Snipers get a bad rap in gaming?

Jakeli

Jul 10, 2009
It's not so much as them getting a bad rap, so much as it is losers trying to feel better.

ex: Sniper-1 kills person-A 5 times in a row. So person-A calls sniper an unfair **** so he can feel better. then Person-B through F get the same idea. This then leads to anyone who doesn't know Sniper-1 is told he's a douche. The reason? He snipes. Therefore logic dictates that sniping is for douches.

It's the same thing whenever someone uses a overpowered weapon (i.e. "noob tubes" and shotguns) It's just crybabys justifying their failure at a past time rather than trying something else. The only situation I can think of where it's not a matter of "skill" is spawn killing. Because then the attacker really is trying to piss the guy off.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
jaketessem said:
1. Sniper get a bad rep because they are assumed to be "Camping Fags"
2. If used properly, a sniper class will not make you a "Camping Fag"
3. If you DO NOT "camp" in a corner, but instead stake out in a bush, tree, building, or some place with a good view, then you are not a "camping fag" like other player may say.
4. Snipers are dissed only because other players get mad when they get killed (fairly) from a mile away and they cant do anything about it.
5. There is a reason that there is a sniper class in video games, it balances the game and gives wanna-be snipers and recon soldiers a chance to live out their fantasies.

Sniping is always fair in every game and if you are a sniper, dont listen to the other players, you are not a "Camping Fag". You are just playing the game like those "Run and Gun Fags"
see this is exactly what i was talking about in my post earlier in this thread. snipers seem to have developed this elitist mentality that anyone who uses a gun other than a sniper is simply a berzerker that just runs and fires. THIS ISNT TRUE AND U SNIPERS NEED TO GET OVER THEMSELVES. u can be a "bad" sniper and still walk away with a positive kill/death ratio cause ur shooting at ppl form half a mile away and they cant really get t u without going through ur teamates.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
I think people get irritated when, say, you have a sniper who shoots anybody who comes out of the spawn point. Take five steps, BLAM, dead. Sure, it might be a legitimate strategy, but I would get annoyed if that happened.

Tessem7

Jul 28, 2010
but thats the point of sniping, to SNIPE!!! and sniping in the military is shooting from a half-mile to a mile away and having a positive kill/death ratio

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
The problem with sniping is the camping...because it's not as fun to try and kill someone who's barely moving. While it can get frustrating, I'd rather be killed 15 times by a sniper who continuously moves so you can't find him, rather than twice by the same guy who's sitting playing that point and click adventure game

The Free Wind

Jul 12, 2010
However, there are still concerns over the now popular "No-Scope", and even more recently, "Quick-Scope" snipers that, for some odd reason, RUN AND GUN W/A SNIPER RIFLE!*

*Both cases are most common in MW2, but not nearly as much in BC2 due to the larger maps.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Since i play TF2 when i think Snipers i think "Bodyshot whore". Huntsman body shot is ok, but rifle bodyshot on a stationary target means your not trying and need to get off the internet.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
TheAceTheOne said:
Sephychu said:
It just makes the target feel small if they weren't expecting it. Which, in a game with snipers in it, should never happen. There are so many ways to avoid them, and the fact that they play in a different way to you should not mean that you can't beat them if the game is well enough designed.

As you may or may not have noticed, I'm a devoted sniper, and I love doing it in games.
Agreed. Devoted Sniper = Good Sniper.
In terms of decency as well as skill.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
secretsantaone said:
B: That doesn't remove the problem of being shot out of nowhere and instantly killed in the first place. If someone is shot at but able to shoot back and attempt to counter it, they accept it more when they die as they know that it was partially their fault they died. With snipers, if you don't know they're there, you get killed instantly without warning, evoking the 'Bullshit!' reaction out of most people.
Well you don't get shot out of nowhere, you either get shot out of an open spot, where you can see the sniper, or out of an obvious sniper spot, where you can and should expect a sniper to be before he even took the shot (and if you cba or don't know to check those spots, it's your own fault).

If/when you figure out where a sniper is, which is not that hard, he's pretty much screwed, just move a lot, move in to him and either smoke him out or charge him with a machine gun, depending on the game, but assuming equal skill, you've got the upper hand in close quarters.

secretsantaone said:
Oh, and in WW1 trench warfare was what led to vast amount of snipers, not the psychological effect (though there's no doubt that helped).
I'd say the recent prevalence of urban warfare is actually what led to the vast amount of snipers, as that's one of the places where they're most effective - they can hide and relocate in pretty much any building. But the psych effect of a sniper is what can be very deadly in those situations as it can just drive the enemy literally insane.

secretsantaone said:
C: I never said all snipers were like that, all I said was that the idea of being a sniper attracts a lot of people like that and so I'm afraid they all get tarred with the same brush. I've seen enough usernames along the lines of EpIc_Sn1PeR_14 to last me a lifetime.
Yeah I understood what you said, my point is that people use that argument on literally anything they don't like. I'll give you a WoW example:
Paladins are so ez, healing's two buttons, it's usually a 12 year old behind it.
12 year olds always play the skill-less druids, they just love the kittens, bears and fat moonkins cause they're cute carebear idiots.
Warrior is such a nab choice, I mean it's like the basic choice in any game, only 12 year old kids play warriors.
Rogues are for 12 year olds, who love to do nothing else but stunlock you to death, kids just play it cause the opponents can't fight back.
Warlocks are shit, they just fear-dot-fear-dot you to death, it's like 90% 12 year olds that play that crappy class.

I can keep going. I've heard the same argument, way too many times, for literally anything you can name in gaming anywhere (WoW's just one example, I heard the same shit for snipers, AK users, machine gun users, double gun users in Counter Strike and more of the same in other games). With due respect, the argument doesn't hold any weight with me whatsoever :p

secretsantaone said:
I'm not trying to have a go at snipers here, in many games they can play an important role, I'm just pointing out some of the common grievances people have with them.
Aye I get ya and I'm not saying anything against you mate, just saying, the people who say those things are generally looking for excuses for why they get killed (ofc it's valid in some games in some circumstances, but in no way as correct to generalize). I mean I get them, we all need to vent sometime but don't call it fact once you've calmed down :p

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
chaos order said:
jaketessem said:
1. Sniper get a bad rep because they are assumed to be "Camping Fags"
2. If used properly, a sniper class will not make you a "Camping Fag"
3. If you DO NOT "camp" in a corner, but instead stake out in a bush, tree, building, or some place with a good view, then you are not a "camping fag" like other player may say.
4. Snipers are dissed only because other players get mad when they get killed (fairly) from a mile away and they cant do anything about it.
5. There is a reason that there is a sniper class in video games, it balances the game and gives wanna-be snipers and recon soldiers a chance to live out their fantasies.

Sniping is always fair in every game and if you are a sniper, dont listen to the other players, you are not a "Camping Fag". You are just playing the game like those "Run and Gun Fags"
see this is exactly what i was talking about in my post earlier in this thread. snipers seem to have developed this elitist mentality that anyone who uses a gun other than a sniper is simply a berzerker that just runs and fires. THIS ISNT TRUE AND U SNIPERS NEED TO GET OVER THEMSELVES. u can be a "bad" sniper and still walk away with a positive kill/death ratio cause ur shooting at ppl form half a mile away and they cant really get t u without going through ur teamates.
Elitist snipers are a no-no in my book. I'm a sniper. I don't flaunt it, I don't show off. I simply aim, shoot, hope nobody's going to come up behind me and murder me. I agree that ELITIST SNIPERS need to get over themselves, but saying that ALL snipers need to get over themselves is as bad as saying that Run And Gunner's are fags. It's a false statement.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Vrach said:
secretsantaone said:
B: That doesn't remove the problem of being shot out of nowhere and instantly killed in the first place. If someone is shot at but able to shoot back and attempt to counter it, they accept it more when they die as they know that it was partially their fault they died. With snipers, if you don't know they're there, you get killed instantly without warning, evoking the 'Bullshit!' reaction out of most people.
Well you don't get shot out of nowhere, you either get shot out of an open spot, where you can see the sniper, or out of an obvious sniper spot, where you can and should expect a sniper to be before he even took the shot (and if you cba or don't know to check those spots, it's your own fault).

If/when you figure out where a sniper is, which is not that hard, he's pretty much screwed, just move a lot, move in to him and either smoke him out or charge him with a machine gun, depending on the game, but assuming equal skill, you've got the upper hand in close quarters.

secretsantaone said:
Oh, and in WW1 trench warfare was what led to vast amount of snipers, not the psychological effect (though there's no doubt that helped).
I'd say the recent prevalence of urban warfare is actually what led to the vast amount of snipers, as that's one of the places where they're most effective - they can hide and relocate in pretty much any building. But the psych effect of a sniper is what can be very deadly in those situations as it can just drive the enemy literally insane.

secretsantaone said:
C: I never said all snipers were like that, all I said was that the idea of being a sniper attracts a lot of people like that and so I'm afraid they all get tarred with the same brush. I've seen enough usernames along the lines of EpIc_Sn1PeR_14 to last me a lifetime.
Yeah I understood what you said, my point is that people use that argument on literally anything they don't like. I'll give you a WoW example:
Paladins are so ez, healing's two buttons, it's usually a 12 year old behind it.
12 year olds always play the skill-less druids, they just love the kittens, bears and fat moonkins cause they're cute carebear idiots.
Warrior is such a nab choice, I mean it's like the basic choice in any game, only 12 year old kids play warriors.
Rogues are for 12 year olds, who love to do nothing else but stunlock you to death, kids just play it cause the opponents can't fight back.
Warlocks are shit, they just fear-dot-fear-dot you to death, it's like 90% 12 year olds that play that crappy class.

I can keep going. I've heard the same argument, way too many times, for literally anything you can name in gaming anywhere (WoW's just one example, I heard the same shit for snipers, AK users, machine gun users, double gun users in Counter Strike and more of the same in other games). With due respect, the argument doesn't hold any weight with me whatsoever :p

secretsantaone said:
I'm not trying to have a go at snipers here, in many games they can play an important role, I'm just pointing out some of the common grievances people have with them.
Aye I get ya and I'm not saying anything against you mate, just saying, the people who say those things are generally looking for excuses for why they get killed (ofc it's valid in some games in some circumstances, but in no way as correct to generalize). I mean I get them, we all need to vent sometime but don't call it fact once you've calmed down :p
WoW Example: True. So very true. It's an indisputable fact of life that (Insert class/gameplay style you hate here) is filled with only 12 year olds because they (Insert skill/tactic used by "12 year olds" here).

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I don't know why people get so pissed off when you snipe, they annoy me with their complaining. One time I was playinga game and This guy kept sniping me over and over and over. Then, when I started sniping him he yelled "OMG, STOP IT YOU SNIPER FAG!" It was so pathetic that I laughed. And sniped some more.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
CheckD3 said:
The problem with sniping is the camping...because it's not as fun to try and kill someone who's barely moving. While it can get frustrating, I'd rather be killed 15 times by a sniper who continuously moves so you can't find him, rather than twice by the same guy who's sitting playing that point and click adventure game
Perfectly agreed. It's not fun for me when the target doesn't provide a challenge. I'd prefer an actual test, or at least something more difficult than shooting what's basically a cardboard cutout.

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
I'd say it all depends on the type of game. Sniping and camping are realistic tactics, as you can see in just about any documentary. Yes, you have assault teams going in close, but you also have high ground support (betraying my SWAT 3 roots :p ) providing covering fire from set locations. You wouldn't always move away after firing.

So yeah - in games intended to be realistic (SWAT, OFP/ARMA, Delta Force, Ghost Recon, etc) or on realism servers, I would not only have no problem with snipers and campers, but I would expect it.

Other games are, of course, intended for "fun" rather than realism; Battlefield Heroes (and to some extent the other Battlefield games), TF2, anything deathmatch-based... In those cases, of course, it's against the spirit of the game, and there I can understand the irritation. I might even share it if I got slotted by a sniper. I wouldn't let it go out over the sniper, though - as long as they play the game using the tools the game gives them, without cheats or whatnot, I find it hideously silly to object to that.

Feb 25, 2009
It's not sniping that's annoying, it's camping. Waiting around, 50 yards away from where a level bottlenecks to force players through that area, constantly aimed at head level and pulling the trigger when someone comes around the corner.
This can be done with any gun at various ranges, so like I said before, it's not sniping, it's camping.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
19 said:
It's not sniping that's annoying, it's camping. Waiting around, 50 yards away from where a level bottlenecks to force players through that area, constantly aimed at head level and pulling the trigger when someone comes around the corner.
This can be done with any gun at various ranges, so like I said before, it's not sniping, it's camping.
Again, I agree. Campers are annoying. If they have to trap the enemy to get a good kill/death ratio, they really should pick up another hobby.

MicrosoftPaysMe

Mar 4, 2009
TheAceTheOne said:
I'm sure we've all played a game where we've sniped. I've heard people talk bad at me when I say I'm a "sniper". Some hear sniper and immediately think all kinds of bad thoughts (Camping, for example). So, I'm asking you. Snipers: Are they really as bad as some think? Or do they just get a bad rap?

Personally, I think that they get a bad rap. A few snipers deserve being called out for doing some of what they're accused of doing, but not all of them.

There's my thought, what's yours?
have u played MW2 with the headset lateley. Theres absolutly nothing u can do without someone bitching. "HARD SCOPER" "BABY MONITOR" "TAC KNIFING PEICE OF SHIT"
people just get madd when you kill them

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
MicrosoftPaysMe said:
TheAceTheOne said:
I'm sure we've all played a game where we've sniped. I've heard people talk bad at me when I say I'm a "sniper". Some hear sniper and immediately think all kinds of bad thoughts (Camping, for example). So, I'm asking you. Snipers: Are they really as bad as some think? Or do they just get a bad rap?

Personally, I think that they get a bad rap. A few snipers deserve being called out for doing some of what they're accused of doing, but not all of them.

There's my thought, what's yours?
have u played MW2 with the headset lateley. Theres absolutly nothing u can do without someone bitching. "HARD SCOPER" "BABY MONITOR" "TAC KNIFING PEICE OF SHIT"
people just get madd when you kill them
There's a reason I try to avoid MW2 without some Metallica or something going on in my headset. Personally, insults just make people look like fools. It's even funnier when they realize I can't hear them and that I honestly don't care.