SNES classic

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
RaikuFA said:
go-10 said:
I wish people just buy a raspberry pi, it's cheaper and you can put all kinds of games not just SNES ones.
I would if I knew how to do coding.
you don't need to, they sell pre coded ones or you can buy one custom made with everything you want for like 60 bucks

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
go-10 said:
RaikuFA said:
go-10 said:
I wish people just buy a raspberry pi, it's cheaper and you can put all kinds of games not just SNES ones.
I would if I knew how to do coding.
you don't need to, they sell pre coded ones or you can buy one custom made with everything you want for like 60 bucks
Ok, thats cool. PM me a link?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
RaikuFA said:
Yoshi178 said:
WeepingAngels said:
1) After the way they treated consumers with the NES Classic, I don't want one now. 2) Even if I still wanted one, it isn't worth the frustration of trying to find one.
or you could always just preorder it like a normal person who wants one would.
Except NoA didn't allow the NES Classic to be preordered. Can't blame the customer for something the company was preventing.
coulda lined up in front of the store super early on release like alot of Americans do whenever new consoles everyones exicited about releases. lel.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Kibeth41 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Yoshi178 said:
Has it become normal to pre-order the products you want making it harder for people to walk into a store and buy one? I am not a fan of pre-order culture. If that's the new normal, I'm out.
It isn't a "new" culture. Pre-ordering has always existed as a way to coax sellers into reserving a high demand item for you on the back of a deposit or early payment.

Too many gamers just absolutely miss the point of pre-ordering.

However, none of this is relevent to the NES Mini.
i wouldn't say its so much the pre-orders that are used as a way coaxing sellers. most of the time its all the limited editions of games and such that developers make which ends up driving up demand because the devs make it clear to people that there will be lower stock of this item.

i have to admit i'm still a sucker for limited editions however i try to buy just the special editions that actually seem worth it like the Fire Emblem Echoes and Breath of the Wild special editions. special editions like those yoshi woolly world and hyrule warriors legends ones are silly since those only have an amiibo and nothing else in them

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Yoshi178 said:
Has it become normal to pre-order the products you want making it harder for people to walk into a store and buy one? I am not a fan of pre-order culture. If that's the new normal, I'm out.
It isn't a "new" culture. Pre-ordering has always existed as a way to coax sellers into reserving a high demand item for you on the back of a deposit or early payment.

Too many gamers just absolutely miss the point of pre-ordering.

However, none of this is relevent to the NES Mini.
Pre-ordering may not be new but pre-ordering becoming the main way to purchase something is relatively new and that is called pre-order culture. Here's Jim talking about it 3 years ago.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
It will be too scarce for the general public, just like everything else. The reason is so they can hide the fact that it is fucking terrible garbage behind the hype. The GC was a good console that had enough supply for demand, but no one bought. The Wii was in very low supply when it first launched which made people think it was awesome and wanted it more and ended up probably being the most bought and least played console in history (because Nintendo didn't learn from the GC-era that you need actual engaging games to play).

The WiiU tried the same shit, but had TERRIBLE marketing and even fewer games. The Switch is pulling the same shit, and will once again be the thing you buy because of hype then realize the hype was all about a box containing a crayon and some chicken testicles. The NES Mini was honestly quite shit when compared to some of the earlier PnP emulator consoles (which cost $20) but that fact is hidden by the hype and tales of how sold out it was. The SNES Mini will follow the same routine, with the same idiots stupidly not realizing they are being played and when they buy it from a scalper for $300 they'll play it once and let it collect dust in the corner like the rest of the useless tat Nintendo gets away with making.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Pre-ordering may not be new but pre-ordering becoming the main way to purchase something is relatively new and that is called pre-order culture. Here's Jim talking about it 3 years ago.
It isn't.

Many gamers just don't know when to pre-order.
I saw this before but ignored it because it made no sense. Could you clarify?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
RaikuFA said:
Yoshi178 said:
WeepingAngels said:
1) After the way they treated consumers with the NES Classic, I don't want one now. 2) Even if I still wanted one, it isn't worth the frustration of trying to find one.
Except NoA didn't allow the NES Classic to be preordered. Can't blame the customer for something the company was preventing.
coulda lined up in front of the store super early on release like alot of Americans do whenever new consoles everyones exicited about releases. lel.
Except not everyone can camp at a store overnight. We have jobs, families, responsibilities. Can't throw it away to hope to get a console. Easier to just raspberry pi it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Yoshi178 said:
RaikuFA said:
Yoshi178 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Except not everyone can camp at a store overnight. We have jobs, families, responsibilities. Can't throw it away to hope to get a console. Easier to just raspberry pi it.
Pre-ordering is the lazy way to get it before everyone else does. Atleast those crazy (I would never do this) campers have to go out of their way to get a copy and atleast they are waiting until launch day. I actually applaud any company who tries to prevent pre-orders. You want a product, get off your ass and go to the store or if you must buy it from your couch, do it on launch day.

Well, that's my unpopular opinion.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yeah I'd want one, though in a way I already have a SNES Classic. Portable even, with a ton of SNES games. Hell it's even a NES Classic! And a GBA Classic! Which one you ask? This one:

Eh eh eh eh.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yoshi178 said:
Ezekiel said:
I don't get the appeal. I can already play all the SNES games I want.
just because you can doesn't mean other people can.
Pretty sure they could,[footnote]note: this user does not condone the act of pirating copyrighted software nor the emulation of said illegally obtained software. No matter how badly Nintendo deserves it and is asking for it. Which they totally do and totally are.[/footnote] if they really wanted to.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...the thing is, I already have all the SNES games I want to play.

Because they've all been re-mastered or re-released across the decades by Nintendo themselves. And then there's the... *ahem* billions of SNES emulators...

Ah well, more scalpernostalgia for whoever wants it. Hopefully there's enough for everyone this time, if they do do it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Kibeth41 said:
WeepingAngels said:
It isn't.

Many gamers just don't know when to pre-order.
I saw this before but ignored it because it made no sense. Could you clarify?
The time to pre-order is when a product is in extremely high demand, that it's not guaranteed that you can buy one unless a unit is reserved.

A good example is the Switch. People pre-ordered the Switch because places ran out of units quickly.

It's always been the norm. But gamers don't understand why they're pre-ordering, so some excited people decide to just pre-order everything they want, regardless of supply and demand.
Which is exactly what I said. Pre ordering has become the main way for people to buy games and consoles. It's a bad practice.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Which is exactly what I said. Pre ordering has become the main way for people to buy games and consoles. It's a bad practice.
*sigh*. Except, it hasn't "become" anything. It's the same as always, it's literally nothing but user error. "bad practice" insinuates that it's fault on part of the distributor, but it isn't.

Pre-ordering is the same as it's always been. Nothing has changed. It's just that overly excited gamers don't understand when to pre-order.
It sounds to me like we are saying mostly the same thing but you don't think we are. There is clearly some miscommunication so let's just agree to disagree here. I will say that when a producer, distributor or retailer refuses to allow pre-orders, it's better for customers who like to buy on launch day and I completely support that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Joke's on you Nintendo, my SNES is alive and well. It can play more games than your emulator and I don't have to camp in line like a 13 year old with no sense of worth or dignity to see if I can get one of your novelty bricks, maybe.

PS Fuck pre-order culture.