Smegging Hell! Here's the Poster for Red Dwarf X

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Tanis said:
What's next? Babylon 5 and Lexx?
I dunno what a Lexx is, but for any rumors of a new incarnation of B5, I must refer you to the "Not Going to Happen" file. The central conflict took at least 5 years to unfold. Once that was resolved, the only tension that remained was in the new captain's exercise machine. The remaining milleu wasn't particularly interesting.

I'd rather have a Blake's 7 reboot, than suffer through season 1 of a show where the writers don't understand their characters yet. Yes, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I have to admit that I was disappointed by the trailer... Here's hoping the rest of the series lives up to the originals though.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Woo hoo! :D

I've recently rewatched the entire series in anticipation for the new series, and I seem to have forgotten how funny it was! Can't wait!

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
I'm just gonna go out and say it - Chris Barrie has not aged gracefully if that poster's anything to go by. After subjecting myself to horrible Back to Earth (which I guess now counts as series 9?), I don't think I'm even going to bother with this. If I'm really, really bored I might take a peek at one episode, but for now I'm just going to find solace in the fact that there are 6 perfectly fine series I can rewatch with great fondness, which means that (for the time being) most of Red Dwarf is still more entertaining than Rimmer's infamous Risk story.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
I can see Red Dwarf in the background there, are they going back to using models?

That would be kinda cool.

In any case I can't imagine this new series being any worse than series eight so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
King Billi said:
I can see Red Dwarf in the background there, are they going back to using models?

That would be kinda cool.

In any case I can't imagine this new series being any worse than series eight so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.
I saw a model posted on their facebook page, so I'm guessing yes.

Here's hoping it's better than "Back to earth".

Also, forget lister, Rimmer's getting on a bit, and that should canonically be impossible seeing as he's a Hologram.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Going by the look of things this will be series seven for me as anything after the sixth was... well, to be harsh; fucking shit.

Squilookle said:
But no Kochanski? Whaa? Chloe Anett was the neurotic bomb in series 7! Actually call me crazy but VII was my favourite series all round.
You. You are the problem with the world! Seek medical help. This [http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Kristine_Kochanski_%28Series_I%29] is the real Korchanski.

:p

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Doclector said:
Also, forget lister, Rimmer's getting on a bit, and that should canonically be impossible seeing as he's a Hologram.
Aged by Holly to make Lister feel more comfortable with his own humanity?

No idea. Doesn't really matter, it's cheese!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Quiotu said:
Now... here's something that's bothering me.

Was there a season 9? Or do they just consider Back To Earth as the 9th season?

I haven't seen anything else other than Season 8 and Back To Earth.
quick see something else, any other series, 8 was shocking and no-one (probably including everyone involved in the making of it) acknowledges Back to Earth!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
As long the new series is good than all is well. (I'm really hoping that it's will be good!)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
GoaThief said:
Doclector said:
Aged by Holly to make Lister feel more comfortable with his own humanity?

No idea. Doesn't really matter, it's cheese!
I actually hope that's true now, just to see Rimmer's reaction.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Ace Rimmer better make an appearance. That would be so great.

"What have you been up to sir?"
"Nothing much, Saved a couple of Galaxies, Overthrew a few dictatorships and had my highlights done."

Smaoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
"The trailer you are trying to watch can't accessed from your location."

Heaven's forbid I be allowed to submit myself to advertising outside my geographic region! I guess I shan't be watching this series now!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
:( Cat looks near dead there! Poor Danny John-Jules... talking of Danny John-Jules... when is there going to be a new Gex game!? I miss his quips!

OT: Am looking forward to this... hopefully they can make it the last series and then round it off nicely... :)
Not give a vicar of Dibly ending though... that could have been so much more! :/

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
/facepalm

Oh god why.

This was such a series of it's time... just let it die with dignity. :(
Pffft, too late for that. The latter half of series 8 and the entirety of series 9 already killed Red Dwarf, desecrated the corpse, and danced on the grave.

We're in the weird position of Red Dwarf not being able to possibly get any shitter if it tried. So, although reassembling an ageing cast to milk a few more drops out of a thoroughly jumped-the-shark franchise would in any other circumstances be a bad idea, in this case I think they have an odds-on chance of actually pulling it off. In other words, there's nothing to lose.

And if all else fails, we'll still have those glorious first 6 seasons, and we can drink ourselves into a stupor trying to forget what came after.

Smeg!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TimeLord said:
Rimmer: "Do you think it's because the sub-space conduits have locked with the transponder calibrations and caused a major tachyon surge that has overloaded the time matrix?"
Kryten: "Ah, no, sir. I've just been jabbing it too hard."

If there are more fantastic lines like that then this series is going to be as good as the old ones
Yeah, Red Dwarf had some brilliant lines.

"Twice in one lifetime? I'm turning into Hugh Hefner!"

Ace: "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Lister: "And don't confuse Rimmer with a book. For starters, a book's got a spine."

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
If it's going back to its roots in earlier seasons (not 1) great, but season 7 I really didn't like. 8 had it's fun moments, usually interactions between lister/rimmer and the captain. So, here's hoping that Red Dwarf will be revitalized.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Tanis said:
What's next?

Babylon 5 and Lexx?
Weeeell, i'm of the opinion that they should start shoveling money into an empty ware house with a camera in it that is being surveiled by JM Straczynski and just keep going until he has a sufficient budget allocated.

But i do not think that this heralds the great return of TV sci-fi, unless it's a HUGE success that is, then everyone will jump of zombies and start humping the sci fi table again.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Binnsyboy said:
TimeLord said:
Rimmer: "Do you think it's because the sub-space conduits have locked with the transponder calibrations and caused a major tachyon surge that has overloaded the time matrix?"
Kryten: "Ah, no, sir. I've just been jabbing it too hard."

If there are more fantastic lines like that then this series is going to be as good as the old ones
Yeah, Red Dwarf had some brilliant lines.

"Twice in one lifetime? I'm turning into Hugh Hefner!"

Ace: "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Lister: "And don't confuse Rimmer with a book. For starters, a book's got a spine."
i hope that the new series continues the great writ....the comedy of the first series.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
/facepalm

Oh god why.

This was such a series of it's time... just let it die with dignity. :(
the last series and the return to earth took all that already . this is a shot at redemption!

and for the record the first 5 series were better sci fi than doctor who and a damn funny comedy to boot.