Snippets of Footage Give First Look at Green Lantern Movie

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Eh, It looks kinda bad, suit's off and character's way off. I really don't mind though since the only thing that made Lantern cool was his powers.

However, where are we on the Deadpool movie?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
That looks like a bad 90s movie..Ugh..I want this to be good but I'm not holding my breath.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Scarim Coral said:
Hmmmm it look like they took notes of this other fan made Green Lantern trailer (bits of it remind me of similar stuff used in this fan made trailer).

Either way I really hope this will be the best DC movie that isn't Batman.
Not likely.

I think the best we can hope for here is that the movie won't be as bad as say the "Doctor Strange" movie from the 1970s, or a certain "Captain America" movie where he had a transparent shield and his best trick was to con people so he could take over driving their car. :p

I expect this movie will show that the idea has some potential, but it's the character's first apperance in the movies. When you look at the successful "Batman" and "Spider Man" movies you have to consider all of the previous attempts to do those characters that they learned from. Truthfully the "X-men" and "Iron Man" movies are the only super hero movies I can think of that were sucessful in their first attempt (and I could be wrong about that).

We have gems like:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075671/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077328/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181947/

Just to mention a few. Especially the last one (you are probably thinking "WTF").

This seems like an attempt to try and interpet the character through the eyes of a politically correct marketing department. The same guys who thought we should have Billy Dee Williams play Harvey Dent in Michael Keaton's first "Batman" movie, and who thought that what people wanted to see was a meterosexual Superman with relationship issues dealing with a moronic Lex Luthor with even more annoying relationship issues for "Superman Returns"... or Ang Lee's take on "The Hulk".

They DO get it right eventually, and most of those movies have at least one or two redeeming scenes. But I have a feeling this movie is going to be right up there with the Ang Lee hulk movie and "Superman Returns", however we'll see a decent (at least) one when someone learns from the train wreck this movie is going to be.

Right now I think there is enough perspective among both fanboys and moviegoers on super hero movies where simply the movie being about a super-hero is not being taken as a sign that it's going to be good. It typically takes a couple of tries before someone with a liscence like this decides to take the material seriously, and treat the fans with anything resembling respect. I think the mixed responses to this movie (starting with the costume reveals) have demonstrated the path this franchise is going to take.

We will have a good Green Lantern movie, this is simply going to be "that other one" I think, we need to endure this for them to learn the nessicary lessons. Assuming of course it doesn't get mangled to the point of "Daredevil" or "Electra" where the potential remains obvious and nobody takes the movie liscence out behind a shed.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
It looks like it is going to be far too goofy. I'm anticipating that every other word in the dialogue is going to be 'lol' and he will fall over at least seventeen banana peels by the end. Why do people still feel the need to put 'comic' relief in to what could have been decent films? Apparently some people liked Titanic, but Jar Jar Binks was nowhere to be found. Although having him horrifically drown in the North Atlantic would have done the Star Wars franchise a whole galaxy of good.

Sep 14, 2009
cursedseishi said:
dragontiers said:
It doesn't help that the other guy in the scene where he puts on the costume looks like Kal Penn (Taj from Van Wilder). Is that him? It goes by too quick to tell.
Nope, he looks a little... "bigger" than Kal, voice is different, I can see a very, very slight resemblance in just hair color and skin tone though.

And the movie looks alright. The cartoony suit could simply be just the basics of the suit. If its entirely CG (including the mask), these might just be the basic layer or so of it made for the sneak peaks, and not the more polished suit we'll then see in theaters (and dvd/bluray of course).

I think Reynolds can pull it off, as this isn't his first super role, but it will be his first as one in the spotlight for more than a portion or two of a movie so I can't necessarily guarantee it as much as I wish I could. Green Lanterns are one of the only few DC characters I like.
this. im not gonna judge to early on it, as it looks like its just basics for now, but honestly i think reynolds will fill in alot better in the deadpool spot once that movie gets a goin, so ill be more intrigued on that but still color me interested in this movie.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
TheBlueRabbit said:
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well actually there are several "Green Lanterns". "The" Green Lantern is Hal Jordan (all others are poseurs) and yes he was white. The black guy is John Stewart (if I remember) who was his buddy for a long time before eventually getting a ring himself. The third "Green Lantern" is a guy called "Guy Gardner" who originally had the potential be be awesome, as the idea was that he was going to be "The Punisher" with a Green Lantern ring (Guy being the result of a split between the Guardians, with a faction deciding that they needed to be pro-active as opposed to reactive and only responding to things that already happened), he got turned into a comedy relief character though. Then of course we had *cough* Kyle Raynor who was Hal's successor and IMO wasn't even worthy of polishing the ring. :p

*snip*
Your knowledge of GLs are pretty impressive, but if you're going to be that comprehensive, why not throw in the real "original" Green Lantern, Alan Scott.

He appeared almost 20 (1940) years before Hal Jordan (1959) and he's actually a pretty compelling charachter.

He's cool, and I didn't really think of him since truthfully I don't know all that much about the JSA side of things. I'm really more of a Marvel fanboy. I've read enough DC over the years due to liking comics to be pretty familiar with Hal Jordan and most of the direct spin offs. I believe the first time I ever looked into Alan Scott was due to his apperance of sorts in "Kingdom Come" and (I Believe) during the entire Imperiax war thing when the JSA guys attacked the ship Imperiax had prisoners on and was also using to create the duplicates of himself (it's been a while).

Technically (I just double checked on the link you put up) despite the name, and being the inspiration, he doesn't really fit into the Green Lantern mythology. He's crossed over into it (and I mean they made that obvious in Kingdom Come as a nod) but the origin of his powers is entirely differant than coming from The Guardians Of Oa and all of that stuff (which all of the characters I mentioned did).

Great referance though, I'm glad you pointed that out.

It's fairly similar to knowing about the World War II Android who was "The Human Torch" (and who has met and even fought Johnny Storm since then). He's been around, but generally not what anyone thinks of when they talk about "The Human Torch" and can be brought up for "nerd points" if someone refers to Johnny as the original... :p

To be honest though the whole "Invaders" thing is better known than it used to be though, especially seeing as the relationship between Namor and Cap from that shared history was a big part of the resolution of the "Civil War" mega-event Marvel did a few years ago.

I'll also be honest in saying that I don't follow comics as much as I used to (though I still get some TPBs now and again). I just have a certain opinion of what "The Green Lantern" should be like, especially if your making a movie that is supposed to capture the essence of the character.

While I think people are more aware of comics than Hollywood gives them credit for, I do think a lot of people are going to come up seeing this BEFORE they read any comics, and some will indeed be being introduced to the character through it. I just hope that if this movie is as bad as it seems, it will open the door for them to do it right in a couple of years.

It's sort of like how kids who know the character through the most recent cartoons think of the character as being black. One of the Green Lanterns is, but that isn't what the actual character that John spun off of was. From what I've seen of Ryan Renald's performance so far, I'd really hate for people to grow up as thinking of The Green Lantern as a "modern meterosexual" sitcom fodder character. Like many heroes, especially classic ones, he's supposed to be bigger than life. That's what makes him iconic, nobody could ever be quite like that, but it gives one something to aspire to so to speak. The idea of being a super hero, especially one like "The Green Lantern" is not for the character to be extremely human. I understand the appeal of very "human" characters, and it works in some cases, but characters like this are the ones that need to exist for stories like "The Watchmen" to make sense as a counterpoint to.

Ah well I'm rambling from simple comments. Apologies about the long, irrelevent post. :p

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
tendo82 said:
I predict that Green Lantern will be a relative flop and signal the beginning of the decline of super hero movies, assuming it hasn't started already.
and Thor will solidify the descent.

This movie will be terrible just look at the last comic book movie he was in (Blade 3) that was just shocking

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
The costume's "radioactive sausage" look has been toned down a bit, but I think they're relying a little too much on the CGI effects....as for Thor and Captain America's movies, they could go either way at this point.

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
My main problem is Ryan Reynolds, not as an actor, I think he's a good actor and funny when he wants to be, his timing and delivery are able to save relatively poor movies (Just Friends), but it's the way he looks, he has this really long thin face, which doesn't look right when put in a costume, I know it might sound a tad superficial of me, but Ryan Reynolds dressed as The Green Lantern, looks just like that, Ryan Reynolds DRESSED AS The Green Lantern, he doesn't look like The Green Lantern, he looks like some douche going to a Halloween party.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I completely agree with you Dragon Force! I thought it was only me that thought that way. The guy who played Cyclops or the actor from Vampire Diaries would be much better as they have the jaw for being a superhero XD

Back to the teaser... Too much CGI! Too comical! When are they gonna learn?

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
I watched it again and oh boy. Why does he look so shitty in his suit?

The best suit out there is still Spidermans. It was basically the perfect transition o,,o
Maybe one of the easier, especially thanks to the full mask but yeh.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
Every time Ryan Reynolds opened his god damn mouth I swear I wanted to punch him
I honestly don't think this is going to turn out well
Especially if Reynolds acts like that throughout the whole movie

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
Big budget? Did they stroll the red light disctricts around the world with all that money or spend it on booze? I can't really see this as anything other than a very bad comedy. One that makes you hung your head and change channels rather than getting a laugh or two.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Urgh. Hal Jordan isn't all serious, but he's way more serious than what was portrayed there. The suit still sucks. Kilowag looks... interesting. Also, I really hope that giant green lantern emblem wasn't the power battery.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
I love Green Lantern, always have... but this just looks terrible.

The costume is a joke, the mask is just "why?", (what is it doing to his eyes?).. and the actual 'transformation' is just some bland morph effect.....

I doubt I'll waste £8 for this.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
You know, i never cared for the green lantern.

He was always one of my least favorite heros. I would much rather see a "Soul Reaver" movie be made insted.