Snippets of Footage Give First Look at Green Lantern Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Snippets of Footage Give First Look at Green Lantern Movie

Ryan Reynolds dons his CGI mask and takes to the skies in a teaser for Green Lantern's cinematic debut.

Green Lantern is the Iron Man of the DC Universe. Not in terms of powers, but rather, how well known the character is. He's turned up in enough cartoons, videogames and other media that you've probably heard the name but he's not even close to being in the same leagues as the likes of Batman or Spider-Man.

But that's likely to change next year with the release of a big-budget Green Lantern movie, starring Ryan Reynolds in the title role. Information about the movie has trickled out over the last few months, including a reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102100-Rate-Green-Lanterns-Film-Costume] of the movie's costume - which will be entirely CGI - on the cover of Entertainment Weekly, but now fans get a chance to see the whole thing in motion. Ahead of a bigger reveal on Tuesday, Entertainment Tonight has shown a few snippets of footage from the movie, giving fans their first proper look of what lies in store next June.

There's a short scene showing Reynolds donning the costume, seemingly with a thought, as well as him using his powers to battle some thugs in an alleyway. Fans of the comic books will also spot Kilowog - the big, pink alien thing - towards the end of the clip. It's hard to make any kind of judgment about the movie based on such a small amount of footage, but what little there is looks a little unpolished. It might be that the Green Lantern powers don't translate well to a live action film, or - and this is probably more likely - it could be that Entertainment Tonight picked the footage it showed for reasons other than wowing comic book fans. Either way, we'll know more on Tuesday.

Green Lantern lands in theaters on June 17th.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11/13/first-look-actual-green-lantern-footage/]

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Despite how fast it went by, the materialization of the fist looked pretty cool. I still can't shake the feeling that I'll be seeing Van Wilder: Green Lantern.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
The costume looks alot better in the teaser than it does in the picture linked, not too sure about the mask though.

I still need to get my hands on some Green Lantern comics, I've been told they're pretty good.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
looks interesting, but I always liked the Green Lantern from The Justice League. So seeing the Green Lantern white doesnt sit right with me, even though the original character was. I cant say if will be seeing this in theaters.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Jbird said:
Despite how fast it went by, the materialization of the fist looked pretty cool. I still can't shake the feeling that I'll be seeing Van Wilder: Green Lantern.
That's where I'd seen him! That's basically the same reaction I had, but I couldn't place which movie I'd seen him in. It doesn't help that the other guy in the scene where he puts on the costume looks like Kal Penn (Taj from Van Wilder). Is that him? It goes by too quick to tell.

Anyways, I'm really hopeful this turns out good, as GL is one of my favorite superheroes.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I predict that Green Lantern will be a relative flop and signal the beginning of the decline of super hero movies, assuming it hasn't started already.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
tendo82 said:
I predict that Green Lantern will be a relative flop and signal the beginning of the decline of super hero movies, assuming it hasn't started already.
What makes you say that? Marvel seems to be doing well and even if DC only has Batman to go on at the moment we should be seeing a new Superman pretty soon. And wasn't the new Superman going to be directed by Christopher Nolan? Or did I hear that wrong?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
funksobeefy said:
looks interesting, but I always liked the Green Lantern from The Justice League. So seeing the Green Lantern white doesnt sit right with me, even though the original character was. I cant say if will be seeing this in theaters.
Hmmm, well actually there are several "Green Lanterns". "The" Green Lantern is Hal Jordan (all others are poseurs) and yes he was white. The black guy is John Stewart (if I remember) who was his buddy for a long time before eventually getting a ring himself. The third "Green Lantern" is a guy called "Guy Gardner" who originally had the potential be be awesome, as the idea was that he was going to be "The Punisher" with a Green Lantern ring (Guy being the result of a split between the Guardians, with a faction deciding that they needed to be pro-active as opposed to reactive and only responding to things that already happened), he got turned into a comedy relief character though. Then of course we had *cough* Kyle Raynor who was Hal's successor and IMO wasn't even worthy of polishing the ring. :p

A lot of people have said similar things to you, and truthfully I think it shows a problem with trying to be politically correct in cartoons. When you consider that 3 out of 4 Green Lanterns that I know of are white dudes, I find it kind of odd when the only one people are familiar with is John, and how quickly it seems to turn into some kind of race issue for them. John has largely been a supporting character (despite having held his own title at times). I'd imagine they used that character because they wanted an "iconic" name and a black character. Of course he IS a better choice than Kyle who was the main Green Lantern when most of the current cartoons were made I think (but then again I think giving Krypto The Superdog a ring would have been better than Kyle). Truthfully I believe Cyborg, and Black Lightning are both supposed to be on the Justice League roster (or have been), Cyborg was in some of the older cartoons as a major fixture as well. Oddly I always thought Orpheus needed more love, but they never really developed him (he's a super hero who wound up with a bodyguard) and then had him killed off. Any of those characters probably would have been better choices and not lead to this "problem". I say it's a problem because I seem to remember similar discussions back when the "Justice League Heroes" video game was coming out, and there were massive arguements on the subject of The Green Lantern and who the "original" was and who should have been used (although to be honest all of the major ones are unlockable it turned out), largely stemming from the same cartoon. I even saw people trying to claim that Hal Jordan was an attempt to "whitewash" The Green Lantern even as an unlockable....

That said this movie doesn't sit well with me for a lot of reasons so far. A lot of people talk about the costume, but to me the problem is that every single time Ryan Renalds opens his mouth I want him to shut up. I mean even in this trailer his comments and body language make him seem like a sort of meterosexual sitcom character. The politically correct "everyman" promoted by the media trying to act like a super-hero, when that really doesn't fit the character.

With the exception of Kyle who was an artist/archetect if I recall, all of the Green Lanterns were NOT normal people. That was part of the entire point. It takes a specific attitude and a massive degree of will power to be a Green Lantern and get these powers to work (something that a lot of people tend to forget, your not just supposed to be able to put on a ring randomly and become super powerful). Hal was a Test Pilot/War Veteran, and someone who LITERALLY did not know fear (and this was not just a personality trait), John was also military, Guy was well... Guy (the best way to characterize him would be sort of like a cross between The Fonz and a school bully, but who was actually out to do the right thing, he's hard to write well, which is why I think he turned out like he did), Kyle was the closest thing to a normal guy, but was also a world class artist and "dreamer". The big gimmick with him being that as an artist/archetect his mind worked a bit differantly and his contraptions were more complicated as a result. He was argued to be more powerful (potentially) than the other Green Lanterns because of that, and the fact that unlike Hal he *did* know fear and when he got scared he'd tend to freak out a bit and actually become stronger for it.

I'm more of a marvel fan, but honestly I very much fear the whole "Van Wilder goes Super Heroic" thing. This guy does not ACT anything like The Green Lantern should, his delivery, body language, and everything else is off.

... and let's be honest, if your mostly used to John (who is very serious, and usually all business, at least in the comics. I haven't seen that much of the cartoons) I can see this portrayal as being even more painfully annoying. I suppose if you were able to tolerate Kyle for years it might not be that much of a stretch (though this seems bad even for him), but all I can say here is "wow, someone please kill this movie".

-

Also I think that movie producers and writers believe that people are far more ignorant about comic book characters than they actually are. Especially nowadays with how accessible a lot of them can be over The Internet.

Right or wrong, one of the obstacles to comic characters catching on that much was that they could be hard to follow. If you didn't read all the connected comics you could miss a lot, and finding back issues was always a pain due to limited publishing and distribution.

Comics have not only grown up with their audiences quite a bit, but have become increasingly accessible.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hayate_GT said:
im not too happy on how the costume looks on that teaser...looks to cartoon-y...
The whole teaser looked like it's from a movie released in the 90's/ early 2000 which has aged really poorly.

tendo82 said:
Which is too bad: Doesn't the WB want to make more superhero movies once the last Harry Potter is over and done with? Oh well: if that's the quality they're putting forward, no big loss.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I wouldn't write it off so soon. I'm not saying it's gonna be the next Iron Man or Dark Knight, but you can't just see a couple snippets, think about Van effing Wilder and then decide it sucks. Once the movie's out? Once there's more to see? Sure, then you can say it sucks.

I'll be optimistic for a little while longer.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
By what I saw, the action didn't look too good. Honestly, all in my perception was Reynolds jumping surprised-looking.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hmmmm it look like they took notes of this other fan made Green Lantern trailer (bits of it remind me of similar stuff used in this fan made trailer).

Either way I really hope this will be the best DC movie that isn't Batman.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well actually there are several "Green Lanterns". "The" Green Lantern is Hal Jordan (all others are poseurs) and yes he was white. The black guy is John Stewart (if I remember) who was his buddy for a long time before eventually getting a ring himself. The third "Green Lantern" is a guy called "Guy Gardner" who originally had the potential be be awesome, as the idea was that he was going to be "The Punisher" with a Green Lantern ring (Guy being the result of a split between the Guardians, with a faction deciding that they needed to be pro-active as opposed to reactive and only responding to things that already happened), he got turned into a comedy relief character though. Then of course we had *cough* Kyle Raynor who was Hal's successor and IMO wasn't even worthy of polishing the ring. :p

*snip*
Your knowledge of GLs are pretty impressive, but if you're going to be that comprehensive, why not throw in the real "original" Green Lantern, Alan Scott.

He appeared almost 20 (1940) years before Hal Jordan (1959) and he's actually a pretty compelling charachter.