Smash Bros. Director Justifies New Character Choices

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Zhukov said:
Wait... I thought that having the Wii Fit Trainer in there was Yahtzee's joke.

They actually did that?

SSB fans, WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
I'm sorry what was that?

I can't hear you over the sound of my mega buster

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Double A said:
Luminous_Umbra said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Maybe let Ganondorf actually, ya know, USE his sword?
Exactly what I was thinking, although it would also be nice if he used his magic for something other than wrapping around his feet and hands to hit people with.
So, what, Ganondorf as a sort of fusion between Link and Zelda's movepools (at least cosmetically)?

Yeah, I could go for that.
Pretty much that. That would be awesome imo

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
What's with people thinking the Wii Fit Trainer was a joke? Has nobody noticed the complete flood of Wii Fit Trainer fan art? [http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wii-fit-trainer/photos]

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
rasputin0009 said:
Didn't want to bring Mewtwo back? Or an extra Fire Emblem character? Or Toad? Or any other beloved character? Wii Fit Trainer instead? I'm sure that bundle of personality will make all of her fans scream with joy.
you know they probably still have more characters to announce, I mean they didn't announce all of brawls new characters in one go and generally game companies release news slowly to build up hype.

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
Zhukov said:
Wait... I thought that having the Wii Fit Trainer in there was Yahtzee's joke.

They actually did that?

SSB fans, WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Wii Fit Trainer is our GOD! Seriously, though, I plan as making her my main from what I've seen of her fighting style.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Honestly, at this point, whatever they do, I just hope they take that ****ing random tripping out.
Hi friend! Thanks for commenting on my post. Sakurai has actually confirmed that random tripping has been removed [http://kotaku.com/no-more-tripping-in-the-new-smash-bros-513187770] from the new smash bros!

CriticalMiss said:
So is Mega Man going to have some kind of Kirby-like ability to steal other characters moves? It is mentioned about his ability to gain new moves from defeating bosses, but will he just be given a selection from his past games to use off the bat or will he have to gain them in combat by beating other people?
Thanks for commenting! A recent developer direct video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZyhdkfN6I] showed that Mega Man will have a selection of powers from the past games at his disposal!
And I believe it was evidenced by one of the trailers showing him using Metal Man's disc attack and Leaf(?) Man's leaf shield.

Which does raise the question, are all his attacks (aside from the dog) from Mega Man 2?

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Double A said:
Luminous_Umbra said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Maybe let Ganondorf actually, ya know, USE his sword?
Exactly what I was thinking, although it would also be nice if he used his magic for something other than wrapping around his feet and hands to hit people with.
So, what, Ganondorf as a sort of fusion between Link and Zelda's movepools (at least cosmetically)?

Yeah, I could go for that.
As much as it pains me, I think one of the characters to go is Ike which leaves his moveset open and I think most Ike's moves would fit Ganondorf perfectly (They're even the same weight-class)

I'm actually surprised at how many think Wii Fit Trainer is too weird for the game, my first reaction was that besides looking like Slendermans sporty sister she was rather plain (But the video showed that she have potential)

And I'm quite sure Luigi is safe, after all they did declare this the year of Luigi

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Kamille Bidan said:
Nazulu said:
Kamille Bidan said:
luvd1 said:
This is funny, I was just watching zero punctuation last night. Just quickly draw a stick figure Nintendo then look yourself in the eye in a mirror and tell yourself it's all ok.
They already did that with Mr Game and Watch.
Mr. GaW was an awesome call back. I owned many of his games before I received the Game Boy and they were much fun.
Cool or not, Mr Game & Watch was basically a stick-man.
Yes and no. He still had his own style and characteristics as minimalistic as it may seem, along with the many memorable jobs he had to do.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
While I'm probably going to still main the Mewtwo/Lucario type character, I know I'm gonna play as the Wii Fit Trainer a lot. It's amazing. (She didn't even have to bribe her way in. All of the women in games before this are rich.)

demonjazz said:
Dark Knifer said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Whatever they do, I just hope they take that ****ing random tripping out.
They did that
... Am I the only one who actually thought the random tripping was a good addition?
Probably not. But most people hated it.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
They should have included Mega Man X as well.
His Down+B could be an armor change like Zelda's transformation.
Fourth Armor, Falcon Armor, Gaia Armor, Blade Armor, Glide Armor, Ultimate Armor and so on.
They have quite a selection here and thus quite a few options to make another interesting and fun character. X is pretty cool but unfortunately he his hardly getting any love from anyone these days. Maybe Nintendo can change that by including him via dlc.

Roger

Apr 28, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
So is Mega Man going to have some kind of Kirby-like ability to steal other characters moves? It is mentioned about his ability to gain new moves from defeating bosses, but will he just be given a selection from his past games to use off the bat or will he have to gain them in combat by beating other people?
I think he more means how Megaman has a wide variety of powers he's used in all his games, and meanwhile all Capcom could come up with MvC was "punch, kick, and make things up".

Vyress said:
They should have included Mega Man X as well.
His Down+B could be an armor change like Zelda's transformation.
Fourth Armor, Falcon Armor, Gaia Armor, Blade Armor, Glide Armor, Ultimate Armor and so on.
They have quite a selection here and thus quite a few options to make another interesting and fun character. X is pretty cool but unfortunately he his hardly getting any love from anyone these days. Maybe Nintendo can change that by including him via dlc.
Eh, X doesn't offer anything good. Terrible character from a terrible series.
Nevermind the whole "make things DLC" idea. I'd rather get a whole game.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Roger said:
Eh, X doesn't offer anything good. Terrible character from a terrible series.
Nevermind the whole "make things DLC" idea. I'd rather get a whole game.
Mega Man X is an overall improvement on the original Mega Man series, storywise and in overall architecture. This dude explains it pretty nicely. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM] If you don't like it that's your problem. Doesn't make it terrible though. You can dislike chocolate or tomatoes as well. Won't make those terrible either. Expand on your reasons for disliking something and you may be able to make a point. At this state, it's just ranting/trolling.
Well you say that Mega Man X offers nothing good. I'd like to know what Mega Man offers, that Mega Man X doesn't. X can do anything Mega Man can do, and more. Much more. And we do have Link and Young/Toon Link in Smash already, I hardly see a problem of having the young and adult version of Mega Man in there as well. And Young/Toon Link doesn't add anything new to the table. It's essentially the same character with different weight ratio and altered A attacks. X and Mega Man differ more than that, in special weapons and additional features such as armor or abilities.

The DLC thing was mentioned because the current list of new characters seems to be already set. Since they already teased them on E3 I doubt there are any other new characters in Smash 4. I remember back then when I unlocked stuff in Smash Melee that I was genuinely surprised by the characters that were included in the game. Granted, I read less about games as opposed to just playing them unlike these days but I don't remember new characters being teased as much - if at all - back then for Smash Melee. So, since the new characters for Smash 4 have already been revealed, I doubt there are any more new ones other than the ones shown on E3 and Nintendo Direct, especially since they made a huge deal out of it. This means the only other way of adding new characters at this point would be DLC, unless they make a new game for 1 or 2 characters which hardly makes sense.

And there actually is DLC that adds stuff to whole, complete games as opposed to filling holes in an incomplete mess. Adding a character that has initially not been considered after 1 year or so in a game which is being made once every decade is different from locked on-disc content that you need to pay for via dlc (I look at you Capcom).