Slowing down - Why we don't post like we used to...

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:
d) Gamergate

GG brought a severe **** plague upon the forums. Or it exacerbated a dormant **** infestation. Probably a combination of the two. The ravages of time and attrition by moderation have mostly cleared it up, but lingering traces of poisonous **** still remain.
I can actually agree with this. I mean, we basically had a guy saying how people who carry opinions he disagreed with should be culled. Like, legit murdered for having opinions he disagreed with. I can't really see that sort of thing happening back in the old days.

If anything though, I'd say GG just brought it to the surface. It brought a LOT of things to the surface.
Being a racist bigot isnt the same as thinking Skyrim is better than Morrowind. But who gives a fuck about context, right?
Still doesn't change the fact that you want to kill off a bunch of people because of their opinions. Again, you are closer to said racist bigots in terms of mentality and philosophy than you are Martin Luther King Jr.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Actually, I like the post-Gamergate Escapist. Let's be honest about the people who gotten banned and/or moved on. They were people you couldn't have an honest or rational conversation with. Lately, most of the conversations I had been engaged with here have been better. Less keyboard warriors looking to harass you and trying to get you banned. If you disagree with them.

The main reason there is less content on the forums. There is less content on the website. The Escapist needs to do a better job creating more content to drive traffic here. Of course, I would have mixed feelings if there were increased traffic on this site. It would all depends on who the new content would appeal to.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:
d) Gamergate

GG brought a severe **** plague upon the forums. Or it exacerbated a dormant **** infestation. Probably a combination of the two. The ravages of time and attrition by moderation have mostly cleared it up, but lingering traces of poisonous **** still remain.
I can actually agree with this. I mean, we basically had a guy saying how people who carry opinions he disagreed with should be culled. Like, legit murdered for having opinions he disagreed with. I can't really see that sort of thing happening back in the old days.

If anything though, I'd say GG just brought it to the surface. It brought a LOT of things to the surface.
Being a racist bigot isnt the same as thinking Skyrim is better than Morrowind. But who gives a fuck about context, right?
Still doesn't change the fact that you want to kill off a bunch of people because of their opinions. Again, you are closer to said racist bigots in terms of mentality and philosophy than you are Martin Luther King Jr.
Doesnt change that those people deserve it. The idea that hating people because of the skin they had no choice in being born with is an ok opinion is a shit one. You dont choose to be black, but you choose to be racist. Just as people choose to rape, rob and murder. I dont see why being racist sholdnt be punished like those crimes. But hey, its just an opinion that that woman wants sex even if she says no, right?

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:
d) Gamergate

Doesnt change that those people deserve it. The idea that hating people because of the skin they had no choice in being born with is an ok opinion is a shit one. You dont choose to be black, but you choose to be racist. Just as people choose to rape, rob and murder. I dont see why being racist sholdnt be punished like those crimes. But hey, its just an opinion that that woman wants sex even if she says no, right?
So, my Uncle deserves to die because he's racist? The man who has always done right by his kids, babysits and spoils his grandkids, took care of me while my mother was deployed in Italy, and always has an open plate of food ready for any strays that wander around his house deserves to die because he is, to put it bluntly, a racist?

Also,

But hey, its just an opinion that that woman wants sex even if she says no, right?
What kind of mental contortions did you have to go through in order to make that make sense? For crying out loud man, one's holding the opinion that people of different nationalities than you are inferior, the other is sexual assault!

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
KissingSunlight said:
Actually, I like the post-Gamergate Escapist. Let's be honest about the people who gotten banned and/or moved on. They were people you couldn't have an honest or rational conversation with. Lately, most of the conversations I had been engaged with here have been better. Less keyboard warriors looking to harass you and trying to get you banned. If you disagree with them.

The main reason there is less content on the forums. There is less content on the website. The Escapist needs to do a better job creating more content to drive traffic here. Of course, I would have mixed feelings if there were increased traffic on this site. It would all depends on who the new content would appeal to.
To be fair to The Escapist, it's a catch 22 situation. Views are dwindling because there is no content, but they can't attract new content because they can't afford to pay them because views are dropping.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:
d) Gamergate

So, my Uncle deserves to die because he's racist? The man who has always done right by his kids, babysits and spoils his grandkids, took care of me while my mother was deployed in Italy, and always has an open plate of food ready for any strays that wander around his house deserves to die because he is, to put it bluntly, a racist?
if you arent going to do anything about him, maybe.

My grandmother's mother is racist. Shes been dead to me for awhile, but my grandmother has worked hard as her mother withers away so she is less of a shitty person by the time she does die. But if I found out she was killed by one of the black nurses she called a negro, Id not blame them.

Even if you think my views are too severe, that doesnt mean you can condone racism. Ive had one discussion with someone who doesnt share my more aggressive view, but they didnt pretend racists deserve to be protected against bad things as if they arent doing bad things themselves.

If nothing else, racism should be a crime. Just because the punishment I think is appropriate seems unfair to you, that doesnt mean they should be allowed to parade down NYC in full on KKK robes.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
Also,

But hey, its just an opinion that that woman wants sex even if she says no, right?
What kind of mental contortions did you have to go through in order to make that make sense? For crying out loud man, one's holding the opinion that people of different nationalities than you are inferior, the other is sexual assault!
Both are awful things that should be punished. Doesnt help that one of the candidates is guilty of both, and yet people still say they are just as bad.

(If you want to continue this in the R&P topic in question, that might be a better place)

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:
d) Gamergate

My grandmother's mother is racist. Shes been dead to me for awhile, but my grandmother has worked hard as her mother withers away so she is less of a shitty person by the time she does die. But if I found out she was killed by one of the black nurses she called a negro, Id not blame them.

Even if you think my views are too severe, that doesnt mean you can condone racism. Ive had one discussion with someone who doesnt share my more aggressive view, but they didnt pretend racists deserve to be protected against bad things as if they arent doing bad things themselves.

If nothing else, racism should be a crime. Just because the punishment I think is appropriate seems unfair to you, that doesnt mean they should be allowed to parade down NYC in full on KKK robes.
Do anything about him? WHAT!? The man doesn't even DO anything to do anything about! He doesn't go roaving for people to yell at, he doesn't spit on the ground black people walk on, he doesn't even talk about it unless it's relatable to the subject at hand!

And you'd not mind if your great-grandmother was murdered, just because she's racist? Freaking really!? Good lord dude, I can't even beging to describe why that's wrong. I really can't.

Finally, racism should be a crime? Oh that's nice. Thought crime. Yeah, because we really need the world to look more like 1984's England. You are aware that the right to free speech protects you just as much as them right? That's the thing about free speech, yes it allows horrible people to say what they want, but it also allows you to argue AGAINST them and NOT get locked up for offending the ruling party.

For crying out loud, do you know what actually caused the most damage to the KKK? It wasn't policy, it wasn't killing anyone in white bathrobes, it was a Superman radio show. Yeah. Superman basically just talked about all of the Klan's most ridiculous aspects such as the ranking names in the organization and the whole thing was reduced to a laughing stock. The KKK lost almost all of it's legitmacy without a single shot being fired.

On one final note, would you recommend executing this fine gentleman here? Just curious.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:
d) Gamergate

Do anything about him? WHAT!? The man doesn't even DO anything to do anything about! He doesn't go roaving for people to yell at, he doesn't spit on the ground black people walk on, he doesn't even talk about it unless it's relatable to the subject at hand!

And you'd not mind if your great-grandmother was murdered, just because she's racist? Freaking really!? Good lord dude, I can't even beging to describe why that's wrong. I really can't.

Finally, racism should be a crime? Oh that's nice. Thought crime. Yeah, because we really need the world to look more like 1984's England. You are aware that the right to free speech protects you just as much as them right? That's the thing about free speech, yes it allows horrible people to say what they want, but it also allows you to argue AGAINST them and NOT get locked up for offending the ruling party.

For crying out loud, do you know what actually caused the most damage to the KKK? It wasn't policy, it wasn't killing anyone in white bathrobes, it was a Superman radio show. Yeah. Superman basically just talked about all of the Klan's most ridiculous aspects such as the ranking names in the organization and the whole thing was reduced to a laughing stock. The KKK lost almost all of it's legitmacy without a single shot being fired.

On one final note, would you recommend executing this fine gentleman here? Just curious.

Many of my family arent blood relatives. I dont hold value in blood. Its another aspect of life most people are given little choice in. My grandmother's mother did not care for me, or raise me, or do anything for me. She is an awful person, regardless of her relation to me.

Racism should be a crime. And seriously, enough with this "thoughtcrime" bullshit. That many of you like saying that really makes me wonder. Why shouldnt being racist be a crime? Why? Maybe if racism was a crime things would actually improve. Why does racism deserve to be free from punishment and not everything else that is a crime!? Racism is pretty clearly defined when you arent a racist. I know most racists wont admit they are one though, so I suppose its not a big surprise how many racists get so offended that what they do might be deserving of legal action!

As long as you disagree with me by defending racism, you will not get me to change my view. That no one has even tried a tactic like perhaps reducing my severity is rather shocking, that it has to be straight up kill racists vs racists deserve immunity, is just staggering.

I dont like that Ive come to my conclusion, but that blatant racism still runs rampant today is really a failure on society being unwilling to fix their shit. Dont like my solution? Come up with a better one, cause its clearly live and let live, cause the racist side has no intention of that.

And blah blah blah, black racists are bad too. I swear the deja-vu I have with Fallen has rubbed off on you I suppose. But you let me know when someone running for President on the "Kill Whitey" platform gets considered as a serious candidate, cause I assure you, I wont be voting for them.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Saelune said:
For crying out loud man, the reason racism isn't a crime is beecause that would be a major pain in the ass to even PROVE! For example, say a black man didn't get a job. Sure, it could be because the interviewer was a racist a-hole, OR there was legitmatly someone who as more suited to the job.

And perhaps the world could be better, yeah, no. Because then you have to determine what constitute racism legally and how far that crap needs to go, where does intent come in (such as with comic book movies. Are people griping about a casting choice out of racism or a desire to want the film to be loyal to the source material) and the metric crapton of work that would have to go into to making sure no one can casually abuse the whole damn thing, ESPECIALLY if execution is on the table here! Do you have ANY idea how many people in Nazi Germany got sent to the camps because their neighbors hated their guts and lied about them to get rid of them!?

In fact, to hel make my point, here's a video with a test I'd like you to take.

And it IS thought crime. It's literally wanting people culled because of their opinions.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
For crying out loud man, the reason racism isn't a crime is beecause that would be a major pain in the ass to even PROVE! For example, say a black man didn't get a job. Sure, it could be because the interviewer was a racist a-hole, OR there was legitmatly someone who as more suited to the job.

And perhaps the world could be better, yeah, no. Because then you have to determine what constitute racism legally and how far that crap needs to go, where does intent come in (such as with comic book movies. Are people griping about a casting choice out of racism or a desire to want the film to be loyal to the source material) and the metric crapton of work that would have to go into to making sure no one can casually abuse the whole damn thing, ESPECIALLY if execution is on the table here! Do you have ANY idea how many people in Nazi Germany got sent to the camps because their neighbors hated their guts and lied about them to get rid of them!?

In fact, to hel make my point, here's a video with a test I'd like you to take.

And it IS thought crime. It's literally wanting people culled because of their opinions.
If only we had systems and methods to prove whether or not someone is guilty of a crime when accused of it. Though I guess with the number of racist cops on the force who also are way too protected from scrutiny, I guess its a flawed system.

And kudos on using thoughtcrime AND culled in the same sentence. If the other 2 or 3 who Ive been having this long ass argument with responded, I wouldnt even realize probably.

Maybe Nazi Germany wouldnt have happened if racism and prejudice wasnt ya know, ok. Infact, Nazi Germany is probably a good reason why racism SHOULD be illegal, cause having someone who uses people of a different ethnicity and/or religion as a scape goat to make their country great again rise to power is a pretty awful thing.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
GG/AGG is the two faced entity to which I lay most of the blame for this. That fucking nonsense fractured the userbase and when the site haemoraged content creators and never got the numbers back it basically spelt the beginning of a slow decline. Also Facebook and Reddit.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I really like forums, but they seem to be eroding as a communication platform entirely.
-Newgrounds forums were very active, but incredibly impersonal and had too many users to feel like a community.
-4chan is a lot of fun as a toxic cesspit of misanthropy, but cannot accommodate serious (or even SINCERE) discussion.
-Social media (Facebook in particular) destroys real-world relationships and will only ruin your IRL reputation and welfare.

The Escapist forums are the only place where I can enjoy legitimate human interaction without risking my livelihood or being called a ****** for literally any given reason. It's shrinking, and is basically on life support at this point, but it still serves as my favorite outlet for when I have something interesting I want to say.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Two things: One, I keep on getting "banned" for what I think is the site thinking I am using adblock. Two, these days, an innocent sounding post to me gets anal fucked by some guy who's having a bad day. I personally don't want to bother with that anymore.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It's always been a casual thing for me. Something to kill a few minutes when work is slow. But, after years of browsing these forums, I've learned that I just don't give as much of a shit about the stuff discussed here as other people. I don't have the time or energy to fanatically argue some trivial point about a fictional character's representation in a movie or tv show. And I just don't care. A lot of the topics on this site are pointless shit, and yet people will work themselves into a frothy mouthed frenzy about the most ridiculous of trivialities. And frankly, I just can't be bothered to participate. So, much of my activity here is simply lurking, for a topic that I'm actually interested in (which is probably 15% of the stuff here), and hasn't already devolved into a toxic shit storm. I'll then toss in my 2 cents, and then go about my day.

If I'm incredibly lucky, I'll be able to have a civil conversation for a few replies with someone, before it trails off into a tangential discussion.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Looking at the first page of this thread, you see why. The stubbornness, anger, the nothingness. Just not worth it. I use to post loads but majority of them turned into a fight about... well, thats the problem. One comment turns into a nasty back and forth. Even, an innocent thread about something nice turns to anger. Honestly, people have so much pent up anger and frustration that they take it out on faceless users online and its disgusting. Mention a certain buzzword and BOOM!! Abandon thread.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Whacha' talking about, stranger? I've always been here.

So, whacha' buying?