SNES classic

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
CritialGaming said:
WeepingAngels said:
It's true but there is more to it than that. Nintendo saves money by being ultra conservative with manufacturing and not doing proper market research and I believe that is where this scarcity usually comes from. Nintendo fans defending them and also begging for more of the same is only encouraging Nintendo to keep it up.

I thought earlier you said:
nintendo fans are *the type* that will support all stupid decisions
So why are we disagreeing now that Nintendo fans are partially to blame for Nintendo's continued anti-consumer behavior?
I understand manufacturing cost, and I don't blame Nintendo for doing a conservative number of the consoles. But once the things sold out in seconds, any reasonable business would produce more. But Nintendo doesn't (at least not for Amiibos and the Classics), they just stop making them.

Think of it this way, if I make a product that I'm unsure that will sell it is reasonable that I'll only make a limited number of them. Say 10,000. But if that product sells out almost instantly and people clammor for me to make more, I wouldn't shake my head and say no. I'd make more.

Why sell 10,000 units when I can sell 100,000 units? 250,000?

Would you like a million dollars or ten million dollars?

THAT! is what doesn't make sense to me. They clearly have the production capability, so that isn't an excuse. It isn't parts, it isn't even production cost. There is literally NO REASON to have not made more.

And I can promise you. IF they do an SNES version, it will be just as rare. Not only that but depending on the games they put on the system, it might even have a HIGHER demand. I mean if they stuck Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, on this thing. I'd pay 50 bucks just for that. Nevermind any other titles they put on it.
Well in truth, anyone with eyes and an internet connection could see the excitement and demand for the NES Classic when it was announced. Nintendo literally had no excuse to manufacture so few unless they did no market research at all. Like you said too, once even Nintendo couldn't ignore the demand they still didn't put any real effort into meeting demand. They are 80% to blame but the people who defend them and ask them to repeat this disaster with another Classic mini system are to blame too.

I would want a SNES Classic under normal circumstances but 1) After the way they treated consumers with the NES Classic, I don't want one now. 2) Even if I still wanted one, it isn't worth the frustration of trying to find one.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
BaldursGateTemple said:
WeepingAngels said:
CritialGaming said:
WeepingAngels said:
CritialGaming said:
Well actually I do, I understand that Nintendo has many people by the balls, and if those people want to get the games they love, they have to suck nintendo off, or nintendo wont release anything. Holding your fans hostage is not a good look for a company.
First of all, I didn't call anyone an SJW, I just said 'If you are one and about to jump on the Trump hate train then I am out'. I just don't care enough about Trump to have a meaningful or interesting debate. I guess it's kinda nice though that calling someone an SJW is officially (according to Escapist mods) an insult.

OT: Nintendo doesn't have anyone by the balls who doesn't choose to be 'had'. Every game they are likely to release on an official emulator like the NES/SNES Classics is available on one of the Virtual Consoles. If fans don't want to go that route than go to a retro store (or online) and get the real carts. Nintendo has no one by the balls but they are often anti-consumer with all the artificial scarcity BS. Nintendo is 80% to blame and those fans who think they have to have Nintendo things are the other 20% of the blame. It's like a thief (80%) who breaks into unlocked cars and then people who defend the thief because the cars were unlocked (20%). Both are to blame for the thief's continued behavior.
But we aren't talking about theivary here. We are talking about people literally telling Nintendo, "Hey we wanna buy these things from you, please make them." And Nintendo going, "Nah, money is stupid and we hate it."
It's true but there is more to it than that. Nintendo saves money by being ultra conservative with manufacturing and not doing proper market research and I believe that is where this scarcity usually comes from. Nintendo fans defending them and also begging for more of the same is only encouraging Nintendo to keep it up.

I thought earlier you said:
nintendo fans are *the type* that will support all stupid decisions
So why are we disagreeing now that Nintendo fans are partially to blame for Nintendo's continued anti-consumer behavior?
I don't understand why Nintendo denies people to give them free money. It doesn't make business sense to me. I would've gladly bought an NES Classic if they produced enough of them no question. It's like a game that Nintendo is playing, a very annoying one at that. It makes people care about them less and less.
Maybe if Nintendo would tell us why. Maybe it was because the machine was hacked but then why not patch the holes on newer models. If they are making an SNES Classic then surely they are capable of patching the hole.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
1) After the way they treated consumers with the NES Classic, I don't want one now. 2) Even if I still wanted one, it isn't worth the frustration of trying to find one.
or you could always just preorder it like a normal person who wants one would.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
Has it become normal to pre-order the products you want making it harder for people to walk into a store and buy one? I am not a fan of pre-order culture. If that's the new normal, I'm out.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
Yoshi178 said:
Has it become normal to pre-order the products you want making it harder for people to walk into a store and buy one? I am not a fan of pre-order culture. If that's the new normal, I'm out.
do you always sulk when companies put out limited run items and you miss out on them?

NES mini was only ever meant to be a limited edition item. it was never intended to be a mass produced item. hell we're lucky we even got the restocks they gave us in the first place

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
Yoshi178 said:
do you always sulk when companies put out limited run items and you miss out on them?
No, do you pre-order everything?
pretty much yeah so i have everything i want paid off early and so i don't miss out on anything.

hell Fire Emblem Echoes limited edition pre-orders ran out within a day here

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
pretty much yeah so i have everything paid off early and so i don't miss out on anything.

To each his own but Fire Emblem Echoes limited edition is just a special edition. If you prefer to buy things after release and/or in stores, you can easily get the standard edition. Not really comparable to a piece of hardware that you have to pre-order or you can't get it at all. Also, it wasn't called the NES Classic Mini Limited Edition. I know that Nintendo said that it was intended to be limited but it wasn't obvious to most people and Nintendo never said it before release and did wait until it was discontinued to tell us.

I have no problem with special editions that are limited and therefore sell out with pre-orders (outside of disliking pre-orders in general) but a standard edition being easily available makes all the difference. Besides, let's not pretend that Nintendo tried the best they could to meet demand, they didn't.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
Yoshi178 said:
pretty much yeah so i have everything paid off early and so i don't miss out on anything.

To each his own but Fire Emblem Echoes limited edition is just a special edition. If you prefer to buy things after release and/or in stores, you can easily get the standard edition. Not really comparable to a piece of hardware that you have to pre-order or you can't get it at all. Also, it wasn't called the NES Classic Mini Limited Edition. I know that Nintendo said that it was intended to be limited but it wasn't obvious to most people and Nintendo never said it before release and did wait until it was discontinued to tell us.

I have no problem with special editions that are limited and therefore sell out with pre-orders (outside of disliking pre-orders in general) but a standard edition being easily available makes all the difference. Besides, let's not pretend that Nintendo tried the best they could to meet demand, they didn't.
just because it wasn't obvious to you, the fact that Nintendo did say it was intended to be a limited run item should still be a massive indicator to you that you should probably pre-order or miss out.

especially since you live in America where the population is massive and it's much harder to obtain items and people wait out the front of stores at like 6am just so they can get new release consoles and such.

i live in Australia and people always crap on us saying it'd be horrible to live here because of our game censorship and such. but hey at least it's alot easier for us to actually obtain new release items here than it is in America.

and hey, because i pre-order all my stuff. it means that currently the only upcoming things i have to pay off are Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario Odyssey and those all aren't coming out for ages so i have plenty of time to pay them off.

it also means it's much easier for me to save up for the announcements they make at E3 now. i'm way ahead in that sense :)

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
Did Nintendo say it was to be limited prior to it being discontinued? I may have missed it.
Nintendo released it a 30th anniversary celebration for the NES. it was purely meant to a novelty limited release item to appeal to peoples nostalgia people could pick up over the holiday season to keep people occupied while everyone was waiting for the Nintendo Switch. nothing more.

the NES Mini was never intended to go into massive production like all of Nintendo's actual consoles like the Switch is

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
Nintendo released it a 30th anniversary celebration for the NES. it was purely meant to a novelty limited release item to appeal to peoples nostalgia people could pick up over the holiday season to keep people occupied while everyone was waiting for the Nintendo Switch. nothing more.

the NES Mini was never intended to go into massive production like all of Nintendo's actual consoles like the Switch is

I am not seeing a link to a quote from Nintendo so no, I guess they didn't come out and tell people it was limited until it was discontinued. Why are you defending them, what's in it for you?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well they're going to make few of them.
They're going to make them hard to buy.
And then they're going to discontinue them.
So I don't know why even get excited about it.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Changing the topic a bit away from the limited supply of the mini NES; what titles would you like to see on it if Nintendo were to release a mini SNES?

To keep things realistic, here are some stats for the mini NES:
On the mini NES there were 30 titles;
of these 17 came from Nintendo themselves 13 from third parties, outside Japan.
In Japan 14 were from Nintendo and 16 from third parties.
All of the publishers are located in Japan.

I suspect around half the titles will be from Nintendo, in other words. And more than likely most titles will come from Japanese developers. The number of games will probably around 30, or maybe less if they perceive the value of the individual titles as being higher(and if the space they take on disk is higher).

Some contenders would be:

Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
F-Zero
Donkey Kong Country
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter II(some version)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV, V or VI (probably one and not all of them)
Super Mario RPG (if there are no rights issues)
Super Castlevania
Super Punch-out

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I wish people just buy a raspberry pi, it's cheaper and you can put all kinds of games not just SNES ones.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Bedinsis said:
Changing the topic a bit away from the limited supply of the mini NES; what titles would you like to see on it if Nintendo were to release a mini SNES?

To keep things realistic, here are some stats for the mini NES:
On the mini NES there were 30 titles;
of these 17 came from Nintendo themselves 13 from third parties, outside Japan.
In Japan 14 were from Nintendo and 16 from third parties.
All of the publishers are located in Japan.

I suspect around half the titles will be from Nintendo, in other words. And more than likely most titles will come from Japanese developers. The number of games will probably around 30, or maybe less if they perceive the value of the individual titles as being higher(and if the space they take on disk is higher).

Some contenders would be:

Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
F-Zero
Donkey Kong Country
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter II(some version)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV, V or VI (probably one and not all of them)
Super Mario RPG (if there are no rights issues)
Super Castlevania
Super Punch-out
Space isn't an issue anymore when it comes to snes roms. It's probably about 1-2 GB for every officially released snes game combined

FF5 probably won't be in the international one since the original one didn't leave Japan. These machines sell on nostalgia so I doubt there will be a "new release" in it. Part of me wants Mother 3[footnote]ignoring that it's a GBA game[/footnote] to be part of it just to see how nuts people would get.

Anyway, in the probably list:

Kirby Super Star
Pilotwings
Starfox
Super Metroid
Contra 3
probably a sports game or 2
Battletoads
Earthbound
Mortal Kombat 3(no blood edition)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest(out of spite)
Breath of Fire
Earthworm Jim
Gradius III

Personal wish list:

E.V.O
Robotrek
every non Final Fantasy Squaresoft game
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia 1-2
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

No Disney games sadly, or at least I doubt it. The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse would be a fun addition.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
WeepingAngels said:
1) After the way they treated consumers with the NES Classic, I don't want one now. 2) Even if I still wanted one, it isn't worth the frustration of trying to find one.
Except NoA didn't allow the NES Classic to be preordered. Can't blame the customer for something the company was preventing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
go-10 said:
I wish people just buy a raspberry pi, it's cheaper and you can put all kinds of games not just SNES ones.
I would if I knew how to do coding.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really want to hold off on speculation and judgement until the thing is confirmed but like everyone else here, I'm going to be surprised if Nintendo produces enough to meet demand. I would also assume that the Japanese one will be the one to get since that'll probably have more than one Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei. I assume anyway...the US one has a chance of packing on Mystic Quest (which I like but I realize nobody else does)