zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
zinho73 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
zinho73 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
zinho73 said:
Living in Brasil, I?m far enough from the servers to have guaranteed lag with an uncomfortable frequency.
Why the hell did you even buy the game then? I have literally no sympathy for you, because you spent your money on something you absolutely knew would not work very well for you.

Your complaint is just as flawed as people who say 'this game is shit because my computer can't run it properly'
I bought it because:

1. The game was translated to my language, was officially launched in my country and should work here as good as it works in the US (which, to be fair, appears to be the case, as it doesn't work well there too).

2. WOW has servers in Brasil, I had no reason to think Diablo3 would have a different treatment. But apparently Blizzard is short on money right now and cannot install servers in other locations.

3. I don't have nearly the same amount of problems playing Tera, which is an action based MMO. I thought that if Blizzard could at least replicate this quality, it would be tolerable. To be honest, I've never had so many problems to play any other game in my life, but, granted, I'm not an MMO player (just Guild Wars, 40 minutes of WOW and now Tera).

Please, the fact that the game is full of problems is Blizzard's fault. If their service was OK, I would not have any problems at all (maybe a latency a little bit higher). Since their service is bad, it is worse to me. It is as simple as that, mr. angry internet person.

Jeez...
I'm not saying Blizzard did the best job they could have, I'm saying you should have been more careful with your money, given your locale.

D3 is always online DRM, therefore if I had shit internet, I would not have bought it, simple as that.
Let me make this perfectly clear: I do not have shitty internet. I do not have any problems with any online game other than Diablo 3, but since Blizzard work is bad - I will suffer more because I'm distant.

If the service was on par with most other online games in existence, I would be fine.
Again: you should have been more careful with your money, given your locale.

Blizzard said that you may encounter some problems during the launch week, so it's up to you to make the right choice and either wait, boycott or just deal with it. Sounds like you made the wrong choice.
Dude, he served you your ass on a plate, time to eat it up and forget about it.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
EcksTeaSea said:
40-45 hours of one game in such a time is insane at least to me it seems like it. Anyone could get burned out on playing one game for all that time.
Man, I think I played 50 hours of Final Fantasy 12 on my first week. Ended up playing 150 hours. O_O

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
The problem I find (and as the game gets older by a few months other will agree) is that there are always skills that are better than other ones. D2 had this, WoW had this, D3 will have this. When everyone can have any skill at any time, it means that at Level 60, every character's skill set will be identical. What's the point?

Add to that there will be best gear for each class, and a team of Level 60 monks could be exactly the same character, down to the bone marrow.
That's a cogent argument, and I guess we'll see how it bears out. Unquestionably there are balancing issues that are going to come to light, I don't think for a second this thing has polished balance out of the box. I'm not sure allowing people to dynamically respec is a net negative, though. Leveling a SECOND Barbarian because unfortunate skill choices gimped the first is not compelling game play, nor is it a substitute for depth. Ideally you want people speccing differently because different specs suit different playstyles, not because they fucked it up the first time around and they're too lazy to change it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Oh man. Can't believe I'm still seeing people post in Diablo 3 threads trying to make up bullshit excuses for the Always-On DRM, the Auction House, etc, etc. It'd be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

I especially love the circular logic. "Diablo 3 has Always-On DRM because it's a multi-player game! And it's a multi-player game because you have to be online to play it!"

:|

Even better, I love when people use the "it stops hackers and item dupers" excuse.

First, no it doesn't. Not on the first part, anyway.

Second, I'd be willing to accept the "stops dupers" argument if it weren't for the fact that that is NOT an excuse for requiring all modes of play being online. There's no legitimate (consumer friendly) reason solo play couldn't be allowed in offline mode. Though, it's not like any other game company figured out a way to stop item duping while still allowing online AND offline play, so maybe Blizzard does have an excuse.

Oh wait... http://www.tf2.com/

Seriously people. STOP defending this bullshit; especially if you love Diablo (and by extension Blizzard). The more you accept all of this, and the more you make up excuse on behalf of Blizzard, the greater the likelihood they'll tack on more and more egregious forms of it in the future.

As I've been saying all along; and as Jim recently repeated in his latest video; if you love Diablo, you should be the one complaining the loudest.

O.T.
Totally agree with the OP. There just feels like an extreme lack of depth and variety to Diablo 3. Especially when compared to Diablo 2 or other ARPGs.

Which, of course, isn't surprising. Blizzard has made it abundantly clear Diablo 3 was trimmed down, dumb-downed, and overly simplified for the World of Warcraft crowd.

Basically, instead of crafting a true sequel to one of, if not the, greatest ARPGs, they played it safe and made a game meant to appeal to the lowest-common-denominator. It's only staying power will be suckering people in by addicting them to grinding for, and then selling, items.

It's a God damned shame, really.

[edit]
To avoid any undue rage, let it be known that I am a HUGE fan of Diablo. I still play Diablo 2 from time to time. I also eagerly awaited the release of Diablo 3. (eagerly is a vast understatement)

However, Diablo 3 not only ended up being almost the opposite of what I hoped for, it's just insulting to a long-time fan. In terms of the mediocre game design, poor writing, and the obnoxious Always-On. (and that's not even going into the absolute disregard and disdain Blizzard apparently has for the community as a whole; modding or otherwise.)

Even worse, Blizzard wants me to pay sixty bucks for it? Ha! Fat chance.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
zinho73 said:
2. WOW has servers in Brasil, I had no reason to think Diablo3 would have a different treatment. But apparently Blizzard is short on money right now and cannot install servers in other locations.
Blizz, short on money? HAH! They have enough money to pay off the U.S's debt and still not make a dent in their fortune.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Luckily WoW and D2 have respec abilities. Just in case.

But the problem lies in that in D2, there was one superior version of your class.

Amazon had JavZon
Druid had Hurridruid
Paladin had Hammer
Barb had Berserker
Sorc had Ice/Lightning
Assassin had TrapSin
Necro had Bone

These were the only builds that you could solo in Hell difficulty and survive reliably. What happened was at the end of the day, every character at Level 90-99 had the same exact gear (the best setup for those classes) and the same exact skills. And D3 has done nothing to change this, but instead encourages people to be similar.
Honestly, it's been too long since Diablo 2, so I can't remember the nuts and bolts of their respec system, but the one in most MMOs (including WoW) is designed to be somewhat punitive. You can respec your way out of a failure, but you can't respec around to try new skills or builds on for size. You're encouraged to pick something and stick with it, lest the exponentially rising respec cost send you straight to the poor house.

I agree with you about Diablo II's "one right spec" situation, which is why a similar future for Diablo III would be unsurprising in the extreme.

The loot homogenization is something of an issue. The loot has less "soul" than it did in Diablo 2, for lack of a better term. It was a problem I had with Torchlight as well.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
My problem is NO OTHER COMPANY could get away with this. None. Valves fans would get angry I think, bioware's fans would be, but blizzard gets away with it because their series is so damn popular.

As someone who's not a fan of blizzard at all, from an objective standpoint there are a huge amount of things wrong with diablo 3, and not just this DRM and RMAH nonsense. The game just seems dull.

Any other company trying to do a RMAH or online only would be shouted at, look at assassins creed 2 with ubisoft.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
One of the things I've found about these "anticipated games" is you can't critique them. The majority of the world loves these games, you loved these games, but the amount of players the series has devoted to its hivemind become an immune system that routes out and destroys anything threatening to the franchise. So many people have become submissive because they don't want everyone to think them weird for disliking Diablo. "Yea, it has problems, but just keep your mouth shut and enjoy the game they worked hard on." NO. It has issues and it being popular does not make those issues less relevant. Remember when people where calling others entitled stuck up whiners for not liking Mass Effects ending? Its the same damn thing.

Diablo 3 may be an ok game, but stop defending it like it saved your family from starvation. Its not a benevolent god that caresses you while you touch yourself. Publishers don't care about your devotion unless it brings them money. Stop it.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
I'm glad someone gifted it to me. I was never interested in it, and I don't see what all the fuss was about.

It's an average game, with stupid DRM.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Don Savik said:
One of the things I've found about these "anticipated games" is you can't critique them.
This is very true, and it causes more harm than good.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
The_Lost_King said:
zinho73 said:
Blizz, short on money? HAH! They have enough money to pay off the U.S's debt and still not make a dent in their fortune.
Oh, I know, I was being sarcastic :)

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I agree. I didn't make it nearly as far as you did though. I made it maybe 10 hours and just stopped caring. When I don't get excited about leveling up, it really irks me. The grind is just not fun like it was in Diablo II, at least for me. Maybe its because my computer barely runs it at all, but I infinitely prefer Diablo II. It's not even close.

The thing that irks me the most though is the "random dungeon" aspect of the game. Look, if I spend 30 freakin' minutes wandering around trying to figure out where to go, the next time I log in I do NOT want to do it again. Not quite sure what they were thinkin there....

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Don Savik said:
One of the things I've found about these "anticipated games" is you can't critique them. The majority of the world loves these games, you loved these games, but the amount of players the series has devoted to its hivemind become an immune system that routes out and destroys anything threatening to the franchise. So many people have become submissive because they don't want everyone to think them weird for disliking Diablo. "Yea, it has problems, but just keep your mouth shut and enjoy the game they worked hard on." NO. It has issues and it being popular does not make those issues less relevant. Remember when people where calling others entitled stuck up whiners for not liking Mass Effects ending? Its the same damn thing.

Diablo 3 may be an ok game, but stop defending it like it saved your family from starvation. Its not a benevolent god that caresses you while you touch yourself. Publishers don't care about your devotion unless it brings them money. Stop it.
This is a problem though, how you're expressing yourself. This is precisely no different than the ME3 debacle, only you're on the other side of it now. You're the one poisoning the well by applying blanket personal attacks to an entire unseen group of people. Instead of "entitled whiners", now they're part of the Blizzard fanboy hive mind. Instead of crybabies, they're corporate drones. This "us versus them" mentality is not only counterproductive as far as polite discussion goes, it's intellectually sloppy and utterly irrational.

You have to allow that some people are going to defend the game because they actually like the game. Others are going to hand wave the always online aspect because it doesn't affect them. You want the people DEFENDING the game to lay off the hyperbole? Earlier today we had someone equating the rise of DRM to the fucking Holocaust. Easily half the people I've spoken to have gone at me like a rabid dog because I refer to the DRM as an irritation that only inconveniences some, as opposed to the great evil of our time. One that we as individuals have an ethical imperative to band together and fight. I shit you not. If it sound ludicrous, it's because it is ludicrous.

You want to see a hive mind? I could go write a new post right now, and fill it with some random, fabricated negative spew about Diablo 3 or Blizzard. And I'd have a dozen people riled up and 100% behind me before the first person asked me to verify my facts. Confirmation bias and opinion polarization isn't just something that happens to other people, or only specifically to people you disagree with.

There's a middle ground to this discussion, people just hate standing in it. It's a middle ground where the DRM is restrictive and needlessly annoying, but not an analogue for the deaths of millions of people. It's a middle ground where the game isn't groundbreaking or revolutionary, but is in fact glossy and fun despite its warts. It's a middle ground where the servers have had some issues, but aside from launch day have been relatively stable, allowing many people...including myself...to play the game to completion without encountering any issues whatsoever. There are a lot of perfectly rational and compelling arguments on both sides of the ledger of this debate, and most of them are getting tossed aside in favor of petty insults and sweeping, grandiose generalizations. Presuming that everyone who disagrees with you is a dupe or a moron is a young man's vanity. If you want to lecture anyone to stop doing something, it should be that.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
You more or less hit the spot with that OP.

The worst and I mean WORST thing is that leveling isn't exiting. I mean if you develop a fast paced Arpg and it isn't fun to gain levels you've done something horribly wrong! I know what they were trying to do with this system but it's not working for me. I don't feel invested in my character, he's just a guy I put items on. I couldn't give a fuck if he levels, dies, or finds a rare, since they are usually rubbish.

The items have no character of their own. They are too small, too frequent and the colors no longer match the excitement level they have in better designed games. You pick them up, you keep walking. They sit in your inventory, barely visible with no chance of you looking at the small icons and going 'Oh that looks neat!'. It used to be a big deal in D2 when you found a unique looking weapon, now I don't even look at the pictures anymore.

The story...good god it's just horrible. The 'Meet the Butcher!' line was enough to emotionally disconnect me from the rest of the game and I think that helped me stick with it. I also don really like that you can no longer do Boss runs. I don't know, I liked that.

I've played this game a good 40-50 hours and looking back, the only thing that kept me playing was the combat and coop. Anything else more or less drives me away from having more fun.

Overall it's such a shame because the Gameplay is engaging and roaming with your buddies while skyping is awesome as ever. It's a good game but it's not a game that earns this deep affection in your heart like a D2 did. The game just lacks character.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
crazyarms33 said:
I agree. I didn't make it nearly as far as you did though. I made it maybe 10 hours and just stopped caring. When I don't get excited about leveling up, it really irks me. The grind is just not fun like it was in Diablo II, at least for me. Maybe its because my computer barely runs it at all, but I infinitely prefer Diablo II. It's not even close.

The thing that irks me the most though is the "random dungeon" aspect of the game. Look, if I spend 30 freakin' minutes wandering around trying to figure out where to go, the next time I log in I do NOT want to do it again. Not quite sure what they were thinkin there....
This is another thing that bothered me a bit. The outdoor areas are not nearly random enough to my tastes (I'm ok with indoor areas). The events are a coll idea, but it is nice to explore a different map on various playthroughs.

That said, once explored, the area should remain explored, specially due to the nature of the saving system.

But with the always-on thing I guess they were limiting what kind of personal information would be stored on their servers.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I don't feel even remotely bad about skipping it.

I will not buy always on DRM.
I will not buy boring "streamlined" gameplay, I want games that encourage me to use my brain a little.

Using the brain is fun.
Mindlessly clicking down a tunnel really isn't.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
CardinalPiggles said:
zinho73 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
zinho73 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
zinho73 said:
Living in Brasil, I?m far enough from the servers to have guaranteed lag with an uncomfortable frequency.
Why the hell did you even buy the game then? I have literally no sympathy for you, because you spent your money on something you absolutely knew would not work very well for you.

Your complaint is just as flawed as people who say 'this game is shit because my computer can't run it properly'
I bought it because:

1. The game was translated to my language, was officially launched in my country and should work here as good as it works in the US (which, to be fair, appears to be the case, as it doesn't work well there too).

3. I don't have nearly the same amount of problems playing Tera, which is an action based MMO. I thought that if Blizzard could at least replicate this quality, it would be tolerable. To be honest, I've never had so many problems to play any other game in my life, but, granted, I'm not an MMO player (just Guild Wars, 40 minutes of WOW and now Tera).

Please, the fact that the game is full of problems is Blizzard's fault. If their service was OK, I would not have any problems at all (maybe a latency a little bit higher). Since their service is bad, it is worse to me. It is as simple as that, mr. angry internet person.

Jeez...
I'm not saying Blizzard did the best job they could have, I'm saying you should have been more careful with your money, given your locale.

D3 is always online DRM, therefore if I had shit internet, I would not have bought it, simple as that.
Let me make this perfectly clear: I do not have shitty internet. I do not have any problems with any online game other than Diablo 3, but since Blizzard work is bad - I will suffer more because I'm distant.

If the service was on par with most other online games in existence, I would be fine.
Again: you should have been more careful with your money, given your locale.

Blizzard said that you may encounter some problems during the launch week, so it's up to you to make the right choice and either wait, boycott or just deal with it. Sounds like you made the wrong choice.
The game was released in his country, an official release. He has every right to expect it to function within his country.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Zenn3k said:
I don't feel even remotely bad about skipping it.

I will not buy always on DRM.
I will not buy boring "streamlined" gameplay, I want games that encourage me to use my brain a little.

Using the brain is fun.
Mindlessly clicking down a tunnel really isn't.
This is kind of how I feel. I was interested until I saw the 'always online' thing, and how Blizzard was pretty open about the single-player (online) experience being lacklustre. To their credit, they didn't exactly *hide* the disadvantages they were (from my perspective) loading into their game. I am sorry for the people who were in it for the online play anyway, though, because they can legitimately expect Blizzard to actually provide and maintain the online service.

I'm not against the occasional mindless clicking down a corridor-fest, but I'm also not sure I want to pay NZ$100 for the privilege, especially given the other disadvantages. Mindless slaughter is cathartic, but honestly I have DW5 for that...or even TR: Guardian of Light if I want an isometric, PC version.