SNES Classic. Once again, no one can get it

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The SNES classic came out today. Guess what's already out of stock? After all that build up of Nintendo promising that this time would be different...absolutely fuck all has changed. Amazon? Sold out (unless you feel comfortable paying two hundred dollars for an eighty dollar machine.) Best Buy? Sold out. Walmart? Can't even find anything on it being there. Ebay? Well at the time of writing, that has the best deal with 155 bucks. That' s the situation we're in. The "best deal" is nearly twice the asking price of the system.

Jesus Fucking Christ Nintendo, do you just hate money? Or do you get some kind of sexual thrill out of dangling something people want right in front of them?

Seriously, the only way this could possibly make sense is that all the scalpers selling their SNES classics on Ebay secretly work for Nintendo.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
erttheking said:
Seriously, the only way this could possibly make sense is that all the scalpers selling their SNES classics on Ebay secretly work for Nintendo.
You know what, that really wouldn't surprise me.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
My store had sixty seven in stock. That right there is a MASSIVE improvement of the ten NES Classics that we got throughout the entire run. The Best Buy that my friend works at had over 100 in stock.

So yeah, Nintendo did to better this time. Everyone who was lined up outside my store before it opened was able to get one. Granted, they were all gone within half an hour, but it was better. And odds are, we will be getting more in stock, much more often than the NES. So I'm going to hold off judgement for the time being and say that, at least at brick and mortar stores, they've done better. We will see if this continues though.

I think online has such a shortage problem because EVERYONE goes to online sites to get theirs. You're not competing with just people in your area. You're competing with people in your entire country. Harder to get one.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
By all accounts, people who wanted to be there at store opening to get one got one just fine. However the units did sell out so if you overslept or have a job, you are basically SOL for the moment. Let's hope they follow through with quick restocks.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I sympathize with your frustration, seeing how I felt the same with the NES Classic.
And FUCK Nintendo for all this bullshit manufactured scarcity rigmarole.

That said, my SNES Classic arrived today, so I'm pretty happy right now. My fianc? discovered a restock at a major retailer a couple of months back, so we capitalized on that incredible stroke of luck.
Seeing how I'm the big gamer of the household and she was so on top of the situation to actually be able to snag one of these rare things, she has openly resolved to never stop feeling smug about that. ^^

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Considering how many units Nintendo is manufacturing and shipping out, and how fast they're selling out, there must be Classic Minis bursting out of people's chimneys by now.

Right?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Man, I feel like I shouldn't have gone drinking last night since the stores got a bunch more. I literally used it as an excuse to not go out hunting one.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Does Nintendo hate money? Of course not.
Does Nintendo have a terminal case of inertia that afflicts a lot of other Japanese companies? Most assuredly.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
stores have been given extra stock where i live that weren't avaliable for preorder.

where i live you can actually just walk in and buy one. at least at the moment you can.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack. That's more than the local Walmart got total of the NES classic.

Maybe if you weren't looking exclusively online you wouldn't be having a problem.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
asinann said:
I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack. That's more than the local Walmart got total of the NES classic.

Maybe if you weren't looking exclusively online you wouldn't be having a problem.
nah nah man. OP can't find one so things all around the world are EXACTLY the same as last time.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
There were 100 of them at the Target that I went to and 50 people in line.
They did sell out, but anyone who really cared was able to get one with minimal hassle. You could waltz right in there and get one at 8:30.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
My store had sixty seven in stock.
asinann said:
I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack.
gsilver said:
Pretty much proof that OP looked in all the wrong places. MANY people will online order these days for convenience, so of course it's gonna sell out everywhere. If you actually go to a store you probably would've found plenty. It's like how people keep whining about there being no Switches anywhere. I dunno what the situation is everywhere else, but everywhere I've gone to I've seen plenty in all stores like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. And not just in my town, but several others, and I live in a small town too.

Sounds like OP just wants to yell at Nintendo for a day one sellout and scream "SEE?! IT'S THE SAME AS LAST TIME!" all while ignoring that the stock for the thing was a lot stronger than before. It sold out nearly as fast, but at least more people got it this time around. What do you expect them to do? Ship out 10 million all at once?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Elvis Starburst said:
More likely that there are exceptions to the rule, but that they do not exactly disprove the rule. It would be more logical to see something repeated and stated that a repeated thing is happening again because prior experience would call that the safe bet. Even with exceptions as noted (though possibly embellished), it still proves that an unstable and slipshod business plan that refuses to supply things properly is in use. In order for the OP to be wrong, most of the country would have to be properly supplied with Sness Classics, or at least half to prove that Nintendo is actually trying. These are not complicated instruments. They can produce them, supply them, and make the lucrative monies, but they don't. OP is yelling at Nintendo for being a dick. No more, no less.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Seems like they did indeed produce more but even if stores are getting a hundred, if they are selling out quickly and getting no new stock, they are still under-supplying them. Even if it is by less than last time.

It seems like a step in the right direction but I feel as though this will still end up being of little solace to those who don't have the time or ability to just wait around for their local Best Buy to open. Some of us have jobs or familial obligations, after all..

Give it a couple weeks and we'll see for sure if things have really improved or not. If shops start getting stock with somewhat regularity we can maybe then say they got it right.

EDIT: and it would have been really nice if eBay had stuck to their guns and just eliminated preorders altogether. Scalpers are part of why prices get driven up. There probably would have been no takers this time except it was basically impossible to gauge if stores would sell out or not upon release since all Nintendo gave were vague promises to make more, which could mean fucking anything. And we all know how reliable promises from video game companies are anyhow.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Chewster said:
It seems like a step in the right direction but I feel as though this will still end up being of little solace to those who don't have the time or ability to just wait around for their local Best Buy to open. Some of us have jobs or familial obligations, after all..
What should they expect Nintendo to cater their every single whim now or something?

it's not Nintendo's job to solve every one of their consumers miniscule problems. lots of us have full time jobs too. nor do we have time to go sit in front of a retail store at 5:00am in the morning, but somehow we still manage to get these limited edition items despite having jobs and family obligations.

that's just a poor excuse people use when they don't bother to put the time or the effort into getting these highly sought after items. to those people i say "tough luck".

Chewster said:
Give it a couple weeks and we'll see for sure if things have really improved or not. If shops start getting stock with somewhat regularity we can maybe then say they got it right.
Why should we? Why should we give it a couple of weeks?
when the NES Mini launch Nintendo underestimated just how much people would actually want that thing and it was pretty much impossible for people around the globe to get an NES Mini on day one.

as several people in here have already been saying, stock is still selling out, but it definitely has been much easier to walk into a store and find stock of the SNES mini on Day one this time so that in itself is already literally an improvement over the situation that happened last year.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
erttheking said:
The SNES classic came out today. Guess what's already out of stock? After all that build up of Nintendo promising that this time would be different...absolutely fuck all has changed. Amazon? Sold out (unless you feel comfortable paying two hundred dollars for an eighty dollar machine.) Best Buy? Sold out. Walmart? Can't even find anything on it being there. Ebay? Well at the time of writing, that has the best deal with 155 bucks. That' s the situation we're in. The "best deal" is nearly twice the asking price of the system.

Jesus Fucking Christ Nintendo, do you just hate money? Or do you get some kind of sexual thrill out of dangling something people want right in front of them?

Where do you live? There's a rumor that store companies are limiting stock on systems in poorer areas to prevent theft and loss.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
asinann said:

Oh yes, because when I cited Wallmart and Best Buy, I totally wasn't checking local stores.

Don't assume.
Yoshi178 said:
asinann said:

nah nah man. OP can't find one so things all around the world are EXACTLY the same as last time.
That goes double for you.
Elvis Starburst said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
My store had sixty seven in stock.
asinann said:
I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack.
gsilver said:
Pretty much proof that OP looked in all the wrong places. MANY people will online order these days for convenience, so of course it's gonna sell out everywhere. If you actually go to a store you probably would've found plenty. It's like how people keep whining about there being no Switches anywhere. I dunno what the situation is everywhere else, but everywhere I've gone to I've seen plenty in all stores like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. And not just in my town, but several others, and I live in a small town too.

Sounds like OP just wants to yell at Nintendo for a day one sellout and scream "SEE?! IT'S THE SAME AS LAST TIME!" all while ignoring that the stock for the thing was a lot stronger than before. It sold out nearly as fast, but at least more people got it this time around. What do you expect them to do? Ship out 10 million all at once?
And thrice for you. I also checked local stores for a Switch and I couldn't find that either. The retailers I asked even said that they had a history of Nintendo under supplying them. Maybe it's a New England thing, but Nintendo sucks at stocking here.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
I think that, after the flop that was the Wii U, Nintendo is cautious about making too many units, just in case they don't sell.
Their current model seems to be to make some, wait until they sell out and then make more.
I don't blame them, the hardware business is very unpredictable, better safe than sorry.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Amiibos, mini NES, mini SNES.

Once is an event, twice is a coincidence, thrice is a pattern.

It seems to me that Nintendo believes manufactured scarcity is equal to hype. "They really want our products! That's a good thing!"