"Smart Match" Smartly Matches You Against Other Xbox One Gamers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

An overhaul of Xbox Live includes a brand new matchmaking system, and a new generation of achievements.

Xbox 360's matchmaking system, TrueSkill, used "skill level" as its only algorithm to match Xbox live gamers against each other. "Smart Match" is the Xbox One's Completely reengineered matchmaking system, that uses advanced algorithms to pair players based on skill, language, and now reputation. The matchmaking by reputation is probably the most significant change, as it will now try to match you with players who you actually enjoyed playing with in the past.

Furthermore, you no longer have to wait in lobbies while a match is found. Players can play a game, watch TV, or listen to music while the matchmaking system works in the background. Microsoft also claims that thanks to "the power of the cloud your favorite matches are always running behind the scenes, so you can quickly find the people you like to play with most." The wording on this statement is a bit iffy, but it sounds as if Xbox One games will be constantly performing matchmaking no matter what you are doing, so when you actually want to go ahead and play multi-player, it will have some matches already lined up for you.

Also revealed was the new achievement system for Xbox One. Microsoft is largely credited with making gaming "cheevos" a standard feature that pretty much accompany games on every platform these days. Its now looking to revamp the system for its new console.

"Xbox One's all new achievements system has richer detail and spans across your games and experiences, which means achievements are no longer confined to a single game," said Microsoft. New achievements can now be added to games dynamically at any time, whereas previously only the addition of DLC packs could increase the achievement count. Achievements will also detail not only when players achieved them, but how they achieved them.

Source: Xbox One [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/how-it-games?xr=shellnav]

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
uses advanced algorithms to pair players based on skill, language, and now reputation.
When you say 'language', do you mean it pairs people who speak in the same tongue or it pairs people based on the kind of obscenities they spew over their headset mic?

Because if it is the latter, this is the first good thing I have heard about the Xbone.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Also revealed was the new achievement system for Xbox One. Microsoft is largely "credited" with making gaming cheevos a standard feature that pretty much accompany games on every platform these days. Its now looking to revamp the system for its new console
Corrected.

If it's (partly) reputation based then it can be cheesed; depends how big a part of it that is I guess.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
I'm sorry, but that Smart Match system, with all the background matchmaking and match line-ups, is a really really specific sounding system. Devs will have to create their multiplayer around it, not with it. It won't get used outside of specially created league tournaments and first-party tech dem----errrmmmm, I mean games. It's the very definition of a solution looking for a problem, it's innovation for innovation's sake.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
GenGenners said:
I'm sorry, but that Smart Match system, with all the background matchmaking and match line-ups, is a really really specific sounding system. Devs will have to create their multiplayer around it, not with it. It won't get used outside of specially created league tournaments and first-party tech dem----errrmmmm, I mean games. It's the very definition of a solution looking for a problem, it's innovation for innovation's sake.
not only that but I bet it eats up bandwith like a ************.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Steven Bogos said:
uses advanced algorithms to pair players based on skill, language, and now reputation.
When you say 'language', do you mean it pairs people who speak in the same tongue or it pairs people based on the kind of obscenities they spew over their headset mic?

Honestly, I have no clue. I just wanted to us that video. Though it really would be interesting if that's what it does. Back when I used to play stuff on live, it wasn't exactly the most enjoyable experiences.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
Hell considering how abused the reputation system is already, what with people using any reason to give other players a bad rep I don't see this system being all that effective.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Azaraxzealot said:
GenGenners said:
I think we've all realised by now that lack of bandwidth is a non-issue in the eyes of next-gen developers.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
GenGenners said:
Azaraxzealot said:
GenGenners said:
I think we've all realised by now that lack of bandwidth is a non-issue in the eyes of next-gen developers.
Well at least sony has the excuse of forgetting they aren't in japan. Microsoft has no such alibi. It's too bad Xbox 360s have such a limited lifespan, since there's still plenty of fun to be had with that one though they will soon start becoming a rarity in favor of this.... "improved" console.

Aug 1, 2010
I feel like this console is almost literally made out of buzzwords.

It's ridiculous. This entire thing can be summed up in:
Basically the same matching system as the 360. You can do stuff while it's finding a match. Achievements can be added at any time.

And that's it. Everything else is utterly meaningless.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Furthermore, you no longer have to wait in lobbies while a match is found. Players can play a game, watch TV, or listen to music while the matchmaking system works in the background.
Oh boy. I can't wait to be put on a team with the guy who left to make dinner, the idiot who decided they would rather keep watching TV, and the person who insists on waiting for whatever song he started playing to finish.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
MisterColeman said:
Steven Bogos said:
Furthermore, you no longer have to wait in lobbies while a match is found. Players can play a game, watch TV, or listen to music while the matchmaking system works in the background.
Oh boy. I can't wait to be put on a team with the guy who left to make dinner, the idiot who decided they would rather keep watching TV, and the person who insists on waiting for whatever song he started playing to finish.
This. Seriously, this stuff never works. Automatic match-making has no good track record whatsoever. We're not at that stage to hook all the right people up together on a team. They can try, and I won't say it WON'T succeed because anything is possible.. But I mean, come on, you can see where I'm coming from right? Look at all the decisions that came before this. Look at the ENTIRE thing as a whole. Do you really think THIS will be the one thing they will get right? I seriously doubt it, and I'll be VERY surprised if it has satisfactory functionality.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Steven Bogos said:

Because if it is the latter, this is the first good thing I have heard about the Xbone.
Exactly. If the new Xbox keeps the spewers of various racist/sexist/homophobic obscenities all together in a proper place, meaning a place far away from me, then that would clearly be the most significant achievement of this generation. However, I do not think Microsoft is actually that smart, nor do they seem particularly interested in things like poetic justice.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Steven Bogos said:

Xbox 360's matchmaking system, TrueSkill, used "skill level" as its only algorithm to match Xbox live gamers against each other. "Smart Match" is the Xbox One's Completely reengineered matchmaking system, that uses advanced algorithms to pair players based on skill, language, and now reputation.
Well, what about the number of people whose reps are ruined by try-hards and butt-hurts? Like me for instance. My rep is in the toilet based on being "too aggressive" and "bad language". I don't have a mic, how can I say something that offends them?
Also, games already had a matchmaking thing to cover all those except reputation, which is an extremely poor system at best in and off itself.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
also do other stuff whiel match is being searched for? thats the worst possible thing. if i wanted to do other stuff i woudl be doing them. or do they mean match searching will take so long i can watch a movie?

Ryan Hughes said:
Exactly. If the new Xbox keeps the spewers of various racist/sexist/homophobic obscenities all together in a proper place, meaning a place far away from me, then that would clearly be the most significant achievement of this generation. However, I do not think Microsoft is actually that smart, nor do they seem particularly interested in things like poetic justice.
you mean, this new matchmaknig tool, if working correctly, will make sure you play alone?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Achievements will also detail not only when players achieved them, but how they achieved them.
...By doing what the achievement said? I don't understnad what they mean by this, is there some other way of getting an achievement?

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
kailus13 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Achievements will also detail not only when players achieved them, but how they achieved them.
...By doing what the achievement said? I don't understnad what they mean by this, is there some other way of getting an achievement?
You do not understand because there is nothing to wrong with you. There is nothing to understand in that sentence it is going in a direct loop, and it is what the current system does.....

It is all double talk!

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
"The matchmaking by reputation is probably the most significant change, as it will now try to match you with players who you actually enjoyed playing with in the past."

Yeah, that's not how the reputation system for the 360 works. At all. I have a near 70% negative reputation score on my XBL account due to being "aggressive" in multiplayer. Which equates to "killed some dude(tte) better than they killed me." I cannot see the rep system on the new service being any different than it is now, unless they remove negative scoring completely. Otherwise, a lot of people are going to get stuck playing with the famous XBL shitheads and not the good players.