payne made it but I don't care. I just don't want to be disappointed

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
daveman247 said:
Mark B said:
Nice review looks like it has some good ideas, which it executes well. However as you point out the shooting is weak and it looks like the cars drive a bit weird ? I think I'm gonna wait till it comes down in price.
Not a fan of arcade car handling? Most reviews have said the driving is great :)
It was more the over swaying of the car and that it seemed to have no effect on the control.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
cricket chirps said:
Looks like Yakuza, plays like Yakuza, is probably the american version of Yakuza. Not even a fan of the series ._. just screams familiar and not worth my time.
That's like saying "I never played a Japanese game, but Nintendo's Legend of Zelda is probably a RPG."

It's based on True Crime. It's not the American Yakuza because True Crime is older than the Yakuza series.

DVS BSTrD said:
When guns are made criminal then only the criminals will have... kung fu? and guns.
For some reason I think that the game probably includes twice the number of guns that actually exist in Hong Kong.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Mark B said:
It was more the over swaying of the car and that it seemed to have no effect on the control.[/quote]

... thats arcade handling for ya :)

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
ProtoChimp said:
I really doubt you'll read this but is the triad/cop points a moral choice thing? Like Infamous or do you advance in both?
You get both Cop XP and Triad XP with each mission. For the Triad XP, each move you do and kill you make increases the total. For the Cop XP, the game starts with a set number you can gain and each infraction decreases from that total. I've completed missions with no Cop XP and tons of Triad.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Something about this game is very appealing to me, yet it just doesn't seem quite polished enough all around. I'll almost definitely be picking it up at some point, but it almost certainly won't be for full price.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I think I'll get it after this review, seems like a game I'd enjoy.
The fighting in this game looks fun and the bullet time will feel less tacky if I get immersed in anyway.
So overall I'll pick it up while it's still full price, looks worth it.
Pay check tomorrow.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Wow. This is surprising. I've been so burnt out on big city-based sandbox games. I don't even have an inkling of interest in Grand Theft Auto 5. But Sleeping Dogs looks great. The city looks so much different than what I'm used to (variations of "New York"). The driving looks smooth and even kind of arcadey (which I like). The combat is melee based! Wonderful! The gunplay is often the worst part of the these kinds of games, so I'll gladly toss that aside.

Buying tomorrow. It's nice being surprised.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I bought Sleeping Dogs from Steam and I am really liking it. Using a keyboard and mouse for the combat isn't all that difficult. I thought it would be at first but surprisingly it was done well. I am really happy I bought this.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Bought Sleeping Dogs 1 hour before release. Very very much enjoyed it. Took me back to the True Crime: New York City days. It was definitely worth $45.00. A decent price tag. There's stuff to do no matter what, and you can replay main story missions if you want. The PC port was fantastic to me, the game works really well with a mouse and keyboard. I didn't get bored for a second. Was hooked from beginning to end. Everything is paced greatly. The kung fu-shooty-drivey clicks very nicely, so there was never a point where I said "Sigh, another shootout section". The story was very very resembled to True Crime: NYC, and I could've guessed the story from beginning to end, but it was still half interesting. Story isn't the strong point in this game though, but gameplay is definitely very fun. Strongly recommended, one of the better games of the year so far for sure. I'll be willing to ask any questions at all if anyone needs any info :)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I like the game overall so far, but the controls feel a bit iffy at times, the keyboard mechanics work just fine in combat and what not, but when it comes to drifting and whatnot, especially when you loose so much police points for knocking down a road gate it really gets on my nerves. I really wish the police points were more forgiving, triad points are a joke to get, just throw everyone into the environmental stuff.

Speaking of environmental stuff, it's a shame that it seems like you get more points for just grappling and environment kills instead of comboing, I kinda wish the fighting was more Arkham Asylum/City in that respect.

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
The cop xp/triad xp system is interesting, but everything else seems half-assed. Fighting and shooting look 'meh' and driving looks like complete bullshit after Driver San Francisco. I think I'll pass, unless a kick ass demo comes along.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Been waiting for this game for two years. As a gamer from Hong Kong, I just can't pass it off.

For a developer based in Vancouver, United Front Games presented Hong Kong really well. Heck, they've even got the labels on the trash cans and minivans right. There were some differences which I assume were for gameplay purposes, but it's still pretty impressive.
Not to mention, the driving and fighting mechanics were much more enjoyable than GTA IV's. Vehicles don't handle like rocks, and I really loved the Arkham Asylum style combat.

Good on UFG for releasing a Hong Kong exclusive version of the game that includes all the DLC content with the full game.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
So glad I pre-ordered this, it looks amazing. I wish it was tomorrow already so I could play it, damn European release date being after the US one.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Greg Tito said:
ProtoChimp said:
You get both Cop XP and Triad XP with each mission. For the Triad XP, each move you do and kill you make increases the total. For the Cop XP, the game starts with a set number you can gain and each infraction decreases from that total. I've completed missions with no Cop XP and tons of Triad.
From what you said it sounds to me like the game is unbalanced in favor of gaining Triad XP over Cop XP.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Balkan said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Balkan said:
Greg Tito said:
Balkan said:
Why the fuck do review spoil so much of the story ? Fuckn sick of it , cant you talk about the game without talking about the story ?
The story isn't spoiled. I'm not really sure what you're upset about. If you think sharing biographical details and the events of the first few minutes is a spoiler, there's not much I can do for you.
I am sure that the review is possible without the spoilers . here they werent so huge but still I didnt knew these parts about the game .
Whould the review lost its context is you just said that the main character is a guy who is undercover in the mafia ? Im not that petty but still many reviewers make these mistakes , for instance in sh downpour one of the major plot points is 5 minutes in .
As far as I can see there are no "spoilers" in this review. Besides, if you want to play the game with absolutely no prior knowledge of its content, then don't read/watch any reviews on it.

To be honest, the amount of "detail" you found in this review that pertains to the story itself would most likely be included in the description on the back of the game box. Minor details are bound to be disclosed during a piece that is designed to give an overview of the game.
You took my complain way more seriously than I did . My point was that this little spoiler in the review was entirly pointless , it didnt serve anything he just said it .
How do you expect him to have explained the Triad/Cop XP mechanic without saying that he's an undercover cop?

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Balkan said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Balkan said:
Greg Tito said:
Balkan said:
Why the fuck do review spoil so much of the story ? Fuckn sick of it , cant you talk about the game without talking about the story ?
The story isn't spoiled. I'm not really sure what you're upset about. If you think sharing biographical details and the events of the first few minutes is a spoiler, there's not much I can do for you.
I am sure that the review is possible without the spoilers . here they werent so huge but still I didnt knew these parts about the game .
Whould the review lost its context is you just said that the main character is a guy who is undercover in the mafia ? Im not that petty but still many reviewers make these mistakes , for instance in sh downpour one of the major plot points is 5 minutes in .
As far as I can see there are no "spoilers" in this review. Besides, if you want to play the game with absolutely no prior knowledge of its content, then don't read/watch any reviews on it.

To be honest, the amount of "detail" you found in this review that pertains to the story itself would most likely be included in the description on the back of the game box. Minor details are bound to be disclosed during a piece that is designed to give an overview of the game.
You took my complain way more seriously than I did . My point was that this little spoiler in the review was entirly pointless , it didnt serve anything he just said it .
How do you expect him to have explained the Triad/Cop XP mechanic without saying that he's an undercover cop?
read my comment and find out for yourself ^