Snipers get a bad rap in gaming?

Extasii

May 22, 2009
honestly i can't snipe worth a damn. i get way too fidgety and impatient. prolly why i stick to my ACR w/ silencer. best combo in the game imo. great for sniper hunting
and in BC2 i play medic, and in my first 3 games i actually did pretty decent, with almost no sniper deaths by just picking and moving to cover carefully

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
d319tm said:
I truly hate snipers, I think it's a really boring tactic to play and boring to play against, but I'd never accuse them of doing something illegitimate or somehow wrong. What I will do is hunt them and anyone who gets between me and them until I've taken them for (at least) as many times as they've taken me. I'm generally a pretty good anti-sniper in MW2, although, as I'm now having to use mobile broadband I can't really play it anymore as it really hates strict NAT, so it's back to Halo 3 for me where snipers are pretty minimal :-(
At least you're not accusing snipers like some people do.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
maturin said:
Alon Shechter said:
I once played as a sniper on ArmA 2 : OA and some dude was angry at me for it.
Since that day , I never took the sniper-haters seriously.
Complaining about snipers in Arma 2? That guy is the lowest life form on the planet.
Wait, lower than a nematoad?

Pyre00

Mar 17, 2009
TraderJimmy said:
You need to play less 2fort. Few steps from spawn? Pssht. 5CP, people. 5CP. Also, note he said nothing about spy. Many people here are in fact not talking about TF2, and there is no assault rifle in the game.
1. I don't play 2fort. I was simplifying.

2. Okay, when Mr. Silenced SMG comes up behind me, I feel like I could've been more observant. My point was stealth is easier to counter than distance.

TraderJimmy said:
Sniper is one of the most easily countered classes EVEN at the highest skill levels in TF2.
I just flat out disagree with this here. Especially in TF2, when there are only a handful of effective long range weapons.

Battlefield maps are gigantic, so even the relatively accurate assault rifles are still not very effective at sniper range.

As for CoD, I've never played multiplayer so I can't really comment on the balance there.

Those are the only three games I can think of that are relevant.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Chogg Van Helsing said:
scoober1111 said:
they do get a bad rep. i once play COD MW2 was walking around a building a looked out a window and saw someone. so i aimed and shot and got 2 kills with the shot. right after shooting them i took off, went behind a box and aimed at the window i was looking through, and what a surprise the 2 dudes where at the window. so i got them and then was reported for hacking and they voted me a bad sport and put my XBL rep down. thats why i hate shit players who hate snipers, and they do get a bad name because of all of the " Pants on head retarded " players who just happen to walk in front of you and wave there hollow skulls at you begging to be shot.

they do get a bad rep and people that complain about them are assholes
that sucks for you, man!
Grunt 1: Hmm, this window is unoccupied, lets stand in it.
Grunt 2: Yup, ok boss.

*BANGBANG*

Grunt 1: FUCKING SNIPER!
Grunt 2: Yup, you said it boss.
Grunt 1: Lets go stand at the same window. No way could it happen again

*BANG BANG*

Grunt 1: That dude must be hacking, no way could he kill us in the exact same open location again!
Grunt 2: Yup, you said it boss. Fucking sniper's always cheat boss.
Grunt 1: Yes they do. Now shut up you fool.
I think those guys may have been wearing red shirts.

HypotheticalCynic

Jul 29, 2010
Sniping is one of the most skilled techniques a gamer can have. as opposed to the blindfolded "get a machine gun and hold the trigger" approach, there an essence of actual timing precision and tactics involved. the problem is when a 'sniper' has a machine gun and blow your balls off the minute you step into their man-cave, or you get blown to thousands of pieces by a 'sniper.'

the_unseen

Jun 18, 2009
the main problem with sniping (or its rep anyway) is that it is almost impossible to counter without turning to sniping, so their target's skill doesn't come into play, only the sniper's skill does, and as such makes sniping be considered cowardly (victim cannot fight back effectively without a sniper, especially when the sniper is hiding and near impossible to locate), overly effective (a good sniper can pick off targets without a chance for them to fight back) and overall reduces the fun of the game (aka a player dying at an almost random time for them without warning or to them, real justification)

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
Snipers don't bother me. I have respect for the people who can pick me off from halfway across the map. Although that isn't very hard, I'm not that good. I want to be a sniper but I'm much better mid-range.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I think it all comes down to the game, which is to say making sniping weapons extremely powerful but not crossing that line into ridiculous, and good map design, including spawn points, to make camping with one for very long so close to impossible as to not be worth it and just encourage movement all over the map, which will a) discourage camping and b) make it more likely someone will be in cover when that bullet comes racing in from the next county over. Incidentally a game full of people with only sniping weapons who are equally good with them (or as close as possible) on a map that isn't new to you is some of the best tense fun you can have IMHO.

Katnap_Devikat

Feb 12, 2010
This thread brings back memories of me and my mate playing CSS, and hearing over the endgame chat from the other team "AWP WHORE!". Sniping is the best if your good.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
My choice of ranged warfare is medium to close range. I play online to interact with people; hearing them scream while they charge at me, curses as they die, and I get to look into their virtual eyes as their avatar goes limp and rag-doll.

To me, snipers are a bane. I can snipe fairly well, but I choose not to because I find it extremely dull. Holding the line is fun, but I rather have an automatic as it makes more noise, more dakka, and it has so much more feeling behind it. To join the group my friends and I have made, you have to 'master' fundamentals (rifles, pistols, grenades) before we take you seriously as a player. We've seen noobs pick up sniper rifles and their kill-efficiency goes way up because it's such a boon, and if that's how they see they can win, that's how they learn is the only way they can play. I find any large sum of kills in the end-game screen done by a sniper to be hollow. Come out on the field, where there's bullets by the thousands whizzing pass you and come out unscathed and a huge tally of frags. That will impress me.

Oh, and sniping does indeed take a lot of skill...in real life.

That's my 2 cents...

Hangaround

Jul 8, 2010
HypotheticalCynic said:
Sniping is one of the most skilled techniques a gamer can have. as opposed to the blindfolded "get a machine gun and hold the trigger" approach, there an essence of actual timing precision and tactics involved. the problem is when a 'sniper' has a machine gun and blow your balls off the minute you step into their man-cave, or you get blown to thousands of pieces by a 'sniper.'
It's true that taking down targets from a distance takes some skill, but only to the extent that you have to measure in the targets movement speed. You've completely forgot to mention the normal soldier here. He who walks around with an AR and has to aim at people and respond quickly to things his perception finds noteworthy. Now pay attention to the "respond quickly" because this aspect is the one that really takes skill and separates the decent and really good shooter (not the bad one as he needs to learn aiming for the head): Altogether playing as a normal assault should usually take more skill as there are many more aspects to it then staying hidden and killing players with one bullet. You have to take in account people who will ambush you, people who are on your flank and other deadeye spots, windows, areas that give camouflage (like vegetation). All of it is fast-paced and craves quick responding to threats.

Mornelithe said:
They're a necessary part of any squad/team in Warfare, I think that's a pretty well-proven fact. I don't really care what other people think about snipers, I tend not to use any 1 class/gun the entire time I play a game. If you use them all, you get a much better grasp on leading your target.
Not at all. If you have a 4 man team(like in Bc2, one of the more popular online war games these days) you should concentrate on having a good medic, one engineer and two assaults. They will provide far better firepower and versatility then if you had a sniper. Of course you can give a sniper a G3, shotgun or red-dot sight, but then you don't really have a sniper. You have another assault with the ability to use motion mines and call in mortar strikes - which are pretty useful, but still not a sniper.

If you're talking about real warfare there's a reason why snipers often operates in 2 man teams, the shooter and the one who spots for the shooter.

1. they wouldn't do well in normal combat that's fast paced.
2. taking a shot with a sniper takes time as they are larger then, per say, AR's. This would be a major disadvantage.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Katnap_Devikat said:
This thread brings back memories of me and my mate playing CSS, and hearing over the endgame chat from the other team "AWP WHORE!". Sniping is the best if your good.
Love the AWP, when I play CS:S. Admittedly, that's not often anymore.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
I'm still trying to get over the fact that this is my first thread and it got 8 pages within a day. I'm a little proud of myself there.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
HypotheticalCynic said:
Man-cave, machine gun, blown off balls: Sounds like what my pop used to do to tresspassers... and the family cat (Joking, we didn't ever have a cat.)

MD3791

Jul 29, 2010
When playing Call of Duty, I find it hard to stay in one spot for too long, thats when I usually when I start no-scoping and quick-scoping. I've always wished if someone stayed in a spot for too long, they would spontaneously combust right on the spot.