Slowing down - Why we don't post like we used to...

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Neonbob said:
Hell, most of the time I do that it's because you've or one of the other old timers has posted something.
I'm... I'm an oldtimer now Neon?

Ya damn right you are. I can hear your joints creaking from the eastern us seaboard, my man XD
Soon you'll be right here with us, complaining about the weather and how these damn punks nowadays have no respect.
Oh, and eating the prunes. Can't forget the prunes.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
No real discussion anymore unfortunately. I dislike putting time into a reply when it feels like a wasted effort no one will bother reading, which leads to boring 5 line replies like this one when I feel the urge to waste a few minutes browsing to see if there's anything worth commenting on, which there rarely is.

But then I've never been a prolific poster anyway, don't mind me.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Neonbob said:
Redlin5 said:
Neonbob said:
Hell, most of the time I do that it's because you've or one of the other old timers has posted something.
I'm... I'm an oldtimer now Neon?

Ya damn right you are. I can hear your joints creaking from the eastern us seaboard, my man XD
Soon you'll be right here with us, complaining about the weather and how these damn punks nowadays have no respect.
Oh, and eating the prunes. Can't forget the prunes.
These whippersnappers don't remember how to derail properly! Where's Pimppeter and that goat fellow? They sure knew how to put on a hootenanny!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
There are many things, although there was only like a year that I was really active.
Now it's the football usergroup that pretty much keeps me here.
Before I could have 4 or 5 shows I watched a week, commented on that, and noticed some other thread that seemed interesting, went there and commented/quoted something.
Nowadays it also seems like people can't take a joke, we used to derail the shit out of threads before and just go with it and have fun. We usually kept it on topic enough to not break any rules, which was a skill in itself. But these days people just argue, throw the same comments to each other before one sais it doesn't want to argue anymore and stops.
One reason for this could also be less users which means less trafic, so it's a witch-circle in a way...

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Just don't really have anything to talk about, and I don't typically find threads that pique my interest, but it's pretty much been like that since I joined.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Neonbob said:
These whippersnappers don't remember how to derail properly! Where's Pimppeter and that goat fellow? They sure knew how to put on a hootenanny!
I heard they went over the hill and moved on to better places.
Like Florida. I've heard you don't even have to turn the heat up in the winter there!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Stuff like reddit I guess. If i want to talk about politics I go to the politics bit there or guns/marvel/skyrim/westworld etc. I can focus in on what I want and find like a dozen threads instead of creating one and waiting for ever.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The lack of a "Latest threads" box.
I don't see what threads are up, so I don't go to them.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Well, my last post that wasn't a response to one of the Escapism UK threads was over three and a half years ago. I can pin it to changing interests and finding different platforms to chat with friends I had made; I would occasionally check out the forums and nope the heck out for various reasons.
Maybe this is a come back for me?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Let us see...

Reduced content.

Staff layoff.

The Extra Credits and MovieBob debacle.

The whole 'gamergate' alt-right lite movement.

AB+

The videos going, well, bonkers to various hick-ups to youtube.

Etc...etc...etc.

You can't have a huge forum with reducing the content that brought people here in the first place.

Hell, even MovieBob for all his bullshit (solid reviews, but some of his non-review views were 'oi vey' territory) at least brought in people...even if it was just to ***** about him sucking, that's still people.

So...yeah...this site has gone though some REALLY messed up times, and I think we're at the point of no return.

The lights are flickering, the displays are rusted, and the staff is missing...
Don't get me wrong, I'll stay till the lights are off, but I have little hope for the future of this site unless some good content and leadership is brought back.

There's a reason why I changed my avatar from 'various cute girls' to 'The End'.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mostly three things.

First one being work, that utilizes more of my time now so there is less time to shitpost.

Second thing is that i dont get int os o many arguments anymore, which of course means far less back and forth posts and lower postcount.

Third one being reddit. that site can suck your all free time and ask for seconds. Its the new TVTropes.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Revelo said:
I do find it sad that the community isn't as close knit as it used to be. Escapism these days tends to be mostly old-time forum members and any family or RL friends they have, trying to convince people to come to the community meetups is really difficult, years ago people from the forums would be meeting up everywhere, no idea if anyone else apart from Escapism do nowadays.
I've managed to meet five Escapists (Escapees?) independently at different times over the years but Canada is harder to manage an Escapism type hootenanny and Expo[footnote]when it was a thing[/footnote] was so out of my grasp it wasn't funny. :c

At least I'm in a bigger city these days for meets. I only managed to meet
Marter said:
due to a flight layover. Speaking of which, get your butt to the West Coast sometime, movies get made here. :)

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Speaking of which, get your butt to the West Coast sometime, movies get made here. :)
Huh. West coast, Canadian? Sounds familiar to the territory of this crazy bastard right here! Didn't expect someone to be near the area

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
Redlin5 said:
Speaking of which, get your butt to the West Coast sometime, movies get made here. :)
Huh. West coast, Canadian? Sounds familiar to the territory of this crazy bastard right here! Didn't expect someone to be near the area
Don't be a stranger, send a PM sometime when University isn't maddeningly busy! :)

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
You are all making me feel so guilty now for not coming back for months at a time :( I never posted that much anyway! BUT I'M SORRY GUYS! I won't leave again. I promise!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Honestly, my portal to the forums was that little Latest Threads thing on the main page. When that got deleted thanks to that Wild West thing I sort of gave up and for some unfathomable reason Reddit took over. That and life. Now that I play so many tabletop RPGs I spend all the time I used to spend on here on preparing campaigns.

But my traffic here was already reducing before all of that happened. Real insightful talks were already dying down for some town. And by the stories here it hasn't gotten any better. And honestly, growing older definitely tuned down my willingness to argue about stuff. Life's a big enough struggle as is without that.
Neonbob said:
But those kids really don't show any respect!

Oh my God. What have I become?!
Souplex said:
The lack of a "Latest threads" box.
I don't see what threads are up, so I don't go to them.
Heh seems like I'm not the only one who thought that was useful.