Snipers get a bad rap in gaming?

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
Bradley Desborough said:
Sinpers are the best weapons to use in any game. For example in Call of duty games snipers take skill, waiting for the enemy laying traps with care packages and claymores and picking off the enemy, While with automatic weapons you hold down the trigger till all organic matter is fused with the wallpaper (Yahtzee) so i think snipers get bad rap from the people who cant use them.
It doesn't take that much skill to use snipers in cod games i'm afraid, they can be used at both long medium and close ranges depending on scope are usually one hit kills (as they should be).I enjoy sniping in online games and not too shabby either in bfbc 2 and cod games. In cod their easy and deadly as long as you have good twitch skills and aware of your surroundings but it doesn't take too long to learn these things.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
It may be bad, but personally I don't care. Half the fun of sniping is killing people when they have no way of defending themselves. It's funny.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Slangeveld said:
The games "Battlefield Bad Company 2" made sniping enjoyable for me.
BFBC2 has the worst snipers. The first snipers arnt instant kills but the fucking Magnum is and I get close quarter killed by people hipshotting me with them so much it's untrue.

TF2 has the best sniper, there is a warm up time to increase damage to full and the targets can see the laser dot of the sniper ala every action movie ever.

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath said:
In BFBC2, most Snipers are shit, and don't help....so they ussually take a few paragraphs of bad language from the entire team and me......I play sniper, but I actually MOVE UP, camp flags, throw motion sensors near flags, and do shit like that.....hell most snipers are too lazy to even move and mortar a flag that is being taken....
I lift my glass to you sir.
i usually scrap the sniper role if there are too many on my team or find a new game

Missing SHODAN

Jun 9, 2010
The only time I have problems with snipers (in any team FPS game) is when they're on my team. Someone who's good at it will pick a good spot and rack up decent kills, but too many people seem to assume sniping = finding an obscure part of the map with a view of a dubiously useful area to cover and then yell at the team for not luring opponents in front of this useless position. Extra bonus points when I join a game and I'm one of three people who AREN'T trying to be snipers, because now most of my team is dead weight and the flag or cart or whatever is over there and they're not going to move from their awesome hiding positions to deign to help with actually winning, 'cause after all, they're 'teh sinper.'

I don't mind them on the opposing team, though. Either they're good and I get to coordinate with my team to try and take the sniper out, or they're terrible and I get to roll their faces. I like a challenge but don't complain if I instead get an ego-boosting overwhelming slaughter of a victory.

crazie_soviet

Feb 17, 2010
all i'm gonna say to people that hate snipers is RUSH. do a bit of cover popin' and/or use special something or other. ranging from grenades to abilities or if it come to it use others as a meat shield and stop bitching after a game when someone snips ya

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
TheAceTheOne said:
chaos order said:
jaketessem said:
1. Sniper get a bad rep because they are assumed to be "Camping Fags"
2. If used properly, a sniper class will not make you a "Camping Fag"
3. If you DO NOT "camp" in a corner, but instead stake out in a bush, tree, building, or some place with a good view, then you are not a "camping fag" like other player may say.
4. Snipers are dissed only because other players get mad when they get killed (fairly) from a mile away and they cant do anything about it.
5. There is a reason that there is a sniper class in video games, it balances the game and gives wanna-be snipers and recon soldiers a chance to live out their fantasies.

Sniping is always fair in every game and if you are a sniper, dont listen to the other players, you are not a "Camping Fag". You are just playing the game like those "Run and Gun Fags"
see this is exactly what i was talking about in my post earlier in this thread. snipers seem to have developed this elitist mentality that anyone who uses a gun other than a sniper is simply a berzerker that just runs and fires. THIS ISNT TRUE AND U SNIPERS NEED TO GET OVER THEMSELVES. u can be a "bad" sniper and still walk away with a positive kill/death ratio cause ur shooting at ppl form half a mile away and they cant really get t u without going through ur teamates.
Elitist snipers are a no-no in my book. I'm a sniper. I don't flaunt it, I don't show off. I simply aim, shoot, hope nobody's going to come up behind me and murder me. I agree that ELITIST SNIPERS need to get over themselves, but saying that ALL snipers need to get over themselves is as bad as saying that Run And Gunner's are fags. It's a false statement.
it justs irks me when snipers refer to everyone else as "runners and gunners" as though thats all everyone else is just that, run and shoot run and shoot. itd be like me refering to snipers as point and click

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
chaos order said:
TheAceTheOne said:
chaos order said:
jaketessem said:
1. Sniper get a bad rep because they are assumed to be "Camping Fags"
2. If used properly, a sniper class will not make you a "Camping Fag"
3. If you DO NOT "camp" in a corner, but instead stake out in a bush, tree, building, or some place with a good view, then you are not a "camping fag" like other player may say.
4. Snipers are dissed only because other players get mad when they get killed (fairly) from a mile away and they cant do anything about it.
5. There is a reason that there is a sniper class in video games, it balances the game and gives wanna-be snipers and recon soldiers a chance to live out their fantasies.

Sniping is always fair in every game and if you are a sniper, dont listen to the other players, you are not a "Camping Fag". You are just playing the game like those "Run and Gun Fags"
see this is exactly what i was talking about in my post earlier in this thread. snipers seem to have developed this elitist mentality that anyone who uses a gun other than a sniper is simply a berzerker that just runs and fires. THIS ISNT TRUE AND U SNIPERS NEED TO GET OVER THEMSELVES. u can be a "bad" sniper and still walk away with a positive kill/death ratio cause ur shooting at ppl form half a mile away and they cant really get t u without going through ur teamates.
Elitist snipers are a no-no in my book. I'm a sniper. I don't flaunt it, I don't show off. I simply aim, shoot, hope nobody's going to come up behind me and murder me. I agree that ELITIST SNIPERS need to get over themselves, but saying that ALL snipers need to get over themselves is as bad as saying that Run And Gunner's are fags. It's a false statement.
it justs irks me when snipers refer to everyone else as "runners and gunners" as though thats all everyone else is just that, run and shoot run and shoot. itd be like me refering to snipers as point and click
The main thing I'm noticing is that people say snipers are either better or worse. Snipers die when they're shot, they have a gun or two, same as all the rest. It irks me as well that snipers refer to people as run'n'gunners. I actually meant that "It's like saying run and gunner's are fags" as a response to chaos order's comment.

DeadMan117

Sep 15, 2009
Well, as a fan of the sniper class i can say this:
To all those who say its not a challenge: Actually, if you don't run around with a stopping powered Barret and quickscope ppl, and maybe go only for headshots, then yes, it can be quite challenging. If you actually try to play as a sniper, and only take shots where you feel you can make the shot, not just blast rounds down range hoping to hit, then it is quite challenging (Quote by Allan Quartermain frm LXG: "oh yes, very American. Fire enough bullets and hope to hit the target")
For those who complain about it being unfair to not give you a chance: Umm, i could just as easily have snuck up behind you, or simply have seen you first, thus not giving you a chance to fire back. just because i did it with a sniper rifle instead of an assault rifle doesnt make me any better or worse.

And yes, i disagree with the fact that you can shoot someone in the chest with 1 sniper bullet and kill them, yet it takes 4 or 5 from any other gun. In fact, i like the style that Battlefield Bad Company 2 has, where the only 1-shot kill from a sniper is a headshot.

Also, for the record, sniping does not equal camping. As a sniper, I often move from position to position in order to avoid people knowing exactly where i shot them from last, and then just sneaking up on me. I also call in frequent mortar strikes, and spot every opponent i ever see.
Oh, also, yes, i realize that snipers can get really irritating, but then, so can COD MW2 Commando Knifers, seeing as how i've had them lunge through a cloud of LMG or shotgun rounds to knife me, and not getting torn apart by buckshot even though in any other situation it would have killed them, but didnt because they were lunging

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I wouldn't mind so much if i there was a vehicle or arty caller class to counter the abundance of snipers in most fps games i "tried" (only a select few fps games like dod or tf2 where sniper classes are capped+balanced remain uninstalled and still played), but as it stands, sniper is the infantry killer and fps games tend to be between infantry...

Otherwise i view snipers as an environmental hazzard whose sole purpose is to cockblock your fun. You can be as tactical or strategical as you want, all it takes is for 1 square inch of you to be exposed and you're dead.
I actually ignore them in most games, whats the point?
If i try to hunt them down, i'm putting myself through whatever traps they have in store in anticipation of such a scenario, and this is assuming they stay at the exact same spot and i have no problems wading through the sniper's team mates first.
Even if i do close in, in most games quick scopping means snipers are just as nasty up close as they are from a distance.
It's all too much work+frustration to hunt down 1 person whereas it's no work for them, so i'd rather just ignore them and pray there's a sniper on MY team to counter theirs.
That's about the only time i'm happy to see a sniper tbh.

Also in response to "sniper is a skilled class". I'm the worst shot in the history of multi gaming, people have nicknamed me "try again" frank cos of my shoddy aim.
Yet i have no problems being a decent sniper, when the person takes 3/4 of my screen, even i can score a good shot. If they are moving or not it matters little except up close (i can't quick scope), i can even counter snipe snipers decently (i might not be a good shot, but i know how to dodge and get behind cover quick, it serves me well for sniper duels).
When it comes to sniping in most games, being a good shot really isn't that important T_T

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
inb4: Sniping's a good job, mate.

The problem with sniping is, like Yahtzee said, the game you're playing is a point/click adventure where the only action is "Use Gun On Man".

There's rarely any interaction between sniper and snipee, which is where the "fun" comes from. That's where the bad rap comes.
So it is for every fps. Sniping actually forces you to stalk your target, avoid his bodyguards and pick the opportune moment to pull the trigger instead of just running around balls to the walls shooting. People love snipers when they're on their own team but hate going up against them.

Solemn Soup

Jul 27, 2010
If your a sniper it's fine by me, now yes i get frustrated when the same sniper gets me over and over and over, but who doesn't? If your a sniper you should move from spot to spot, if you move you could shoot the people in pursuit of you for killing them, and i give props to the snipers that can (with only a pistol and knife) take down 3-4 brutes.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
If you are going to snipe be a dedicated sniper, play for the entire game, don't switch between other classes constantly every 2 deaths

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Judgement101 said:
If you are going to snipe be a dedicated sniper, play for the entire game, don't switch between other classes constantly every 2 deaths
I do that. No reason to quit if you miss a shot and die from it.

SodaDew

Sep 28, 2009
I love to snipe but I get booted from most games or bitched at because im 'camping'. But isn't that what snipers do is camp and wait for a target? I hate running around with a sniper like it a assault rifle

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
I truly hate snipers, I think it's a really boring tactic to play and boring to play against, but I'd never accuse them of doing something illegitimate or somehow wrong. What I will do is hunt them and anyone who gets between me and them until I've taken them for (at least) as many times as they've taken me. I'm generally a pretty good anti-sniper in MW2, although, as I'm now having to use mobile broadband I can't really play it anymore as it really hates strict NAT, so it's back to Halo 3 for me where snipers are pretty minimal :-(

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
The only time i truly dislike snipers is in objective based maps, where the snipers lie back upping their K/D ratio without aiding their own team, like in BF:BC2 when your team is supposed to rush, and half the team lies back at yoru spawn and snipe, it's horrible.
But i guess thats not the snipers specificly, but more people, who doesn't understand or just insist on playing every game-mode like it was team deathmatch.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Vrach said:
secretsantaone said:
B: That doesn't remove the problem of being shot out of nowhere and instantly killed in the first place. If someone is shot at but able to shoot back and attempt to counter it, they accept it more when they die as they know that it was partially their fault they died. With snipers, if you don't know they're there, you get killed instantly without warning, evoking the 'Bullshit!' reaction out of most people.
Vrach said:
Well you don't get shot out of nowhere, you either get shot out of an open spot, where you can see the sniper, or out of an obvious sniper spot, where you can and should expect a sniper to be before he even took the shot (and if you cba or don't know to check those spots, it's your own fault).
I usually play the more open FPSs where there are few designated sniper spots and a lot more potentially usable cover. I can't reasonably be expected to check the entire map for snipers.
Incidently, you seem to contradict yourself. You say snipers are not campers, and then expect them to stay in the same spot for a while once they've got a kill.

Vrach said:
If/when you figure out where a sniper is, which is not that hard, he's pretty much screwed, just move a lot, move in to him and either smoke him out or charge him with a machine gun, depending on the game, but assuming equal skill, you've got the upper hand in close quarters.
I was talking about the first encounter, before you know the sniper is there. Once you know where he is, of course it's easy. But if you have no idea that there even IS a sniper, let alone where he might be, that's when it gets a bit frustrating.

secretsantaone said:
C: I never said all snipers were like that, all I said was that the idea of being a sniper attracts a lot of people like that and so I'm afraid they all get tarred with the same brush. I've seen enough usernames along the lines of EpIc_Sn1PeR_14 to last me a lifetime.
Vrach said:
Yeah I understood what you said, my point is that people use that argument on literally anything they don't like. I'll give you a WoW example:
Paladins are so ez, healing's two buttons, it's usually a 12 year old behind it.
12 year olds always play the skill-less druids, they just love the kittens, bears and fat moonkins cause they're cute carebear idiots.
Warrior is such a nab choice, I mean it's like the basic choice in any game, only 12 year old kids play warriors.
Rogues are for 12 year olds, who love to do nothing else but stunlock you to death, kids just play it cause the opponents can't fight back.
Warlocks are shit, they just fear-dot-fear-dot you to death, it's like 90% 12 year olds that play that crappy class.

I can keep going. I've heard the same argument, way too many times, for literally anything you can name in gaming anywhere (WoW's just one example, I heard the same shit for snipers, AK users, machine gun users, double gun users in Counter Strike and more of the same in other games). With due respect, the argument doesn't hold any weight with me whatsoever :p
My point wasn't that snipers were so cheap that they attracted kids. My point was that for lots of adolecent teenagers, the idea of being a lone wolf sniper, killing people from afar and in one hit appeals their imagination, thus many choose to go as sniper. Notice as well how all your examples imply all people who play that class are kids, while my example is that while kids are attracted to the idea of being a sniper, they are far from the only ones who will use it. And honestly, how many usernames have you seen to do with sniping as compared to usernames to do with machine gunning?

secretsantaone said:
I'm not trying to have a go at snipers here, in many games they can play an important role, I'm just pointing out some of the common grievances people have with them.
Vrach said:
Aye I get ya and I'm not saying anything against you mate, just saying, the people who say those things are generally looking for excuses for why they get killed (ofc it's valid in some games in some circumstances, but in no way as correct to generalize). I mean I get them, we all need to vent sometime but don't call it fact once you've calmed down :p
I've actually just come back from sniping on BF:BC2. To be fair, I'm pretty bad at it so I do respect a guy who can headshot me while running, it's just a bit annoying to be in a firefight with someone, or capturing an objective when some guy half the map away plops a bodyshot on you and kills you.