Snippets of Footage Give First Look at Green Lantern Movie

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
People, look on the bright side; There's no way it's going to be worse than the Fantastic Four movies.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
"I know, right?!"

I'm actually really excited about this. Ryan Reynolds can do no wrong right now.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Eh, I can't honestly say that I'm remotely intrigued by the movie after those clips. I will also come out and say that I do not like super heroes/comics on their own, but enjoy some of the films of this following strictly for being entertaining to me. Therefore, I am not one to point out any inaccuracies or comic flaws, but just as a moviegoer, I had several reactions, none positive.

As others have stated, the movie appears too animated and breaks any suspension of disbelief because it is like Ryan Reynolds is replaced by a half CGI character with the suit on.

The clips also leads me to feel like they saw the success of Iron Man and tried to copy that same verve and playfulness. However, again as others have noted, Reynolds brings more to mind past movies like "Van Wilder" and "Waiting" which makes it difficult to approach this premise with any sense of seriousness or action-movie excitement, even. Right away I think more along the lines of that "Flame-on" guy from the Fantastic Four getting his own film where there is little to no counter-balance to appeal of mature and more serious themes.

Regardless, it may still be a really good flick, but I am left with little more than apathy as to whether or not it does well.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
tendo82 said:
I predict that Green Lantern will be a relative flop and signal the beginning of the decline of super hero movies, assuming it hasn't started already.
I don't agree. With successful Iron Man and Batman movies out in the last few years, the genre is in the best shape it's been in in a while. Marvel are now being more involved in their films, and DC are being more conservative and careful with theirs. The major francises are yet to come out, with Captain America and the Avengers, and Wonder Woman etc. Green Lantern and Thor are just bridging the gap, and don't look terrible. Thor looks a bit plasticky, but none of them are looking as dire as Daredevil or Fantastic Four

TheBlueRabbit said:
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well actually there are several "Green Lanterns". "The" Green Lantern is Hal Jordan (all others are poseurs) and yes he was white. The black guy is John Stewart (if I remember) who was his buddy for a long time before eventually getting a ring himself. The third "Green Lantern" is a guy called "Guy Gardner" who originally had the potential be be awesome, as the idea was that he was going to be "The Punisher" with a Green Lantern ring (Guy being the result of a split between the Guardians, with a faction deciding that they needed to be pro-active as opposed to reactive and only responding to things that already happened), he got turned into a comedy relief character though. Then of course we had *cough* Kyle Raynor who was Hal's successor and IMO wasn't even worthy of polishing the ring. :p

*snip*
Your knowledge of GLs are pretty impressive, but if you're going to be that comprehensive, why not throw in the real "original" Green Lantern, Alan Scott.

He appeared almost 20 (1940) years before Hal Jordan (1959) and he's actually a pretty compelling charachter.
You can't count Alan Scott, he's not a real Green Lantern, he made his separately, and they blended the history (badly) to make the universe continuity flow... so ner XP

Tipsy Giant said:
tendo82 said:
I predict that Green Lantern will be a relative flop and signal the beginning of the decline of super hero movies, assuming it hasn't started already.
and Thor will solidify the descent.

This movie will be terrible just look at the last comic book movie he was in (Blade 3) that was just shocking
Sorry, but he was in Wolverine. It wasn't a good movie, but he's also lined up to play Deadpool. Reynolds is in demand at the moment, and I reckon Deadpool will be very good, especially with the amount of input Reynolds is putting into the film

SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Right away I think more along the lines of that "Flame-on" guy from the Fantastic Four getting his own film
He is, it's called Captain America...

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
And suddenly across the interwebs came an earth shaking shudder of​
[HEADING=1]MEH[/HEADING]​

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Verlander said:
tendo82 said:
I don't agree. With successful Iron Man and Batman movies out in the last few years, the genre is in the best shape it's been in in a while. Marvel are now being more involved in their films, and DC are being more conservative and careful with theirs. The major francises are yet to come out, with Captain America and the Avengers, and Wonder Woman etc. Green Lantern and Thor are just bridging the gap, and don't look terrible. Thor looks a bit plasticky, but none of them are looking as dire as Daredevil or Fantastic Four
Honestly, while I agree with you in general, from what little footage we've seen this is... well, it's going to be bad. I'm immediately (aesthetically) reminded of the The Phantom film from the '90s.

You're right, we are getting some very good comic book adaptations, but I really don't think that Green Lantern is going to be one of the standouts.

Verlander said:
Sorry, but he was in Wolverine. It wasn't a good movie, but he's also lined up to play Deadpool. Reynolds is in demand at the moment, and I reckon Deadpool will be very good, especially with the amount of input Reynolds is putting into the film
Now there's a film I am looking forward to.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
The Great JT said:
I really hope this doesn't suck.
See, this why I'm a pessimist. I not going to be disappointed, because I already think this movie is going to blow chunks.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Verlander said:
tendo82 said:

TheBlueRabbit said:
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well actually there are several "Green Lanterns". "The" Green Lantern is Hal Jordan (all others are poseurs) and yes he was white. The black guy is John Stewart (if I remember) who was his buddy for a long time before eventually getting a ring himself. The third "Green Lantern" is a guy called "Guy Gardner" who originally had the potential be be awesome, as the idea was that he was going to be "The Punisher" with a Green Lantern ring (Guy being the result of a split between the Guardians, with a faction deciding that they needed to be pro-active as opposed to reactive and only responding to things that already happened), he got turned into a comedy relief character though. Then of course we had *cough* Kyle Raynor who was Hal's successor and IMO wasn't even worthy of polishing the ring. :p

*snip*
Your knowledge of GLs are pretty impressive, but if you're going to be that comprehensive, why not throw in the real "original" Green Lantern, Alan Scott.

He appeared almost 20 (1940) years before Hal Jordan (1959) and he's actually a pretty compelling charachter.
You can't count Alan Scott, he's not a real Green Lantern, he made his separately, and they blended the history (badly) to make the universe continuity flow... so ner XP

Tipsy Giant said:
tendo82 said:

This movie will be terrible just look at the last comic book movie he was in (Blade 3) that was just shocking

SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Right away I think more along the lines of that "Flame-on" guy from the Fantastic Four getting his own film
He is, it's called Captain America...
I love the fact you set out to defend him and list another more recent example of him being in shit comic book movies

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
I always thought that the premise of Green Lantern - a sci-fi universe of interstellar civilizations overseen by a force of super-powered beings - was held back by its Golden Age DC Comics exectution - a bunch of monochromatic jumpsuits, chiseled jawlines, vague powers and cheezy villains.

The movie continues to look moderately fun though. I'm just waiting for Ryan Reynolds to get around to the Deadpool movie.

Kilowog looks like a friggin Krogan...

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
tendo82 said:
It's as if with Iron Man, comic book movie makers said, "Woah! They liked it! I wonder how much of the weird obscure Marvel Universe stuff we can squeeze in before audiences start balking..."

Case in point, you could pretty much cut S.H.I.E.L.D out of Iron Man 2 completely and nothing would really be lost, and Origins: Wolverine basically had random arcane comic references oozing out of its nose and mouth. Thor is, finally, the comic book movie that is just one long reference to a weird Marvel thing that no one particularly likes.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Jbird said:
Despite how fast it went by, the materialization of the fist looked pretty cool. I still can't shake the feeling that I'll be seeing Van Wilder: Green Lantern.
I thought exactly that. Reynolds is a good actor and I've seen him pull off the non-Van Wildery roles, but this looks like him just slipping back into that.

BrunDeign said:
tendo82 said:

What makes you say that? Marvel seems to be doing well and even if DC only has Batman to go on at the moment we should be seeing a new Superman pretty soon. And wasn't the new Superman going to be directed by Christopher Nolan? Or did I hear that wrong?
Nolan will only be producing, I believe Zack Snyder is directing.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
This looks surprisingly good!

It's also nice to see the healthy dose of insecure internet males being all huffed and puffed about how much they hate Ryan Reynolds for his looks, unable to admit that the guy is ridiculously talented and was chosen for the role for a reason.

That short clip got me waiting for the trailer at the very least. It'll be nice to have a superhero adventure film which isn't brooding and dark for a change.
I beg your pardon.

Talented.. really?.. REALLY?.... as far as movies go these days there's no such thing as talent.. It's not as if you actually get a real performance from 'movie stars' these days.. they are all just chosen for the face they always put across, not for a face they might be able to put on. The entire movie industry relies on the cult of personality now... acting.. REAL acting, where there is a difference from the character you see to the person doing the actual portraying doesn't exist anymore.

SO for you to say 'ridiculously talented' then berated a bunch of people for not having so low a bar as yourself, is rather silly... The words 'rampant fanboism' are certainly relevent here.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Tipsy Giant said:
I love the fact you set out to defend him and list another more recent example of him being in shit comic book movies
I'd realised that halfway through typing it, but I'd already committed my self by that point XD

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
I'm actually looking forward to this. I was skeptical at first, but this could be pretty good

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Anyone else get a weird Uncanny Valley feeling when they look at Reynold's plastic CGI face?